• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

What the hell is going on in this picture?

(The gif is aptly named. :p)

The only thing I could think of was that they too practice Igo Soccer.

true-igo-soccer-2naqdh.gif

Korean celebrity baseball game. They were just doing it for laughs and it is quite funny.
Is it on youtube?

/XX/

Where did you read that? All I've seen is that they're doing Neko.
I hope they adapt Neko (White)
Hanekawa will prove she's the best girl!
The thing is that they are going to end up adapting all the volumes. It was "announced" at one supplement of the newsletter NISIO Tsūshin some months ago:

西尾維新・物語シリーズ(全物語)アニメ化決定! 西尾通信にて正式発表|やらおん!
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-8643.html

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I missed some random scoring image posting?

Mind you, my scale usually goes from 10 to 7. 6 means things I actually finish while I usually drop the crap I really hated.

3su6n.png

KN2Nu.png

I guess I need to watch more anime. Or maybe actually use the full scale.

Gunslinger Girls

HOLY SHIT GAF. How the hell did I not know about this show before? I saw some of the few people here with good taste (aka taste similar to mine lol) talking about it and I figured I might as well. Damn, I feel like I've been robbed by not having noticed it for all this time. It's not perfect but when I compare it to the popular crap that's airing now (I'm looking at you SAO) it feels like manna from heaven sent to reaffirm my faith in anime and to satiate my hunger for shows with that untouchable, unnameable spirit that lifts you up and makes you say "yeah, that was amazing".

Is the second season worth watching? I'm on a crazy high from this show and I don't want a horrible second season to destroy all the goodwill I have towards this show.

Also any other hidden gems? There are quite a few shows I've ignored for whatever reason, is haibane renmei good? If so I'll try that next.

Wow Gunslinger girls - 10/10 atmosphere, great use of music and the psychological aspects was almost meta in the way you yourself have to question the moe behaviour of the girls in the same way the cast does.

Branduil

Is the second season worth watching? I'm on a crazy high from this show and I don't want a horrible second season to destroy all the goodwill I have towards this show.

What second season?

Also any other hidden gems? There are quite a few shows I've ignored for whatever reason, is haibane renmei good? If so I'll try that next.

It's exceptional.

survivor

Banned
Gunslinger Girls

HOLY SHIT GAF. How the hell did I not know about this show before? I saw some of the few people here with good taste (aka taste similar to mine lol) talking about it and I figured I might as well. Damn, I feel like I've been robbed by not having noticed it for all this time. It's not perfect but when I compare it to the popular crap that's airing now (I'm looking at you SAO) it feels like manna from heaven sent to reaffirm my faith in anime and to satiate my hunger for shows with that untouchable, unnameable spirit that lifts you up and makes you say "yeah, that was amazing".

Wow Gunslinger girls - 10/10 atmosphere, great use of music and the psychological aspects was almost meta in the way you yourself have to question the moe behaviour of the girls in the same way the cast does.
Yes, it's really good

sonicmj1

Gunslinger Girls

I can't speak from firsthand experience, but someone posted this brief review of Gunslinger Girl Season 2 recently, so I think you should probably pass.

It was produced by Artland instead of Madhouse, and it shows.

Also, Haibane Renmei is extremely good, even if the pacing is kind of slow at the beginning, and I'd recommend it.

Gunslinger Girls

From everything I've heard, don't watch the second season.

sonicmj1

People are zooming past me while I'm working up to the finish line of Gunslinger Girl!

--

I had honestly not seen a single screencap of season 2 until now.

Why sonicmj1, why?

Slow and steady wins the race! At least metaphorically.

And it had to happen eventually.

Surely there's more to Gunslinger Girl than the art.

There is. And since I haven't seen Season 2 (I haven't finished Season 1), I have no idea if there are other issues. I can guess from the standard action anime OP, but I don't know for sure.

What gives me pause is that in S1, Gunslinger Girls is already walking a very fine line in how it presents its cyborg assassins. The girls are basically broken as people by what they've become. Being a handler isn't supposed to be some aspirational thing. It's a form of institutionalized child abuse, and the show portrays it in a measured, even-handed way that empathizes with everyone involved without condoning their behavior.

S2's art is already worse, but beyond that, the move to a more traditional huge-eyed cute design for the girls suggests to me that Artland had no clue what they were doing when they took the project. I don't know if the show's content would support that, but I'd be shocked if it didn't.

Your MAL says today is your birthday, so happy birthday!

Yeah. Happy birthday, man!

Thanks.

And I should probably check out Dog Soldier. Just by the title alone it sounds amazing.

"When an American scientist carrying a cure for the AIDS virus is kidnapped by an arms merchant, John Kyosuke is forced back from retirement. He accepts the challenge to regain pocession of the anti-serum. He finds out that some of the people he is after are closely related, which gives his conquest a whole new meaning." How can you go wrong with a synopsis like that?

There is. And since I haven't seen Season 2 (I haven't finished Season 1), I have no idea if there are other issues. I can guess from the standard action anime OP, but I don't know for sure.

What gives me pause is that in S1, Gunslinger Girls is already walking a very fine line in how it presents its cyborg assassins. The girls are basically broken as people by what they've become. Being a handler isn't supposed to be some aspirational thing. It's a form of institutionalized child abuse, and the show portrays it in a measured, even-handed way that empathizes with everyone involved without condoning their behavior.

S2's art is already worse, but beyond that, the move to a more traditional huge-eyed cute design for the girls suggests to me that Artland had no clue what they were doing when they took the project. I don't know if the show's content would support that, but I'd be shocked if it didn't.

I haven't seen either season of Gunslinger Girl, but I do recall hearing that the manga author was displeased with how the first season handled his material, and took a more direct involvement in the second season. I believe that, similarly to Moyashimon Returns, the new character designs were closer to the manga.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Thanks.

"When an American scientist carrying a cure for the AIDS virus is kidnapped by an arms merchant, John Kyosuke is forced back from retirement. He accepts the challenge to regain pocession of the anti-serum. He finds out that some of the people he is after are closely related, which gives his conquest a whole new meaning." How can you go wrong with a synopsis like that?

I haven't seen either season of Gunslinger Girl, but I do recall hearing that the manga author was displeased with how the first season handled his material, and took a more direct involvement in the second season. I believe that, similarly to Moyashimon Returns, the new character designs were closer to the manga.

Happy Birthday!

Gotcha. Those seem like fair reasons to doubt its content.

Narag

One Piece 36

Bellemere's mangled arm and screaming
was more unsettling than anything in that horror OVA I watched last night.
I hate when an awesome character is offed like that too.
Fuuuuuuuuuck you, Arlong.

survivor

Banned
Binbougami ga 4

I really wish this show was more clever at maintaining the status quo cause the ending of this episode and the "moral lesson" they had was very dumb.

Hidamari Sketch 3

I just realized that Yuno is Poplar. I knew they sounded similar in the first 2 episodes but I never really checked until now. No wonder why I like Yuno's voice.

Is the anime adapting random chapters out of order cause I noticed the dates aren't in chronological order.

Kazzy

Binbougami ga 4

I really wish this show was more clever at maintaining the status quo cause the ending of this episode and the "moral lesson" they had was very dumb.

You better get used to that.

When you stop to consider just how short the actual series is anyway, it's especially egregious.

Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team 12 : "Last Resort" [END]

Children conditioned with identity issues?

I didn't ask for this.

Seriously, what a lame final episode.

Hearing you guys describe this final episode is weird because I don't think I've ever seen it. I watched it originally on Toonami and the last episode I remember is 11. I watched Toonami religiously back then so I think I would have seen 12 if they aired it. Maybe the people at Williams Street were kind and saved my enjoyment of the series.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Happy birthday hosanna!

One Piece 36

Bellemere's mangled arm and screaming
was more unsettling than anything in that horror OVA I watched last night.
I hate when an awesome character is offed like that too.
Fuuuuuuuuuck you, Arlong.

You're going to enjoy all future OP character backstories.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Hearing you guys describe this final episode is weird because I don't think I've ever seen it. I watched it originally on Toonami and the last episode I remember is 11. I watched Toonami religiously back then so I think I would have seen 12 if they aired it. Maybe the people at Williams Street were kind and saved my enjoyment of the series.

Yeah toonami didn't air it.

Honestly I didn't think it was that bad but really only because
I found the entire romance to be really charming and pleasant - for the first and last time I can ever say that about romance in a Gundam series.

Haibane Renmei is indeed very good. Richly and thoughtfully conceived world and characters.

Along those lines, I'd also recommend the movie Colorful, which I just watched. It's very different from Haibane in setting and approach, but the themes it treated (spoilers for both -
redemption after suicide, the mingled beauty and ugliness of human relationships
) and how it sensitively handled them reminded me of the earlier show. I'm surprised I haven't really seen anyone talk about it, because it's brilliant as far as I'm concerned. The opening sequence, utilizing first-person perspective, has to be one of the strongest openings for an anime film that I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom