• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I think you missed some things.
We see Chitanda's desire to be responsible and her frustration with her inability to get things done. We see that to some degree she envies Irisu's skills, and she attempts to learn from her. We see the humorous results of these lessons, and we see her own self-awareness of her limitations.
That's just off the top of my head.

Don't confuse the show being about Oreki with the setting being about Oreki.

Hm... I guess i can buy that then.

I'm not. The show is pretty much about Oreki, how he interacts with other characters and how he has to be there for them. I'd say the show pretty much is about Oreki and his dealings in his life and other people's imo.

OceanBlue

There are class restrictions everywhere including the US. Hell due to my family's position I actually can relate to Chitanda's position fairly well. However the point of it impacting and restricting a person's personality compared to the person just adjusting is something I would say is less common than self-confidence which influences pretty much everybody to a certain extent.
I never said there aren't class distinctions in the US. I'm saying that Americans as a whole aren't as conscious of class etiquette as other people from different cultures because the difference in treatment between people of different classes is lower in the US than in other countries like Japan. At least, it was something I've heard in a sociology class. Maybe it's less common and harder to relate to for you because of this cultural barrier?

Branduil

Hm... I guess i can buy that then.

I'm not. The show is pretty much about Oreki, how he interacts with other characters and how he has to be there for them. I'd say the show pretty much is about Oreki and his dealings in his life and other people's imo.

Yes, but that's because the story is about Oreki. I'm talking about the setting. Many stories will have the universe itself revolve around the main character. If you want a non-anime example, look at Harry Potter, lol. It's a problem when characters seem to exist solely to help or hinder the main character, and Hyouka mostly avoids that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Did you really download it?..... omg....
As a fan of SAO, you can't really throw stones. lol

Waifu app download complete.

I just rubbed Okabe Rintarou's face for points.

I uh... yeah... Hard to put the thought's into words here.
Muahahahaha.

Why is that one guy just casually chilling on the roof of the car?
Because Jormungand is Loco, Koko.

Looks like the grand master plan to animate the -monogatari series is moving ahead on schedule.
Yes! Milk it before the fans turn away! It's not like I'd ever take the time to read the novels anyway. lol

The Houkago Tea Time Tribute Concert 20

First I was like this. Then I was like this. Then I ended like this.

Banal boring trite my arse. Fuck you all.
I totally called the denouement the moment Yui-chan started giving her thanks with everyone, but that didn't make the punch any less impactful. I'm not gonna chalk it up to wonderful character development or whatever, but if you have been watching this long you at least feel something for these characters. Hopefully nothing sexual, but still.

I haven't been this heartbroken since Sakura and Syaoran parted ways
at the end of Card Captor Sakura, and that was almost twelve years ago.
I have no idea if you're being sarcastic or not, but this was a pretty :firehawk moment.

If you are going through the series for the first time, an interesting experiment would be to watch the movie before finishing up the series. Or try to watch them concurrently... it'd be an interesting experiment to see how it all works out if you're able to see that arc actually incorporated into the series anyhow.

Or just watch the series and do whatever. lol

Jarmel

Banned
I never said there aren't class distinctions in the US. I'm saying that Americans as a whole aren't as conscientious of class etiquette as other people from different cultures because the difference in treatment between people of different classes is lower in the US than in other countries like Japan. At least, it was something I've heard in a sociology class. Maybe it's less common and harder to relate to for you because of this cultural barrier?

Not to toot my own horn but I don't see why it would.

kayos90

Yes, but that's because the story is about Oreki. I'm talking about the setting. Many stories will have the universe itself revolve around the main character. If you want a non-anime example, look at Harry Potter, lol. It's a problem when characters seem to exist solely to help or hinder the main character, and Hyouka mostly avoids that.

Just because the story is about Oreki and revolves around him doesn't mean that other characters exist solely to help or hinder him. Even if this was the matter in case of setting, it still isn't the case. Pretty much every and anything is about Oreki.

Branduil

Class is built into the Japanese language(as a feature!), it's undeniable that Japanese views on class are not the same as in America. Heck, one episode in Hyouka casually establishes a student being unable to make a demand of his sempai as a given.

Just because the story is about Oreki and revolves around him doesn't mean that other characters exist solely to help or hinder him. Even if this was the matter in case of setting, it still isn't the case. Pretty much every and anything is about Oreki.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say with this post.

kayos90

Class is built into the Japanese language(as a feature!), it's undeniable that Japanese views on class are not the same as in America. Heck, one episode in Hyouka casually establishes a student being unable to make a demand of his sempai as a given.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say with this post.

Ugh. Sorry. My point is that the entirety of Hyouka revolves around Oreki. That's all.

Jarmel

Banned

That doesn't mean though that people as a whole can't understand the ideas and structures that make up a society. Hell if that was the case then sociology as a study wouldn't exist.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I have no idea if you're being sarcastic or not, but this was a pretty :firehawk moment.
Totally honest here. It was a very sweet moment.
If you are going through the series for the first time, an interesting experiment would be to watch the movie before finishing up the series. Or try to watch them concurrently... it'd be an interesting experiment to see how it all works out if you're able to see that arc actually incorporated into the series anyhow.

Or just watch the series and do whatever. lol
Fuck you this is not Haruhi. Broadcast order, dammit.

Branduil

That doesn't mean though that people as a whole can't understand the ideas and structures that make up a society. Hell if that was the case then sociology as a study wouldn't exist.

I don't think anybody said you couldn't understand it. It's just going to be harder to relate to coming from a society where, at least in theory, we're much less strict about class divisions.

OceanBlue

Not to toot my own horn but I don't see why it would.
You don't see why it would be harder to relate to an issue that exists in one culture but doesn't exist to nearly the same extent in yours?

We aren't talking about understanding (and I would question how deep your understanding of class etiquette is, but I don't know you so I can't assume), we're talking about relatability.

Ugh. Sorry. My point is that the entirety of Hyouka revolves around Oreki. That's all.

well, the other characters say it even openly that Oreki is the only one can solve the mysteries - Hyouka arc, movie club arc, festival arc. They don't even reflect the solution but just accept his theory (see the Hyouka arc).

Other example would be the episode with the radio announcement.

cajunator

Banned
Come to think of it, I failed sociology class...
I also apparently just fell asleep on my keyboard and knocked over a bowl of cereal in the process :(

Jarmel

Banned
You don't see why it would be harder to relate to an issue that exists in one culture but doesn't exist to nearly the same extent in yours?

People aren't limited to understanding just the society they were raised in. Even then there are concepts and issues I would say are universal and impact people as a whole.

We aren't talking about understanding (and I would question how deep your understanding of class etiquette is, but I don't know you so I can't assume), we're talking about relatability.

Understanding is fundamental to relatablity. How can you relate to something that you don't understand?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
K-ON!! 21
hX86z.gif
A light-hearted, fun episode after the heavy developments last time. I even ended up liking
Yui's hairstyle. Sure, it was retarded, but she looked like a little kid with a weird hime-cut like that. As for how they keep driving into my heart the fact that they are gonna have to split up, well, fuck you KyoAni.
;_;

Wait a moment...
they are all going to a women's college? Oh KyoAni, that's ridiculous

OceanBlue

People aren't limited to understanding just the society they were raised in. Even then there are concepts and issues I would say are universal and impact people as a whole.
I didn't say "understand". I said "relate".

Understanding is fundamental to relatablity. How can you relate to something that you don't understand?
On the other hand, I would say that you can "understand" something but not find it relatable. The relationship isn't a two-way street. For example, the color green doesn't exist in some cultures. I can "understand" that for some cultures, the idea that green and blue are the same exist (and when they see the colors, they will identify them as almost the same). I can't relate to it at all, however.

Another problem is when people assume they understand a difference when all they really do is acknowledge that differences exist (and they might not even understand all of the ways it reflects in other cultural behaviors). Paying lip-service to something isn't nearly the same as being able to understand something in culture in the same way someone native to that culture would. Saying that I understand anything about how a Japanese person thinks by watching anime would be arrogant on my part.

Jarmel

Banned
I didn't say "understand". I said "relate".

You're right I should have stated my post as such:

People aren't limited to relating to just the society they were raised in. Even then there are concepts and issues I would say are universal and impact people as a whole.

On the other hand, I would say that you can "understand" something but not find it relatable. The relationship isn't a two-way street. For example, the color green doesn't exist in some cultures. I can "understand" that for some cultures, the idea that green and blue are the same exist (and when they see the colors, they will identify them as almost the same). I can't relate to it at all, however.

Another problem is when people assume they understand a difference when all they really do is acknowledge that differences exist (and they might not even understand all of the ways it reflects in other cultural behaviors). Paying lip-service to something isn't nearly the same as being able to understand something in culture in the same way someone native to that culture would. Saying that I understand anything about how a Japanese person thinks by watching anime would be arrogant on my part.

You don't have to match something in the exact same context as it originated in order to be able to relate to an event. While yes there is a difference between knowing events and then knowing why they occurred, a person can still analyze the underlying causations leading to said emotional or societal response. They afterwards can put that event into their own personal frametext. Now will there be some distortion on the part of the individual, yes, however it doesn't mean they can't relate to the event or understand what isn't going on. This is true of anything though and chalking up the distortion to a cultural barrier and saying that they can't properly relate to said event is dismissive.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Totally honest here. It was a very sweet moment.
Fuck you this is not Haruhi. Broadcast order, dammit.
lol
Well, someone else watched the movie right after watching the series here, so I thought it'd be interesting to see someone work the movie into the series proper!

K-ON!! 21
Wait a moment...
they are all going to a women's college? Oh KyoAni, that's ridiculous
Blame the manga. :p

OceanBlue

You don't have to match something in the exact same context as it originated in order to be able to relate to an event. While yes there is a difference between knowing events and then knowing why they occurred, a person can still analyze the underlying causations leading to said emotional or societal response. They afterwards can put that event into their own personal frametext. Now will there be some distortion on the part of the individual, yes, however it doesn't mean they can't relate to the event or understand what isn't going on.
In that case, maybe your own personal "frametext" is just too different from a typical Japanese person's, so when you try to contextualize Chitanda's personal issue, it becomes difficult to relate for you. It's not a black-and-white issue as your post suggests. There are varying levels of relatability, and I think for this particular issue, the relatability for most people in the US would be very low.

Edit:
This is true of anything though and chalking up the distortion to a cultural barrier and saying that they can't properly relate to said event is dismissive.
You're the one who said Chitanda's issue isn't something relatable like self-doubt is, didn't you? I'm trying to convince you that some things won't be relatable for you because of your cultural background, and that it isn't necessarily an issue with writing as much as it might be an issue with audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom