• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gintama 99

ZjKRk.jpg

Swordfish bad end.

Ok, this was an amazing episode. I couldn't stop laughing at the complete one upping of gags after another and being all video games based just made it better. A perfect end to the second year of Gintama.

cajunator

Banned
It must be hard to sit down to work on a show that you know completely and utterly failed to sell but that you're going to continue making anyway.

If somebody enjoys what they do then they will keep doing it even if its a commercial failure.

You might've just angered all of AnimeGAF. It's okay cajun. I'll protect you!

I'm quite possibly the only person in animeGaf who likes the Utena dub better. This probably wont even incite anybody at all.

speaking of Asuna, I google'd 'star burst stream' yesterday and accidentally an image of her showed in an awkward position which looked like official promo material. Is the anime taking that kind of route or it's just the promo material that looks kind of erotic ? ...

Hopefully the former but probably the latter.
I found this image as well and saved it. for research purposes.

jman2050

Yuru Yuri S2 10

False Advertising!! I call shenanigans!

But no, one of the better episodes this week. Even the Chinatsu segment was funny, which seems to cement the idea that Akari and Chinatsu work best playing off each other. Also the ending was hilarious.

So... much... tsundere... can't... hold it... all

Jex

I can only really speak for the UK here, but...

the first thing to bear in mind is that distributors over here tend to work on the basis that a show will sell roughly 1/10th the number of copies over here than it will in the US. Obviously this isn't a hard and fast rule (a far larger percentage of the audience for a show like Clannad will be regular importers in comparison to, say, Naruto), but it's actually kind of impressive given the comparative size of the countries[...]

[excessive amounts of detail removed]
Thanks for that post, you've been very informative!

Articalys

Saimoe Round 1 - Group E, Day 3 Results:

E03
1st 232 Kurumi Hazuki @ Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel
2nd 160 Kaori Senou @ Saki
3rd 100 Yunoha Thrul @ Aquarion Evol

E07
1st 212 Hibiki Ganaha @ The Idolmaster
2nd 159 Ringo @ Daily Lives Of High School Boys
3rd 158 Natsumi Aizawa @ Natsuiro Kiseki

E11
1st 295 Taiga Aisaka @ Toradora!
2nd 139 Literature Girl @ Daily Lives Of High School Boys
3rd 104 Erika Kurumi @ Heartcatch Pretty Cure!

-----------------------------------------------

Jex

They even explain it in the episode.

Chitanda is rich as shit. Rich people can afford to pay for broken property. Chitanda couldn't afford other rich people thinking she was in love with a mere peasant
(and doing inappropriate things in a shed)
. It's actually really cruel when you think about it but Oreki doesn't seem to mind all that much which honestly bothered me while watching the episode.

No, they do explain it, but that doesn't mean attacking someone else's property is acceptable!

In general it was just a glib comment but I'm factually far more bothered by the point you made, which occurred to me as well. Not that it really matters because Oreki is completely under Chitanda's control.

Martian Successor Nadesico 1-7

Finally getting around to watching this for the first time thanks to Nozomi/Right Stuf's rerelease. Wishing now that I hadn't waited this long...this is going to be fun :). Ruri is probably my favorite out of the cast so far.

cajunator

Banned

Finally getting around to watching this for the first time thanks to Nozomi/Right Stuf's rerelease. Wishing now that I hadn't waited this long...this is going to be fun :). Ruri is probably my favorite out of the cast so far.

I envy some of you guys watching these gems for the first time!

It's maybe the most animeish anime in the anime history but in a great not unironically way.

Action, mecha, sci-fi, love, harem, comedy and and and... truly a masterpiece.

cajunator

Banned
Things are often a labor of love for the author. By the time they boil down to the tweener, not so much.

Maybe the tweener likes drawing Medaka?
Who knows.

Anyway, there's a beach queen Lan available for order now and its really cute. Has her WAN expression.
I'll wait for a version with her normal outfit though, hopefully retaining the expression.

Mandoric

Banned
Maybe the tweener likes drawing Medaka?
Who knows.

Anyway, there's a beach queen Lan available for order now and its really cute. Has her WAN expression.
I'll wait for a version with her normal outfit though, hopefully retaining the expression.

It doesn't really matter, at least in my experience. A job's a job, sometimes the boss wants to pay you for busywork and it may be psychologically poisonous long-term but if it's just a couple months who cares?
This is helped by the fact that most animu bombs are bombs from the getgo, and get generally shit all over about everything, so you can alwaus blame someone else.

Real stress comes when something have to work on something you actively dislike that's doing unexpectedly well, because it eats away at you that its success is your fault when you see your art show up in a sakuga compilation or someone unironically quoting a line you wrote or so on.

I saw that the other day looking around on AmiAmi. Looks very cute, but I've never bought anything from the beach queens line so I'm not sure what the quality is like. It's budget friendly, at the very least.

cajunator

Banned
I saw that the other day looking around on AmiAmi. Looks very cute, but I've never bought anything from the beach queens line so I'm not sure what the quality is like. It's budget friendly, at the very least.

I never liked that figure line either. While they are cute figurines, they are really plain. what sets characters apart to me is the outfit designs more than anything, so it seems kind of pointless to have a beach queen figure unless you want to collect multiple figures of a specific character (or just want hot glue material).

Saw it posted earlier. Whats that?

Chitanda Sleep mask

Nafe

Of all the problems Ano Hana had, character design wasn't one of them.
Except Anaru lol.

People referring to Anaru as having "handlebar hair" made me look at the phrase "being the town bicycle" in a new light.

OHGOD I HATE HIM ALREADY

If this is another joke then I apologize but I'm not getting it. :(

If not, I gave the opening of Kanon 2002 a listen and I don't think the music is great but not really bad either. Regarding Royal Space Force, there were three other composers listed so I'm not sure what or how much of the music Ueno did.

Mindblowing, but may constitute Sailor Moon S spoilers

1. Look up Saturn's symbol
2. Look up the notation for the reduced Planck constant, aka Dirac constant
3. Hear Professor Tomoe laughing maniacally in the background

I never made the connection until just now.

Well, I see the similarities between
the look of the symbols
but I'm thinking you're probably referring to a deeper meaning that I'm not seeing.

Its all about MISAKI SAWAKIGUCHI

Misaki is cool but I also like Irisu and Kaho too.

Jex

So old that the last time it was posted by someone who thought it was new it was already old.

It's so old that it's grand kids are already fighting about who will inherit his house when he dies.

That's how old it it is.

Jex

Hyouka 20

About 90% of this episode is fantastic. Oreki / Chitanda are definitely the only reasons to watch the show. I really love post festival Hyouka. It's been the only actually good Hyouka.

Unfortunately the other 10% is Mayaka / Fukube. Good lord they are terrible, especially Mayaka.

She is even uglier and dumber in this episode than she usually is. Truly impressive.

"No, U!" etc.

This is about how much energy I have to 'get mad' on the internet these days. After all, as the thread topic says, all the waifu's are made up.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Space Brothers 22
I feel more and more impressed by this show the longer it goes on. In part, it's kind of funny because on the opposite end of space stuff I'm playing Mass Effect 3 right now, which is bluntly manipulative at every turn. Space Bros. is just entirely emotionally impactful for me while maintaining its simplicity, and I really love the show for it. Even when it is repetitive it feels powerfully genuine with its feelings and themes. This was a great close to a long arc, and I really can't wait to see where the show goes next.

Jex

Fantastic Children Episode One

Anyway, I'm interested enough to keep watching the show to see what becomes of these mysteries. I also apologize if it this post was a long read. Thank you for your time if you did read it though.
Fantastic Children Episode 2

Okay, I had actually watched the first episode just a day ago so having two impression posts not long after each other will likely be an exception, as I don't plan to marathon this show but instead watch it at a rate of one, maybe two episodes a day.

Another adventurer joins the ranks! If only a couple more people jump on board the Fantastic Children wagon it can move out of the "completely forgotten" category and instead go to the "criminally overlooked" category.

It's actually been about four years since I've watched the series and so I'm having a hard time thinking of anything interesting to say about the work. I found the story to be surprisingly powerful and moving which I really wasn't expecting given the premise. There was a lot of area where they could have gone wrong, but they didn't.

Also, of course, Fantastic Children has a fantastic ED, as you've already mentioned.

I really should give it a re-watch sometime and write up some impressions.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Yep such a great show - personally my favorite show from the 90s. It's about as meta as an anime can get, as somebody who didn't enjoy Evangelion at all I enjoy the complete silliness of the series. It drags a bit in the middle but all in all its a fun ride.

Don't watch the non-existent movie though.

cajunator

Banned
Space Brothers 22

I feel more and more impressed by this show the longer it goes on. In part, it's kind of funny because on the opposite end of space stuff I'm playing Mass Effect 3 right now, which is bluntly manipulative at every turn. Space Bros. is just entirely emotionally impactful for me while maintaining its simplicity, and I really love the show for it. Even when it is repetitive it feels powerfully genuine with its feelings and themes. This was a great close to a long arc, and I really can't wait to see where the show goes next.

Agreed. This show is nothing spectacular in terms of production, design, art, all the pretty stuff. but it has loads and loads of HEART in it. This show is about as genuine as you can find in anime and its amazing as a result. There isn't enough anime like this really.

Nafe

Also, of course, Fantastic Children has a fantastic ED, as you've already mentioned.

That reminds me, yourself and a few others were talking about the song titled Moon from the anime ∀GUNDAM or Turn a Gundam and I see different places crediting the vocals being done by Origa who sings the ending theme for Fantastic Children.

Since I don't own the show I can't directly check the source but looking at a couple of different databases, they show the vocals for Moon being done by Gabriela Robin, which apparently is a pseudonym or alias for Youko Kanno.

I was just wondering if anyone knew why there was the confusion with so many people thinking that Origa is the vocalist to Moon? Is it just simply because the singers sound similar or is there some other reason?

Jex

[Natsuyuki Rendezvous] - 9

Nat92.jpg

Heavy stuff indeed.

I understand that there is a sizeable contingent of people in this thread who feels that the pacing for this show has really dragged unnecessarily in the second half. I can see where you are all coming from and it's a very understandable position. The story, as it was presented at the start of the show was about Hazuki (a.k.a creepy guy) and his attempts to woo the manager. For obvious reasons that hasn't been the focus of the show for the last several episodes and, as such, the show is 'wasting its time' by spending so long on all this other stuff.

However, as you have have already guessed, that's not how I feel about the show at all. I will certainly concede that the focus of the story has shifted greatly and that Hazuki's role has been pushed to the side in a rather sloppy manner but that doesn't bother me. We are continuing to focus on the main three characters and I feel like everything we've learned about Shimao and the Manager's relationship and their past has been informative and interesting. I've been engaged throughout this entire run of episodes and I've don't begrudge the story for heading down this route because I find it interesting.

I might have reason to complain if the actual quality of the show had declined over the last few episodes, or if I felt that the characters had acted unrealistically or if the episodes had been paced poorly. Despite one episode with kind of poor art the show has been remarkably consistent in terms of the production and animation. It's always a treat to see a show which doesn't suffer from serious budget issues towards the end of it's run.

Moreover, I can't think of another way I'd have liked to see the events of this episode unfold. Laying aside, for the moment, the question of whether you want these events to have happened at all, I can't think of a better way to do them. Perhaps I've had some of the flashback stuff occur earlier in the episode, but perhaps not. As I believe duckroll has said already in regards to this show, if anyone else was directing this work it would probably be terrible. There are so many possible pitfalls to end up in but they skilfully around the vast majority of them. Just the length of time that they hold on the scene where
Rokka starts crying and leaning on Shimao
is remarkable. They really carry on with that scene for a lot longer than you'd normally see in anime and that's why I think it really works.

Finally, I find that the naturalistic dialogue really helps sell scenes and moments that might otherwise come across as silly of forced. This has been the case throughout the run of the series but I feel that it's still worth pointing out when I am listing all the other reasons that this show 'works'.

Nat91.jpg

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hyouka 20:

Chitanda kimono [redacted]!! I like that Chitanda doesn't ask Oreki how she looks in it, she can just, you know, look at his expression for the answer she wants. :D I love Chitanda's hair in that outfit, so cute! :3

Oreki spends his new year the way I would. I love the exchange between Chitanda, Oreki, and the Shrine Maiden regarding the "not very impressive" gift. XD Mayaka with the hair extension looks funny. ;P

And we're back to the beginning of the episode. Come on your two, you KNOW you wanna cuddle for warmth! :3 I love Oreki's expression in each of the 4 escape methods, esp. the hole.

And Fukube's still a trooper! :D

ByL8Tl.jpg

Those 2 are married ?
Yuru yuri S2 - 10

I really wasn't expecting an episode like it ...
i really thought this was a S1 episode i got by mistake untill the opening started .. Great stuff i was almost fooled.

BluWacky

I was just wondering if anyone knew why there was the confusion with so many people thinking that Origa is the vocalist to Moon? Is it just simply because the singers sound similar or is there some other reason?

Origa sang Moon in the live Turn A Gundam concert. Gabriela Robin (which is indeed Kanno's pseudonym, as proved conclusively when she sang Moon herself at her Tanabata Sonic concert) sings Moon as featured in the first episode of Turn A.

The song is also used as the third ED with Japanese lyrics, Tsuki no Mayu (Lunar Cocoon), where it's sung by Aki Ouki.

Jex

That reminds me, yourself and a few others were talking about the song titled Moon from the anime ∀GUNDAM or Turn a Gundam and I see different places crediting the vocals being done by Origa who sings the ending theme for Fantastic Children.

Since I don't own the show I can't directly check the source but looking at a couple of different databases, they show the vocals for Moon being done by Gabriela Robin, which apparently is a pseudonym or alias for Youko Kanno.

I think I can clear this up. As you say, "Moon" is a song in ∀ GUNDAM which is performed by Gabriela Robin a.k.a Yoko Kanno in the series. Not that Kanno has ever come out and said that she's Robin but it's pretty clear that she is. Yoko Kanno composed the sound track for ∀GUNDAM and Origa actually performed the song "Moon" at a ∀GUNDAM concert, but not in the show - see here.

After that Yoko Kanno worked with Origa on the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex soundtrack.

cajunator

Banned
lol. Well, the music is far & away the worst thing about RSF: Wings of Honneamise, & I am required to automatically hate everyone who helped bring Kanon 2002 into the world. It's not the worst OP in the world (although the character designs bring a lot of traumatic memories to the surface) but it's certainly nothing to jam to like the OP for best Key anime AIR.

Air is probably my favorite of the Keyshits.
Its the least aggravating and it manages to be pretty humorous sometimes, although in weird ways. Potato is the best dog. The music definitely contributes to this. Absolutely gorgeous stuff.

Smile Precure 29

haha that was great. Peace was awesome

This implies that there may be times that Peace is not awesome, which would be false.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom