• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dropped One Piece during the Sky Island arc (no real reason to be honest) and want to get back into it. I'm not sure whether I should continue from the manga or the anime though. Generally, I like watching anime more than reading manga but I can read manga faster and the series is massive so speed is probably important if I ever want to catch up. What you guys think I should do? Is the anime adaptation of one piece any good?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The main part is just collecting/unlocking cards and voices, which is done through a mix of those action buttons and spending coins.

First, damn son. You should write a wikia or something. lol

Second, so it's like many Japanese OCD games where you have to do things over and over again in order to get more unlocks? With a mix of Zynga because I assume you can buy unlocks?

Well, I don't know how long it'll keep my attention anyway but thanks for the guide. I was just surprised to see Tamayura and Aria be a part of this more than anything else. lol

Oh, speaking of which, there's a K-On!! app on the store (the only official one it seems :( ) but I have no idea what it does:

D2W5Dl.jpg

I assume it's a timer of some sort, but I don't know what it's asking me...

I dropped One Piece during the Sky Island arc (no real reason to be honest) and want to get back into it. I'm not sure whether I should continue from the manga or the anime though. Generally, I like watching anime more than reading manga but I can read manga faster and the series is massive so speed is probably important if I ever want to catch up. What you guys think I should do? Is the anime adaptation of one piece any good?

The anime is good despite some pacing issues. What I would do is read Skypiea in the manga, then continue the anime from there. It really would be a shame to miss the following big arc, which is one of the best in the series.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Skypiea picks up at the end and the plot remains pretty consistently good from there on out with the exception of the filler arcs and the very short Davy Back Fight arc. The anime becomes more inconsistent in pacing and overall animation quality once the series hits the next major arc after Skypiea, but the flaws in the anime only become very noticeable if you have prior experience with the corresponding material in the manga. If you're downing episodes one after another in an attempt to catch up you're not going to have time to dissect every critical detail.

Basically, even though the anime doesn't quite live up to the manga, it's at least faithful to it from a narrative standpoint and the most important moments are generally well-executed. I marathoned the first 400 episodes of One Piece without any prior experience with the manga a few years ago and really enjoyed the experience, so if you have a tendency toward anime over manga as I do, I'd recommend just going ahead and watching the anime. Like cosmic said, just read the manga for the rest of Skypiea if you find yourself incredibly bored with it, but switch back to the anime at the climax of the arc.

Sword Art Online 12

i9QxjmWmdIMep.gif

Yui turned the :cajun up to eleven and Yuriel or whatever's voice was pure sex, but christ. The episode was so thoroughly grounded in cringetastic dumbitude that I couldn't give a single fuck about everything they built on top of it.

Like, there were bits and pieces and concepts that I enjoyed, but I don't even want to point them out because everything else was so dumb.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tari Tari fin

k09bal.jpg

So, this was yet another averagely pleasant show. It didn't stand out and become exceptional like Hyouka (well, other than the
bulimia episode with Sawa
), but with the return of Glee, I have been reminded that I shouldn't take "pleasant" for granted any more.

One thing is that if Rinne was too long, this show felt way too short. For the third episode in a row, there's yet another time lapse montage... which just makes a lot of things awkward, since as when
Taichi confesses to Sawa. Yeah, it was there, but the only part we saw was him creeping out to her in the last episode while he was trying to take her photo.

The actual finale was fine. I'm glad that
like HanaIro, they went for the "life goes on ending" and don't have a magic solution to the school being saved or whatever. It was fairly :firehawk
. I also liked that for the song that Wakana wrote,
they used some bars from the song that Wakana's mother wrote for the other band... so it was a little bit full circle there as well.
The only thing that was weird was that the sound mix for that last scene seemed off... or at least, it sounded like I was watching a completely different show when the
music started and everyone started singing. It just didn't sound like the rest of the show for some reason.

As for the show itself... if they knew that they only had 13 episodes, I think it might have been better served if they just focused on Wakana's story and left it at that. Trying to do that, plus Sawa's two episode arc, plus Wein's one episode arc, plus this school closing arc was just too much and basically left all the other characters without much development. Hell, all of Konatsu's development had to happen during Wakana's arc and she was basically forgotten after she went on to sing during that competition.

I dunno, I like the show, so I feel like there was a missed opportunity here. But hey, I'm happy that it existed at all (probably because I'm #hatewatching Glee) and that it connected with Japanese nerds in some way to be moderately successful. At the very least, hopefully this means that PA Works will continue to do original shows and not rely on the adaptation well.

Oh, and for SDBurton because he's that guy:
QcrVJl.jpg

Time to put on your goggles, my friend. :p

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Tari Tari 4-13 -END-

A pleasant show. The songs were nice, the animation solid, and the characters relatable.

I must even admit that at first I was a bit weirded out by the lack of stupid drama in the relationships between the characters, haha. With that said, I think comparisons between this and Glee are downright offensive.

There's not much else to say here. It's a really nice slice-of-life show - one that can be easily watched in two or three sittings. I must compliment the final episode, though, which nailed the feel good and bittersweet aspects these shows usually depend on.

Oh yeah, and Sawa is easily waifu of the year... And maybe beyond!

Edit: Yup, and it's definitely a
:firehawk
show, so the post above mine is very fitting!

Kagami

so it's like many Japanese OCD games where you have to do things over and over again in order to get more unlocks? With a mix of Zynga because I assume you can buy unlocks?
Yeah pretty much.
I do some kissing and caressing occasionally before I go to sleep and whatnot but it's not really entertaining to spend hours on like an actual game.
Those players who raise love levels by hundreds of thousands of points per week even when there aren't any contests going on...that's some dedication.

there's a K-On!! app on the store (the only official one it seems :( ) but I have no idea what it does
It was a countdown clock for the movie.
I guess the manual alarm setting still works?

Surely the
googly eyed reaper
made you remember fear, right?
Even
Death
was rolling his eyes.
Man, those designs are so inferior. :(

The Queen suffers the most, though.
Not as moe.
Lost a lot of her... sharpishness. Also, uglier horns.
You know, I rather liked the anime's design, but it really kind of sucks compared to this. The one you posted actually looks like a demon queen.

Also, I have a hard time unseeing the manly pecs on the anime's design.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah pretty much.
I do some kissing and caressing occasionally before I go to sleep and whatnot but it's not really entertaining to spend hours on like an actual game.
Those players who raise love levels by hundreds of thousands of points per week even when there aren't any contests going on...that's some dedication.
In or out of context, that's a hilarious sentence. :p
But I can see someone getting hooked easily, especially if there's so much shit to unlock. I imagine that if you don't manage all your "wives" or "husbands" daily, your relationship with them will suffer... meaning the app gets more time consuming the more you unlock? lol

It was a countdown clock for the movie.
I guess the manual alarm setting still works?
Ah, was that the countdown clock?
Can you translate those options? lol

survivor

Banned
Hidamari Sketch 1

The entire time watching the OP, I kept thinking of this awesome mashup. I actually prefer it over the plain OP which doesn't sound as energetic.

Anyway, I tried to watch the anime before, but I just couldn't make it past the first 3 mins. I must have did this when I wasn't in the mood for anime or something cause this was really good. Very nice blend of comedy and slice of life stuff. Not to mention for some reason Shaft's regular quirks aren't that visible. No more random cuts or weird close up shots that make no sense. As for the backgrounds, sure some of them are ugly and plain, but they look very appealing in some cases. Or well, not that distracting at least. There was also a lot of contrasting colouring or just some cases when they stood out like the doors to the apartment. I thought they were a nice touch.

I gotta dig through the OST for the anime cause there were couple of cases where the music really stood out like when Yuno was rushing trying to finish her assignment.

Very impressed so far and hope it maintains the same quality throughout the rest of episodes and the next two sequels.

We pretend the one we like is the only one that exists. In mangaf's case, it's Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - Kono Watashi no Mono Tonare, Yuusha yo Kotowaru!

I see. (So apparently there are five simultaneous manga adaptations of the light novel? How does that happen?) I don't have a problem with the anime designs - and if the show can consistently provide backgrounds as attractive as shown in the PV the character designs are of secondary concern to me anyway - but I can understand why you and other people used to this manga's designs would dislike them.

I must say, though, I'm not fond of the way her "useless meat" is drawn in the one panel you posted; it's approaching Queen's Blade levels of uncomfortableness.

Tari Tari fin

I dunno, I like the show, so I feel like there was a missed opportunity here. But hey, I'm happy that it existed at all (probably because I'm #hatewatching Glee) and that it connected with Japanese nerds in some way to be moderately successful. At the very least, hopefully this means that PA Works will continue to do original shows and not rely on the adaptation well.

Well, P.A. Works has two projects on the docket - one's an adaptation of a modern fantasy novel, but the other one is an original anime.

The bad news is it's being written by Mari Okada.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I see. (So apparently there are five simultaneous manga adaptations of the light novel? How does that happen?) I don't have a problem with the anime designs - and if the show can consistently provide backgrounds as attractive as shown in the PV the character designs are of secondary concern to me anyway - but I can understand why you and other people used to this manga's designs would dislike them.

I must say, though, I'm not fond of the way her "useless meat" is drawn in the one panel you posted; it's approaching Queen's Blade levels of uncomfortableness.

Well, P.A. Works has two projects on the docket - one's an adaptation of a modern fantasy novel, but the other one is an original anime.

The bad news is it's being written by Mari Okada.

Her excess boobage is intentionally... extra... in that scene, for the majority of the manga there's no excess focus put on it.

survivor

Banned

And they are printed by 4 different publishers. So it's not just one publisher milking the franchise using its different magazines.

fwiw here's the LN art for MMY for comparison

of course, the "official" manga adaptation artstyle still reigns supreme
The LN art style is pretty cool especially in that picture.

I really hope the anime's art style doesn't ruin some of the later battles in the manga.

I'd like to think all of my wideface posts over the months finally rubbed off on someone!
I actually decided to check out the first episode again after reading this post of yours. The 4 pictures posted at the bottom finally made me do it.

Tari Tari end

I'd say it was a fitting end to the show. It had plenty of sappy sentimental stuff going on but sometimes thats exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.
I was pretty shocked when Taichi "confessed" to Sawa. At least I think it was a confession. Not having it voiced was a bit bullshit but I guess they didn't really want to add relationship drama at the last episode so they left it up to the viewer to decide.
I enjoyed the show a lot even though it never really rose above its premise. The characters were great and it had some nice moments. I'd agree with everyone above me that the show was a pleasant watch but nothing amazing. Still one of my favorite shows from this season.

Necrovex

Skypiea picks up at the end and the plot remains pretty consistently good from there on out with the exception of the filler arcs and the very short Davy Back Fight arc. The anime becomes more inconsistent in pacing and overall animation quality once the series hits the next major arc after Skypiea, but the flaws in the anime only become very noticeable if you have prior experience with the corresponding material in the manga. If you're downing episodes one after another in an attempt to catch up you're not going to have time to dissect every critical detail.

I'm going to start on the Water 7 arc soon, and I am planning to skip the Davy Black Fight arc. Could anyone spoiler tag me the story significant from that arc?

hunter x hunter of the week

A... change in pace. interesting stuff. Mangaka just can't stick with 1 thing eh?

Space Bro of the week

Yeah all the offbranding stuff is pretty funny and surprisingly well done.

Curious what the test is. Mutta does seem to excel at those interviews :p

Articalys

hunter x hunter of the week

A... change in pace. interesting stuff. Mangaka just can't stick with 1 thing eh?

Space Bro of the week

Yeah all the offbranding stuff is pretty funny and surprisingly well done.

Curious what the test is. Mutta does seem to excel at those interviews :p
Oh wow, I didn't even notice that the fake 7Up had "The Uncola" on the can. That's some amusing attention to detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom