• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Snazzy-looking bonus item from RightStuf for the first-run buyers of C. Too bad the show's not really worth it.
%5Bc%5D5.jpg

just think of the possibilities

Branduil

It should also be pointed out that sometimes the production of background art is even more diversified than simply one anime production studio working with one background studio. There are also cases where an aime studio might contract an art director from one studio, while contracting the actual production of backgrounds to another studio. This would mean that while the original art direction and art setting materials could be extremely detailed or well planned, the actual production of backgrounds in the show itself might not fully reflect that. This would be similar to a show where the original character designs are detailed, unique and in-depth, but such is not reflected in the animation character designs.

That just seems like a poor way to plan things.

In the end, it really depends on how serious a studio is about having their own stamp on the quality assurance of a production, and how invested they are in making the product look good. The more they care, the more it shows in the end result.

Sure. And in my lmited experience, KyoAni, Brains Base, and Production I.G. seem to be the studios that care the most in recent productions.

I never knew that, thanks for the info. To me, background art really isn't an important thing however. :p

Don't worry, there are plenty of anime out there to cater to your apathy for good art.

Ultimadrago

Hidamari Sketch x365 10

iM06ndDRR08u4.PNG

I'm very pleased that this art style is still being executed since its debut earlier this season.

Molding shoe shapes, eh? It feels like it has been a while since a half-episode focused on an in-class activity. I liked Yoshinoya's chalk drawings of herself as she led the class through the steps. Also poor Miyako (emphasis on "poor"), talking on her family using the pennies they had to get some old ice skates...

On the other hand, best Natsume soul crushing yet!

Miyako meeting Yuno's parents made me chuckle.

"They don't have X's."

iITYHYtHaM4Tk.PNG

I'd watch it.

Yuno's father "freaking out" over the mysterious hair strand in her room was so...fatherly. So was his awkward, but eventually warming one-on-one with Yuno.
(Followed by another Room 203 tease!)
It was another nice watch, with a couple of notable scenes with mood "colored" directly by the backdrop.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Saint Seiya Omega 24

No amount of nostalgia or Umakoshi can deny the fact that this is a bad cartoon and all of you who keep on watching it are only rewarding Toei for their mediocrity. dropped

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Well, ask yourself this: does what you know about the animation industry in Japan give you much confidence that the majority of productions in general are well planned? :)

No. LOL. jk. I don't know enough about animation studios and their productions to know. LOL.

Branduil

Well, ask yourself this: does what you know about the animation industry in Japan give you much confidence that the majority of productions in general are well planned? :)

Well, with such small margins you'd think they'd try a little harder to get the most bang for their buck. Then again, it doesn't really seem like animation quality has much of a correlation with sales.

Resident Evil: Damnation
tumblr_mayoh7wWbN1r13p8ho5_500.jpg

Leon Kennedy is just plain awesome so this movie was just amazing, whenever he was on screen. Really the movie was even better than Degeneration just based off memory, and even the female characters involved were actually worth paying attention too.
tumblr_maz0pcGxdi1r635ano3_250.gif
tumblr_mavpl8f7Eg1rh2wq8o1_250.gif

Ada Wong must ultimately be applauded for her performance
saving Leon Kennedy and Buddy, I think was his name, in the elevator scheme
as well as her fight scenes. President Svetlana Belikova was even admirable too as an antagonist
would have been an interesting ending if she had prevailed

BOW's were of an interesting design even I think, impractical (though it was always a blast seeing them interact with Leon on screen and then the various ways he eliminates them, really cool.
tumblr_male5uSx6b1r1btizo3_250.gif

Like why do they just once the people are infected get bloodshot eyes, then retain humanity, then their head busts open to reveal all these tongue like appendages? Anyway the best ones were the ones that were actually the big tall towering humans that served as seemingly the final bosses. Strong sturdy yet an interesting challenge to take down. Elevator (slowest elevator ever) had the best moment and then just the explosions in both the underground facility as well as above ground. Oh and when it grabbed the missile, amazing.

Human Human interactions are what I liked best though, Leon Ada President were just real good and I wish there were a bit more, and also President and Buddy(?). Anyway was a fun ride and worthwhile purchase hope they purse more CG with Leon though. Plot was alright though left me with a few questions.
Where did the BOW's come from, what was their fate, what was the whole ending scene about, who was Ada giving the sample too?

Credits was RE6 stuff but since I actually get too scared playing the games, wish I knew if this rolled into it...

Branduil

The particular brand of character-driven melodrama that P.A. Works likes to employ strikes a chord with a lot of anime watchers; that's the only explanation I can think of.

Well, it's not hard to see a common theme when you look at Tari Tari, Hanasaku Iroha, and Angel Beats. Of course, only one of those was directed by Ando.

They did try something different with Another, but that utterly bombed.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Resident Evil: Damnation

Leon Kennedy is just plain awesome so this movie was just amazing, whenever he was on screen. Really the movie was even better than Degeneration just based off memory, and even the female characters involved were actually worth paying attention too.

Ada Wong must ultimately be applauded for her performance
saving Leon Kennedy and Buddy, I think was his name, in the elevator scheme
as well as her fight scenes. President Svetlana Belikova was even admirable too as an antagonist
would have been an interesting ending if she had prevailed

BOW's were of an interesting design even I think, impractical (though it was always a blast seeing them interact with Leon on screen and then the various ways he eliminates them, really cool.

Like why do they just once the people are infected get bloodshot eyes, then retain humanity, then their head busts open to reveal all these tongue like appendages? Anyway the best ones were the ones that were actually the big tall towering humans that served as seemingly the final bosses. Strong sturdy yet an interesting challenge to take down. Elevator (slowest elevator ever) had the best moment and then just the explosions in both the underground facility as well as above ground. Oh and when it grabbed the missile, amazing.

Human Human interactions are what I liked best though, Leon Ada President were just real good and I wish there were a bit more, and also President and Buddy(?). Anyway was a fun ride and worthwhile purchase hope they purse more CG with Leon though. Plot was alright though left me with a few questions.
Where did the BOW's come from, what was their fate, what was the whole ending scene about, who was Ada giving the sample too?

Credits was RE6 stuff but since I actually get too scared playing the games, wish I knew if this rolled into it...

Does this even belong in the anime thread? LOL.

duckroll

Well, it's not hard to see a common theme when you look at Tari Tari, Hanasaku Iroha, and Angel Beats. Of course, only one of those was directed by Ando.

They did try something different with Another, but that utterly bombed.

I don't think Angel Beats is a good companion in that comparison. That was a heavily marketed new original anime created by Key. It sold really well because of that combination, and has less to do with PA Works.

True Tears, Hanairo, and Tari Tari are probably the closer comparison in terms of the sort of slice of life x drama x schoolgirls concept which PA Works has been somewhat successful in tapping into.

Edit: I should add that True Tears actually sold pretty poorly, but since Tari Tari seems to be selling better than Hanairo there is an argument to be made that they're actually growing that specific fanbase over time.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
K-ON!! 22
They'll keep on driving the :firehawk through the deepest reaches of my heart.

I've been a very vocal hater of Poochienyan in the past, but the focus on her character these past few episodes has been superb.
I still find it pretty shitty that Ui and Jun will not join the club, especially after they've gone to such ends to help Poochienyan deal with the feelings of solitude she experiences from having her sempai leave.
Also what the fuck? We were at the culture festival just two episodes ago and now it's Valentine's Day? Are they pulling another Haruhi on me?

Cat Soup

Back when I watched Redline, I commented that if you were going to make something that's all about the visuals and the style, you should

"1) Keep it relatively short (30 minutes max would be ideal).

2) Keep it wordless."

This OVA certainly met both criteria. Its half-hour length did not overstay its welcome, and there is no talking except nonsense sounds and occasional written speech balloons. There is a plot - a young boy gets inadvertently toyed with by supernatural forces as he seeks the missing half of his sister's soul - but the emphasis is squarely on the surreal dream-like imagery. Masaaki Yuasa co-created the scenario with director Tatsuo Sato, storyboarded the piece, and produced the animation - you can certainly see in the human character designs, the distorted perspectives, the scraggly lines, the experimentation with different visual styles (particularly in the section where time is played with), and other aspects elements that would later reappear in Mind Game and Kemonozume.

One thing that can confidently be said about this is that it is disturbing. The designs for the cats are already disquieting, with their large black eyes, but then there is the casual, clinical approach to violence and death - people get chopped up and the world hardly bats an eye.

That pig scene in particular made me squeamish.

Branduil

Um, wasn't Dennou Coil a daytime anime?

Iso ;_;

I don't think Angel Beats is a good companion in that comparison. That was a heavily marketed new original anime created by Key. It sold really well because of that combination, and has less to do with PA Works.

True Tears, Hanairo, and Tari Tari are probably the closer comparison in terms of the sort of slice of life x drama x schoolgirls concept which PA Works has been somewhat successful in tapping into.

Edit: I should add that True Tears actually sold pretty poorly, but since Tari Tari seems to be selling better than Hanairo there is an argument to be made that they're actually growing that specific fanbase over time.

True enough, but couldn't you also say that Angel Beats put them on the map, for whatever reasons, and gave them the opportunity to tap into that fanbase? As you say, True Tears sold poorly, and that was before Angel Beats.

survivor

Banned
Hidamari Sketch 4

They really gotta stop using that pixelated looking filter they apply sometimes when they zoom in to someone's face. It's ugly and distracting.

So what where these two girls doing in the woods alone? Also now that I think about it, Sae is always in Hiro's room whenever Yuno and Miya go there. Very suspicious.

Branduil

Accel World - Finale

Much like the rest of the series, I enjoyed the time spent in the videogame and found the rest of the material to be tedious. Still, it delivered in the area that I was most interested in:

aw23gif_zps0b80a94d.gif

Whenever I see these Accel World .gifs, I feel like the incredibly awful coloring and art direction really detracts from the animation going on. As in it's hard to judge it fairly because it's just so cheap-looking.

7Th

Cat Soup

Back when I watched Redline, I commented that if you were going to make something that's all about the visuals and the style, you should

"1) Keep it relatively short (30 minutes max would be ideal).

2) Keep it wordless."

This OVA certainly met both criteria. Its half-hour length did not overstay its welcome, and there is no talking except nonsense sounds and occasional written speech balloons. There is a plot - a young boy gets inadvertently toyed with by supernatural forces as he seeks the missing half of his sister's soul - but the emphasis is squarely on the surreal dream-like imagery. Masaaki Yuasa co-created the scenario with director Tatsuo Sato, storyboarded the piece, and produced the animation - you can certainly see in the human character designs, the distorted perspectives, the scraggly lines, the experimentation with different visual styles (particularly in the section where time is played with), and other aspects elements that would later reappear in Mind Game and Kemonozume.

One thing that can confidently be said about this is that it is disturbing. The designs for the cats are already disquieting, with their large black eyes, but then there is the casual, clinical approach to violence and death - people get chopped up and the world hardly bats an eye.

That pig scene in particular made me squeamish.

Did you read the story of the original creator I posted a few months ago?

Finally ANN's Anime Spotlight has decided to actually spotlight something worthwhile with From the New World. It has English translations of a story synopsis and descriptions of the main characters, but what I want to highlight is an interview with the original author, which has a few interesting tidbits.

Yūsuke Kishi is an author who has written many masterpieces such as Dark Home, Locked Room, Evil Scriptures, and the Japan Science Fiction Award winning novel, From the New World. Today we're here to ask Mr. Kishi about his hopes for the upcoming anime, and about how he went about writing From the New World, a masterpiece that took over 30 years of planning.

Could you please tell us what made you decide to write this book?
I first had the idea for it over 30 years ago when I'd just entered university. It came to me after I read the book, On Aggression, published in 1970 by Australian ethologist Roland Lorenz. In his book he wrote that because humans were weak creatures to begin with, the checks against intraspecies aggression were also very weak. I took my idea from that description, and spent the next 30 years refining into this novel.

What were your reasons for setting the story 1,000 years in the future?
I was considering many time periods as possibilities, but 1,000 years in the future was the only compromise I could reach. One of my main reasons is that I wanted to depict plants and animals which had undergone an irregular evolution. To do that, 1,000 years honestly isn't enough time. It would take ten or a hundred thousand years for that, and I wanted to place it in that future, but if I did so, then elements of the story, such as the ruins of modern civilization, would not be around anymore. I researched many things, like the longevity of concrete, and 1,000 years was about the only point where they might all come together, so that's the time period I set it in.

You could have chosen to set it in a parallel world, but why didn't you?
A parallel world setting is used often in movies, novels, and other media, and I agree that it is an effective measure, but I did not want to do that for this work. I wanted the setting for this story to be a world continued and derived from our modern society, and I wanted readers to believe so as well. The novel is written as a memorandum Saki leaves for her descendants to read 1,000 years later, but at the same time it is also a message to us, her ancestors. That's how I wanted to construct the story.

What feelings do you have towards the animation of your work?
I believe that animation is likely the best way to visually depict this story. Animation is a medium that holds unlimited possibilities. Though we can use modern techniques to create many kinds of images with live photography, the viewer is always bothered by the gap between what is and isn't real. The biggest problem is when you watch a film and suddenly think, “This is special effects.” But in animation, there is no such divide.
Plus, I also think that animation is better suited to the depiction of cruelty and combat scenes. In animation it's less jarring to depict a gruesome scene shortly after making the audience laugh, than it is in live photography. And even if you depict a scene with blood spraying everywhere, it doesn't seem as grotesque or gruesome as it would in live photography.

What are your hopes for the animation of From the New World?
I hope that they take great care in depicting the “karma” that every man possesses, something I wanted to depict most in my novel. And how they try to overcome those hardships and fetters. I hope they do a good job depicting that. But after looking over the script, I don't think I have anything to worry about. I can tell they wrote it with that aspect well in mind. In fact, I don't know if I could've put it all together as well, had I written the script myself. In other respects, I leave the presentation of the animation to them. I have high hopes that their creativity will drive them to add new things not in the novel.

Any message for our audience?
I've placed the setting of this story 1,000 years in the future of our modern society, so I would like them to imagine what it would be like if they were born in this age, if they were Saki, or Satoru, as they watch this animation. If they can place themselves in the protagonists' positions as they enjoy this work, then I think it will be a wonderful visual experience.

What are some highlights in the animation, From the New World?
It depicts a world that, in some sense, is a utopia. However… (Snip)…and I hope people can enjoy their conflict and their dangerous adventure.

Dresden

Finally ANN's Anime Spotlight has decided to actually spotlight something worthwhile with From the New World. It has English translations of a story synopsis and descriptions of the main characters, but what I want to highlight is an interview with the original author, which has a few interesting tidbits.

It sounds good. Nice to see him pursue comprehensive, thoughtful world-building in regards to his work.

duckroll

True enough, but couldn't you also say that Angel Beats put them on the map, for whatever reasons, and gave them the opportunity to tap into that fanbase? As you say, True Tears sold poorly, and that was before Angel Beats.

Possibly, yes. I think that would be a good way to put it. Angel Beats is definitely their first big anime success, and probably got more people to notice them. PA Work's most watched work is probably the Layton anime sequences in the games, since those sell so well, but I also don't think that the general audience playing those games would associate it with them or even notice that they were behind the animation.

duckroll

Nice to see ANN do something useful for a change. I still want to know where they got "Blast of Tempest" from though. :p

Branduil

Is Starship Operators worth looking into? After purchasing a handful of Geneon CD soundtracks from TRSI, and thoroughly enjoying each CD, I am searching for any complete Geneon anime collections that are still available in brand new condition. I hate to do blind buys, but if this is worth looking into I want to order it before the box-sets are gone.

What are your thoughts on hard sci-fi? It's not a great show, but if you like hard sci-fi it might be worth it.

Andrew J.

You've reminded me of this shot in Akito.... lol. It really stood out because it was kinda weird, and also sorta lazy, and seemed to have been put it in just for the sake of variety because it was a long talky scene, instead of any deeper purpose in terms of visual direction.

Well how else are they supposed to spice up the talky scenes, have the characters start pacing? We all saw how well that worked in Fate/Zero!

Branduil

A Retrospective of Hyouka Part 2

With the one week anniversary of Hyouka finishing I thought I'd post part 2 of my retrospective thoughts.

Honestly I personally liked Hyouka from the very first episode and as the show carried on it became my favorite of the season and the one I looked forward to each week the most.

Despite remarking that many of the visuals were perhaps more in your face with their presentation I do have to remark and say they were quite eye pleasing. It reminded me of Tsuritama and Yuki quite literally drowning in social anxiety, personally I which more shows would experiment with this, being a visual medium and all. Even episode 6 gave us some memorable visual metaphors such as the chibi angel Chitandas.

It's true they could also be more subtle in presentation as well, such as this quick shot here:

There's the saying that opposites attract and this couldn't be more true for the characters of Chitanda and Oreki, or even others such as Satoshi and Oreki. The dichotomy of the characters really acted as foils to each other and allowed one to play off of the other. It's interesting though that for as many perpendiculars that existed amongst the cast, there maybe exists just as many parallels, that even extended out into the supporting members.

Many people mention Episode 6 as being a low point of the show for it's somewhat vapid and unremarkable mystery. In a way I find it somewhat ironically humourous that the very vapid nature of the mystery is what has led to it's preservation amongst peoples memories in contrast to some of the more interesting memories which are forgotten in time. Plus, isn't it only natural that many of the vapid and everyday moments in our lives are the ones we remember the most sometimes? Episode 6 did have some interesting use of framing I felt such as the following shot here:

For me I focus on the conversation beforehand as I found it much more interesting and much more important than people seem to realize. The conversation about the deadly sins focuses directly on the character traits that existed and will be further explored in future episodes. The episode itself works as a very nice duel layer window which reflects on what has been presented and gives you a glimpse of what will be explored. The very context of this conversation is so neatly woven into the themes that permeate throughout the entire story, the idea of "expectations versus reality" and "hard work versus talent."

It's amazing how these simple lines of dialogue will be explored in the show. The sins of pride and sloth are explored in the very next arc with Irisu confronting Oreki about his abilities and how he perceives them himself. The idea of anger and whether or not one should allow themselves to succumb to it. Their exists a parallel in Satoshi's feelings of how he views Oreki. An anger that exists because his hard work was not meeting the expectations he puts upon himself.

Looking even how this is explored with the supporting cast is interesting. Chitanda is friends with Irisu and looks up to her and has developed her own expectations based on how she perceives Irisu's abilities at persuasion. Trying to mirror these actions she's stuck with the reality that this type of personality is maybe not what she envisioned and not how she wants to be after all. Mayaka is in the Manga club and looks up to work from former members. She puts her own expectations on herself to meet this level of talent. Seeing her seniors abilities she too realizes that she can't ever meet the reality of the expectation she imposes on herself but at the same time she can relate with her senior as even though she may be better than Mayaka there is someone she admires that she too cannot hope to match.

The visuals of the anime do such a great subtle job of delivering these messages. An example being this shot here:

I feel they can hold so many meanings where Chitanda in shown in shadow and Oreki in the light. Maybe it could symbolize the darkness of ignorance for Chitanda as the relationships of siblings were not as she expected and Oreki having one, is in the light of knowledge for knowing the reality. It could also be more of a display of her feelings rather than character in her disappointment that the reality did not meet her expectations. Going back to the festival arc and the theme of expectations vs reality and hard work versus talent,

The parallels there are, again, quite amazing.
The tears are actually Mayaka's but you could also interpret them as her upperclassman crying through the image.

Seeing the story from mostly from Oreki's perspective the whole way, the final episode really shows how much he has grown such as
more easily being willing to do things for others such as being in the parade, whereas he wouldn't have given it a second thought to refuse earlier.
It also shows maybe at how much of a standstill Chitanda's life is by comparison.

Adding to all these character traits and themes which seem so human, I find the subtle little movements the characters make, such as during conversation, to be quite eye pleasing. Adding to the insane amount of detailing KyoAni would put into their environments the subtle animations the characters portray is equally amazing. Many times in anime characters just sit there and blink or in some occasions background movements are made as part of a visual joke. For example, the characters in Hyouka will take a chocolate and maybe play with the wrapper afterwards while listening to another talk, or play a bit with their comparative notes they've compiled regarding a mystery. This happens in many episodes and it's these little but ever omnipresent subtle displays of body language which really brings forth the characters as being more than just simple, one dimensional cardboard cutouts.

Many people don't talk very much about the music in shows they're watching despite being a visual medium but it's amazing how much music can really add to the mood of a scene or conveying a characters emotions just as much as the visuals. In contrast, in amazing how much improper usage of music can detract from these two things. With that I found the music in Hyouka quite pleasing. It's true that many of the songs are reused but in that respect I feel like you can get to know them and they sort of become another set of characters you can become familiar with. I feel this interaction adds to certain scenes more than perhaps it would initially otherwise such as the scene where Oreki is going to investigate a mystery of his own will.

Since this action breaks the status quo this character has established thus far into the story the others are naturally surprised and ask if he's okay. The particular musical piece that plays is usually used to represent something more ominous in nature and becoming familiar with it and having it play with and off of the other characters reactions I felt just really added to the whole joke in that scene.

---

There's honestly probably so much more one could discuss about Hyouka and I'm not sure if I really did a proper or interesting job with my post and the flow of it but I'll leave it at that and say that I thought it was a great show and one my my favorites for not only the two seasons in which it aired but for the whole year.

-Thanks for reading.

I just wanted to comment so you know we're not all skipping this post.

Branduil

Gunslinger Girl FINALE spoilers

Oh but of course.

Well, to be fair apparently
this is because they wanted to hew closer to the manga, and the concluding scene in the first season played out differently than it did in the manga, because the makers of the first season wanted something that felt like an ending.
That's not really a good excuse, though, because you shouldn't just trivialize a thoughtful change like that.

If only [C] wasn't shite.

And you were the show's biggest defender, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom