• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
>likes Utena (dubbed...)
>likes Angel's Egg
>fellow AIR fan

cajun, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Air actually has this arc in the middle where they flash back to samurai times or whatever that I almost unconditionally enjoyed, and sorta makes you wish it were the entire story because it is legitimately funny and is the rare dramatic arc in a KEY show that's understandably tragic without pushing over into manipulative tearjerking territory. This also appeared in The Movie (which was super TOEI and super GREAT) and was the focus of the Air in Summer specials.

Also, as much as I kind of love/hate Misuzuzuzuzuzu in all her dinosaurific retarded glory, her mother/daughter dynamic between her and her drunken aunt totally got me, right here, even as obvious as it was that they were pushing those buttons the whole way through. ;-;

I also enjoyed that samurai flashback arc, although at first it was quite confusing exactly what it had to do with the rest of the series. I loved that Gao Gao Stegosaurus shirt so much I bought one. Still have it somewhere.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Medaka is very :Chet and not a total idiot either.
Eh, I don't really agree. He could find better :chet shows. Medaka herself isn't really even attractive because she's like some other worldly being.

Nafe

lol. Well, the music is far & away the worst thing about RSF: Wings of Honneamise, & I am required to automatically hate everyone who helped bring Kanon 2002 into the world. It's not the worst OP in the world (although the character designs bring a lot of traumatic memories to the surface) but it's certainly nothing to jam to like the OP for best Key anime AIR.

Haha, okay I wondered if you were half joking because of what you said about Kanon but I wasn't sure if you really didn't like RSF's music or not. I've thought about it before but I haven't seen Air yet. The only KEY show I've seen so far is Angel Beats! Maybe Little Busters! will be the second, or not.

Origa sang Moon in the live Turn A Gundam concert. Gabriela Robin (which is indeed Kanno's pseudonym, as proved conclusively when she sang Moon herself at her Tanabata Sonic concert) sings Moon as featured in the first episode of Turn A.

The song is also used as the third ED with Japanese lyrics, Tsuki no Mayu (Lunar Cocoon), where it's sung by Aki Ouki.

I think I can clear this up. As you say, "Moon" is a song in ∀ GUNDAM which is performed by Gabriela Robin a.k.a Yoko Kanno in the series. Not that Kanno has ever come out and said that she's Robin but it's pretty clear that she is. Yoko Kanno composed the sound track for ∀GUNDAM and Origa actually performed the song "Moon" at a ∀GUNDAM concert, but not in the show - see here.

After that Yoko Kanno worked with Origa on the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex soundtrack.

Ah, okay, so that's the details behind it all. It was a little bit confusing so thanks to the both of you for helping to clear that up.

cajunator

Banned
It can't possibly be worse than Imouto Ga Iru or Estetica.
Can it?

No. Medaka box is mediocre, but IMO Hansode Shiranui is such a brilliant fun little troll that she holds it together somehow.

Haha, okay I wondered if you were half joking because of what you said about Kanon but I wasn't sure if you really didn't like RSF's music or not. I've thought about it before but I haven't seen Air yet. The only KEY show I've seen so far is Angel Beats! Maybe Little Busters! will be the second, or not.

Ah, okay, so that's the details behind it all. It was a little bit confusing so thanks to the both of you for helping to clear that up.

You should check out AIR. Its really short and the music is beautiful. The art is typical UGUUUUUUUU~ but its not awful. Its quite depressing though, but most Keyshit is.

Kazzy

Tari Tari 10

2SdrJ.jpg

Wien didn't disappoint, he's just so earnest and likeable a character, that I would be inclinced to argue with anyone who says otherwise. It was also nice to see one of the characters arcs progressing without being driven by the melodrama. Heroes gonna Hero.

That showdown scene with the mugger, amazing, it will be hard to top.

Kino's Journey END

This was definitely a unique episodic series that centers on the mysteries of how any country's people interact within their societal beliefs. Having the story of Kino's travels told out of chronological order helps keep the question of who Kino is and why Kino is traveling in the viewers mind throughout the series. There are sure to be hidden explanations to the plot I missed in my first viewing that I hope to find when I begin watching it subbed. This is surely an anime that should not be missed.

Pokemon B/W Rival Destinies 29

I imagine it has to be some show tradition that if Ash ever gets a fire starter, it has to have been treated terribly for one reason or another. Hell only Cyndaquil was spared from any sort of trauma.

But, yeah, a Tepig focused episode.
Nice to see it evolve but way too much time being an depressed abused ex-girlfriend and the fight was too short as well.

Narag

One Piece 11

BJrbvl.png

I've seen this a few times so far and I'm left wondering if it's a stylistic choice meant to evoke the feeling of an eyepatch given the setting as it usually doesn't make sense given the angle.

So much unnecessary recap. Maybe it works better week to week. This little Uzzzop arc needs to wrap up.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
One Piece 11

So much unnecessary recap. Maybe it works better week to week. This little Uzzzop arc needs to wrap up.

Dude this is a weekly shounen.

One Piece becomes unbearably awful at this, even as a neverending shounen, it eventually gets to the point at times where the first 7 to 8 minutes of the episode are the opening + recap. Does make it a hell of a lot easier to marathon through.

Narag

Dude this is a weekly shounen.

One Piece becomes unbearably awful at this, even as a neverending shounen, it eventually gets to the point at times where the first 7 to 8 minutes of the episode are the opening + recap. Does make it a hell of a lot easier to marathon through.

Disappointing but that's a nice silver lining.

That reminds me, yourself and a few others were talking about the song titled Moon from the anime ∀GUNDAM or Turn a Gundam and I see different places crediting the vocals being done by Origa who sings the ending theme for Fantastic Children.

Origa?! Well, that settles it. I'll be starting Fantastic Children later tonight.

That was unexpected. *interest raised*

One thing I forgot to mention about the Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun PV earlier is that it's a rather good sign for the show in the sense that, if the staff are willing to take the time to animate (well!) a creative original scenario that presumably will not appear in the actual show, it shows that they enjoy what they're working on and won't be intending to just churn out the bare minimum necessary for an adaptation.

One Piece 11

When I watch it on Hulu, I always skip to the first commercial break as everything before that is guaranteed to be a recap.

I'm hoping that Toei will do similar specials to Episode of Nami for other arcs in the series, so that I don't have to bother with sitting through the show's pacing.

cajunator

Banned
Kino's Journey END

This was definitely a unique episodic series that centers on the mysteries of how any country's people interact within their societal beliefs. Having the story of Kino's travels told out of chronological order helps keep the question of who Kino is and why Kino is traveling in the viewers mind throughout the series. There are sure to be hidden explanations to the plot I missed in my first viewing that I hope to find when I begin watching it subbed. This is surely an anime that should not be missed.

Glad you enjoyed it. I knew you would. It was such a unique experience to watch Kinos Journey. By the way, what did you think about
the final episode, where halfway through you wondered how this could be an ending episode, and then THAT happens? Then it cycles around to show why Kino travels in the first place. I thought it was one of the most brilliant endings to anime I have ever seen, especially since its not actually en ending, but sort of the beginning.

Medaka Box 1

Not bad, not great, I'd say it was pretty ok, so far. The characters are about what I thought they would be, and the animation is quite a bit better than what I have been watching lately.
So apparently there's a genre shift later on? That sucks.

Hansode is queen and others should bow down. Or face the consequences.

I'm hoping that Toei will do similar specials to Episode of Nami for other arcs in the series, so that I don't have to bother with sitting through the show's pacing.

So theyve done Arlong Park and did they do another arc condensed into a movie?

I guessed I wanna see Marineford done like these even though I thought it was perfect in the weekly anime, even with the five or so minutes dedicated to flying through the battlefield at the start of the episodes.

K - english trailer

Well that was explosive, cool, hyped.

Dat dubstep.

One Piece 11

Sorry to say that you might be disappointed by the arc's length. You still got nearly 10 episodes to go. It does get better though.

So theyve done Arlong Park and did they do another arc condensed into a movie?

I guessed I wanna see Marineford done like these even though I thought it was perfect in the weekly anime, even with the five or so minutes dedicated to flying through the battlefield at the start of the episodes.

They've done Alabasta and Drum Island. The former is apparently pretty bad and cuts out some of the best moments while the latter is pretty good, but is really more a retelling than an actual remake because later crew members are in it as well as a new villain.

Kingdom 14
tumblr_m9sqfd64P71qbxqfpo1_500.png

Xin with the epic sword skill ftw.
No more Jie shi, thank goodness, he was awful character and just terrible to everyone. I wonder if he made Cheng Jiao turn on the bad path, hopefully he can somehow turn to good now that all bad influences on him have been defeated.

Mindblow that Diao
is a girl, what even? Well Im guessing since that the only reason Bi would comment like that upon opening the chain mail armor

Glad you enjoyed it. I knew you would. It was such a unique experience to watch Kinos Journey. By the way, what did you think about
the final episode, where halfway through you wondered how this could be an ending episode, and then THAT happens? Then it cycles around to show why Kino travels in the first place. I thought it was one of the most brilliant endings to anime I have ever seen, especially since its not actually en ending, but sort of the beginning.

THAT was sure something I was not expecting.
Even though I understand why the townspeople did not want Kino to stay after the allotted three days, I do not understand why the children were not told and had to be sacrificed. I assume though that some of the children, like Sakura, may have known some disaster was going to occur.
As for the ending after THAT, I found it suitable seeing as the original light novels have so much more to offer.

I now have two episodes of Haibane Renmei down and it looks even better on my HDTV than streaming online through FUNi. After this I will probably go back and watch the subs of these two series.

cajunator

Banned
THAT was sure something I was not expecting.
Even though I understand why the townspeople did not want Kino to stay after the allotted three days, I do not understand why the children were not told and had to be sacrificed. I assume though that some of the children, like Sakura, may have known some disaster was going to occur.
As for the ending after THAT, I found it suitable seeing as the original light novels have so much more to offer.

I now have two episodes of Haibane Renmei down and it looks even better on my HDTV than streaming online through FUNi. After this I will probably go back and watch the subs of these two series.

Watching two of my favorite anime series back to back...
So lucky.

Watching two of my favorite anime series back to back...
So lucky.

You could always do the same. I already know what is going to happen in Haibane Renmei, but Kino's Journey was brand new after the first two episodes. I know I am still picking up new understandings to hidden meanings after watching certain series more than once or twice or even more.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
For all of you Asuna haters, this should appease you.

Yeah. They added a new romance and then changed up one specific aspect of the game.

Yellow Comic Sans and with terrible spelling. Are you trying to blind me by forcing my brain to turn off all retina functions in order for me to never see something like that ever again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom