• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

Or Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann...

Gurren Lagann aired on Sundays at 8:30, so even earlier than Cross Game which I think was at 10:00?

Regardless, if you want a completely "on par" comparison for the show, we should compare Cross Game to Synergy's other shows that aired in the same timeslot - Zettai Karen Children, Hayate no Gotoku, those sorts of things. I didn't watch Cross Game so I have no idea whether it looks any better or worse than any shows in the same timeslot.

Basically, though, it doesn't actually matter what time of day your show airs. Some late night shows have no budget (Musashi Gundou), some shows for kids have good animation (Ashita no Nadja), and there's a whole lot of space inbetween.

Narag

Narag, you already watch a lot of those... can't you recommend him some he hasn't seen yet?

Alas, I'm still in training. I like to believe he's seen them all already and is simply biding his time waiting for others to watch so he can speak to us about them.

So this has been passed around the internet but at Machi Asobi, ufotable has some Tales banners being hanged around and this was one of them:

3163dd9a.jpg

So, possible Vepseria OAV or something for its fifth anniversary?

Jex

Accel World - Finale

Much like the rest of the series, I enjoyed the time spent in the videogame and found the rest of the material to be tedious. Still, it delivered in the area that I was most interested in:

aw23gif_zps0b80a94d.gif

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Accel World - Finale

Much like the rest of the series, I enjoyed the time spent in the videogame and found the rest of the material to be tedious. Still, it delivered in the area that I was most interested in:

So will someone compile the Accel World Best Bits list as proposed earlier in the season?

/XX/

Gurren Lagann aired on Sundays at 8:30, so even earlier than Cross Game which I think was at 10:00?
Yeah, I still remember clearly that typical 'morning-slot clock' on the corner of the broadcast version while it aired. Precisely some people dismissed the show at first because they thought it was going to be much more bland or simple based on that schedule, later things came rolling and other people thought that they were pushing too much questionable content into that slot (scrapping much of episode 6 instead of censoring it heavily for the initial airing was really necessary, apparently).

Alas, I'm still in training. I like to believe he's seen them all already and is simply biding his time waiting for others to watch so he can speak to us about them.
We will lure him out using something interesting sooner or later, don't worry!

Jex

I can't see the logical jump from the plot discussion to your artstyle comparison.
Drawing a comparison between those two works in inherently ridiculous - it's silly even in concept because they're so dissimilar. There aren't many, if any ways that AW might be the 'better' show. As 'fun' is kind of a tricky concept I chose the one (I assume) unobjectionable thing that Accel World clearly has over Cross Game: production values.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Accel World - Finale

aw23gif_zps0b80a94d.gif

It's good to see Rebuild Ramiel getting some work again.

Really, really don't like the new art style. Still think I'm just going to skip this and continue to treasure my memories of the first season.

Articalys

So I just finished watching the latest Sword Art Online on TV, and a commercial for the upcoming Little Busters adaptation played after the credits.

Between the dead eyes and the narration by (assuming) a little girl who sounds mentally handicapped, I think I'm gonna pass.
If anyone else wants to see this commercial, here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LUgsEakKvY

Seems like the narration this time was from Naomi Wakabayashi, as the character Kudryavka Noumi.

Narag

X/1999

Man, that was a whole lot of destiny. First half of the movie might have had the highest cherry blossom density I've ever seen in anime too. I'm not entirely sure why things happened the way they did but hey that's fate for you. Hosanna was right too as this is so 90s it hurts. It actually reminds me of Harmageddon where the story was questionable but damn if it wasn't pretty to watch.
Ending was pretty hardcore and sudden. In a movie of protracted battles, I didn't expect Fuma's head to come off so quickly.

I thought I'd seen this before but maybe it was the first ep of the TV series.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So that .gif of Accel World sold me on watching a few eps.

Is there a no bullshit ep guide for it, or should I just skip around each ep for action?

BluWacky

X/1999

Man, that was a whole lot of destiny.

If it weren't for CLAMP, I wouldn't know half as many words for "destiny" or "fate" in Japanese as I do.

The TV series goes even more overboard by having the main orchestral theme be called "Destiny" and playing it every single episode.

You should all go watch it. I know I go on about the X TV series but it's got good action sequences for a TV show and it's a much more satisfying take on the material than the movie and the music clip were - and it has a proper ending, which we'll never get for the manga :(

/XX/ said:
Waiting for the CLAMP fans to crash in here and start rabidly asking for that long time promised finale of X/1999.

Don't get me started... if they can start Legal Drug up again they can damn well find another magazine to serialise X in!

/XX/

It would have been better if you didn't remind me of that.

*stickswiththeTVending*
Don't get me started... if they can start Legal Drug up again they can damn well find another magazine to serialise X in!
Sorry, I didn't mean to make you relive traumas! It is this damned avatar and its suspicious glare, I think Burglar Oreki's maliciousness is permeating my Internet persona.

Kazzy

Binbougami ga! Episodes 1-9

I've been watching this over the past couple of days. I wanted to watch a series that I could pretty much turn in my brain at the door, but I'm already pretty tired of it.

It has a interesting premise, and it should use that a springboard for the expected nonsense, but I feel as though its stuck in a strange middle-ground. It is absolutely dogged, in it's attempt to wring the maximum out of the trite formula laid out in the opening couple of episodes. Do you like boobs? Do you like unfunny boob-based gags? Well you better, because it rarely strays away from that brand of 'humour'. The parody aspects aren't even that pronounced, and they instead roll out repeated DBZ references, with little in the way of anything else. I think I'm beginning to see an all too familiar trend.

And as for the central conflict, it becomes tiring when the status-quo is consistently restored at the end of each episode. Considering it only has a 13 episode run, it has surprisingly inherited this undesirable aspect, one typically reserved for the much longer running series. I'm already starting to forget the amount of times Sakura is in dire straights, only for Momiji to hand over her fortune, rectifying the whole situation. I'm not asking for it to be nuanced storytelling, just not boring.

Is Sakura supposed to be likeable at this point? At first I was under the impression that we, as the audience, should thoroughly be behind her downfall, having already been given the prerequisite ammunition. But as the episodes have rolled on, an alarming amount of time has been dedicated to her character. We are given flashbacks contextualizing her current personality, but these have only served to make me actively the dislike the character. Even if she has reasons to act the way she does, its still hugely self-serving, and I can't see many really empathizing with the character. Which is a bad thing, because it renders large sections of each episode to be fairly pointless.

I guess I'm trying to figure out what it is that's tying me to the series, and I guess there isn't one. This is probably it for me.

And as for the central conflict, it becomes tiring when the status-quo is consistently restored at the end of each episode. Considering it only has a 13 episode run, it has surprisingly inherited this undesirable aspect, one typically reserved for the much longer running series. I'm already starting to forget the amount of times Sakura is in dire straights, only for Momiji to hand over her fortune, rectifying the whole situation. I'm not asking for it to be nuanced storytelling, just not boring.

But the status-quo was destroyed in episode 7 and 8.

Narag

Binbougami ga! Episodes 1-9

I've been watching this over the past couple of days. I wanted to watch a series that I could pretty much turn in my brain at the door, but I'm already pretty tired of it.

Is Sakura supposed to be likeable at this point? At first I was under the impression that we, as the audience, should thoroughly be behind her downfall, having already been given the prerequisite ammunition. But as the episodes have rolled on, an alarming amount of time has been dedicated to her character. We are given flashbacks contextualizing her current personality, but these have only served to make me actively the dislike the character. Even if she has reasons to act the way she does, its still hugely self-serving, and I can't see many really empathizing with the character. Which is a bad thing, because it renders large sections of each episode to be fairly pointless.

I guess I'm trying to figure out what it is that's tying me to the series, and I guess there isn't one. This is probably it for me.

I don't think Sakura comes across as too likeable at all. She learns, reverts, and it wasn't until episode 12 that I thought any compassion she had felt natural. I had reservations myself early on too as, while I enjoy the full cast interacting, it took awhile to get to that point due to constant introductions. If you didn't find anything redeemable thus far, I'd have to agree you're at a good place to stop as the next episode features more forced drama and the one after that is a fan service ep that sets up the final episodes.

Kagami

Kokoro Connect 12

KC is back in stride with this third arc. Really makes me wish they could have done something about the monotony of eps 7-9.

The new Opening theme is pretty good. I wish they said who the singer and title is, I feel as if Ive heard the voice before.

The credits say it's "Kimi Rythm" (You-Rythm), sung by Imai Masaki.

Kc2tD.jpg

I was startled to hear a male vocal opening song in my late-night bishoujo anime, but maybe I can get used to it.
I told my friend that, and he called me a dumbass and said it's not a bishoujo anime, it's a corny adolescent melodrama novel turned into a corny adolescent melodrama anime.

Kokoro Connect 12
The credits say it's "Kimi Rythm" (You-Rythm), sung by Imai Masaki.

Kc2tD.jpg

I was startled to hear a male vocal opening song in my late-night bishoujo anime, but maybe I can get used to it.
I told my friend that, and he called me a dumbass and said it's not a bishoujo anime, it's a corny adolescent melodrama novel turned into a corny adolescent melodrama anime.

Awesome, I like it more than the first one (better vocals), though the male vocal opening did surprise me.

trejo

Kokoro Connect 12

Kokoro Connect continues to excel and thoroughly satisfy with it’s story, direction, and the nuanced character development that has been gradually woven into each episode.

I don't mean to sound cruel or anything but I can't really take anyone who honestly thinks this seriously.

It's totally fine if you feel that way but... really?

Yous gotta do what yous gotta do.

/XX/

Maybe if I do a post on the ridiculously depressing 1975 anime version of The Little Mermaid it'll draw emunoz out of hiding. He still has to watch Utena so we can be Japanese word for friends.
Do it, we need everything we can get! Maybe this interests him as well (I was going to post this in the 'Animated Shorts!' thread of this forum, but here it will have more audience, anyway):

『端ノ向フ』 - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcxFGeEqqgA

After so many time (a bit more than the 2 years he estimated at first on this blog post http://iyasakado.com/blog/2009/02/post-5.htm), independent animator Shigeyoshi Tsukahara has finally completed that short above linked, Hoshi no Mukō (端ノ向フ).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sword Art Online - 12

This was so sad. I'll always think twice before
uninstalling a program and emptying the recycling bin a boo hoo hoo

Best episode is a while I mean it had:
  • Worst haircut of the year Mr Spikyhead makes a brief cameo appearance!
  • Googly eyed monsters!
  • SUICIDE!
  • Insane girls!
  • Drama over the smallest of things like deleting Word.exe
  • The implication that Yui will have a fate worse than death and will forver be a Bonzai Buddy on Kirito's desktop
  • Kirito shouting at BISON the admin!

And the not so good sequel to everyone's favourite gif!

cajunator

Banned
I don't mean to sound cruel or anything but I can't really take anyone who honestly thinks this seriously.

It's totally fine if you feel that way but... really?

Yous gotta do what yous gotta do.

So basically its NOT ok for him to feel that way about it?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Why did the world distort when Yui lost her marbles? Episode 12 really doesn't give an answer to that apart from HA HA she was Yui.exe all along! If her job was to be Nintendo bring more smiles to more faces then giving everyone a headache really isn't the way to go about it.

Stoof

I've finally been able to watch more anime recently so I decided to get through all of Space Brothers, and man is it such a great show. Really "feel good" like Tsuritama was. I'm delving into Fate/Zero now since I didn't really watch anything from past seasons (If anyone could tell me the worthwhile shows from 2011 Fall and Winter seasons it would be much appreciated). I'm on episode 7 now and it's definitely picked up from that slow opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom