• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Do you mean fundamentally, or just what is being produced?

I mean that the format is not particularly good at supporting the claim of audiovisual experiences in the form we are discussing. There are exceptions of course, like how Time Travelers is basically an anime in realtime 3D graphics, and that's a VN of sorts. Most in the genre are talking heads, sometimes without voice, and don't compare in any form with an actual cinematic experience.

Mature

Sorry, let me clarify. Many series have two directors credited, a "Chief Director" and a "Director", or a "Director" and a "Series Director", or something of that sort. In most cases, this refers to the principal person in charge of the show and his assistant; both people will be involved to some extent in storyboarding and directing individual episodes. However, in the case of Shaft, Shinbo is listed as "Director" or "Chief Director" for all their shows, yet he hasn't actually done any storyboard or episode directing work for any of them since an episode of Hidamari Sketch x365 in 2008. Thus the person credited as "Series Director" or "Assistant Director" is actually the main one in charge of a Shaft show: for example, Naoyuki Tatsuwa served that position for Soredemo Machi.

On the other hand, the person who does "Series Composition" is the head writer, who oversees all the scripts. This position is somewhat important for original anime and somewhat less so for adaptations, though in either case the director and other staff usually have a lot of say in how the writing turns out.
Ah, thanks for the elaboration.

VNs are audiovisual experiences too, though.

VNs have very limited motion whereas anime (I already know the hyperbolic response this is going to get) is all about motion. It really shouldn't be hard to see why someone would prefer that even if it's considered sub-par by certain standards.

Hunter x Hunter 2011 45

Tl8gA.jpg

I feel like the sharp contrast of the overall tone now compared to earlier episodes makes Hisoka even creepier.

Branduil

I'm just saying, even if someone specified to me that they wanted an audiovisual experience, I would still never recommend watching the Umineko anime.

Uchip

Banned
VNs have very limited motion whereas anime (I already know the hyperbolic response this is going to get) is all about motion. It really shouldn't be hard to see why someone would prefer that even if it's considered sub-par by certain standards.

Hunter x Hunter 2011 45

I feel like the sharp contrast of the overall tone now compared to earlier episodes makes Hisoka even creepier.

I also liked the arm stab

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The last VN I played was Analogue: A Hate Story, and I have to say that I find the prospect of it being turned into an anime rather appealing. The art and sound were considerably less impressive than a White Fox Production, for the record, but I still loved it.

Dresden

Last one I tried playing/reading was Steins;Gate. Got bogged down a few hours in and never went back. Might hit it up again in a few months.

duckroll

The last VN I played was Analogue: A Hate Story, and I have to say that I find the prospect of it being turned into an anime rather appealing. The art and sound were considerably less impressive than a White Fox Production, for the record, but I still loved it.

Is that the game on Steam?

Edit: Oh my!

ANIME IS SAVED! FALL 2012 IS REDEEMED! LONG LIVE MAGI! LONG LIVE MOR!!

Uchip

Banned
Last one I tried playing/reading was Steins;Gate. Got bogged down a few hours in and never went back. Might hit it up again in a few months.

I did like how much more in depth her lecture was near the start
In the anime it skips the whole thing

Dresden

I did like how much more in depth her lecture was near the start
In the anime it skips the whole thing

It was somewhat amusing, I guess, but I think I could live without it. The whole thing (as in the portions of the VN I sat through) just... drags.

dimb

Is that the game on Steam?
It has a Steam version, that's where I played it and it's the most complete version that's always up to date. It deals with some interesting themes conceptually regarding gender rights. You can also dress up your computer lady partner as a maid (if you want to).

duckroll

It has a Steam version, that's where I played it and it's the most complete version that's always up to date. It deals with some interesting themes conceptually regarding gender rights. You can also dress up your computer lady partner as a maid (if you want to).

I remember it as the game which popped up as the daily special on the day people expected the Steam Summer sale to start, but it didn't. The title was fitting. Lol.

Jex

It was somewhat amusing, I guess, but I think I could live without it. The whole thing (as in the portions of the VN I sat through) just... drags.

The pacing really isn't that great at the start of the anime but I feel like it's worth slogging through the beginning to get to good stuff.

dimb

Doesn't have a good sense of humor?
No, he's a funny guy. So was his kid. It was more just...the kind of thing that seemed like it would be a touchy subject. I didn't want to go out of my way to bring it up.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Naruto Shippuuden - 271

tumblr_m6f3gdZ4eg1r8d95r.gif

Getting caught up on Naruto again after taking a short break. Kinda pissed they went into filler right when
Ino/Shika/Cho were about to go at it with their old sensei Asuma.
Hopefully
(hahahaha!)
this is just a short filler arc.

Going to pull a Cajun for a moment. *cough* Ahem...

Hinata hnnnnnnnng!

Edit: Nevermind, I don't think the next ep is a filler. So tired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom