• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Didn't Yumizuru stop doing IS because he got in argument with publisher over chinese publishing?
Yeah, but apparently he was shopping it around or something. He still has the rights to the IP it seems. Besides, there's more than enough crap already written to make another season anyway (with lots more haremites!).

Just listened to some of their songs and wow, they are pretty good.
Yep, and it fits the show so perfectly!

Aria is SatoJun's OG :firehawk show yo. Based on a disgustingly pleasant & heartwarming healing manga.
lol
They also did the YKK OVA music too. I assume that has to be where SatoJun discovered them... and why I want them to be connected!

No other series had a better concept or put together a more satisfying mix of humor, action, music, character development, and emotion. It has some of the year's most gut-bustingly funny moments, great insert songs with beautifully-animated performances, a generally high level of technical merit, and the classic Key touch at wringing out tear-jerking moments. Yeah, it is a little heavy-handed at times, but its final episode is also a sterling effort which embodies the desire for closure that lies at the core of the series.
What show is this again?

I can confirm one thing. That Accel World is a far, far better looking show than Cross Game.
Damn son...

Instro

Eureka 7 AO 21

Yeah this show is getting worse by the episode. Rather apathetic to the whole thing at this point. Disappointing Bones.

Articalys

Sword Art Online 12

I can already guess how most of you will react to this episode, but I liked it. Looking forward to the next two episodes more, though.
The reaper's weird googly eyes did kind of detract from the moment.

Also,
from the moment I first saw the OP, way back before I knew anything else about the series, I could already guess that the mysterious girl in the white dress surrounded by data was an AI, as I'm sure many of you did as well. Then again, they weren't exactly trying to hide it.

Yeah, but apparently he was shopping it around or something. He still has the rights to the IP it seems. Besides, there's more than enough crap already written to make another season anyway (with lots more haremites!).

Oh. Well that gives us hope that we will see second season sometime in future! It will be glorious.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I read it in the midst of reading a bunch of guro comics (don't look at me like that) so it was quite the change of pace.
That's an interesting breadth of material. lol

Prepping my impressions of Little Busters.
Ah, okay.

Hmmph. All men are the same!
Men suck!

lol

Better than 13!
I can't remember... are the extra episodes streaming only? Like with Saki (which never happened!!!!)?

Jex

Damn son...
Well, on the other hand Accel World doesn't have background animation this good:

crossq_zps6e1ebb49.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, on the other hand Accel World doesn't have background animation this good:

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/crossq_zps6e1ebb49.gif
Hey man, anime is hard!

Do we still compare a 50eps daytime anime with late night animes?
Well, if Accel World gets a second 24 episode order...

Prepping my impressions of Little Busters.
I just read the wikipedia... Key is back in the Fall! Dear god...

Just out of curiosity, what do you think makes their most recent works so popular with a certain fanbase?. Afterall, Angel Beats is a very well liked show in many places, although obviously not in this thread,

The particular brand of character-driven melodrama that P.A. Works likes to employ strikes a chord with a lot of anime watchers; that's the only explanation I can think of.

If I were going to be cruel I would call that a tautology.

You can only be disappointed if you expect something to begin with.

I compare one show to another without fear or favour.

You're just tyring to do some cheap jokes. That a daytime anime has a smaller budget than a late-night anime is fact, so the question is if you prefer a Cross Game how it is (simple animation and cheap looking parts) or nothing.

Sword Art Online 12

This was a decent, somewhat enjoyable episode, but it was ultimately weighed down by it's mediocre pacing and the noticeable lack of interesting action. This SS arc was well-adapted and quite necessary for parts of
ALO
, but it was a bit too slow at times, lacking the energy and intrigue of the few episodes that preceded it. Despite that, it was still better than all the other SS episodes, and it introduced a great character; one that will
play a rather significant role later in the story

The revelation that Yui is an AI was quite predictable, but it was a nice moment
. I felt, given the time constraints, that
Yui's touching relationship with Asuna and Kirito
was one of the stronger elements of this arc, despite how rushed those developments occasionally were. The pacing was rather poor throughout this episode, intermittently dragging, without many exciting moments thrown in. The very small bits of action were decent, but, unfortunately, still shots were all too prevalent once again.

I'm really looking forward to the next episode though, since it should be pretty great, due to it being the
final episode of this arc
. It's just a shame that the extremely inconsistent
ALO
arc is the one that follows, however excellently it lends itself to a fantastic conclusion.

survivor

Banned
So according to this, Production IG has set up some sort of division in Ottawa, Canada. The source is in Japanese so I'm not sure if there were any other important info.

But anyway, will that mean maybe some anime films screening in Ottawa in the future or is it all just business stuff that won't affect me?

jbug617

Banned
Kuroko's Basketball 25 (end)

Glorious final episode even if I did cry.
Wanted Kise to win so much, why does Aominecchi have to be so overpowered like that and then to find out that wasnt all that he can do, what even?! lol wow. Oh well Kise was still amazing as well as his teammates, teamwork > individual strength everyday. Aominecchi should have helped him up there at the end when he was struggling to stand, oh well at least his captain did it.

And such a tease for the winter cup, which needs to get animated at some point in time, end anime moment
Akashi there pre and post credits looked amazing. I like his dual eye color and cant even imagine what his ability may be. Murasakibara also, like the hair color and surprised he didnt talk to Kuroko or Kuroko to him.

Yeah episode 25 was a good way to the end the season. I was just watching the end credits and the teaser scenes show some important things to come and they did it chronological order. This episode ended at chapter 75 in the manga.

For the second season there are even more players to introduce other than the Akashi and Mursakibara however those 2 are the monsters.

Sword Art Online 12
tumblr_marqexdHRn1qct8j3o1_500.gif

Kirito was so funny throughout the whole early portion of the episode. I liked how he was getting so into fighting those random frogs and the sounds and his smiles and excitement from it, and just getting more food for Weaksuna to cook. Fun.

But for the serious portion of it, it was so good.
Im still fearing for Kiritos life. No way he can continue to keep escaping death like this. Though this time also really flashy like when he was against that boss with the burst stream, but now with Yui's huge firery epic sword, which he ought to have gotten (did he?), but that was too close to comfort. I pray he wont die or something or need to be revived by Weaksuna or something, causes hes escaping death way too much.

Underlying mechanics and workings of SAO is actually interesting.
I like when there is rouge AI that is personified really cool thing with sci-fi stuff

Firemind

Well, this arc was dumb.

Ignoring the bad pacing and the deus ex machina, I have no real emotional investment in these characters.

Can we go back to the glopping?

So, in a number of hours I'll be seeing Wolf Children get hyped!

Enjoy the Hosodastonishment!

Soma

Sword Art Online 12

Kirito, MMO Father of the year.

Yui too OP. This episode might've actually been kinda heartfelt if the story was extended another episode or two. Instead, the rushed pacing just made it really hard for me to care about it at all though. The
Reaper 'battle'
was also another example of discarded potential. Eh, just a weak arc in general in my opinion. I'm hoping it bounces back from this otherwise I'm just going to lose interest in this altogether.

Jex

You're just tyring to do some cheap jokes. That a daytime anime has a smaller budget than a late-night anime is fact, so the question is if you prefer a Cross Game how it is (simple animation and cheap looking parts) or nothing.

No. I will freely compare any anime to any other anime, which isn't to say that I expect TV shows to look like movies. I don't make concessions for external factors such as it's airing time or genre. Those things really don't matter with relation to the finished product. If it looks bad I am going to call it out.

Incidentally, 'bigger budget' doesn't necessarily equate to 'better animation'.

Kokoro Connect 12
tumblr_maricrNoiq1qjklx2o3_500.png

If only :/ As an Aoki fan this was an awesome episode. He has been so good this arc and the consistent focus (even when he gets young) is pleasing. I liked his plot and its resolution and just learning more about him and his motivations. Taichi is a good friend for him.

The new Opening theme is pretty good. I wish they said who the singer and title is, I feel as if Ive heard the voice before.

Firemind

Not even the time period?

It's the age-old discussion of what constitutes as quality cinematography. It differs from person to person, but there's no denying there are a number of factors that affects whether something looks good or bad and is therefore (less) watchable. Camera movement, angles, lighting, sound editing, pre-production, post-production etc. are pretty important too.

No. I will freely compare any anime to any other anime, which isn't to say that I expect TV shows to look like movies. I don't make concessions for external factors such as it's airing time or genre. Those things really don't matter with relation to the finished product. If it looks bad I am going to call it out.

Incidentally, 'bigger budget' doesn't necessarily equate to 'better animation'.

That's nonsense, you know exactly what you will get with a daytime anime. And that Accel World look better than Cross Game should be no surprise, so even trying to compare both animes is pointless.

You can complain about Cross Game so much you want in an episode review or whatever, I mean it's not wrong after all, but to push it like with the Accel World comparison is ridiculous.

/XX/

Emunoz, what would it take for you to visit consistently?

What do I have to do for you?
We don't need him! Coming here to re-post things means he isn't reading our comments anymore, he doesn't cares about us now... bah! Leave him alone...

I want more of your presence in here, EmmanuelMuñoz! Is it because there aren't more classics for you to watch and review? Or because nothing interests you enough of the next season to share your current expectations? Tell us, please.

Jex

That's nonsense, you know exactly what you will get with a daytime anime. And that Accel World look better than Cross Game should be no surprise, so even trying to compare both animes is pointless.

There's two distinct points you're tying to make here:

a) Daytime anime doesn't look good and so you can't complain about it.

b) It's not reasonable to compare a Daytime anime to a Night-anime.

As I've already dealt with the first point, I should probably focus on your second. It seems like you may have missed some stage in the conversation that people were having in the thread:
Maybe ... but AW is way more fun ..to watch or to read that's for sure.
Since Jexhius is watching both at the same time, he should be able to tell us for sure!
I can confirm one thing. That Accel World is a far, far better looking show than Cross Game.
Which isn't the same thing as saying: "It's really shocking that Accel World looks better than Cross Game".

So we're going to get another 2-cour AW and a 2-cour SAO? Fucking Japan.

Besides, if nerds are so desperate for shitty wishfulfillment, where the fuck is Infinite Stratos 2? That shit printed money!

I remember when one still could say:

"I bet shit like Infinite Stratos is getting a second season, ugh"

good times ;_;

Narag

Sword Art Online 12

Pretty forced emotion there. The Yui/Kiritio/Asuna relationship appeared out of nowhere rather than developing naturally so the impact this episode should have had was non-existent. Longer development would have helped quite a bit.

:lol @ Kirito (and Asuna) being the only characters who could move Yui and Kirito's GM skillz.

Even with those hangups, I liked the ep, particularly the fight resolution.

Sword Art Online 12

I can already guess how most of you will react to this episode, but I liked it. Looking forward to the next two episodes more, though.
The reaper's weird googly eyes did kind of detract from the moment.

Also,
from the moment I first saw the OP, way back before I knew anything else about the series, I could already guess that the mysterious girl in the white dress surrounded by data was an AI, as I'm sure many of you did as well. Then again, they weren't exactly trying to hide it.

Good call about the OP and I forgot to mention those eyes too. So out of place.

Yeah episode 25 was a good way to the end the season. I was just watching the end credits and the teaser scenes show some important things to come and they did it chronological order. This episode ended at chapter 75 in the manga.

For the second season there are even more players to introduce other than the Akashi and Mursakibara however those 2 are the monsters.

I cant even imagine what all the other players are like based on what we saw this season, and I guess everyone weve seen this season has definitely improved and learned new tricks for that winter tourney.

Um, wasn't Dennou Coil a daytime anime?

Dennou Coil - Saturday, 18:30
(and pushed as new big main stream hit)
Cross Game - Sunday, 10:00

so, seriously?

There's two distinct points you're tying to make here:

a) Daytime anime doesn't look good and so you can't complain about it.

b) It's not reasonable to compare a Daytime anime to a Night-anime.

As I've already dealt with the first point, I should probably focus on your second. It seems like you may have missed some stage in the conversation that people were having in the thread:

Which isn't the same thing as saying: "It's really shocking that Accel World looks better than Cross Game".

I can't see the logical jump from the plot discussion to your artstyle comparison.

cajunator

Banned
Eureka 7 AO 21

Wow, this show is terrible. I can't wait to see what completely absurd event or twist happens next.

Get it together, Bones.

Elena is the best thing about AO. She brightens up every scene she's in. Thoraxes knows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvHcBq7UaY0

Call cazunator
Also call obnoxious convention attendees

Holy mother of catgirls :O

some people such as myself prefer the audiovisual medium regardless of how it compares to the source material.

Same. I dont read manga or LNs so anime is the only media I am exposed to in this hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom