• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
True Tears was great, I doubt her or P.A Works surpass that show.
I have to imagine Tari Tari was better than True Tears... but I have no idea. lol

3D shit in my animu thread.

Fall thread needs to get here fast.
3d > 2d.

Saint Young Men gets anime film
http://i.imgur.com/QW970.jpg

Awesome, I have heard a lot of good stuff about the manga.
I can't believe they're making a film about it. It should be interesting to see how it ends up anyway. lol
I was going to say that it probably won't come out anywhere else, but then I remembered that Jesus is a character on South Park. :p

Ultimadrago

185px-Main_resource_000_008.png

Objection!

iG4UvbFIx8eVp.gif

Jex

[Cross Game] - 10 & 11

Yeah, that's about as long as I'd want that baseball game to go on. I'm glad that nothing is really overstaying it's welcome in a painful, Kaiji-esque manner.

As a side-note, I find it rather odd that Japan has a fascination with baseball. I imagine Wikipedia will tell me all the sordid details of their love affair, but it's always struck me as a little strange.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
[Cross Game] - 10 & 11

Yeah, that's about as long as I'd want that baseball game to go on. I'm glad that nothing is really overstaying it's welcome in a painful, Kaiji-esque manner.

As a side-note, I find it rather odd that Japan has a fascination with baseball. I imagine Wikipedia will tell me all the sordid details of their love affair, but it's always struck me as a little strange.

Japan appreciates the best sport on the planet. I don't see whats odd about that.

Thank America too! Brought the game over there in the late 19th century, and then sent over the equivalent of an all-star team (including the likes of Ruth, Gehrig, Foxx etc) to play exhibition games there and then it spread especially with Koshien.

And yeah the games don't drag on quite the same way they do in Oofuri. If I remember correctly one of the games took up literally half the series in the first season.

Jex

Well I understand that I don't watch shit shows or show that don't appeal to me. My point is that giving a 1 is just as critical as giving a 10. Extremes are hard to reach imo.
Personally, I prefer a 0 to a 1, in terms of 'lowest score' because 1 seems to imply that the experience was greater than something. Not that I really dig decimal scoring systems in general - the whole 'ten point scale' thing just seems inherently odd and artificial. The debates about such measuring tools have been rehashed endlessly over in the Gaming side so I won't bore you with my opinion here.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Saimoe Round 2 - Groups C & D, Day 4 Results

C4
1st 220 Yayoi Kise @ Smile Pretty Cure!
2nd 195 Ui Hirasawa @ K-On!
3rd 114 Yune @ Ikoku Meiro No Croisee

D4
1st 224 Louise De La Valliere @ Zero's Familiar
2nd 204 Makoto Kikuchi @ The Idolmaster
3rd 97 Saber @ Fate/Zero

Amusingly enough, this sets up a Rie vs. Rie match (Nagi/Louise) in the next round.

Anyway, this marks the halfway through round 2; a one day break and then back to things tomorrow.
I'm strangely okay with this.

Jex

Relatable doesn't have to be likable. A perfect example would be Walter from Breaking Bad, not many people would find him likable but there are people that can relate to his general circumstances and situation. An anime example might be Lelouch in that people related to his motivations even if they thought he was a douchebag or hated his approaches. I would say especially great villains are relatable to an extent in that the audience can wonder if they would do something similar.
However, in your earlier post you said:
[...]Now as for relatability, I think that's a crucial component for characters as it creates empathy on the part of the viewers and thus allowing them to more immerse themselves in that world. Thus the more relatable you can make your characters to a general audience, the more likely they are to respond on an emotional level. [...]
There really seems to be a muddling of terminology going on here. What does 'relatable' mean? Why is empathy a crucially linked to relatability? Do you empathize with Walter? Why is appealing to a general audience important?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Personally, I prefer a 0 to a 1, in terms of 'lowest score' because 1 seems to imply that the experience was greater than something. Not that I really dig decimal scoring systems in general - the whole 'ten point scale' thing just seems inherently odd and artificial. The debates about such measuring tools have been rehashed endlessly over in the Gaming side so I won't bore you with my opinion here.

Speaking of which, get a MAL already!

Jex

New key visual for Haganai S2: Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT

I see artists are working hard to keep #perspectivefail trending. This shot, as usual, combines a bad fisheye lens (which only curves the right wall and nothing else) and really weird sizes. The girls at the front of the image are, literally, twice as large as those towards the back yet there's probably only a metre or two separating the groups of characters.

Oh, there's also bad digital lighting at work here but that effects nearly everything these days so it's barely worth talking about.

Firemind

[Cross Game] - 10 & 11

whatthehellt.gif

Ryuukan

I see artists are working hard to keep #perspectivefail trending. This shot, as usual, combines a bad fisheye lens (which only curves the right wall and nothing else) and really weird sizes. The girls at the front of the image are, literally, twice as large as those towards the back yet there's probably only a metre or two separating the groups of characters.

Oh, there's also bad digital lighting at work here but that effects nearly everything these days so it's barely worth talking about.

Yeah, I can't wait to watch it either

Jarmel

Banned
However, in your earlier post you said:

There really seems to be a muddling of terminology going on here. What does 'relatable' mean? Why is empathy a crucially linked to relatability? Do you empathize with Walter? Why is appealing to a general audience important?

Empathy isn't likability. It's being able to put yourself in their shoes and understand their motivations and what drives them. Yes I can empathize with certain aspects of Walter's personality, I may not like him as an individual but I can understand his motivations. As for relatability, I would say that is there is something about the character that the audience can associate themselves with even if it's basic notions such as providing for one's family. These two are pretty intrinsically linked in that it's about the audience understanding, in the context of the show, of what drives the person. They don't necessarily have to agree with it but have some sort of personal framework to emotionally connect on. As for the last bit, I would say it's an issue of immersion.

I hate to disagree with you here, as I'm certainly not fond of the look of this key visual or anything from this franchise, really, but if you look carefully at the left well you'll see that it's curved in a similar manner to the right. The position of the character in the front left makes it a little hard to notice.

Jex

I hate to disagree with you here, as I'm certainly not fond of the look of this key visual or anything from this franchise, really, but if you look carefully at the left well you'll see that it's curved in a similar manner to the right. The position of the character in the front left makes it a little hard to notice.

You're right, of course.

My problem with the whole curved/fish-eye lens shot is that I can never understand why the background is curved but the characters are not - that's not how it works. This is actual my main been with all images of this type.

Ah well, I guess only Oshii understands how it's supposed to work:

patlabor52.jpg

Well I understand that I don't watch shit shows or show that don't appeal to me. My point is that giving a 1 is just as critical as giving a 10. Extremes are hard to reach imo.

Just noticed I have given 11 shows a perfect 10, but they all deserve it in my opinion. (LoGH, Steins;Gate, FMA:B, Hitman Reborn, One Piece, Hellsing Ultimate, Mushishi etc) :)

You're right, of course.

My problem with the whole curved/fish-eye lens shot is that I can never understand why the background is curved but the characters are not - that's not how it works. This is actual my main been with all images of this type.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t83/sirtmagus2/patlabor52.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/cute-fish-eye-girl-hak3sfq.jpg

if you have the right distance the person in the middle will look pretty normal.

a group works too

/XX/

You're right, of course.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t83/sirtmagus2/patlabor52.jpg
The good thing about animation is that you don't have to follow logical perspectives or conventional-isms as technological limiting factors like camera lens design (glass elements position... whatever) that determine part of the look, the composition of a scene... another matter would be judging the effectiveness of such shot, though, if it accomplishes anything being done like that. For that, in the case of the promotional image you first mention I think like you, but I also don't think there is 'a correct way' unless it is first specified by the author(s) of the image what was the original objective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom