• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Is Takahata better than Miyazaki are the consensus in here?

I don't think that's the consensus, partly because most people haven't seen that many Takhata works outside of Grave of the Fireflies and partly because we don't really agree on much around here!

Personally I think that Takahata is better than Miyazaki, however Takahata could never pull of a Miyazaki-style movie and the reverse is certainly true.

Narag

Gintama 35

969mxl.png

This is the most bizarre episode 35 I've ever seen. I wish I could articulate the quality jump from 25 on too. Superficially, it's like everything that came before but just better executed, I guess.

Jex

For the record, Summer Wars is still an average movie and a very middling work from someone like Hosoda.

duckroll

I can see the argument that Takahata is a better director than Miyazaki, but since I don't personally really enjoy any of his movies, I can't agree.

jman2050

Crazy iOS crap:

Dat OreImo DLC. lol

Also you have waifus for macodin, jman, people who are on the winning team, and people who hate life and want to lose their hearing.

Japan has got this shit down man. lol

There needs to be a better term than "cognitive dissonance" for the confusion I'm feeling right now.

Ledsen

(and others)

You guys are thorough! Thanks a lot for the recs. I've heard a lot of the stuff and even seen some of it (Kemonozume, The Girl Who..., Excel Saga, Puni Puni Poemi for example) but especially hosannainexcelsis recommended tons of shows I hadn't heard of that sound great. Oh and I also forgot to mention Memories in my post, that's another of my favorites. And to the guys who recommended Dirty Pair and Gunsmith Cats, I will probably watch those if only for my childhood love of another 80s classic, the brilliant Project A-Ko. There's something very appealing about the art styles from that era.

duckroll

- I love more serious drama series or movies like Monster, Perfect Blue, Grave of the Fireflies etc

You can check out Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit and Eden of the East. They're both from the director of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex but have less fantasy/scifi elements while relying heavily on character interaction.

- ...but also crazy shit like FLCL, Paranoia Agent or Paprika. The latter is one of my absolute favorites, RIP S. Kon (you were the light at the end of the tunnel) :(

I can't think of anything that really fits the bill there, except maybe Hells... but I haven't seen that so I can't really recommend it.

- I love over-the-top humorous action (like Gurren Lagann or Re: Cutey Honey) in moderate doses, and I can even tolerate some tongue-in-cheek fan-service (as you can see from my example, although that was a very short series)

Both Panty & Stocking with Gaterbelt and Redline fit this category. You'll probably enjoy them too.

- Closely related to the above, stylish action like Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, the original Hellsing (not the remake with the crappy music) is right up my alley

You might want to check out Fate/Zero and Sword of the Stranger, both are pretty serious works with lots of cool guys, the action is fluid and stylish, and people die often.

- I also like sci-fi or dystopian stuff like Jin-Roh, GitS or Ergo Proxy very much

Join the hype train for Psycho-Pass which starts airing on 10/11! It should be right up your alley. Dystopian scifi, police unit gun action drama, Orwellian enforcement system, etc.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
How can I download Taiga on my iOS thingy?
You just need a Japanese iTunes account and you search for 嫁コレ and download it for free. There's also an Android version.

Kagami and I are trying to form a clan to game the system! The more the merrier. lol

There needs to be a better term than "cognitive dissonance" for the confusion I'm feeling right now.
Hahahaha. You know you want Taiga on your phone! You dirty weeaboo!

Branduil

I need to watch more of Takahata's works, but so far none of his stuff has topped Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, or Spirited Away for me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Do I need a Japanese credit card for that?
I NEED IT
lol

Naw, the app itself is free and it's free to play. You can pay to win (ie, unlock stuff) if you are impatient, like any f2p game. Kagami knows of a way to game the system that involves trading junk between players, but we need more people to do it effectively. lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
lol

Naw, the app itself is free and it's free to play. You can pay to win (ie, unlock stuff) if you are impatient, like any f2p game. Kagami knows of a way to game the system that involves trading junk between players, but we need more people to do it effectively. lol
If I weren't too lazy to make up a Japanese account I would do it right now.

Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon II ep 12
tumblr_maxdal5PUe1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Whole episode was just plain stunning with all the other Musashi students in their battle positions. Noriki ftw, my favorite one of them all. I also liked the Jirui Suzaku God of War matchup, and all that money.

Hakuoki Reimeiroku 12 (end)
tumblr_maxfqdzaK61qbxqfpo1_500.png

Souji, Heisuke, Ryunosuke, Shinpachi were all my favorites and I hope they return in the actual seasons of Hakuoki? Guess this was the perfect place to start, though this ending was just not what I expected.
All my teary eyes at the fate of Ibuki, it was so emotional when he was the only one to run for Serizawa san and all emotional wanting to at least save him. I started to feel bad for Serizawa san, even if they tried to make him out to be a bad guy the whole anime, he did some good deeds but then some bad, like killing the woman in this episode, I think :( Then just Souji and Ibuki on the river, surprised Souji just pushed him off to let him live.

Good series and Ibuki is a good main character. I liked him and how he was basically a male character in distress basically the whole time. The action in the series was awesome and all the plot stuff. I kind of wish it would get an S2 and it made me want to get Hakuoki, hopefully Sentai releases this fast. 8/10.

Narag

Girl Detective Club

Another 80s OVA sacrifice to Emmanuelmunoz. Not so much detective work going on rather gunplay with big foreheaded 80s girls. I really have no idea what happened as it couldn't hold my attention although I think one girl was carrying an machine gun in her panties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom