• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It's just a new kids anime with transforming robots based on a Square Enix arcade game. No big deal. The only notable things is that Dai Sato is writing it (looooool) and Naoki Sato is composing (OMG!). I'm looking forward to it because it looks like a fun kids show with ROBOTS.

It's so weird to see a boys' toyetic show receive any kind of serious hype here. Not that I'm complaining!

It's just a new kids anime with transforming robots based on a Square Enix arcade game. No big deal. The only notable things is that Dai Sato is writing it (looooool) and Naoki Sato is composing (OMG!). I'm looking forward to it because it looks like a fun kids show with ROBOTS.

Don't forget the supervising director is Shinji Takamatsu (Gintama, Daily Lives of High School Boys)!

Okay, that's true. Lol. I guess they were both wallowing in their own failures at that time. It's funny how both are also adaptations of English novels!

I was so excited for Howl's Moving Castle that as soon as I heard the news that it would be Miyazaki's next project I checked the book out of the library and read it. That was about the only good thing that came out of the film.

duckroll

Don't forget the supervising director is Shinji Takamatsu (Gintama, Daily Lives of High School Boys)!

I'm actually more excited about the actual director - Kunihiro Mori. He has a good sense of action pacing, and he has directed some pretty fun light hearted stuff including Mars Daybreak.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You avatar fits the post really well. I now feel kinda threatened by it... :(

It's more appropriate than you realize. Yayoi is a huge toku fan so she would probably like Gyrozetter too, hahah.

5pgySl.jpg

On the bright side, I don't think that AnimeGAF has ever once seriously discussed, for instance, the "symbolism" in Evangelion except to openly mock it. That elevates the level of our discussion on the series above that of 99.9% of the online anime community, which is still trapped in 1996 and wholly (and blissfully?) unaware of anything that Anno has ever said about his own creation. Hell, more substantial discussions can occur as a result of of Eva waifu wars than the 2deep4u topics that are traditionally endlessly rekindled.
To be fair, I wouldn't trust a word out of that man's mouth, either.
I honestly can't think of a reason to watch any of the Rebuild movies beyond their awesome action sequences, so I don't know why you wouldn't want to check out Rebuild 1.0.
Don't forget about Asuka fans getting dunked in 2.0. That's always enjoyable.

duckroll

Gen Urobuchi has tweeted that he is indeed the writer for the drama CD on the second Fate/Zero BD-Box set as well. He comments that if the final lines of the series are considered Fate 0.5, then the drama CD here would be Fate 0.2. He also hints that Taiga will have a fairly large role in it.

.... :/

Jex

I'm actually more excited about the actual director - Kunihiro Mori. He has a good sense of action pacing, and he has directed some pretty fun light hearted stuff including Mars Daybreak.

I just can't support a CG mecha future.

duckroll

http://www.project-magi.com/news/news_detail.html?p=1&id=14734

Aside from the big actual event where they will announce the Magi anime cast on 9/30, they will also be broadcasting a Magi special on the Magi timeslot on 9/30 - a week before the show starts. This will probably be the usual special program where they introduce the show, have some guests, detail the announcements earlier that day, and show some exclusive footage to get people excited for the new show starting the following week.

Jex

http://www.project-magi.com/news/news_detail.html?p=1&id=14734

Aside from the big actual event where they will announce the Magi anime cast on 9/30, they will also be broadcasting a Magi special on the Magi timeslot on 9/30 - a week before the show starts. This will probably be the usual special program where they introduce the show, have some guests, detail the announcements earlier that day, and show some exclusive footage to get people excited for the new show starting the following week.

But, because it's Magi they're going to troll you by having zero new footage.

Branduil

You just need to open up to change. Don't fear what you don't understand. Embrace it.

First they came for the cars,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a car enthusiast.

Then they came for the birds,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a bird enthusiast.

Then they came for the mecha,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a mecha enthusiast.

Then they came for all animated characters,
and there were no more hand-drawn mouths left to speak for me.

Jex

I still think the toilet issue is far more important. They can feel hunger but not when nature calls? This would lead to problem even if the logout button wasn't taken out. You logout only to find you've shat your pants three times over.

Someone hasn't heard of poop-socking.

This is the price that the industry has paid for abandoning 2D birds. Remember the good old days?

Interestingly the CG animation for Lady Bug isn't handled by Toei or any other Japanese studio, but by Method Animation, who is the co-production partner on the French side.

Actually the project was originally going to be a full CG movie, so be happy they decided to go with a TV series with some sweet 2D animation instead!

Branduil

Interestingly the CG animation for Lady Bug isn't handled by Toei or any other Japanese studio, but by Method Animation, who is the co-production partner on the French side.

Actually the project was originally going to be a full CG movie, so be happy they decided to go with a TV series with some sweet 2D animation instead!

Is that the reason why the 3D elements don't even make the barest of attempts to integrate with the hand-drawn ones?

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Bless France's inexplicable love of anime. Can you imagine executives of an animation company in any other western nation saying "Hey, wouldn't this look better in 2D?" I'll be elated if the fantastic animation extends beyond what we were exposed to in today's sizzle reel.

What, if anything, is Method's relationship to Zagtoon? Does their role extend beyond work on the CG for the show?

Is that the reason why the 3D elements don't even make the barest of attempts to integrate with the hand-drawn ones?

Kids don't care. Works fine for Yu-Gi-Oh, Precure, Battle Spirits, Jewelpet, Beyblade, and virtually every other children's anime.

Caesnd

Macross Zero proved to me that CG can work. It'll never be as good, sure, but it's absolutely possible for it to not be an eyesore.

Maybe we just need to have a separate thread entirely devoted to Waifu Appreciation and Arguments.
I'm imagining animeGAF as a group of people sitting around a table in a middle ages era tavern. Conversation is carrying on as normal until one poster makes a comment that causes the room to fall completely silent. Another poster stands up, walks up to the first man, and slaps him across the face. Cut to two pale, hairy, half-naked men mudwrestling -- a flag with "Waifu Wars |OT|" flies over the entrance to the pit.

Uchip

Banned
Macross Zero proved to me that CG can work. It'll never be as good, sure, but it's absolutely possible for it to not be an eyesore.

I was afraid to mention this, but I agree
Macross Zero is one of the better examples, and it disgusts me that its been more than 10 years and the standards are generally still not up to that level

Horizon s2 9

It sure does suck when characters you feel bad for end up on the villain's side. Oh well, cool airship battles!

Looks like the match ups have been set once again, so the next few episodes should be crazy.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm imagining animeGAF as a group of people sitting around a table in a middle ages era tavern. Conversation is carrying on as normal until one poster makes a comment that causes the room to fall completely silent. Another poster stands up, walks up to the first man, and slaps him across the face. Cut to two pale, hairy, half-naked men mudwrestling -- a flag with "Waifu Wars |OT|" flies over the entrance to the pit.

Is this the Valhalla that we all ascend to after dying of moe?

Kazzy

Yeah, Hyouka is quite good, I finally started it yesterday. Although, I should probably hit up those 'boring' episodes before passing judgment, if only to test my resolve. Dat colour palette!

I would have made it through a couple of more episodes if it wasn't for that damn IRC. I spent an hour or so browsing through Pokemon cards after the fact, damn nostalgia...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom