• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perfectu Waifu Online 9:

Oh hey, somebody finally decides to kick the main story into gear. It's like they finally flipped the Awesome switch. Only 9 episodes in guys, now can you actually keep it up? Don't fuck up the big deal sequence next episode!

If I ever wanted to run a guild, I would totally take the name Heathcliff, just because. Good thing I'll never want anything resembling leadership in an MMO guild. Leadership in MMO guilds tends to suck unless you're only playing with friends in which case you don't actually need a leader and the "leader" doesn't do a whole lot more than invite to party. Well, if everyone's just out there having a fun, even a guild full of random strangers can be just fine. The most fun I ever had in an MMO guild ever ended up being Touch Fluffy Tail in Tera, which probably isn't actually ironic if I think about it more than 30 seconds. If anything, it makes perfect sense in the insane world of online gaming, where it was the sanest choice.

Edit:
Asuna doesn't contribute to anything except cooking.

She cooks, and bought Kirito 10 seconds so he could get into the menu and activate Duel Wield! What else do you need from your onlline waifu?

Edit 2:
What is Lizbeth doing in Agil's Shop?

She's Lizbeasting? What else would she be doing? Yes, that was added to the anime. Remember that Lisbeast was inserted in a side story for the anime's intents and purposes.

A-1 is actually doing a good job of inserting random flashback shots where potentially relevant to explain Kirito's actions, even though none of that was originally in the LN when it was first written. The amount of retconning being done to SAO to make it look like the side stories were intended to be there all along would make Marvel proud.

Dresden

Well, I'm glad I asked! So something like a "Series Composition" credit is more relevant to a specific show than the actual director? Is this a common practice or is Shaft an exception?

I'll definitely check out the manga and Masakazu's other works.
Series composition is more like a script supervisor. Shinbo is just misleading and somewhat of an exception, although having a 'series director' by itself isn't really rare or anything.

OceanBlue

Series composition is more like a script supervisor. Shinbo is just misleading and somewhat of an exception, although having a 'series director' (in shinbo's case, something like 'ef') isn't really rare or anything.

I thought Oonuma was the director of ef?

That's an understandable reason. Personally, when the anime was starting, I decided to wait out the first couple episodes as I've been burned with VN adaptations in the best (yes, I'm talking about Umineko). When I heard mixed impressions from trusted sources, I decided to wait for the VN translation. I'm happy with the decision I made.

Umineko was really bad, but you have to realize going in that people were expecting it to be better than it was after the successful two seasons of Higurashi. Especially since the production values for Umineko were a lot higher, relatively speaking, than they were for Higurashi. So the amount of disappointment was therefore proportionally much larger than it was for Higurashi, where people were just happy it made it to an anime adaptation, was reasonably coherent, and covered all the source material with delicious (if low-budget) aplomb. Dat crucifixion sequence in Higurashi S1. Yummers.

So don't let the White Fox retro-haters get you down now. Steins;Gate was a Top 3 finisher for Animu-GAF's 2011 Top 10 list for a reason. The people who voted for it then can't take their votes back now, no matter how hard they try!

Bleach 260something

So the non fillers continue and we just get more fights happening at the same time. The Qunicy talking too much about his traps and stuff, Ichigo not really doing anything besides power charging his face rip off skill and Rukia doing something.

Well, I'm glad I asked! So something like a "Series Composition" credit is more relevant to a specific show than the actual director? Is this a common practice or is Shaft an exception?

Sorry, let me clarify. Many series have two directors credited, a "Chief Director" and a "Director", or a "Director" and a "Series Director", or something of that sort. In most cases, this refers to the principal person in charge of the show and his assistant; both people will be involved to some extent in storyboarding and directing individual episodes. However, in the case of Shaft, Shinbo is listed as "Director" or "Chief Director" for all their shows, yet he hasn't actually done any storyboard or episode directing work for any of them since an episode of Hidamari Sketch x365 in 2008. Thus the person credited as "Series Director" or "Assistant Director" is actually the main one in charge of a Shaft show: for example, Naoyuki Tatsuwa served that position for Soredemo Machi.

On the other hand, the person who does "Series Composition" is the head writer, who oversees all the scripts. This position is somewhat important for original anime and somewhat less so for adaptations, though in either case the director and other staff usually have a lot of say in how the writing turns out.

Branduil

I get the part where someone values good writing, I don't get the part where that causes people to defend White Fox. They're not writing their own shows, they're taking the writing of others and adapting it clumsily.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I get the part where someone values good writing, I don't get the part where that causes people to defend White Fox. They're not writing their own shows, they're taking the writing of others and adapting it clumsily.
Right, saying "go read instead" in response to "writing is more important than visuals" is actually a valid response in cases like this, where a written source material exists.

wonzo

Banned
So don't let the White Fox retro-haters get you down now. Steins;Gate was a Top 3 finisher for Animu-GAF's 2011 Top 10 list for a reason. The people who voted for it then can't take their votes back now, no matter how hard they try!
Someone can enjoy the hell out of a show and more than happily acknowledging its faults at the same time and/or in retrospect.

Jex

Is this a trick question? The character design, the vacant looking backgrounds, lots of the lighting.

Somehow I don't think we're going to come to some kind of understanding when you state that the lighting and backgrounds look good in Steins;Gate and bad in that trailer when I think the complete opposite.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Right, saying "go read instead" in response to "writing is more important than visuals" is actually a valid response in cases like this, where a written source material exists.
No, it isn't. It's a passive aggressive dismissal of the position.

Perfectu Waifu Online 9:

If I ever wanted to run a guild, I would totally take the name Heathcliff, just because. Good thing I'll never want anything resembling leadership in an MMO guild. Leadership in MMO guilds tends to suck unless you're only playing with friends in which case you don't actually need a leader and the "leader" doesn't do a whole lot more than invite to party. Well, if everyone's just out there having a fun, even a guild full of random strangers can be just fine. The most fun I ever had in an MMO guild ever ended up being Touch Fluffy Tail in Tera, which probably isn't actually ironic if I think about it more than 30 seconds. If anything, it makes perfect sense in the insane world of online gaming.
Guild leaders can be great. Mine would deliver pep talks during raids with bizarre tangents and analogies that he'd quickly lose track of, come into Ventrilo drunk off his ass and saying stupid shit, and only rarely got pissed off. I'll never forget the time he assumed my Chinese friend was familiar with a Korean player(who wasn't even in our guild) simply because they were both Asian, and was so confused when everyone started ragging on him for it. He was a wonderful man.

Heathcliff doesn't seem very fun, though.

I've been reading the Steins;Gate side-story manga Boukan no Rebellion and quite frankly if you think there's anything wrong with the way the characters were drawn in the anime, I don't know what to tell you about this manga. The artwork for this manga is ugly. It does explain a lot of stuff about Suzuha though so I'm compelled to keep going. The reason for her initial antagonism towards CHRISTINA is explained in the manga for instance.

I just googled that and nothing I saw looked anything like an Ano Hana character.

Then I don't know what to tell you. Purple shirt dude and the brown-haired guy look like they belong there to me despite the different art style. Seriously, the brown-haired guy has no distinguishing features at all except for maybe a nice watch.

I've been reading the Steins;Gate side-story manga Boukan no Rebellion and quite frankly if you think there's anything wrong with the way the characters were drawn in the anime, I don't know what to tell you about this manga. The artwork for this manga is ugly. It does explain a lot of stuff about Suzuha though so I'm compelled to keep going. The reason for her initial antagonism towards CHRISTINA is explained in the manga for instance.
Wasn't it explained in the anime?
Kurisu was responsible for shit going all dystopian or something in one of the timelines.

Branduil

Then I don't know what to tell you. Purple shirt dude and the brown-haired guy look like they belong there to me despite the different art style. Seriously, the brown-haired guy has no distinguishing features at all except for maybe a nice watch.

I think I've found the disconnect here.

Oh yeah

mmo.jpg

Totally a dude that lines up day 1 for a new mmo.

Is he even japanese?

I guess priests gotta have hobbies to (Or ways to find little boys :p).

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Then why not just read the VN?
Look surely you guys can tell I was just joking there. Still, S:G was my favorite anime last year and Dusk Maiden (another ugly show) is the frontrunner this year. Most shows have bad art, maybe the expectations in place are just unreasonable, but I simply don't prioritize the art and am less than interested in consuming the story as a VN.

In general books have remarkably different pacing and structure than a story told in a visual format does.

Jex

I don't see it. I don't think it looks overwhelmingly beautiful, like, say, Hyouka, but there's expressive character animation, a cohesive art direction, and some nice hair.

Well, saying that it looks worse than Hyouka is kind of meaningless because pretty much everything looks worse than Hyouka. I can see where people are coming from when they complain about the character designs, but that's about it.

duckroll

Dance In My Blood's "thing" these days seems to be "who cares about art" so personally I think it's best to just leave him alone. Otherwise you'll end up the way I did and end up posting some slapping gif or punching gif in response to anything he says anymore. It's just not worth caring.

Risette

A Good Citizen
No it isn't. It's a passive agressive dismissal of the position.
No, it is a valid response. When a written source material exists, and somebody claims that they care more about writing than visuals in defense of an adaptation of this source material with poor visuals in a more visual medium than the medium of the original source material, the optimal choice would be to read that source material instead.

There is no passive aggressive dismissal here, I'm just not seeing the logic behind using it as a defense for the show. If it was an original show, it'd be less straightforward than "go read instead", but since this is an adaptation that doesn't do much to set itself apart from the source material, well...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Dance In My Blood's "thing" these days seems to be "who cares about art" so personally I think it's best to just leave him alone. Otherwise you'll end up the way I did and end up posting some slapping gif or punching gif in response to anything he says anymore. It's just not worth caring.
I don't have a thing. I like nice art it just isn't enough. Hyouka's art is really important to how I interpret the rest of the show. Same with YuruYuri. Stop prescribing values to my judgements.

duckroll

I don't have a thing. I like nice art it just isn't enough. Hyouka's art is really important to how I interpret the rest of the show. Same with YuruYuri. Stop prescribing values to my judgements.

I'm just warning people that if they keep arguing with you they will want to e-punch you. That's all.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
No, it is a valid response. When a written source material exists, and somebody claims that they care more about writing than visuals in defense of an adaptation of this source material with poor visuals in a more visual medium than the medium of the original source material, the optimal choice would be to read that source material instead.

There is no passive aggressive dismissal here, I'm just not seeing the logic behind using it as a defense for the show. If it was an original show, it'd be less straightforward than "go read instead", but since this is an adaptation that doesn't do much to set itself apart from the source material, well...
Anime is an audiovisual experience that is fundamentally different from reading so that in itself can justify an adaptation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom