• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Hyouka 20
hyouka20.jpg

What a great episode, easily up there with the festival arc. Hopefully next week isn't the last one. :(

mayaka's still the best girl™ and anyone who says otherwise is a pathetic scrub who will be forever owned by their bad taste

Aquarion EVOL 8

Been catching up on stuff from previous seasons. I still have no clue what's going on in this show but I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

The whole get naked cause it makes you fight better thing had me in stitches too

The whole thing reminds me a bit of Vandread actually.

Soma

Mayaka's cool. I like her a bit better than Chitanda.

I'm not a fan of Chitanda but I am a fan of Houtarou X Chitanda

And I still have this weird obsession fascination with Irisu-sempai.

duckroll

Just like K-on right? :p

Bad comparison. Hyouka is like Haruhi, an extremely faithful adaptation of existing novels. There isn't enough material for another season, and the author isn't writing regularly. The first 4 books cover the entire first year for the characters, and that's what they have adapted. There is only a 5th novel now, and the series is ongoing but irregular. Same reason why they stopped for Haruhi.

Defuser

Bad comparison. Hyouka is like Haruhi, an extremely faithful adaptation of existing novels. There isn't enough material for another season, and the author isn't writing regularly. The first 4 books cover the entire first year for the characters, and that's what they have adapted. There is only a 5th novel now, and the series is ongoing but irregular. Same reason why they stopped for Haruhi.
I'm pretty sure haruhi got plenty of materials left after season 1 but point taken.

wonzo

Banned
Maybe they could cover the fifth and subsequent books with a movie or OVA series. :>

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Why would they make a 2nd season of Hyouka? Aren't the sales pretty lackluster? They should be churning out a 2nd season for Lucky Star or something.

duckroll

Maybe they could cover the fifth and subsequent books with a movie or OVA series. :>

I think they'll rather wait for enough material. Like I said, the first 4 books cover the entire first year. The 5th book starts the second year. If they wait too long and there's still no new material, they'll probably just adapt what there is if there's demand. But otherwise, I think they'll want to do another season for the second year.

wonzo

Banned
Why would they make a 2nd season of Hyouka? Aren't the sales pretty lackluster? They should be churning out a 2nd season for Lucky Star or something.
There's nothing lackluster about pulling in ~9k for each volume.

Hyouka *1,106+*8,211=*9,317 (2+) (Kyoto Animation)
2012/06/29 *1,116 Vol. 1 Limited Edition (Two episodes up to Vol. 11)
2012/07/27 *1,096 Vol. 2 Limited Edition
2012/06/29 *8,339 Vol. 1
2012/07/27 *8,082 Vol. 2

I think they'll rather wait for enough material. Like I said, the first 4 books cover the entire first year. The 5th book starts the second year. If they wait too long and there's still no new material, they'll probably just adapt what there is if there's demand. But otherwise, I think they'll want to do another season for the second year.
Yeah, that does sound more likely. Hopefully the books starting coming out more frequently.

Ah my exams are finito, I really did bad but I finally don't have to worry about anything. A month long time watching anime in my backlog. ^_^

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
There's nothing lackluster about pulling in ~9k for each volume.

Hyouka *1,106+*8,211=*9,317 (2+) (Kyoto Animation)
2012/06/29 *1,116 Vol. 1 Limited Edition (Two episodes up to Vol. 11)
2012/07/27 *1,096 Vol. 2 Limited Edition
2012/06/29 *8,339 Vol. 1
2012/07/27 *8,082 Vol. 2

Yeah, that does sound more likely. Hopefully the books starting coming out more frequently.

Unless I'm mistaken aren't the only shows to not be at least double that were FMP TSR/Fumoffu
and Nichijou :(
? It doesn't seem like it'd be worth doing a full 2nd season for.

Honestly I'd rather see them something new anyway.

wonzo

Banned
Unless I'm mistaken aren't the only shows to not be at least double that were FMP TSR/Fumoffu
and Nichijou :(
? It doesn't seem like it'd be worth doing a full 2nd season for.
While it's true that Hyouka isn't doing Key/Haruhi/K-On! numbers, it should be more than enough given that it's actually selling better than Fumoffu and that was followed up with TSR!

Full Metal Panic!? Fumoffu *8,601 (6, not including BOXes, including cumulative sales of all versions) (Kyoto Animation/ADV Films)
2003/11/27 *5,639 Vol. 1 Limited Edition (Four 15 min episodes, including two unaired episodes)
2003/11/27 *1,777 Vol. 1 Standard Edition (Four 15 min episodes, including two unaired episodes)
2004/01/10 *7,365 Vol. 2 Limited Edition (Three episodes, including two 15 min episodes)
2004/01/10 *1,541 Vol. 2 Standard Edition (Three episodes, including two 15 min episodes)
2004/01/22 *7,360 Vol. 3 Limited Edition (Four 15 min episodes)
2004/01/22 *2,307 Vol. 3 Standard Edition (Four 15 min episodes)
2004/02/26 *6,532 Vol. 4 Limited Edition (Two episodes up to Vol. 6)
2004/02/26 *2,430 Vol. 4 Standard Edition (Two episodes up to Vol. 6)
2004/03/25 *6,403 Vol. 5 Limited Edition
2004/03/25 *2,513 Vol. 5 Standard Edition
2004/04/23 *7,355 Vol. 6 Limited Edition
2004/04/23 *2,280 Vol. 6 Standard Edition
2007/06/22 *2,684 DVD-BOX (Seventeen 15 minute episodes)
2008/12/26 *6,492 Blu-ray BOX (Twelve episodes)​

Westlo

Yeah but these FMP series were done prior to them hitting massive numbers with Haruhi, don't know if you could use it as an example. At least it has a chance unlike the series before it... L O L

Also suprised the author of hyouka hasnt started work on a sixth novel.

DiGiKerot

Why is it so difficult to get anime in europe? I figured anime would be more popular and easier to get there than in the US for some reason.

I can only really speak for the UK here, but...

the first thing to bear in mind is that distributors over here tend to work on the basis that a show will sell roughly 1/10th the number of copies over here than it will in the US. Obviously this isn't a hard and fast rule (a far larger percentage of the audience for a show like Clannad will be regular importers in comparison to, say, Naruto), but it's actually kind of impressive given the comparative size of the countries.

Over here in Blighty, we have this thing called the BBFC - mandatory certification for video material for theatrical and home video consumption. Costs vary depending on how you chose to submit your work - for example, you could submit something as a full DVDs worth of episodes in one go, or as individual episodes. In any case, there's a base fee and then a per-minute fee to pay, so submitting individual episodes is more expensive, but gives you more flexibility when it comes to additional formats and the like (if you're also doing a BD release, and the disks have different episode counts to the DVD, then you don't want to pay the per-minute submission twice). It also used to be that you had to pay twice for works in two languages (I.e. once for the original Japanese track, then again for the English dub), but I'm not sure what the present situation is with that.

Fiddling around with the BBFC site, let's say that a standard 13 episode set in one language would cost you £3,000.

Now, Sentai Filmworks admitted that, for their sub-only releases, they're looking to sell around 2000-3000 copies, so in UK terms that's 200-300 copies, which means in BBFC terms alone you need to cover an extra £10 a copy in the best case, for something you'd ideally be looking to sell at retail for less than £30.

In additiion to this, you obviously have the costs of producing/mastering the disks for distribution. There's costs involved in producing the disks used by DVD pressing companies even outside of actually producing the content for the DVD, and Sony also charge a licensing fee per BD disk master. I don't know what that fee is, but the UK distributors are always complaining about it. I'd have to imagine that it'd be costing them a couple of grand for the average two disk release, though, if not more, on a medium that's still selling less than DVD over here.

I mentioned last week that Kaze tends to master their disks for the whole of Europe centrally in
France, which does at least mitigate a lot of the overhead in producing disks for the UK (particularly for BD). Manga, for their own titles, actually try to avoid having to produce their own masters as often as possible in order to reduce costs. For DVD releases, they'll often partner with Madman in Aus, split the authoring fees, and use their masters (they can't go to the US since DVDs have to be in PAL format).

In terms of BD, going to the US becomes an option. This is what happened with Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood - they were paying Funimation for access to their BDs. By mastering the disks as multiregion, it meant that Manga didn't even have to pay Sony for the mastering license fees.

Unfortunately, it turns out that nerds are impatient, and when people noticed that the US FMA BDs were multiregion, they decided to order that version rather than wait the extra couple of months that the show was probably sat in the BBFC. When the show was eventually released here, they failed to even cover the minimum order quantities (500 copies?), hence pulled the future BDs. Since Funimation were no longer producing for the UK, they then pulled the Region B coding from their future disks, too.

I'm not 100% on what happened with the Haruhi movie. My understanding is that they literally had the movie release ready to go on BD (possibly co-authored with Madman, which is the part I'm unsure about). Unfortunately, I gather there was a problem with the master, in that it didn't work properly with some players (it may have specifically been the PS3, which remains their largest target platform for BD releases). Faced with having to pay to have the disk remaster from scratch and pay those Sony fees again, they cut their losses against what was going to end up being an unprofitable situation.

So, yeah, modern video formats really aren't friendly for releasing niche media with globally fragmented distribution. Obviously it's not anywhere near as bad I'd you're a big multinational movie distributor who can master their BDs once for a global release. I'm pretty sure the only reason we're getting Madoka on BD here is because Manga can just use the Aniplex US masters without having to repay the mastering fees (hence why the UK release is a three rather than two disk release).

Since someone mentioned One Piece, I gather the UK rights aren't even on the table at the moment. Dragonball Z took a long, long time to sort out (it's only now getting it's first ever UK home release, if you can believe it!), and Toei are waiting to see how that works out before committing to releasing their other big show.

and now it's the end of my lunch break, so I better stop typing. Apologies if any of this is garbled - I'm not in the habit of typing at-length on the iPad...

duckroll

He seems to write other stuff for other publishers as well, so I doubt he's in any hurry. After the first two books, it seems to have taken him 2-3 years to write each subsequent one. There was another short story published in the magazine carrying Koutenbu back in July, so he's still writing new stuff, just not enough to compile yet.

Aquarion EVOL 8

Been catching up on stuff from previous seasons. I still have no clue what's going on in this show but I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

The whole get naked cause it makes you fight better thing had me in stitches too

I wish funimation would hurry and put it on their site, I wanna rewatch it all already, Aquarion Evol was fun especially that aspect.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I dunno man, I found the drama to be hilariously hokey at times. Do you remember how the first episode opened with a journalist being "assassinated" for taking pictures of the wrong thing? lol
I'm still in because it looks like Amagami and it has/had a teacher arc... but even that doesn't seem to be long for the world. :(

It's an adaptation of a Eroge right?

Yeah but these FMP series were done prior to them hitting massive numbers with Haruhi, don't know if you could use it as an example. At least it has a chance unlike the series before it... L O L

Full Metal Panic <3

Go_Ly_Dow

Hyouka - Episode 20

Holy crap! That was GREAT! I loved the episode. It was totally non-standard for Hyouka, but the characters have developed to a point where a scenario like this is just so entertaining. It was funny, cute, and just totally enjoyable.
Suddenly, Samurai action! Suddenly, Juumonji as Saya-chan! Suddenly, Oreki's crazy shed destruction ideas! Suddenly, sexual tension! OMG!!!
I don't think I've laughed so hard at a Hyouka episode since the start of the Festival arc. Sogood.gif

My feelings about 20 seemed accurate going by all the glowing impressions.

I also have an inkling that episode 21 will match, or even exceed 20. I just know that KyoAni will do wonderful things with a valentines day scenario.

Mandoric

Banned
Now, Sentai Filmworks admitted that, for their sub-only releases, they're looking to sell around 2000-3000 copies, so in UK terms that's 200-300 copies, which means in BBFC terms alone you need to cover an extra £10 a copy in the best case, for something you'd ideally be looking to sell at retail for less than £30.

"Looking to" is optimistic, BTW; that's an ideal and not an average.

AACS and ROM Mark fee costs are, all together, around $1000-$1500 per title over DVD. It's not huge, it's not make-or-break for most purposes, but when you're barely selling triple digits, you do fall into a grey zone of too big to burn DVD-Rs and too small to cough up the fee.
Not sure why they're specifically pointing at Sony when they have the option to go with Philips too.

Go_Ly_Dow

Hyouka 20

About 90% of this episode is fantastic. Oreki / Chitanda are definitely the only reasons to watch the show. I really love post festival Hyouka. It's been the only actually good Hyouka.

Unfortunately the other 10% is Mayaka / Fukube. Good lord they are terrible, especially Mayaka.

She is even uglier and dumber in this episode than she usually is. Truly impressive.

Now now...

Although we share the same love for Oreki x Chitanda and would prefer 100% dedicated screen time just for them, we must remember that neither Mayaka, or Satoshi have cockblocked them even once.

I actually like them both, unlike those horrid "extras" from Ano Natsu.

New Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun PV: http://www.tk-anime.info/movie/index.html

Wtf? Battle shounen? Lol. Seems like the PV was specially made too, it has a full set of credits for the people responsible, including animators. Weird.

Well I liked the first thing they showed, really magical, and main character dude is cool.
tumblr_m9rxvbiT901qbxqfpo1_500.png

Though is the new trend for characters to have out of the ordinary pet companion first, Akira Agarkar Yamada with Tapioca, and now this dude and a chicken? Guess Ill watch this, for lots of the character cast, the girl was really boring in this though :/. Oh and english!

Go_Ly_Dow

While it's true that Hyouka isn't doing Key/Haruhi/K-On! numbers, it should be more than enough given that it's actually selling better than Fumoffu and that was followed up with TSR!

Hyouka most definitely has a higher budget then Fumoffu. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if KyoAni's business expenses have greatly increased since early/mid 00's.

Is anime now more expensive to produce and more time consuming because of high definition standards? (I have no idea about this myself).

If this is the case, then they have most likely increased their staffing levels to maintain their high standards at the same pace as before.

Anyway, I'm hopeful that sales will pick up around the festival arc. Would love a second season, even if it was just 11-12 episodes.

BluWacky

AACS and ROM Mark fee costs are, all together, around $1000-$1500 per title over DVD. It's not huge, it's not make-or-break for most purposes, but when you're barely selling triple digits, you do fall into a grey zone of too big to burn DVD-Rs and too small to cough up the fee.

It begs the question as to how one makes a profit at all in such situations, but I presume that the occasional success subsidises the remaining flops as with most creative industries.

Not sure why they're specifically pointing at Sony when they have the option to go with Philips too.

This may be naive of me, but would they have such an option with FMA when one part of the licensors is, essentially, Sony?

sonicmj1

Haibane Renmei 9

This was a pretty good episode. It clears up a lot of the questions from last week, makes the show's themes more explicit, and has some badass drifting.

ibrkJqIRCZqG7p.png

Animated in glorious 2D!

This show seems to be Rakka's story, but the enigma surrounding Reki's past is a lot more fascinating. She's got a ton of baggage that we only get small hints of, but she's also very maternal and caring. She's not the sort of character who shows up in anime very often. I get the feeling that the metaphorical dam is going to burst with her soon, and I'm looking forward to it.

The spirituality in Haibane Renmei is also a really interesting mix of Christian concepts and Japanese folk spirituality. It's an interesting thing to dwell on.

I dunno. It started out as a pretty boring show, but I get the feeling it's going to stick with me well after I finish it.

Defuser

Hyouka ep 20
As usual Kyoani is superb when it comes to Chitanda's service, dat nape. The 4 visual options make Oreki looks like a serial killer for some reason. Why do Mayaka always snap back at Oreki although he didn't say nor do anything? There's a limit in doing that.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

Why would anyone pay an AACS fee for a DVD printing?

Narag

Mindblowing, but may constitute Sailor Moon S spoilers

1. Look up Saturn's symbol
2. Look up the notation for the reduced Planck constant, aka Dirac constant
3. Hear Professor Tomoe laughing maniacally in the background

I never made the connection until just now.

That answers that lingering question.

Mandoric

Banned
It begs the question as to how one makes a profit at all in such situations, but I presume that the occasional success subsidises the remaining flops as with most creative industries.

This may be naive of me, but would they have such an option with FMA when one part of the licensors is, essentially, Sony?

Ahh, misread--I thought that was their excuse for BD in general (everything goes to one or another consortium except ROM Mark which has multiple independent licensors), not Aniplex wanting more money for FMA.

As for how to make money off it? Put quite simply, you don't. There is almost no feasible business model to service 200-300 unit sales, even before BBFC costs and even borrowing other masters. It's barely worth keeping an intern around dedicated to marketing your titles for individual import.
If the UK market was willing to pay Japanese prices, management had a 100% pick-winners-before-they-hit-big record, and you could piggyback off US masters for free, you could maybe break even in good years with an Animeigo-scale labor of love. But even then you'd see no major titles and be extremely vulnerable to parallel importation.

Why would anyone pay an AACS fee for a DVD printing?

Too big to burn BD-Rs, even.

duckroll

This arc should be crazy and perfect ...hopefully we'll get the minus arc afterwards

The sales for the first season of the Medaka Box anime were so long that to this day we have no idea how much they actually sold. Never ever charted. This was produced as a split-cour series to begin with, so I think Abnormal is going to be all anyone is going to get.

Mandoric

Banned
The sales for the first season of the Medaka Box anime were so long that to this day we have no idea how much they actually sold. Never ever charted. This was produced as a split-cour series to begin with, so I think Abnormal is going to be all anyone is going to get.

Nice Freudian slip.:lol

Mandoric

Banned
Long dongs ding dong.

Clearly I meant low! :(

September 3rd. Today is a national holiday, Labor Day. Even if you're a shutin, whether you have a job or not, you were given Labor Day to enjoy as an American.
I didn't come to this thread for any particular reason. I arrived here by just clicking randomly through my subscriptions, going wherever my mouse carried me. But, as the only one in a thread on a holiday, it felt like I was the only one in the world who had bought Medaka Box. Perhaps it's an exaggeration, but it felt as if perhaps the disc belonged to me alone. As if it would be perfectly all right to never share its contents.

of course I didn't actually buy it, are you kidding me? I'm just laughing my ass off imagining the sales numbers being hidden in long run-on writing like this and no one being able to find them.

Don't crush my hopes dammit !

I hope this season will be the reversal. P4 numbers here we go!!!!

Don't stop ....don't stop believing ... don't stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom