• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Just because there are good stopping points doesn't mean it isn't endless. The story still continues and ties into the previous parts. Even if Araki is making it up as he goes along and forgets vital plot points, it's still a long-running work with an overarching plot.

I don't really think we can even consider it "endless" anymore, considering the current stories are complete alternate realities that have no connection to the actual previous stories. C'mon.

Phantom Blood is not Battle Tendency. Neither are Steel Ball Run. Etc.

duckroll

What's not to understand? Jojo's Bizarre Adventure has an overarching plot that spans multiple parts and is still going after 26 years. That makes it an "endless shounen", at least the way people here the term.

I don't think you really understand why "endless shounen" is disliked at all. Pro-tip: It has to do with a story that doesn't ever end.

I don't really think we can even consider it "endless" anymore, considering the current stories are complete alternate realities that have no connection to the actual previous stories. C'mon.

That's what you think! Just wait until Araki ties that plot point he forgot about in part 4 to the alternate universe.

duckroll

That's what you think! Just wait until Araki ties that plot point he forgot about in part 4 to the alternate universe.

It doesn't matter though. Story ends, the next arc is a sequel. Sometimes it's a direct sequel, sometimes its decades later and less related. Sometimes it's alternate reality. In the end, it's like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy. The individual arcs are all conclusive.

I don't think you really understand why "endless shounen" is disliked at all. Pro-tip: It has to do with a story that doesn't ever end.

There's a difference between a story that doesn't end for a very long time and a story that doesn't progress at all, thus being allowed to continue indefinitely.

Though Jojo has the potential to be the latter.

It doesn't matter though. Story ends, the next arc is a sequel. Sometimes it's a direct sequel, sometimes its decades later and less related. Sometimes it's alternate reality. In the end, it's like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy. The individual arcs are all conclusive.

Phantom Blood wasn't really conclusive and there are still plenty of questions raised in part 6 that haven't been answered yet.

But yes, I would call each part a sequel.

Wut? Sorry, you're no longer making any sense anymore.

Take One Piece for example. People call it an endless shounen, but it has a very clear level of progression and an "endgame". The crew gets closer to their goal with each passing arc.

JJBA on the other hand has some plot points that still need to be resolved, but the centralized plotlines are relatively self-contained. There is no foreseeable "endgame" while there is in some other shounens like One Piece. This makes it relatively episodic and Araki can pile on more plot points that go unresolved (aka he forgets about them).

In other words, my semantics argument has just crumbled and you are completely right.

How do you compare it with other shonen? Does it deserve its top rank in best anime list?

I would say it's doing all the different type of stories very well. The comedy, the sad stories, the ones full of action. The really big ones were really well done and were completely enjoyable. There were some misses in stories or execution, but even then there were still good moments mostly from the supporting cast showing up and doing what they do.

Compared with other shonens, not so sure, since most of the main shonens are in my backlog cluster. While I haven't finished it, I can see it easily getting the top rank if the quality of the stories continue to hold up.

How do you compare it with other shonen? Does it deserve its top rank in best anime list?

It's a gag series before a battle shounen, so it's a bit tough to compare it to other series.

I would say its spot at #1 on MAL being deserved is debatable, but there are definitely a ton of less worthy shows that could be there in its place. It's a very well made comedy series even if it does have some YMMV problems.

fertygo

Gintama just have so many episode, so if people keep enjoying it to the very recent one they just tend to give it high score.

Articalys

Finally confirmation, god damn. Blood Lad anime coming 2013.

OBkvT.jpg

Mandoric

Banned
Something i've been wondering lately.

Why do most toku/anime games always have insanely long super move animations? I know it's all fanservice, but when your special animation takes up about 30 secs and the fight lasts a total of about 1.5 min....

Didn't those naruto ps2 game specials even have loading?

Crazy. you'd think folks that would pick up an anime fighter... ah. nvm.

Good animation frames cost 10x more than lazy animation frames. Kids have short memories. Fights look like utter shit without a whole load of good frames.

I would say it's doing all the different type of stories very well. The comedy, the sad stories, the ones full of action. The really big ones were really well done and were completely enjoyable. There were some misses in stories or execution, but even then there were still good moments mostly from the supporting cast showing up and doing what they do.

Compared with other shonens, not so sure, since most of the main shonens are in my backlog cluster. While I haven't finished it, I can see it easily getting the top rank if the quality of the stories continue to hold up.

Sounds a lot like One Piece!

cosmicblizzard said:
It's a gag series before a battle shounen, so it's a bit tough to compare it to other series.

I would say its spot at #1 on MAL being deserved is debatable, but there are definitely a ton of less worthy shows that could be there in its place. It's a very well made comedy series even if it does have some YMMV problems.

So far Ive watched all the other shows in the top 10 and they all deserve their spot imo.

Between the 2, what would you recommend to someone? :p

It really comes down to personal preference. Straight comedy with a secondary focus on action vs action/adventure with a secondary focus on comedy, episodic vs continuous, etc. I personally like One Piece better, but I have trouble getting into long series that either don't have an overarching plot or care little about advancing it.

If you're asking should you watch it, then probably.

Articalys

Oh wow, I didn't notice because it was tucked in the corner of the cover announcement but: the studio producting Blood Lad is Brains Base!

It really comes down to personal preference. Straight comedy with a secondary focus on action vs action/adventure with a secondary focus on comedy, episodic vs continuous, etc. I personally like One Piece better, but I have trouble getting into long series that either don't have an overarching plot or care little about advancing it.

If you're asking should you watch it, then probably.

Nice, I'll watch it until I clear some short shows. Btw is it episodic?

Nice, I'll watch it until I clear some short shows. Btw is it episodic?

It kind of has an overarching plot, but it's very rarely acknowledged. In fact, that might be the biggest complaint about the series. You could go 100 episodes without any kind of progression.

So yeah, it's 99.99% episodic with implications of a greater conflict.

It kind of has an overarching plot, but it's very rarely acknowledged. In fact, that might be the biggest complaint about the series. You could go 100 episodes without any kind of progression.

So yeah, it's 99.99% episodic with implications of a greater conflict.

Hmm, kind of less excited now. I dig episodic shows like cowboy bebop and mushishi but they're only 1/10th of the length of Gintama.

duckroll

I'm pretty depressed now. I actually looked at the tweet the P3M twitter account posted today, and it actually says there is no new update today. They're going to rerun the same teaser video from last month for those who missed it. Meh. :(

I said you wouldn't like it because I was pretty sure you don't like endless shounens.
The manga might be endless, but that doesn't mean the adaptation will be. But then I'm kind of not interested in partial adaptations. :\
It's okay cosmic, you can blame Femmeworth for this. It would never have come up otherwise! Lol.
:x
Finally confirmation, god damn. Blood Lad anime coming 2013.
Hmmm, let's see what this one is about.
The vampire Staz is one of the most powerful district bosses in the demon world, fending off everyone who dares challenge him. But secretly, the fearsome Staz is obsessed with human culture, especially video games, manga, and everything that comes from Japan! When a Japanese girl wanders into the demon world, Staz can't wait to meet the human and learn everything he can about her world. Unfortunately, before he's able to ask her anything, the girl is killed by one of his would-be usurpers, leaving just her bare soul behind. Staz vows to help the girl restore her body and return to her former life-especially since it means taking a trip to the human world himself!
Action Comedy Ecchi Fantasy Romance Seinen Supernatural
Doesn't sound too promising.

Cwarrior

yeah I disagree on the sad story part, most shounen I seen have manged to tell or executed a couple of good sad stories but not gintama (as of yet)it's so bad at it, I wish it would stop trying, all it manages to do is be very boring.

Sounds a lot like One Piece!

it's nothing like One piece, no overarching plot.

it's like filler, episodic self contained plot, each episode is about gintoki doing everyday stuff like helping people or just being gintoki or sometimes some boring story about someone not gintoki.

Reason to watch it:
If your into funny/funnyish "smartly written" dialogue based jokes then gintama second to none.

neat, i really should start reading what's translated of the manga soon :>
OBkvT.jpg

ewww poor man's bleach with a mix of soul eater.

Blood lad is a piece of vapid shait wrapped in common shounen tropes, it will fool you into thinking it has some potential but your only going to find yourself 25 chapters in with nothing to show for it, cause it has yet it to accomplish anything other then being stupid, underwhelming and moe.

As shounen advisor I would not recommend this to anyone, don't get me wrong it's not the worse thing ever it just does nothing.

it's nothing like One piece, no overarching plot.

it's like filler, episodic self contained plot, each episode is about gintoki doing everyday stuff like helping people or just being gintoki or sometimes some boring story about someone not gintoki.

Reason to watch it:
If your into funny/funnyish "smartly written" dialogue based jokes then gintama second to none.

Gintoki sounds like a fun guy.

wonzo

Banned
Oh wow, I didn't notice because it was tucked in the corner of the cover announcement but: the studio producting Blood Lad is Brains Base!
Hopefully Studio Pablo's doing th backgrounds!

ewww poor man's bleach with a mix of soul eater.

Blood lad is a piece of vapid shait wrapped in common shounen tropes, it will fool you into thinking it has some potential but your only going to find yourself 25 chapters in with nothing to show for it, cause it has it to accomplish anything other then being stupid, underwhelming and moe.

As shounen advisor I would not recommend this to anyone.
it must be amazing if your Gintama impressions are anything to go by

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom