• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

It was better than Hyouka!

15fgd4m.gif

Sengoku Collection 25

So, General Underboobs takes up fishing and goes onto a wild space ride with a dragon.

This was basically Tsuritama condensed into 20 minutes removing the boys and instead with underboobs and a glowing dragon.

Still wasn't that bad of an episode.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
One of the best things about Hyouka is the character development as they progress from archetypes to individualized characters. There's a lot of potential for Chitanda in a second season if they continue her development like this.

All I care about is OrekixChitanda. That's it.

kayos90

I dunno, even in the early episodes every character in the show was more interesting to me than any character in Sword Art Online has been.

I don't see how that's relevant to the topic at hand. I never said characterization of characters in SAO was great nor did I say anything positive. My point that Chitanda's character development being so late into the series and it being a problem still stands, regardless of SAO.

Dresden

I don't see how that's relevant to the topic at hand. I never said characterization of characters in SAO was great nor did I say anything positive. My point that Chitanda's character development being so late into the series and it being a problem still stands, regardless of SAO.

The development starts very early in the show. You just see its culmination in the end.

Jex

[Space Pirate Captain Harlock] - 10 & 11

I don't know how much of character Harlock himself has, all I know is that he's undeniably a boss:

Harlocks.jpg

All he does is stand on deck with his arms folded or sit on his god damn pirate throne which is decorated in skulls. He seems very passive.

Branduil

I was just making a point that I don't find the characters in Hyouka boring by comparing them to a baseline of other popular shows.

duckroll

Okay. Then the problem then becomes that the pacing of the development is uneven and erratic.

Not really. I've come around to see what Kyoto Animation was trying to achieve, and taken as a whole it's very hard to actually criticize any of it. At the start of the show, Chitanda is someone the characters don't really know. On the other hand, Oreki, Satoshi, and Mayaka have been friends for years and were previously from the same school too. The audience on the other hand isn't expected to know this. So the decision was consciously made to depict Chitanda as a more shallow character from the start, simply because that is how the other characters would see her. The growth and development of her character is not a result of her changing anything in herself, but rather how people view her with more perspective and context, as she grows closer and is more willing to let them know about who she is. It's really pretty impressively done.

Branduil

Not really. I've come around to see what Kyoto Animation was trying to achieve, and taken as a whole it's very hard to actually criticize any of it. At the start of the show, Chitanda is someone the characters don't really know. On the other hand, Oreki, Satoshi, and Mayaka have been friends for years and were previously from the same school too. The audience on the other hand isn't expected to know this. So the decision was consciously made to depict Chitanda as a more shallow character from the start, simply because that is how the other characters would see her. The growth and development of her character is not a result of her changing anything in herself, but rather how people view her with more perspective and context, as she grows closer and is more willing to let them know about who she is. It's really pretty impressively done.

I think episode 6 is really the only one I can't say is good. And even that episode has the usual KyoAni polish, it's just a really weak mystery and setting, and it contrasts poorly with the previous episode, which was exceptional.

Jarmel

Banned

Well I think there are two fundamental types of character development, both of which depend on the perspective of the audience. The first is that the character changes over the course of the show such as Oreki. The audience watches his transformation from being a passive nobody to actually being proactive. The second is the type where the character remains relatively static in their overall personality but the audience's perception of the character changes. I think a perfect example of this in general is Fate/Zero where the characters don't change that much but the audience at the end has a much better understanding of the motivations that drive said characters. Chitanda falls in the latter. I think part of Chitanda's problem is that she really isn't an interesting character to the extent that Oreki or Satoshi is. Both of whom have serious personality flaws and the show really delves into that. Even Mayaka's personality flaws are deeper and more interesting.

duckroll

I think episode 6 is really the only one I can't say is good. And even that episode has the usual KyoAni polish, it's just a really weak mystery and setting, and it contrasts poorly with the previous episode, which was exceptional.

Episode 6 was shit, but that has nothing to do with the character development being bad. It was just a retarded story.

kayos90

The thing is that she becomes instantly attached to them and grows close to them in a short amoutnt of time. Yet all that development is still relegated to the end of the series rather than slowly developing them or even foreshadowing. In all honesty I thought Satoshi was the perfect development in terms of pacing.

Jarmel

Banned
The thing is that she becomes instantly attached to them and grows close to them in a short amoutnt of time. Yet all that development is still relegated to the end of the series rather than slowly developing them or even foreshadowing. In all honesty I thought Satoshi was the perfect development in terms of pacing.

Satoshi had the most screentime into discussing his flaws and issues. Oreki's they kinda threw to the side after the film arc. Satoshi's issues to be fair though are the most interesting of the four.

Articalys

Looks like the grand master plan to animate the -monogatari series is moving ahead on schedule.
According to the cover note of Tsukimonogatari (13th volume of Mongatari series), a preview of TV anime "Nekomonogatari (Black)" was announced to be held on December 29th. Nekomonogatari (Black) features Hanekawa Tsubasa and it's about a case occurred between Kizumonogatari and Bakemonogatari.

duckroll

Chitanda falls in the latter. I think part of Chitanda's problem is that she really isn't an interesting character to the extent that Oreki or Satoshi is. Both of whom have serious personality flaws and the show really delves into that. Even Mayaka's personality flaws are deeper and more interesting.

But that is her flaw. Her flaw is that who she is and what is expected of her by her family defines what she can or cannot be. She carries an aura of artificial perfection because she has the responsibility of protecting the honor of her family's name. She cannot be seen as inferior or imperfect in public, even though she's a bit of a klutz and she makes mistakes and poor decisions like anyone else. She's not an "interesting" character because she cannot afford to be one, and in the end, that is her character depth.

Narag

[Space Pirate Captain Harlock] - 10 & 11

I don't know how much of character Harlock himself has, all I know is that he's undeniably a boss:

All he does is stand on deck with his arms folded or sit on his god damn pirate throne which is decorated in skulls. He seems very passive.

I so want to get to this. So many other things to watch at the moment though.

kayos90

But that is her flaw. Her flaw is that who she is and what is expected of her by her family defines what she can or cannot be. She carries an aura of artificial perfection because she has the responsibility of protecting the honor of her family's name. She cannot be seen as inferior or imperfect in public, even though she's a bit of a klutz and she makes mistakes and poor decisions like anyone else. She's not an "interesting" character because she cannot afford to be one, and in the end, that is her character depth.

Alright. I can buy that.

duckroll

I don't think that's true at all. I never felt the characters were truly close to Chitanda until the final arc of the series. Just because you're friends in school with someone and you hang out with them in a club room doesn't mean you really know a person. That's why the final episode was so fucking perfect. She was finally willing to deliberately go out of her way to open up a private side of herself to Oreki, and that changes everything.

Ledsen

If you want to learn how to talk about geological eras or Gnostic cosmological concepts in Japanese, watch Revolutionary Girl Utena!
Or just listen to the soundtrack.

So you like drama, action, sci-fi, comedy as long as it's funny, Miyazaki, weird Japanese things, and good anime? That definitely narrows it down! ;p

Well I did specify some things I don't like :p

Also THANK YOU to all the people recommending stuff.

Branduil

Well I think there are two fundamental types of character development, both of which depend on the perspective of the audience. The first is that the character changes over the course of the show such as Oreki. The audience watches his transformation from being a passive nobody to actually being proactive. The second is the type where the character remains relatively static in their overall personality but the audience's perception of the character changes. I think a perfect example of this in general is Fate/Zero where the characters don't change that much but the audience at the end has a much better understanding of the motivations that drive said characters. Chitanda falls in the latter. I think part of Chitanda's problem is that she really isn't an interesting character to the extent that Oreki or Satoshi is. Even Mayaka's personality flaws are deeper and more interesting.

I think Chitanda is quite interesting, it's just that the story hasn't fully explored her character yet. The tribulations of the rich and powerful can always make for good drama. And I think, like Oreki, what makes her interesting is that as we get to know her and what makes her tick throughout the series, the more we realize how much we don't know about her or the world she was born into.

Episode 6 was shit, but that has nothing to do with the character development being bad. It was just a retarded story.

True. But now that the series is complete, it really does stick out as the ugly duckling of the show.

Jarmel

Banned

That idea though of being restricted by your social class isn't exactly new and they didn't really bring any interesting points to that component. Being boring because your position demands it, doesn't make your character interesting. It's also not a really relatable personality flaw compared to Oreki's or Satoshi self-confidence issues.

True. But now that the series is complete, it really does stick out as the ugly duckling of the show.

It's not the only episode that had a shit mystery in it.

kayos90

I don't think that's true at all. I never felt the characters were truly close to Chitanda until the final arc of the series. Just because you're friends in school with someone and you hang out with them in a club room doesn't mean you really know a person. That's why the final episode was so fucking perfect. She was finally willing to deliberately go out of her way to open up a private side of herself to Oreki, and that changes everything.

I disagree. While she doesn't tell much about herself in detail or at great length, she goes out of the way to describe how she feels deep inside. Take for instance when Oreki and Chitanda were walking back from the hot springs and they talk about sisters. I found this conversation to be very interesting.

Branduil

Indeed. And it was quite nice how they built up to it with the events of the preceding two episodes, where Oreki begins to realize what an odd couple he makes with Chitanda, while at the same time he becomes increasingly aware and respectful of her feelings and desires.

I disagree. While she doesn't tell much about herself in detail or at great length, she goes out of the way to describe how she feels deep inside. Take for instance when Oreki and Chitanda were walking back from the hot springs and they talk about sisters. I found this conversation to be very interesting.

That was interesting, but sharing perspectives on siblings between someone who has them, and someone who doesn't, isn't exactly the same thing as sharing your goals and fears in life.

duckroll

That idea though of being restricted by your social class isn't exactly new and they didn't really bring any interesting points to that component. Being boring because your position demands it doesn't make your character interesting. It's also not a really relatable personality flaw compared to Oreki's or Satoshi self-confidence issues.

A character does not have to be "interesting" to be a good character. The most important requirement is to be natural. I also do not believe all characters have to be relatable, because it is impossible to do so. There are certainly people who can relate to Chitanda, just as there will be people who find Satoshi or Oreki to be unrelatable. What you can relate to depends on what sort of life or experiences you have, since people don't have the same experiences, there is no need to make characters deliberately relatable, they only have to feel authentic.

kayos90

That was interesting, but sharing perspectives on siblings between someone who has them, and someone who doesn't, isn't exactly the same thing as sharing your goals and fears in life.

True but it's quite a glimpse into how a person feels and that alone is pretty insightful. I felt that Chitanda would get more scenes like these and eventually expand upon it but it didn't really happen until the end. Well... at least majorly.

Branduil

That idea though of being restricted by your social class isn't exactly new and they didn't really bring any interesting points to that component. Being boring because your position demands it, doesn't make your character interesting. It's also not a really relatable personality flaw compared to Oreki's or Satoshi self-confidence issues.

There's no such thing as a new character type. Chitanda is interesting because she feels like a believable person with goals, desires, and responsibilities and her life isn't defined solely by her relationship with the protagonist. That last one seems kind of obvious, but when you look at the number of anime where females exist solely to compete for the right to be the protagonists' arm candy, it's really not.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
There's no such thing as a new character type. Chitanda is interesting because she feels like a believable person with goals, desires, and responsibilities and her life isn't defined solely by her relationship with the protagonist. That last one seems kind of obvious, but when you look at the number of anime where females exist solely to compete for the right to be the protagonists' arm candy, it's really not.
Sounds like a Takahashi work.

Branduil

True but it's quite a glimpse into how a person feels and that alone is pretty insightful. I felt that Chitanda would get more scenes like these and eventually expand upon it but it didn't really happen until the end. Well... at least majorly.

She got quite a lot of development in the School Festival arc.

Sounds like a Takahashi work.

What does, Hyouka or the generic harem series I'm comparing it to?

Jarmel

Banned
A character does not have to be "interesting" to be a good character. The most important requirement is to be natural. I also do not believe all characters have to be relatable, because it is impossible to do so. There are certainly people who can relate to Chitanda, just as there will be people who find Satoshi or Oreki to be unrelatable. What you can relate to depends on what sort of life or experiences you have, since people don't have the same experiences, there is no need to make characters deliberately relatable, they only have to feel authentic.

Well I disagree on that. They don't need some sort of quirk or eccentric personality but they do however need something that sets them apart and not make them generic. Obviously there needs to be some sort of realistic, natural as you state, component to them otherwise it feels forced and artificial but there also needs to be something that separates them as well. Now as for relatability, I think that's a crucial component for characters as it creates empathy on the part of the viewers and thus allowing them to more immerse themselves in that world. Thus the more relatable you can make your characters to a general audience, the more likely they are to respond on an emotional level. Chitanda's issues of being limited due to her societal position is, I would say, a much less relatable issue than something so fundamental as self-confidence.

There however are interesting and novel ways of approaching said character type.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The Houkago Tea Time Tribute Concert 20

First I was like this. Then I was like this. Then I ended like this.

Banal boring trite my arse. Fuck you all.
I totally called the denouement the moment Yui-chan started giving her thanks with everyone, but that didn't make the punch any less impactful. I'm not gonna chalk it up to wonderful character development or whatever, but if you have been watching this long you at least feel something for these characters. Hopefully nothing sexual, but still.

I haven't been this heartbroken since Sakura and Syaoran parted ways
at the end of Card Captor Sakura, and that was almost twelve years ago.

kayos90

She got quite a lot of development in the School Festival arc.

The thing is that it was kept to just herself and it wasn't expanded upon very well. It was just stated that Irisu's style didn't suit her and Oreki noticed that Chitanda was acting odd. That's about it. Which sadly disappointed me.

Branduil

Well I disagree on that. They don't need some sort of quirk or eccentric personality but they do however need something that sets them apart and not make them generic. Obviously there needs to be some sort of realistic, natural as you state, component to them otherwise it feels forced and artificial but there also needs to be something that separates them as well. Now as for relatability, I think that's a crucial component for characters as it creates empathy on the part of the viewers and thus allowing them to more immerse themselves in that world. Thus the more relatable you can make your characters to a general audience, the more likely they are to respond on an emotional level. Chitanda's issues of being limited due to her societal position is, I would say, a much less relatable issue than something so fundamental as self-confidence.

There however are interesting and novel ways of approaching said character type.

I think she was pretty interesting.

The one where female characters have lives of their own.

Well, it's not just the female characters. One of the things that makes Hyouka enjoyable is that even though Oreki has some impressive skills, the universe of the show does not revolve around him. Every character in the show, even minor ones, has their own motivation which does not necessarily involve being part of the protagonist's otaku-insert life. It makes the world feel believable and real, especially when you combine it with KyoAni's meticulous art direction.

OceanBlue

Chitanda's issues of being limited due to her societal position is, I would say, a much less relatable issue than something so fundamental as self-confidence.

If you aren't from the US, then I'm sorry for assuming wrong, but I've heard that of most tourists, Americans seem to be the most ignorant of class hierarchy and etiquette when traveling abroad. Maybe it's less of a problem with her character and more of a problem with cultural barriers (aka you).

kayos90

I think she was pretty interesting.

Well, it's not just the female characters. One of the things that makes Hyouka enjoyable is that even though Oreki has some impressive skills, the universe of the show does not revolve around him. It makes the world feel believable and real, especially when you combine it with KyoAni's meticulous art direction.

I disagree. While the narrative does have elements that act real and things still go their own way, Hyouka still pretty much revolves around Oreki.

Branduil

The thing is that it was kept to just herself and it wasn't expanded upon very well. It was just stated that Irisu's style didn't suit her and Oreki noticed that Chitanda was acting odd. That's about it. Which sadly disappointed me.

I think you missed some things.
We see Chitanda's desire to be responsible and her frustration with her inability to get things done. We see that to some degree she envies Irisu's skills, and she attempts to learn from her. We see the humorous results of these lessons, and we see her own self-awareness of her limitations.
That's just off the top of my head.

I disagree. While the narrative does have elements that act real and things still go their own way, Hyouka still pretty much revolves around Oreki.

Don't confuse the show being about Oreki with the setting being about Oreki. This is made especially clear during the Festival arc, which is a masterful depiction of a fully-realized, small-scale society. It becomes a true slice-of-life anime, if you will.

Jarmel

Banned
If you aren't from the US, then I'm sorry for assuming wrong, but I've heard that of most tourists, Americans seem to be the most ignorant of class hierarchy and etiquette when traveling abroad. Maybe it's less of a problem with her character and more of a problem with cultural barriers (aka you).

There are class restrictions everywhere including the US. Hell due to my family's position I actually can relate to Chitanda's position fairly well. However the point of it impacting and restricting a person's personality compared to the person just adjusting is something I would say is less common than self-confidence which influences pretty much everybody to a certain extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom