• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Finally ANN's Anime Spotlight has decided to actually spotlight something worthwhile with From the New World. It has English translations of a story synopsis and descriptions of the main characters, but what I want to highlight is an interview with the original author, which has a few interesting tidbits.

Thanks for brining this to the attention of the thread because I wouldn't discover it otherwise. I don't visit ANN that regularly.

Branduil

Er, I do believe there are people who like it far more than I, such as cosmicblizzard. I just said it wasn't utterly irredeemable, which it isn't. It's definitely not worth owning.

I was blocking cosmic's opinion on the show and its art from my brain on purpose.

Branduil

I'm incredibly unoriginal so I'm going to repost this.

iUzG95MmLhXdF.jpg

Jex

Gunslinger Girls

HOLY SHIT GAF. How the hell did I not know about this show before? I saw some of the few people here with good taste (aka taste similar to mine lol) talking about it and I figured I might as well. Damn, I feel like I've been robbed by not having noticed it for all this time. It's not perfect but when I compare it to the popular crap that's airing now (I'm looking at you SAO) it feels like manna from heaven sent to reaffirm my faith in anime and to satiate my hunger for shows with that untouchable, unnameable spirit that lifts you up and makes you say "yeah, that was amazing".

Is the second season worth watching? I'm on a crazy high from this show and I don't want a horrible second season to destroy all the goodwill I have towards this show.

Also any other hidden gems? There are quite a few shows I've ignored for whatever reason, is haibane renmei good? If so I'll try that next.

Wow Gunslinger girls - 10/10 atmosphere, great use of music and the psychological aspects was almost meta in the way you yourself have to question the moe behaviour of the girls in the same way the cast does.

agreebyrd.gif

I'm glad that another soul has been saved - but there is no second season.

Jex

You've reminded me of this shot in Akito.... lol. It really stood out because it was kinda weird, and also sorta lazy, and seemed to have been put it in just for the sake of variety because it was a long talky scene, instead of any deeper purpose in terms of visual direction.

iXzWwda5dF41s.jpg

I take it neither of the two characters in this sequence has just said something really powerful that 'warps' the perception of other?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
K-ON!! 23
Yui: "What is After School for you?"
Ritsu: "Let me see... a waste of time."

You can't say KyoAni doesn't know how to poke fun at itself. And you know... I'm okay with that. It really is a fun waste of time. K-ON never tried to present itself as hardcore melodrama or as an epic storytelling exercise spanning hundreds of minutes. It was just a little cartoon about what it's like to have friends in high school and do silly stuff with them. Sure, it's very "ordinary", but at least it's honest.
:( I don't wanna finish K-ON.

Mature

.hack//Quantum 2-3 (WIRED PRISONER, The World-end Pallbearer) [End]
KJajE.png

VqtqI.png

Well, that's a mouthful.

Like I mentioned in my impressions for the first part, I believe .hack's story to be in it's best form when dealing with that extend it's reach into the real world (That is, the anime's "real world"). Quantum, showing it's brand's decade of experience in this particular sub-genre, pulls it off perfectly.

It's hard, as a viewer, to care about places and events when they're taking place in a virtual setting-- consequences are less meaningful when it's ultimately just a game. .hack//Quantum spends a healthy amount of time in the quaint, subtly futuristic real-world to get more acquainted with it's protagonists, but all the action and drama still happens in the game world. But the frenetic pace isn't stilted by the fact that they're just avatars in a game world. I think It's here that Quantum succeeds and turns into something worthwhile. The game is actually a proper conduit for the characters to be sleuthing around for answers. It's not about the immediate danger of monster A, it's the implications of not finding something. It doesn't come off as contrived, it's entertaining. What's more, it doesn't quickly jump to the "If we die here, we die in the real world" card. which does come off rather contrived.
(Though it does actually use this in the 3rd part!)
This successful dynamic aside, Quantum is simply a well-paced, fun adventure with characters that I'm sad I won't see more of. Which is odd to think of, since going in it was hard not to expect a one-dimensional, Legend of the Twilight-like situation given the character model rehashes of the original dothackers.
/stealth SAO bashing

Maybe I'm laying the praise on a bit too thick though; the show wasn't without it's faults. There were some ugly moments of large CG monsters that brought the momentum of a key scene to a complete stop. Some of the plot devices felt like ham-fisted parallels to past .hack media. Which seems like such an odd move, too. The fanservice you're granting is for a very niche base. Why are you doing it at the risk of making that very base annoyed? If they were purely creative decisions, they were odd ones to be sure.
I can't be the only person who thought Hermit was straight up Sakaki from G.U. 10-year old dying and being trapped in the game? That's the first thing that jumped to my mind.

Negatives aside, excluding .hack//Sign, this is the first .hack animation I've watched that feels like a well directed, cohesive piece of entertainment. It creates a very confined, but compelling story that I imagine would feel inviting to someone new to the franchise, while also leaving them wanting more from the world. And that's just about the best thing you could ask for in a 3-part OVA from an overwhemingly huge universe.

Edit: Oh, man, the Blu-Ray/DVD Combo is $16 on Amazon? Yeah... Gotta grab that.

Soma

Happy birthday icarus and hosanna.

I don't even talk to you guys much if at all but I do enjoy your posts nonetheless.

Articalys

Well, the Daily Lives of High School Boys manga just came to an out-of-nowhere screeching halt. Dunno what that means for any potential plans of a second anime season.
Manga creator Yasunobu Yamauchi released the final chapter of the Daily Lives of High School Boys (Danshi Kōkōsei no Nichijō ) series on Square Enix's Gangan Online website on Thursday. There was no previous sign that the manga would end this week. Square Enix will publish the manga's seventh volume this December.

The gag comedy manga follows the humorous yet "realistic" everyday life of Tadakuni, Hidenori, Yoshitake, and other students at a boys' high school. In the final chapter, the three main characters have a light and comedic talk about the masked hero that saved Hidenori from bullies when he was a child. The ending of the chapter reveals the truth behind the hero.

The manga launched in Gangan Online in 2009 and inspired a television anime earlier this year. NIS America licensed the anime for a North American release.

sonicmj1

My opinion is worthless around here :(

Even if our tastes are different, you're aware enough of both why you like what you like and what people look for in shows to provide useful opinions. Some posters can't get beyond their own tastes, and just get baffled when people dislike the shows they enjoy, or vice versa.

-----

Happy birthday, hosanna and icarus!

Articalys

A brand new Chuunibyo Demo Koi ga Shitai video, "Lite Episode 1":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK_aZiizefg

This seems to be a mini-story that won't be part of the TV series. Look's like they'll be showing a new one via YouTube every week for an unknown length of time, taking down the previous week's each time a new video gets posted.

Also, two new updates on the site's character page: Yuta and Rikka's teacher Nanase Tsukumo (voiced by Kikuko Inoue), and Rikka's sister Toka Takanashi (voiced by Eri Sendai).

A brand new Chuunibyo Demo Koi ga Shitai video, "Episode 1 Lite":

Seems to be about three minutes of show footage, bookended by the promotional OP and ED from the preview screenings.

Also, two new updates on the site's character page: Yuta and Rikka's teacher Nanase Tsukumo, and Rikka's sister Toka Takanashi.
They'll probably look better in motion, but those are...uh...less than stellar. The faces don't match the bodies at all.

Branduil

Seems to be about three minutes of show footage, bookended by the promotional OP and ED from the preview screenings.

Also, two new updates on the site's character page: Yuta and Rikka's teacher Nanase Tsukumo, and Rikka's sister Toka Takanashi.

Well, it's hard to comment on the content without knowing what they're saying, but this certainly seems like a step down from Nichijou and Hyouka just from an audiovisual standpoint. It's obviously high-budget animation, but the art direction is really quite bland; the backgrounds seem entirely perfunctory. And just listen to that utterly mediocre BGM they trot out.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

1.) So much fucking glow it's ridiculous.

2.) The girl's a moron.

3.) Jun Fukuyama is glorious.

4.) Are those two going out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom