• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've finally been able to watch more anime recently so I decided to get through all of Space Brothers, and man is it such a great show. Really "feel good" like Tsuritama was. I'm delving into Fate/Zero now since I didn't really watch anything from past seasons (If anyone could tell me the worthwhile shows from 2011 Fall and Winter seasons it would be much appreciated). I'm on episode 7 now and it's definitely picked up from that slow opening.

Fall
Hunter x Hunter 2011 is still going and really good for long shounen action
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon is also worth checking out, simply for the action, some of the detailed debating, and the music.
Guilty Crown - one of the most talked about anime of the year, its an experience that must be undertaken.
Kimi to Boku best slice of life ever.
Phi Brain - Kami no Puzzle - Pahzuru one can never have too many puzzle anime

Sekaiichi Hatsukoi if youre interested in bl.

Winter
Daily Lives of Highschool Boys is a worthwhile school teen comedy anime, really funny.
Aquarion Evol is a must watch, for the story, characters, and just some of the mindblowing plot points.
Another is a good mystery/suspense/thriller, I liked.

Brave 10 is also worth watching, really underrated and grew on me out of season, fun sword and such era anime.

Kettch

I really don't know why you guys dumped the old system of simply bolding an episode title/number and then posting plain text spoilers for it.

With the new system I have no way of telling for sure whether someone is posting spoilers for that episode or spoilers for future parts of the series. Some people explicitly mention it, some I can guess at and others are just who knows?

Narag

Poyopoyo 38

qquj4l.jpg
Amazing from start to finish.

survivor

Banned
I've finally been able to watch more anime recently so I decided to get through all of Space Brothers, and man is it such a great show. Really "feel good" like Tsuritama was. I'm delving into Fate/Zero now since I didn't really watch anything from past seasons (If anyone could tell me the worthwhile shows from 2011 Fall and Winter seasons it would be much appreciated). I'm on episode 7 now and it's definitely picked up from that slow opening.

Fall:

Un-Go

Winter:

Daily Lives of High School Boys
Ano Natsu

trejo

If anyone could tell me the worthwhile shows from 2011 Fall and Winter seasons it would be much appreciated.

Fall:

Chihayafuru
Ben-To (although some episodes are entirely skippable)
Working!! S2
Yozakura Quartet OVAs (indecipherable if you're not familiar with the source material bot sooo good-looking)
Kyousogiga (Indecipherable no matter what but same reason as above)

Winter:

Daily Lives of High School Boys aka Nichibros

NewFresh

Emunoz, what would it take for you to visit consistently?

What do I have to do for you?

Well, pretty much this:
I think we all need to watch 80s OVAs of questionable quality to draw him back.

And probably getting me fired would also help :p

putting out couldn't hurt!

No, man! Thank our friend EmmanuelMuñoz for RE-POSTING it earlier, he has nearly ABANDONED us, but is still a good guy...

...a very good guy... yeah.

Ahora me siento como un idiota! This is what I get for neglecting this beautiful place :(

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Hey, welcome aboard. You've already watched the best of the year, so great to hear that you've had some good experiences recently.

As for good stuff that aired in Fall 2011/Winter 2012, those seasons were fairly slim pickings but I would recommend:

Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou (Daily Lives of High School Boys) - personally, my favorite comedy anime of the year. It relies a lot on misdirection, subversion, and drawing out the humor in mundane scenarios. It's an incredibly low-budget series but the humor is executed so well that you really won't notice.

Chihayafuru - As long as you keep your expectations in check after the incredibly strong start, it's a fun and unconventional sports series with shoujo romance elements, endearing characters, and a great OST.

At the risk of being too conservative those are the only two series from those seasons that I feel comfortable recommending.

Mirai Nikki. It's almost like Death Note + Higurashi no naku koro ni if you are familiar with those.

NewFresh

Maybe if I do a post on the ridiculously depressing 1975 anime version of The Little Mermaid it'll draw emunoz out of hiding. He still has to watch Utena so we can be Japanese word for friends.

Don't tease me like that, it's not very nice.

There's bound to be some incriminating stuff around here. I'm sure we can work something out.

Se te quiere emubro, se te quiere.

I was going to say "I regret nothing!" but I'm not fully aware of the things I've posted in these threads. Be merciful!

Jarmel

Banned
Hagure Yuusha no Esetica- 12

This is exactly how you do not do a finale. You do not dedicate half the fucking final episode to further developments and revelations. Unless you have without a doubt, a future season lined up, this isn't even bullshit in the way of an incomplete ending(in that it just cuts out) but rather some cocktease in order to sell more LNs or manga.

As for the rest of the show, the main character is the sole reason I didn't drop the show. His extreme personality carried the show when I would have dropped it. The other characters including the main female lead were extremely boring and shallow.

The music and art were on the bad side and absolutely not mentioning in the slightest.

Narag

Demon City Shinjuku

1988 Madhouse OVA that hits the usual Kawajiri notes what with a mysterious old guy, an initially unwilling chatty protag, monsters, and some hot action. I wouldn't call this good as it's like a series of loosely connected action scenes that embraces the formula of introduce demon, fight demon, vaguely progress the story. It felt like Kawajiri's notable stuff although significantly less refined as if he hadn't perfected the formula yet. It also felt reminded me a lot of the X/1999 movie I watched earlier which is amusing as apparently he went on to direct that TV series.

The OVA is based off the first novel by Hideyuki Kikuchi of Vampire Hunter D & Wicked City fame. I'm tempted to pick it up as the first two are bundled together on kindle but an amazon review about the translation quality has me hesitant.

What's wrong with Cross Game? The story is great and the characters are great. It's probably my favorite anime.

i'll just say that i will not state that cross game is a bad anime ... just that i didn't enjoy it ..
as it's nothing but an affair of taste ..i'll not comment further ..

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Damn, Narag, you are a beast.

Backlog season is almost over and I accomplished nothing. I was supposed to have several 50-100 episode series marathoned by now. Clearly I'm not as cut out for professional anime watching as I once thought.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Damn, Narag, you are a beast.

Backlog season is almost over and I accomplished nothing. I was supposed to have several 50-100 episode series marathoned by now. Clearly I'm not as cut out for professional anime watching as I once thought.
It's because you insist on watching shows you don't enjoy!

/XX/

And probably getting me fired would also help :p

putting out couldn't hurt!
Macho, si estabas ocupado por motivos de trabajo entonces entiendo perfectamente el hecho de no verte más a menudo por aquí. ¡Ahora el que parece idiota soy yo! Lo siento por insistir tanto antes (bueno, era en tono jocoso y todo eso).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
PoyoPoyo 37
The stuff of nightmares.
Macho, si estabas ocupado por motivos de trabajo entonces entiendo perfectamente el hecho de no verte más a menudo por aquí. ¡Ahora el que parece idiota soy yo! Lo siento por insistir tanto antes (bueno, era en tono jocoso y todo eso).
Nos van a correr del tema si siguen así.

Kazzy

I don't think Sakura comes across as too likeable at all. She learns, reverts, and it wasn't until episode 12 that I thought any compassion she had felt natural. I had reservations myself early on too as, while I enjoy the full cast interacting, it took awhile to get to that point due to constant introductions. If you didn't find anything redeemable thus far, I'd have to agree you're at a good place to stop as the next episode features more forced drama and the one after that is a fan service ep that sets up the final episodes.

I relented, but I at least feel vindicated here, in so much that it actually looks like it might deliver a satisfying conclusion. I was actually interested in what they have set up here, and it figures, that it'd suddenly become engaging in the penultimate episode.

Dat Death Note scene!

Narag

Oh wow, Demon City Shinjuku has one of those dubs. The kid in it inexplicably has a Spanish accent and the girl is now British.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It's because you insist on watching shows you don't enjoy!

Maybe I'm overstating the level of my non-enjoyment, hahah.

I've also been ill most of the summer which has slowed me down, but I'm still disappointed in myself! No Gintama, no Ojamajo Doremi, no Sailor Moon SuperS, no catching up on One Piece, I suck.

I don't mean to sound cruel or anything but I can't really take anyone who honestly thinks this seriously.

It's totally fine if you feel that way but... really?

That's alright, but what exactly don't you like about the story, direction, or character development? I probably also have a slightly skewed perspective because the majority of the other summer shows I'm watching at the moment are comparative trash, so I might be a bit more lenient on this one.

For instance, the character development isn't nearly as skilfully woven into the story such as that found in Hyouka, but it, for the most part, has been more than satisfying, rarely failing to deliver moments of growth and subtle development for the main characters.
Aoki and Yui
were the most woefully under-developed characters until now, but that's changed a bit.
Iori and Inaba
have grown considerably as characters, particularly Inaba, and I see
Iori's
development as more of a slow, gradual evolution, as there have been numerous moments littered throughout the story that have touched upon the
uncertain, fixed mask she creates for herself, and how vague and unsettling the dichotomy might be between her true self and the emotional facade she wears for others.
Also, it seems like the next episode and possibly the next arc will focus quite a bit more on her.
Taichi
has had excellent characterization, but, admittedly, not much actual character development, since he hasn't really been forced to reconcile the rather large part of his personality that is inclined to
selfishly help others, basically fulfilling this "white knight" persona
. Perhaps nuanced was the wrong word to use, because at times the character development can be awfully straightforward, but it's certainly been strongly present up to this point.

I don't know if there's much I can elaborate on regarding the story, since that's more a matter of taste and particular interest, but, as for me, the story has been quite intriguing and refreshing, due mostly to the manner in which it swiftly moves between events, never really dragging too long on one point or emotion. Occasionally, the phenomenons and resulting developments can feel a bit contrived, but, overall, I think it handles the plethora of disparate elements at play really well, rarely faltering or degrading into an uneven mess of cliched emotions and contrived plot points. The direction is quite good and consistent, actually. It's certainly not on the same level as Natsuyuki Rendezvous, Hyouka, or even Jinrui, but it does a good job of balancing the drama and slight humor, seldom ever derailing into forced emotions and unconvincing character actions, and said direction has rather delicately handled the complex pacing, save for small portions of the second arc that, from time to time, needlessly focused on the dramatic side of the equation a bit too much.

Of course, I'll be able to dissect these points far more once the show is complete, since these small hints towards larger story and character developments might very well be left unanswered. It's certainly not a perfect show, but it's well above average for me, and far more enjoyable and consistently impressive than most others have been this season, and year, for that matter.

Sword Art Online Episode 12

I'm probably too ill-cultured and unrefined to understand why I should hate this episode so it’s no surprise that I really liked it. I felt myself invoking suspension of disbelief for the first time I could remember when Kirito understood
how to copy the AI out of the system
. Up till now, I was able to dismiss all the skilled feats he's executed because he was in the beta so I just understood him as someone who knew a lot about the game systems. This could still be seen as working though since if you accept that he's able to do that to the system then it follows he has skills that makes it possible for him to do the extraordinary things he's been doing in the system thus far. How he has these skills beyond whatever he's picked up in the beta is beyond me and may never be answered but is not in direct conflict with any other rules they've established in the universe. I'll have to go by faith.

This was an excellent episode as always; I eat this stuff up. My only real criticism is the moment I caught Asuna in a lie or perhaps she was just swept up by emotions when she promised
Yui that they would be together forever
. I enjoyed the way the writer made the promise impossible to keep at one moment and then made it not only possible
but removed the only blocking condition to Asuna's promise by creating a way for the A.I. to be copied out of the game which completely exonerated her
. I had to put on my cynical adult hat every time Asuna and Kirito
referred to Yui as their child because it felt like to me the kids were playing house
but if I consider being empathetic, you have to imagine that being in this world where you can live or die would give me a sense of longing to hold on to anything that seems real. I mean sure they won't have to worry about the financial and social pressures of
raising a child in our human society and the un-empowerment a parent must feel when they can't simply just vanquish any foes to their child. The writer probably left them, even if unkown to the character, the feeling of losing a friend
. Kirito and Asuna not understanding this is a reflection of their age.

I know most of my thoughts on the show are purely expository but I like that the show is written well enough that I can satisfy my inner curiosity.

NewFresh

Oh wow, Demon City Shinjuku has one of those dubs. The kid in it inexplicably has a Spanish accent and the girl is now British.

This just got moved up in my backlog pile. Also, thanks for the warm welcome back.

Escribiré esto para no meternos en problemas, pero gracias por estar pensando en mi :p

That was the last of it, I swear!

I still check in and read the thread but life, love, work, trying to actually sleep, have all played a part in me not getting around to posting more.

Is Starship Operators worth looking into? After purchasing a handful of Geneon CD soundtracks from TRSI, and thoroughly enjoying each CD, I am searching for any complete Geneon anime collections that are still available in brand new condition. I hate to do blind buys, but if this is worth looking into I want to order it before the box-sets are gone.

Better than The Land Before Time.

I loved that film as a child, but it's been ages since I've seen it, so I wouldn't presume to make a direct comparison. Although the fact that You Are Umasou hasn't received a multitude of watered-down direct-to-video sequels automatically places it above The Land Before Time.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Gonna be sad when this bombs ratings-wise.
I loved that film as a child, but it's been ages since I've seen it, so I wouldn't presume to make a direct comparison. Although the fact that You Are Umasou hasn't received a multitude of watered-down direct-to-video sequels automatically places it above The Land Before Time.
What direct-to-video sequels? I've been too busy with the war at Eurasia to even notice.

Nafe

I prefer longer and more ridiculous titles. Shinkai knows where it's at, it's what makes his films good.

While it's not an anime, the idea of long and ridiculous titles reminded me of the Japanese only dating sim type game released for PC and PS2 with the title:

White Princess the second ~ Yappari Itto ni Ittemo Soujyanakutemo OK-na Gotsugou Shugi Gakuen Renai Adventure or

White Princess the second ~ Love Adventure in the School That Follows the Principle of Convenience, Where It's Okay to Stray From the Path or Stay on the Path.

The title is so long it was placed in the first volume of The Guinness Book of World Records for Video Games as having the longest known title. Since then there may have been a game that's overtaken it and placed in a subsequent volume I don't know.

Sailor Moon 24

This is one of those really memorable episodes of the show. The next couple of episodes are too actually. I think the English voice actress for Naru did a really good job for that scene in this episode as well.

I'm watching the live action adaptation of Sailor Moon right now myself and personally, so far from what I've seen of the show, I'd have to say I like the anime version of Nephrite a lot more. His introduction in the live action I liked but since then I haven't really been fond of the developments his character has taken.

Narag

I'm watching the live action adaptation of Sailor Moon right now myself and personally, so far from what I've seen of the show, I'd have to say I like the anime version of Nephrite a lot more. His introduction in the live action I liked but since then I haven't really been fond of the developments his character has taken.

All about that Zoicite and Pimpzite Kunzite in the live action.

Is Starship Operators worth looking into? After purchasing a handful of Geneon CD soundtracks from TRSI, and thoroughly enjoying each CD, I am searching for any complete Geneon anime collections that are still available in brand new condition. I hate to do blind buys, but if this is worth looking into I want to order it before the box-sets are gone.

It seemed promissing based on the first episode when I started to watch it a few months ago but I heard sad things happen in it and I chickened out and dropped it (around the same time I dropped Madoka).

survivor

Banned
Tamayura ~hitotose~ 3

6aHi2.jpg

And just when I said I want more of this happening last episode, they just went ahead and gave that treatment to the entire main cast.

They really did a good job with making the food look delicious. Their sweets always look very tasty and make me wish I had some good sweet food stuff at home instead of just plain cakes. And speaking of food, is every episode gonna have the main cast leeching off free food from Potte's cafe? Me thinks Junichi Sato has been watching too much K-On before making this

Oh yeah the new ED was super adorable. Very cute pictures.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah, while Beryl, Zoicite, and Kunzite are all upgraded in the live action version, Nephrite is just whiny, petty, and small.

Jadeite is still Jadeite, but no jazz theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom