• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Nope.

Sidetail is best hair.

But sidetail can fall under the umbrella that in shoulder length.
S48KA.jpg

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I figure this is a decent place to ask: Is the Crunchyroll PS3 app out and does it function as one would expect?

wonzo

Banned
http://kokoro-connect.com/news/
- After the TV broadcast of the show ends, they are planning some event on Sept 30th where they will reveal how they plan on releasing the remaining episodes of the show (ep14-17 I think), and they will also formally announce that Ichiki will be joining the cast from ep14 onwards. Happy ending for everyone.

They wont get the normal tv airing or whatever? Hope Crunchyroll still shows them?

Gyrozetter news!

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/gyrozetter/
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201209/04020628.html

Starts airing on TV Tokyo on Oct 2 at 6pm. It will repeat every Sunday at 10:30am. This definitely sounds like a long running series. The demographic and air time is not something they will do for a normal 2-cour show.

New key visual:

Finally Gyrozetter, actually looks cool the main character.
But I guess it wont never get a home release here :/

Weekly Rankings for August 27 - September 2:

Blu-ray
*2, 7,035 *7,035 Hyouka vol.3 Limited Edition
*3, 6,940 *6,940 Accel World vol.2 Limited Edition
*6, 4,416 *4,416 Aquarion Evol vol.5
*7, 3,851 50,155 Nisemonogatari vol.5 Limited Edition
10, 2,308 27,830 Persona 4 The Animation vol.10 Limited Edition
13, 1,858 *8,940 Kuroko no Basket vol.2

DVD
*3, 2,646 *,*10,882 Kuroko no Basket vol.2
*6, 1,652 *,**1,652 Accel World vol.2 Limited Edition
*9, 1,318 *,**1,318 Aquarion Evol vol.5
12, 1,182 *,*10,419 Persona 4 The Animation vol.10 Limited Edition
13, 1,112 *,**1,112 Hyouka vol.3 Limited Edition
16, *,979 *,**8,030 Nisemonogatari vol.5 Limited Edition

Single CD
*9, 16,625 16,625 Kuroko no Basket Character Song Duet Series vol.2 Tetsuya & Ryota
12, 13,282 13,282 Kuroko no Basket Character Song Duet Series vol.1 Tetsuya & Taiga

58K means its basically doing better than all my animes, :/ guess I need to see if that series is worth the hype.

The rest has to indubitoubly mean that they will pursue an Accel World s2.'

And I need the duets.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
"being the town bicycle" is an actual phrase?
Oh lord.

It doesn't sound good.

People don't know this phrase? Everyone's had a ride on the town bicycle?

Come on guys, stop making fun of Anaru. She's just your average popular high school beauty who secretly loves nerdy things like Pokemon, manga, and shut-in losers.

Don't they all? I mean, duh, I didn't get into this gig for the artwork quality or animation or stories or hnnnnng! I'm here for the babes! ;P

BluWacky

The Ghibli comparison is not only unnecessary but insulting to Hosoda's abilities and individual style.

In long - Ghibli is a super-easy reference point in that their work is about as mainstream as anime gets, and it's undoubtedly what many people who aren't massively versed in anime would think when they hear about the film (rolling hills, fantastical things happening to ordinary people in Japan etc.). It's therefore the easiest way to write an article about the film - compare it to something the target audience is familiar with.

In short - LOL KOTAKU as if they have a clue who Mamoru Hosoda is it's a lazy article.

Unfortunately, while they're not going so far as to cover stuff like Niji-iro Hotaru or whatever, they also seem to be a prime resource for English language coverage of anime films. I was very surprised they covered The Last Dark a month or so ago, and now Wolf Children as well!

Jintor

Ghibli movies are far more about 'having an adventure'. In many ways, I think Wolf Children is better than a couple of the Ghibli stable. But it's so very different I think the comparison is not that tenable.

Speaking of Wolf Children, week 7 numbers are in: http://www.cinematoday.jp/page/N0045693

Total gross to date: 3,768,240,750yen
Total tickets sold to date: 3,089,297

The weekend (Saturday + Sunday) takings for Wolf Children on the 7th weekend were 102.3% of the previous weekend's takings. Dat word of mouth...

When I went opening weekend it was paired up against a Pokemon film if I remember correctly.
The theater was packed, much to my surprise. Film has got legs.

And yeah, my biggest issue with the review outside of the pointless Ghibli association was that he seemed to have missed the point of the film entirely.
That just makes me sad. =(

duckroll

Other recent successful anime movies that Wolf Children will probably surpass in the coming weeks:

Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0 - 4 billion yen (2009)
Up the Poopy Hill - 4.46 billion yen (2011)
One Piece Strong World - 4.8 billion yen (2010)

duckroll

Goro can't even beat his own Ghibli peers. Earthsea made 7.65 billion yen, which is a lot for such a shitty film, but a totally non-Miyazaki related project like Arrietty still pulled in 9.25 billion yen. Goro Miyazaki should just quit.

Dying.

I wonder what sort of numbers we'll see for 3.0.

It would be disappointing if it can't pull in 5 billion at least, with more marketing and a wider opening. 6 billion is possible I think.

Mandoric

Banned
Goro can't even beat his own Ghibli peers. Earthsea made 7.65 billion yen, which is a lot for such a shitty film, but a totally non-Miyazaki related project like Arrietty still pulled in 9.25 billion yen. Goro Miyazaki should just quit.

But duck, you're forgetting.
We all know Goro has four arms, so obvs he can work on two movies at once--that means we need to count their ticket sales together.

Firemind

To be fair, ghibli films with fantastical elements tend to do better than ones without. I don't think we can attribute the tepid commercial reception to the director.

wonzo

Banned
The fact that Earthsea made 3.19 billion yen more than Poppy Hill is just...

zjjGt.gif

lmao

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What happened in Earthsea again? I remember some walls around fields, some steps in a town and some mad bloke at the end.

BluWacky

To be fair, ghibli films with fantastical elements tend to do better than ones without. I don't think we can attribute the tepid commercial reception to the director.

While I don't think Poppy Hill is a terrible film like duck does, it's exceptionally workmanlike. While the individual images look good, the story is pretty boring, and for Western tastes it goes a bit wack-a-doodle two-thirds of the way through. I can't imagine the word of mouth was massive on it.

(bear in mind, of course, that Hayao Miyazaki co-adapted the story. Deliberate sabotage!!!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom