• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

Haibane Renmei 9

RUS6W.png

"I told you to repair those handles, man!"

Lassie came and saved Rakka
from the well.
Jokes aside, it's nice to get insight on the meaning of the bird from the first episode. The symbolism for it works, though it raises the question why
a crow instead of another bird
? I'm guessing it's tied with Japanese mythology that holds a different view or meaning than the Western variety that I'm accustomed to (one of largely negative connotation).

Reki, as the common happening would predict, is concerned about Rakka to a high degree. She watches over her and when Rakka raises it, she only titles herself as a "meddler." With the views shared about herself in the episode where she
brought up being a sinner,
I'm not surprised. Nonetheless, she's "cool" in my book. Additionally, she speaks on
being quite the loner herself due to her association as a "fallen" Haibane.

The episode's curtains shut on that note and I'm wondering where it goes with it. I wouldn't mind seeing more on Reki and the supernatural elements surrounding Haibane and the Renmei. However, in regards to this particular show, I'm aware that the direction can't be guaranteed.

PiBwJ.jpg

I'm posting Karasu in at least one of these impressions since I'm left
with so much crow talk up in here!

cajunator

Banned
You could always do the same. I already know what is going to happen in Haibane Renmei, but Kino's Journey was brand new after the first two episodes. I know I am still picking up new understandings to hidden meanings after watching certain series more than once or twice or even more.

I meant for the first time, but yeah I will definitely watch them again soon. Its been a while, since I have been catching up to more recent shows.
If any two series are worth owning and watching over and over, its these two.
I'm not sure exactly why these two particularly stood out to me, considering they aren't the cutest, most well drawn, or even have the best music or character designs, but they have something special about them, more than the sum of their parts. A soul maybe. I'm gonna go ahead and say Haibane Renmei and Kinos journey are animes with a soul.

I'm not sure exactly why these two particularly stood out to me, considering they aren't the cutest, most well drawn, or even have the best music or character designs, but they have something special about them, more than the sum of their parts. A soul maybe. I'm gonna go ahead and say Haibane Renmei and Kinos journey are animes with a soul.

I was drawn to the two series due to my college studies in sociology. Both Kino's Journey and Haibane Renmei have deep ties with societal norms and beliefs. Everything is up to interpretation and many questions are left for the viewers to ponder. Most of the anime in my small collection have some sort of sociology connection.

cajunator

Banned
I was drawn to the two series due to my college studies in sociology. Both Kino's Journey and Haibane Renmei have deep ties with societal norms and beliefs. Everything is up to interpretation and many questions are left for the viewers to ponder. Most of the anime in my small collection have some sort of sociology connection.

I suppose that could be part of it. I don't always like my anime spoonfed to me. I like to think about it a bit, chew it over, even if I'm not known for reacting that way on this board. Trust me I do enjoy a good thought provoking animu on occasion. For all the enjoyment I get out of junkfood anime and Cute, I can just as easily enjoy a show that is just as much about social commentary as it is entertainment.

I never liked that figure line either. While they are cute figurines, they are really plain. what sets characters apart to me is the outfit designs more than anything, so it seems kind of pointless to have a beach queen figure unless you want to collect multiple figures of a specific character (or just want hot glue material).

Definitely in agreement with you on that. I'll probably just wait to see what somebody else (preferably Alter and/or Good Smile) does myself.

Didn't realize until I seached on AmiAmi there was a Vox Aura Robot Damashii figure released so I might pick that up. Pretty cool mech design IMO.

cajunator

Banned
Vox aura is probably one of my favorite recent mecha designs. not that there are that many to choose from :(
Still its a pretty rad mech design in itself and really fun to look at.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well, I see the similarities between
the look of the symbols
but I'm thinking you're probably referring to a deeper meaning that I'm not seeing.
It's the link between Saturn symbolism and science. If Sailor Moon S was going to be about Saturn, it was going to involve labs and higher learning. Naoko Takeuchi just applied the link that was already present, much like how she applied existing symbolism to other characters.

Scamp has his season preview out: http://thecartdriver.com/fall-2012-anime-season-preview/

He's snarky and Irish but a pretty decent writer.

Magi is a shounen fantasy manga that has been hyped up by manga readers. Thing is, it’s become a bit of a boy who cries wolf with highly regarded upcoming shounen manga titles, since every single one gets hyped from the manga reading crowd regardless of quality, from Blue Exorcist to Fairy Tail to Toriko to Bakuman to Kuroko Plays With His Balls. If you’re the kind of person who was genuinely disappointed when they announced the Bleach anime was ending, you might as well stop reading now because will enjoy Magi.

That like describes me, I didnt think the series was actually Bleach level, but if it is, well maybe it will finally fill that void that Ive had for these past 22 weeks

cajunator

Banned
Scamp has his season preview out: http://thecartdriver.com/fall-2012-anime-season-preview/

He's snarky and Irish but a pretty decent writer.

Thanks for this! It was a good read (yes I read it all) and has all the PVs in one convenient spot since I'm lazy and hate opening multiple tabs.

YuruYuri♪♪ 10

iql49UkN0jugM.gif

ehh, i've seen better slaps in my time

Indeed, this was poorly done. joshiraku shows us the way to do it.

Up to 14 hours a day? Baby power level.

I know. that implies that she sleeps and eats.
She has a long way to go.

Nafe

Fantastic Children Episode 3

This was still another alright episode but I'm not sure if I really have anything interesting to talk about though, or to at least make it seem interesting anyway. I think it would mostly just be me summarizing what happened which I don't really feel is something I want to do.

This episode did have Chitto directly referring to the girl by the name of
Helga
though which I suspected it was since after watching the first episode. There were a couple more mysteries added but mostly this episode seemed to be more about trying to expand upon those that had already been introduced in the previous two episodes.

Actually the one scene where the detective was interviewing the mother and daughter the screen shifted to an approaching storm as if to show an ominous atmosphere and it had the old thunder and lightning happening at the same time. This has been an old, almost now traditional it seems, audiovisual technique to bring some tension or ominous moods into a scene or to setup a surprise reveal. This actually got me wondering, all the many times I've seen this technique used it has always been in this manner and I wondered if there existed any examples where a director didn't use it in this manner but the more realistic lightning followed sometime later by thunder for a different effect. Examples probably exist but I couldn't think of any personally.

Origa?! Well, that settles it. I'll be starting Fantastic Children later tonight.

duckroll and Jexhius would be happy if you did. It's a very nice song too.

It's the link between Saturn symbolism and science. If Sailor Moon S was going to be about Saturn, it was going to involve labs and higher learning. Naoko Takeuchi just applied the link that was already present, much like how she applied existing symbolism to other characters.

Ah, wow, I see what you mean now. I never thought of that before now either, that's pretty interesting. I think the only thing I picked up initially
when seeing her was the astronomical symbol for Saturn is supposed to be Saturn's sickle,being a God of Agriculture, and Sailor Saturn has a scythe for a weapon. I think Saturn and Pluto are the only ones whose weapon corresponds to their symbol.

For the new Sailor Moon next year I hope
Sailor Saturn shows up a lot more, she got ripped off. :(
In her senshi form she only shows up for about six or eight episodes and isn't in any of the movies or specials either. I personally wanted to see a lot more of her.

Fantastic Children 1

This is certainly an intriguing start. It presents a lot of mysteries right off the bat, most fundamentally "Who are these children, what is their nature, and what, if anything, is their goal?" I suppose the other major one is "What is the significance of these paintings?" I don't have any coherent speculation at the moment, but I am interested in seeing where things lead.

The historical and global setting is unique in anime. I found it a bit unfortunate that it left the 19th century so quickly for, well, what would have been the near-future of 2012 when the show was produced, but the colorfulness of the tropical setting as compared to the drab urban streets made up for that.

Thoma is a fun, energetic personality and should be a good viewpoint character as these mysteries get explored. He provides a necessary foil to the dourness of the titular children.

I can't say I'm a big fan of the character designs, but they don't bother me much either.

duckroll and Jexhius would be happy if you did. It's a very nice song too.

It certainly is. Origa has a great voice.

cajunator

Banned
Sword Art Online 06

This episode hit WAY too close to home.
It was the conclusion of the two episode "mystery" arc about who was
PK'ing members of a guild in the town Kirito was staying in
. Kirito later finds out that
the players didnt actually die, they faked their deaths to draw out the PK'ers and figure out who was behind the attacks.
. what got to me was the fact that
Grimlock killed his ingame wife because he was possessive of her, because she changed in the game to be different from how she was IRL as his wife.
This is way too similiar to what happened to my aunt for a very similar fucked up reason. so I guess this affected me more than it might affect most.
Sorry if Im being a downer I just didnt expect it to turn out like that. now Im kind of depressed.

Sword Art Online 06

This episode hit WAY too close to home.
It was the conclusion of the two episode "mystery" arc about who was
PK'ing members of a guild in the town Kirito was staying in
. Kirito later finds out that
the players didnt actually die, they faked their deaths to draw out the PK'ers and figure out who was behind the attacks.
. what got to me was the fact that
Grimlock killed his ingame wife because he was possessive of her, because she changed in the game to be different from how she was IRL as his wife.
This is way too similiar to what happened to my aunt for a very similar fucked up reason. so I guess this affected me more than it might affect most.
Sorry if Im being a downer I just didnt expect it to turn out like that. now Im kind of depressed.
:( Someone get this man a dose of :cajun, stat.

Medaka Box 3
RtCSh.jpg

I love you too.
Either this school is absolutely huge, or not a whole lot of people voted during the student council election, as for getting 98% of the vote, there sure are a lot of people that think she's crazy. Of course, she is crazy, but that's besides the point.
It's weird hearing Aki Toyosaki actually doing a voice that's not like Yui's from K-ON!. It took me a while to figure out that was her voicing Medaka. The singing voice in the ED is what tipped me off.
kogc0.png

Could she look any more like a cat?

Instro

Space Bros 22

I really enjoyed this episode, quite touching really. The art was kicked up a notch, some nice backgrounds included, that shot of the cityscape was sweet. The final scenes with the brothers silently celebrating and Mutta walking off into the city were brilliant too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom