• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
:( Someone get this man a dose of :cajun, stat.

Fgpx4.gif

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Medaka Box 3

Either this school is absolutely huge, or not a whole lot of people voted during the student council election, as for getting 98% of the vote, there sure are a lot of people that think she's crazy. Of course, she is crazy, but that's besides the point.
It's weird hearing Aki Toyosaki actually doing a voice that's not like Yui's from K-ON!. It took me a while to figure out that was her voicing Medaka. The singing voice in the ED is what tipped me off.

Hakoniwa Academy is indeed abnormally huge.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Sword Art Online 06

This episode hit WAY too close to home.
It was the conclusion of the two episode "mystery" arc about who was
PK'ing members of a guild in the town Kirito was staying in
. Kirito later finds out that
the players didnt actually die, they faked their deaths to draw out the PK'ers and figure out who was behind the attacks.
. what got to me was the fact that
Grimlock killed his ingame wife because he was possessive of her, because she changed in the game to be different from how she was IRL as his wife.
This is way too similiar to what happened to my aunt for a very similar fucked up reason. so I guess this affected me more than it might affect most.
Sorry if Im being a downer I just didnt expect it to turn out like that. now Im kind of depressed.

You should read the LN version. It's a much better SS.

Narag

Kai Doh Maru

Stealing MAL's synopsis due to laziness,
This story takes place during the Heian Period of Japan`s history, when evil spirits still resided in the forests, mountains and rivers. A girl, accompanied by her loved one, battles against these evil spirits, while she is disguised as man. This brave woman, aka "Kaidomaru", with a Chinese character "Flame" tatooed on her upper arm, was one of the "Four Devas". Kaidomaru fights for the honor of her lost love, Raikou Minamotono, who had sacrified his life in order to protect the capital Kyoto, from the evils deeds of a "princess" cursed by a malicious ogre. The princess, whom Kaidomaru used to play with as a child, has now become her ultimate enemy.

Normally I eat up the historical anime but this was a hard watch for me as things seemed to just happen and character appeared for no apparent reason. Consequently, I developed no real attachment to any of them and when the story progressed, I was rather ambivalent about it all. When I looked into it further, I learned it was an adaptation of Japanese folklore according to Kai Doh Maru's wiki entry. I'm sure familiarity with such might have helped (as well as being able to pay closer attention to it all.) I'm hesitant to call the story either good or bad in the end as the faults I found might lie with me due to inattention and fatigue rather than the presentation itself.

But enough about that, let's address the visuals as that's arguably the most unique quality to Kai Doh Maru. They are simultaneously the strongest and weakest part of the OVA as some scenes are wonderfully stylized and great to watch while others have strange shots, questionable CG, and bizarre color choices which contribute to an overall visual inconsistency that I couldn't get past. Stuff past the OP generally has a watercolor or pastel palette that results in the a very soft feel that sometimes weakened the presented animation. I'd say some of the choices were too artistic for my tastes and others just overambitious.

kfB6Bl.png
Tojlml.png

The introduction has this lovely "sketch" quality to it. I think it might have been overdone just a bit with the extraneous lines on characters but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

BLMEQl.png
yZHh7l.png
6XNIrl.png

Thanks to Firehawk, CG like this is registered in my head as a "wonzo special." Some of the composition involving 2D characters and the CG backgrounds felt strange as if the backgrounds were too "perfect" and sterile.

c32p5l.png

A brief shot I enjoyed as it was like watching an animated watercolor painting.

61LeTl.png

A strange color choice I didn't agree with due to either a blue or brown palette.

9ldybl.png

This bothered me too as the shot lingered on this CG road to nowhere longer than I cared for. For better or for worse, I was left contemplating limited draw distance in a video game.

cajunator

Banned
you've never blow dried your hair while shitting?

And i thought you were an adult all this time!

Cant say that I have.
Also, Cute is cute.
Remember I found a picture of a girl puking on a cat and found it adorable. Your efforts to ruin cute do not affect me. I am impervious :3

Articalys

http://moca-news.net/article/20120904/201209040600a/01/

Sunrise's upcoming Nerawareta Gakuen movie is dated and cast! It will open in Japan on Nov 10, and the lead roles will be played by Mayu Watanabe from AKB48, and Yuutaro Motoshiro (E7AO's Ao)! Mayuyu is also performing the theme song solo! Omg!!!
A complimentary English news article with a reminder of the film's plot.
Also, I wonder if this and AKB0048 could be the start of a seiyuu career for Watanabe.

Branduil

They even explain it in the episode.

Chitanda is rich as shit. Rich people can afford to pay for broken property. Chitanda couldn't afford other rich people thinking she was in love with a mere peasant
(and doing inappropriate things in a shed)
. It's actually really cruel when you think about it but Oreki doesn't seem to mind all that much which honestly bothered me while watching the episode.

I imagine her parents would be unhappy even if he wasn't a peasant, but that can't have helped.

No, they do explain it, but that doesn't mean attacking someone else's property is acceptable!

In general it was just a glib comment but I'm factually far more bothered by the point you made, which occurred to me as well. Not that it really matters because Oreki is completely under Chitanda's control.

No one ever said love was easy.

Her parents will probably just make him solve some mystery that has plagued the family for generations before they'll accept him.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ah, wow, I see what you mean now. I never thought of that before now either, that's pretty interesting. I think the only thing I picked up initially
when seeing her was the astronomical symbol for Saturn is supposed to be Saturn's sickle,being a God of Agriculture, and Sailor Saturn has a scythe for a weapon. I think Saturn and Pluto are the only ones whose weapon corresponds to their symbol.

For the new Sailor Moon next year I hope
Sailor Saturn shows up a lot more, she got ripped off. :(
In her senshi form she only shows up for about six or eight episodes and isn't in any of the movies or specials either. I personally wanted to see a lot more of her.
CONNECTIONS

I don't have the ability to type Japanese at the moment so this won't be as clear as it could be.

Original Latin weekday naming > English/Norse weekday > Japanese weekday > Japanese astronomical name > Element represented in name > SM character

Luna (Moon) > Monday > Getsuyoubi > Tsuki > Tsuki (Moon) > Tsukino Usagi
Mars > Tuesday (Tiu) > Kayoubi > Kasei > Hi (Fire) > Hino Rei
Mercury > Wednesday (Woden/Odin) > Suiyoubi > Suisei > Mizu (Water) > Mizuno Ami
Jupiter > Thursday (Thor) > Mokuyoubi > Mokusei > Ki (Tree) > Kino Makoto
Venus > Friday (Frei) > Kinyoubi > Kinsei > Kin (Gold/Metal) > Aino Minako (Exception. Ai = Love)
Saturn > Saturday (lol) > Doyoubi > Dosei > Tsuchi (Earth/Soil -> Grave/Death) >
Tomoe Hotaru (Alternate reading in compound)

Also...
Earth > Chikyuu > Chiba Mamoru
Uranus > Ten'ousei (Heaven King Planet) > Ten'ou Haruka
Neptune > Kaiousei (Sea King Planet) > Kaiou Michiru
Pluto > Meiousei (Dark King Planet) > Meiou Setsuna (Death symbolism is taken in the fate or measured time sense here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom