• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

I don't see how being hard creates invisible forces that bend the steel behind him.

That's not even the most impressive feat that Kenshiro's bod can accomplish. A whole skyscraper falls on him at one point and he just strolls on through.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That's crazy.
Another fun naming scheme is in Maison Ikkoku, where all of the principal characters are named after their corresponding room number, although for some they don't live in it or the room doesn't physically exist.

0 OtoNASHI
1 ICHInose
2 Some manga only character
3 MItaka
4 YOTSUya
5 GOdai
6 ROppongi
7 Forget, I think Kozue's family name goes here
8 YAgami
9 KUjo

madp

The Light of El Cantare
a shame he forgot about the coffee

evacoffee2.jpg

There's something incredibly appropriate about Mari pitching a product whose only relation to Evangelion is soulless superficial marketing.

Gintama 100

Yeah, I agree. That series is trash.

So a meta analysis of the show and JUMP series as a whole. Poking fun at itself so much that it has more needles than a pincushion.

Happy 3rd year of Gintama! Great new OP and ED as well. The ED is extremely cute for having everyone as kids as well.

Jex

Fantastic Children 1

This is certainly an intriguing start. It presents a lot of mysteries right off the bat, most fundamentally "Who are these children, what is their nature, and what, if anything, is their goal?" I suppose the other major one is "What is the significance of these paintings?" I don't have any coherent speculation at the moment, but I am interested in seeing where things lead.

Yes...another one joins the cause.

sleepykyo

That's not even the most impressive feat that Kenshiro's bod can accomplish. A whole skyscraper falls on him at one point and he just strolls on through.

I tried to watch the FotNS movie with Malcom McDowell. Tried, being the operative word given that I quit half way through. Fist of the North Star Combat just looks really goofy. And this is coming from someone who is used to watching Chinese tv series where every punch draws a cloud of smoke.

Narag

I tried to watch the FotNS movie with Malcom McDowell. Tried, being the operative word given that I quit half way through. Fist of the North Star Combat just looks really goofy. And this is coming from someone who is used to watching Chinese tv series where every punch draws a cloud of smoke.

I remember being all hyped for that when it was in Fangoria back in the day. I think the same issue covered the live action Crying Freeman!

Branduil

Come on guys, stop making fun of Anaru. She's just your average popular high school beauty who secretly loves nerdy things like Pokemon, manga, and shut-in losers.

fertygo

Nothing wrong with High School Girl like pokemon and manga though, only anime that considered gross in japan between those.

Jex

There's something incredibly appropriate about Mari pitching a product whose only relation to Evangelion is soulless superficial marketing.
she really is the perfect mascot for rebuild
While it's tempting and inherently satisfying to draw such an inference it is worth remembering that Evangelion has been merchandised to hell and back, mainly via it's female characters, since it came out. This round off stuff that ties into Rebuild is no different.

fertygo

While it's tempting and inherently satisfying to draw such an inference it is worth remembering that Evangelion has been merchandised to hell and back, mainly via it's female characters, since it came out. This round off stuff that ties into Rebuild is no different.

Rei and Asuka was in Playboy at 90's lol.

Pachael

Another fun naming scheme is in Maison Ikkoku, where all of the principal characters are named after their corresponding room number, although for some they don't live in it or the room doesn't physically exist.

0 OtoNASHI
1 ICHInose
2 Some manga only character
3 MItaka
4 YOTSUya
5 GOdai
6 ROppongi
7 Forget, I think Kozue's family name goes here
8 YAgami
9 KUjo

You're right on both counts, though I needed to double check for Kozue as I only remembered her family name started with NA.

2 NIkaido
7 NAnao

Narag

Manyuu Hikenchou 11

Chifusa's mother's story was harsh. I don't mind Kagefusa softening as a character as it seems apt but Ouka going from stoic warrior to boycrazy is a little much. Her face looked weird and off quite a bit too.

im4L6l.jpg

Introducing the ruined village with imagery evocative of a cemetery was kinda neat.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Manyuu Hikenchou 11

Chifusa's mother's story was harsh. I don't mind Kagefusa softening as a character as it seems apt but Ouka going from stoic warrior to boycrazy is a little much. Her face looked weird and off quite a bit too.
Isn't this the show about boobs getting cut off?

cajunator

Banned
Sword art Online 07

OH. MY. GOD. LIZ. IS. SO. FUCKING. ADORABLE!
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEEEEEESSSSSTTTTTTTTTT

duckroll

http://kokoro-connect.com/news/

It seems the Kokoro Connect drama might finally be coming to a sort of an end. They posted a second apology on the official site, and basically laid out all their marketing and promotional plans for this entire "joke".

At this point I don't know if anyone would really buy anything anyone involved says, since they don't believe Ichiki's blog post yesterday that he wasn't being bullied either. But anyway, here's the official explanation:

- It was meant to be one big long stupid promotional gag, where Ichiki is first "owned" by the fake candid camera audition thing when they had the early screening event for ep1. They then introduce him as the publicity face of the show.

- After this he continues promoting the show in various social media ways, all the while being pitiful and sad that he didn't actually get a role. This was all part of the gag where his "role" is basically to be the guy who failed to get in the show.

- After the TV broadcast of the show ends, they are planning some event on Sept 30th where they will reveal how they plan on releasing the remaining episodes of the show (ep14-17 I think), and they will also formally announce that Ichiki will be joining the cast from ep14 onwards. Happy ending for everyone.

Unfortunately this entire thing went out of hand, and the misunderstanding created a lot of tension for all the people involved, etc, and they apologize to everyone for the trauma and bad feelings that came out of this poorly planned "gag". They also apologize for the over acting involved in the variety segment where Ichiki was being "electrocuted" as part of his punishment game. They're very sorry that everyone got the wrong idea, etc.

Take that as you may.

Narag

Manyuu Hikenchou 12 FIN

So that's that. Something of an anticlimactic open-ended ending but that's fine. This was more about the journey and not the destination. I kinda liked it in the end as it reeled in the early levels of stupid to something much more manageable and played it a little more straight while retaining some parody elements.

OIry2l.jpg

zau4yl.jpg

This was amusnig. The first is from episode 11, the second from episode 12. I guess they fixed it for the bluray but forgot to fix it in the last episode too? :lol

madp

The Light of El Cantare

There's no denying that, among anime franchises, Evangelion is likely far and away the most shameful in terms of lazily slapping images of its characters on otherwise completely unrelated products as a shallow and cynical marketing tactic, but it wasn't until the advent of Mari that there was a character whose entire purpose was to be another face to slap on products!

After sixteen years of extremely aggressive pimping, otaku may no longer value Rei and Asuka for anything other than the most superficial reasons, but the marketing machine can never undo the fact that they weren't simply hollow commercial objects in the original program. We all know that the same can't be said for the new character in the curious fanfic retelling that some rascally scamps have released installments of in Japanese theaters as if it was an official theatrical version or something.

cajunator

Banned
There's no denying that, among anime franchises, Evangelion is likely far and away the most shameful in terms of lazily slapping images of its characters on otherwise completely unrelated products as a shallow and cynical marketing tactic, but it wasn't until the advent of Mari that there was a character whose entire purpose was to be another face to slap on products!

After sixteen years of extremely aggressive pimping, otaku may no longer value Rei and Asuka for anything other than the most superficial reasons, but the marketing machine can never undo the fact that they weren't simply hollow commercial objects in the original program. We all know that the same can't be said for the new character in the curious fanfic retelling that some rascally scamps have released installments of in Japanese theaters as if it was an official theatrical version or something.

Nice Yayoi avatar! More Yayoi is always good.
Evangelion is the most popular anime series for exactly the reason that it is the most heavily marketed. Just about everybody in the anime fandom knows that it exists. The marketing is so diverse and widespread that it can be found absolutely everywhere. Its probably one of the best marketing jobs in the entire industry.

Isn't this the show about boobs getting cut off?
Don't forget the boob stealing and boob growing.
Manyuu Hikenchou 12 FIN

So that's that. Something of an anticlimactic open-ended ending but that's fine. This was more about the journey and not the destination. I kinda liked it in the end as it reeled in the early levels of stupid to something much more manageable and played it a little more straight while retaining some parody elements.

The manga is much more serious than the anime is. The anime is much more fan-service-y too, if one could believe that.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Mari is actually a better character than the Rebuild Asuka, though.
Who should have stayed dead.

Eyepatch Asuka
is going to be the single worst thing to come out of the franchise.

Nice Yayoi avatar! More Yayoi is always good.
Evangelion is the most popular anime series for exactly the reason that it is the most heavily marketed. Just about everybody in the anime fandom knows that it exists. The marketing is so diverse and widespread that it can be found absolutely everywhere. Its probably one of the best marketing jobs in the entire industry.

I've resisted a Yayoi avatar for 31 weeks but the latest episode did me in. She went beast mode with avatar-able expressions in the most recent episode, so I'll rock this for a few days and then switch back to something less uguu.

I'm actually curious as to how much the constant marketing onslaught for Evangelion has contributed to its enduring popularity with otaku. With the decline of the mecha genre, surely a large percentage of fans discovering it for the first time must have become interested in the series through prior exposure to Rei and Asuka as generic objects of moe. I suppose that the advertising is doing its job, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom