• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Rinne no Lagrange-fin

1329179424_mj-laughing1.gif

Oh man this was a trainwreck of a show. When there are so many areas I could attack the show, it's not even fun to do so. The lackluster writing, shallow characters, ridiculous premise that goes nowhere, boring ass fight sequences, overabundance of CGI, fanpandering of the stupidest order, and the most trite relationships make this a complete waste of a premise and show.

Sword Art Online 12
What's funny about it?
Unlike Jexhius, I'm not sure I'd call it bad writing since it fits with Kirito and Asuna being incredibly naive teenage nerds, but it was pretty damn funny nonetheless.

You don't see any humor in
a teenage couple(who have only been together for less than a year inside of a videogame) adopting a computer program
?

Sword Art Online 12

Unlike Jexhius, I'm not sure I'd call it bad writing since it fits with Kirito and Asuna being incredibly naive teenage nerds, but it was pretty damn funny nonetheless.

You don't see any humor in
a teenage couple(who have only been together for less than a year inside of a videogame) adopting a computer program
?

Maybe? I would think any kind of family that just falls into their laps would be a blessing after the shit they've had to deal with for 2 years.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's not weird that Zac/Justin can't formulate logical arguments about anything. We already know this!
I suppose they could choose not to review shows that aren't licensed to be streamed here, but of course they would lose readers to the bloggers who don't care. But then you have to compromise yourself one way or another here anyway.

Aim for the K-ON! K-ONBuster 15
So much :firehawk. Eat your heart out, every other sports animu ever. You cannot beat the queens.

Polar Bear Café is a serious contender for anime of the year. FACT.
:firehawk :p

And I said Polar Bear Cafe was the secret best anime ages ago!

A lot of these episodes just feel like hour long episodes with artificial breaks in between. There are some character arcs within each individual episode, but really, these episodes work much better in arc-like chunks. Like, the two post capsule episodes really should have been one episode that aired together. This latest episode should have been connected to last week's episode, because last week's episode felt like a prelude that went nowhere.

See, I'm with you on this. It makes sense that they reacted the way they did. But that doesn't stop it from being hilarious. Especially with how she says it.
It's the least unearned moment of the season. And this is a season with shitty drama in all the shitty harem animes... including the Chocolate show and the Don't Bang My Sister show. :p

Narag

Maybe? I would think any kind of family that just falls into their laps would be a blessing after the shit they've had to deal with for 2 years.

For me, a lot of the humor is derived from how little time was devoted to this relationship and how unnecessarily serious it was. I think I felt more attachment between Silica and her imaginary dragon than I did here.

A lot of these episodes just feel like hour long episodes with artificial breaks in between. There are some character arcs within each individual episode, but really, these episodes work much better in arc-like chunks. Like, the two post capsule episodes really should have been one episode that aired together. This latest episode should have been connected to last week's episode, because last week's episode felt like a prelude that went nowhere.

It's an adaptation of a long-running, ongoing manga. I'm not sure what you expected. If it bothers you, just wait a year and watch all the episodes that aired in a few sittings. Then wait another year and do the same after that.

For me, a lot of the humor is derived from how little time was devoted to this relationship and how unnecessarily serious it was. I think I felt more attachment between Silica and her imaginary dragon than I did here.

I can kind of understand that. Really, the lack of development and skipping around has been throwing me for a loop since episode 3, so I may have gotten used to it by now and saw it as normal.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Here's another question about the most recent SAO episode.

When did Yui.exe actually use the console?

The only time she is in the safe room before the fight she was with the knights in the door way and not by the slab. The moment they leave she runs out of the room straight away.

Basquash 12

So we're finally starting to see the effects collateral damage caused by this game, and... no one gives a shit! Oh well, not like this is an officially sanctioned match or anything. Oh wait...

Jarmel

Banned
Muv-Luv 13

Holy shit at the amount of talking under a deadline. This is 'Trinity in Matrix Revolutions' level talking. There is absolute no sense of a timeframe or tension.

Shut the fuck up and run. Jesus Christ.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's an adaptation of a long-running, ongoing manga. I'm not sure what you expected. If it bothers you, just wait a year and watch all the episodes that aired in a few sittings. Then wait another year and do the same after that.
It's not a problem with FMA:B, where the episodes managed to work as individual episodes as well as arc episodes. Cross Game, the other serialized and year long show that I watched live was fine as well in terms of managing a series that both worked on a per-episode level and on a arc-level.

I mean, people shit on Treme for the same thing... except with Treme, it's rich with character depth, so that makes up for the lack of "things happening".

It's not a problem with FMA:B, where the episodes managed to work as individual episodes as well as arc episodes. Cross Game, the other serialized and year long show that I watched live was fine as well in terms of managing a series that both worked on a per-episode level and on a arc-level.

I mean, people shit on Treme for the same thing... except with Treme, it's rich with character depth, so that makes up for the lack of "things happening".

I'd say Space Bros has character depth too. That's why it's forgiven for little stuff happening.

Also, the shows you listed weren't ongoing + long-running. Space Bros could be hundreds of episodes for all we know.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'd say Space Bros has character depth too. That's why it's forgiven for little stuff happening.

Also, the shows you listed weren't ongoing + long-running. Space Bros could be hundreds of episodes for all we know.

Well, as someone who isn't watching Naruto or Bleach (or Coronation Street) or whatever, that's my only frame of reference. lol

And was there anything gained by the episode where Mutta shows up at Houston and just hangs out for 10 minutes before setting up a cliffhanger that actually doesn't get addressed in the subsequent episode?
That's how silly the writers are - they used the same cliffhanger twice in a row.

Well, as someone who isn't watching Naruto or Bleach (or Coronation Street) or whatever, that's my only frame of reference. lol

And was there anything gained by the episode where Mutta shows up at Houston and just hangs out for 10 minutes before setting up a cliffhanger that actually doesn't get addressed in the subsequent episode?
That's how silly the writers are - they used the same cliffhanger twice in a row.

To be inspirational, like all the episodes.

Rinne no Lagrange-fin

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1329179424_mj-laughing1.gif

Oh man this was a trainwreck of a show. When there are so many areas I could attack the show, it's not even fun to do so. The lackluster writing, shallow characters, ridiculous premise that goes nowhere, boring ass fight sequences, overabundance of CGI, fanpandering of the stupidest order, and the most trite relationships make this a complete waste of a premise and show.

What did you think of S1, same?

Narag

Muv-Luv 13

Holy shit at the amount of talking under a deadline. This is 'Trinity in Matrix Revolutions' level talking. There is absolute no sense of a timeframe or tension.

Shut the fuck up and run. Jesus Christ.

That's the biggest problem with the past couple episodes, simply no sense of urgency.

Jarmel

Banned
What did you think of S1, same?

I thought it was okay but it did exhibit similar issues. The difference is that I was hoping they would do more in season 2. It seemed like they were setting up for a larger conflict and instead we got a redux of season 1. Even then there is some really stupid shit in season 2 such as the way Moid was handled. Most anti-climatic way to handle a villain I have ever seen in any form of fiction.

I thought it was okay but it did exhibit similar issues. The difference is that I was hoping they would do more in season 2. It seemed like they were setting up for a larger conflict and instead we got a redux of season 1. Even then there is some really stupid shit in season 2 such as the way Moid was handled. Most anti-climatic way to handle a villain I have ever seen in any form of fiction.
ok, yeah thats about how I felt.

wonzo

Banned
Smile PreCure! 32

There's something about this show where the number of dead eyes exponentially increases the chances of just how good an episode might turn out as this episode was fucking incredible.

smileprecure32d.jpg

smileprecure32e.jpg

Either way, it's awkward TV.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Phi Brain s2 end

This was both pretty cool and underwhelming at the same time. I liked the tag puzzle, but it really didn't feel very "endgame". And of course the stakes weren't the player's lives, so having this be the final puzzle just isn't very exciting.

I liked this season, but it really did feel like a lot of wasted potential. The first few episodes were great and seemed like they would continue the trend of more intense puzzles from the end of the first season, but that didn't last long.

Then we're introduced to duel style puzzles and a "rivalry" character dynamic for all the major players. That got dropped relatively quickly too, as Kaito was always responsible for the development of the enemies with barely any input from their supposed "rivals" (the exception being Anna and whatshername). Makes me think something changed during production, because it really seemed like it was building toward that. Or maybe I just suck at picking up on this kind of stuff.

I think I also liked Rook as a villain more than Freecell. The former was implied to be a genuinely twisted person, but it was more subtle and had an air of mystery surrounding it. Yeah, Freecell was twisted as well, but it was really more of an extremely unhealthy obsession with certain people rather than an actual threat like Rook was. Again, his final puzzle didn't even have crazy stakes like every single puzzle in season 1 did.

So yeah, I think I liked season 1 just a bit more because of how it escalated. There were points when it felt like things were going in the opposite direction here, trying to shift the tone back to something not as oppressive by dramatically lowering the stakes. Again, not bad, just underwhelming.

Now the long wait for season 3 begins.

Rinne no Lagrange-fin

1329179424_mj-laughing1.gif

I'm so glad I jumped ship on this one after episode 5. I couldn't take the madness anymore.

Thoraxes

So what do you like better, E7AO or Rinne? I figured based on your past posts this would be a fun question to ask you.

I'm so glad I jumped ship on this one after episode 5. I couldn't take the madness anymore.
It really just depends on how you like to watch anime. If you're watching anime to only find the next masterpiece, you won't like it. If you're looking for a relaxing show with cute girls, good music, and some robots, it's plenty. I leave my critic hat at the door when I watch a lot of shows nowadays just because I tend to enjoy myself exponentially more.

Jarmel

Banned
So I was looking through the Winter list and I saw the third Berserk movie. Are these movies airing in actual real life theaters? I'm just wondering how they're going to show the
Caska rape scene

So what do you like better, E7AO or Rinne? I figured based on your past posts this would be a fun question to ask you.

A better question is which do I hate less. That award would go to Rinne because it atleast doesn't take a shit on my favorite franchise. That said, I think AO is a bit better mainly due to the fact that it's actually trying to do something.

Thoraxes

That's a funny way of spelling Humanity has Declined.
That's my number 2 easily. It was my first place until the single for Joshiraku came out, then it just edged into the lead. Those two are easily tops though, and the string section in the Humanity Has Declined full single is really brought out in such cool ways, especially when they get that whole section to rock out!
A better question is which do I hate less. That award would go to Rinne because it atleast doesn't take a shit on my favorite franchise. That said, I think AO is a bit better mainly due to the fact that it's actually trying to do something.
Haha, I figured as much. I think a lot of people seem to look at it that way too. At least they both have pretty great soundtracks! Overall on a critical level I feel the same way. On just a "Did I have fun watching it?" level, I probably enjoyed these two shows this season because regardless of how they did it, I was at least entertained.

I dunno about EDs, but I randomly listened to Jersey Bu no Uta from Rinne no Lagrange a couple days ago and now I'm cripplingly addicted.

Make it stop. Please god, make it stop.
And this is my number 3. At first I totally hated it, and then it just completely overtook me and I was hooked. They're just so into it, and it seems like such a Madoka thing to do!

Kazzy

I don't know about that. While it's well done "most of the time" a noticeable number of fights are reduced to 'energetic stills', which is literally the opposite of animation.

I don't think its any great shakes, and it does have a tendency to recycle animation; Its just that, given the shows overall quality, I would expect it to be much crappier looking.

Jex

I suppose they could choose not to review shows that aren't licensed to be streamed here, but of course they would lose readers to the bloggers who don't care. But then you have to compromise yourself one way or another here anyway.
But they wouldn't have to comprise if the just accepted that the whole of anime fandom is steeped in, and built upon, piracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom