• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Ah yes glass Fleet. I should start that soon.
The DVDs are sitting on the shelf there looking forlorn. I have no idea what Im in for but you guys make it sound like it is gloriously awful and I have to admit that it exciting.

Kazzy

Eden of the East 1-7

It was my vague understanding that this show was fairly well-received, but so far it's full of utter nonsense that makes me want to put it in the laughably bad category. Episode 7 and it's
penis Clipper who just needs to be loved by a man
might be too much for me.

Oh jeez, I had forgotten about those dream sequences, they were just bizarre!

BluWacky

Eden of the East 1-7

It was my vague understanding that this show was fairly well-received, but so far it's full of utter nonsense that makes me want to put it in the laughably bad category. Episode 7 and it's
penis Clipper who just needs to be loved by a man
might be too much for me.

What else do you think is bad about the show other than that character? It's a near-future conspiracy thriller - much of it is no more ludicrous than, say, Enemy of the State. I And the activities of the character you don't like aren't exactly unheard of, although I understand you not liking part of the resolution of that storyline.

It was well received for its technical quality and its attempt to tackle some interesting issues (the status of Generation Y in modern Japan, for instance).

So Highschool DxD is getting a season 2?

the answer to that question would be YES ?

PDIQn.jpg

Novid

Banned
I just finished listening to this, some really good stuff, mainly because Helen runs the whole thing.

Agreed on that front, as somewhat of a novice, I'm always looking for entertaining anime podcasts. Apart from having derisive personalties (that's to say I don't like them at all), I never found it particuarly enlightening either.

It was also nice to see someone championing Arrietty, because I really enjoyed it, and continue to be mystified by some of the critcism thrown its way.

Helen is more scholar than fan. But the podcast is old, just like the owners are old, jaded, useless and stuck in the past...think about for a min.

Aquarion EVOL Episode 18-22

This show is absolutely ridiculous and it's filling me with unbridled joy.

The whole men turning into women thing is one of the biggest WTF moments I've had in a show in quite some time. Saw the Kagura = Amata thing a mile away. Also, jesus christ Zessica just can't catch a fucking break can she?

The music in this show is beautiful. Reminds me of Escaflowne a lot of the time too.

K-On!! 27 Complete

Really loved season 2, it was really fun watching it, so much better than the boring first season. Have not seen Frieza btw.

Giving it a 7/10.

PRqAW.png

February 9, 2013.

http://mantan-web.jp/2012/09/05/20120905dog00m200035000c.html

Mantan Web is reporting that the Star Driver movie is a rearrangement of the TV series, with a brand new post-ending epilogue.

Looks amazing might outdo Mobile Suit Gundam 00 for best anime movie for me ever. Hopefully they have all three songs used during the show and maybe a new one too, and if they keep the long scenes of Takuto and Sugata breathing heavily for lots of seconds, and their morning bath scenes.

Wonder who west would get it, I guess a company would get it and dub it then consider if they will redub the original series, hope thats possible, Id rebuy.

Anyone feel like helping me out by naming all the best shows currently airing this season? All I'm watching as far as new shows goes is... Sword Art Online.

Accel World is a mus
Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate is amazing
Kokoro Connect

wonzo

Banned
ioa3GzU1tkRZ.gif

il8QVpMFdOA6X.gif

inv7boWPSU34Z.gif

... and that's it for this week due to a far greater amount of traditional animation than usual. There was a fair bit of gore in this episode, it's a shame it was censored by an incredibly glowy white substance. Very lewd if you ask me!
I thought Diao was a girl all along so that didn't surprise me at all.

sonicmj1

Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team

Answering the question of how you airdrop a multi-ton complex piece of metal machinery out of the back of an airplane safely.

i3rZlqb1gLqYL.png

Maybe it didn't have a hovering sky crane, but it still reminds me a bit of the recent Mars Rover landing.

This was a great episode. It engaged a ton of different subplots on both sides really effectively. They almost had me rooting for the Zeon guys at the same time as 08th MS. With his open jacket and rugged manliness, it's hard not to like Admiral Yuri.

There's not too much else to say that isn't explicitly spelled out in the episode. At least now it's completely clear that
Gineas has totally lost it and, despite whatever moral ambiguity has existed to this point, is a man worth killing.
He definitely crossed the Moral Event Horizon there.

Looks like next week is the first half of a two-parter. Excellent.

Jex

This is the price that the industry has paid for abandoning 2D birds. Remember the good old days?

HQkMF.gif

Even Itano, working on the original Gundam series in the 70's managed to draw flcoks of birds by hand, and that's while working in the confines of cell animation.

/XX/

PdotMichael posting bad information. Is this the beginning of his downfall? :(
His turn to shine will come again... and very soon, as he is one of our spiritual guides:

intdz87gCelQn.png

Sir PdotMichael! Reporting for duty, sir! I'm ready, sir.

Next month, /ak/ will re-emerge stronger than ever...

Jex

This might be a stupid question, but why is CG so terrible most of the time?

I think it mainly looks terrible by comparison to how far everyone else in the world has gone with CG. A number of CG manage to scrape together CG animation that's reminiscent of a PS1 cutscene where as Hollywood can generate photoeralistic worlds.

Of course, you also have to consider that anyone who has actually studied CG animation to the extent that they're proficient in the craft would probably rather work in the videogame industry or some other profession that pays well.

Grzi

ioa3GzU1tkRZ.gif

il8QVpMFdOA6X.gif

inv7boWPSU34Z.gif

... and that's it for this week due to a far greater amount of traditional animation than usual. There was a fair bit of gore in this episode, it's a shame it was censored by an incredibly glowy white substance. Very lewd if you ask me!
I thought Diao was a girl all along so that didn't surprise me at all.

I started watching this crap yesterday, so you and DTL are not alone anymore.
Watched the first two episodes yesterday, and my burning shounen haato is about to get some more of it.

It looks awful, the main character is the most annoying character ever, but I'm kind of amused, at least for now.

7Th

Sometimes I think I'll not live up to your expectations but your words are encouraging, guys.

And that is why you can't leave again. You have to stay here from now on forever and ever and ever and...

Nah, man. It's cool! You are witnessing what a team compromised with what it does and loving it in the process can do while having fun, even if the content it is based on is a little bit derivative itself, because the simply accessible and defined but at the same time engaging personalities of the characters lend themselves to easily work on any situation the staff can devise, there is the potential to play with that for many stories (like in those movie promos and such that was neat on their part).

You could breath that respect just seeing images of the studio, as Masanori Takahashi showed us:

スタッフのいなくなったがらんとした戦場の跡。関わった全てのスタッフに感謝の気持ちを込めて。 \アイマス最高!!/... on Twitpic
http://twitpic.com/7wslcy

And Mr. Takahashi also commented at other times how GORIPON took care of his comrades... and treated them to quality instant food at times! That is real dedication and love for his peers.

I still remember how he blogged about buying a PSP and all 3 versions of SP back in the days. Not to mention all the fanart he drew. I'm still surprised he ended up directing the TV show; he is the only case in which I can be completely certain that he isn't bluffing for marketing purposes when he calls himself a fan of the source material.

I think it mainly looks terrible by comparison to how far everyone else in the world has gone with CG. A number of CG manage to scrape together CG animation that's reminiscent of a PS1 cutscene where as Hollywood can generate photoeralistic worlds.

Of course, you also have to consider that anyone who has actually studied CG animation to the extent that they're proficient in the craft would probably rather work in the videogame industry or some other profession that pays well.

Makes sense...rather unfortunate though as we end up with output like Muv-Luv.

duckroll

I still remember how he blogged about buying a PSP and all 3 versions of SP back in the days. Not to mention all the fanart he drew. I'm still surprised he ended up directing the TV show; he is the only case in which I can be completely certain that he isn't bluffing for marketing purposes when he calls himself a fan of the source material.

What about Peter Jackson? Lol.

fertygo

CG in anime usually looks bad because in the most application they use it as money saving method instead to make something look better.

In few time when studio use CG as visual solution, sometime the result isn't too bad.

Kazzy

Helen is more scholar than fan. But the podcast is old, just like the owners are old, jaded, useless and stuck in the past...think about for a min.

Yeah, I just meant more in regards to her being allowed to go off on her (fascinating) tangents.

I have no real desire to listen to the ANN podcast in its standard format.

/XX/

Even Itano, working on the original Gundam series in the 70's managed to draw flcoks of birds by hand, and that's while working in the confines of cell animation.
First thing that comes to mind, when I see "flock of birds" commented, is one of the intro logos for BANDAI Visual's EMOTION label... oh, the memories that come seeing it!

Yeah. I can't imagine how excited he sure was at the time after knowing he had the possibility of directing the new animated series.

And talking about having a PSP, I just remembered this thing:

グレン団活動報告「ドリル銀河に男の魂ッ!」: モ●ハン片手に誕生祝い
http://gainax.weblogs.jp/gurrenlagann/2007/04/post_d8c0.html

Seems like Mr. Nishigori was one of those in GAiNAX not obsessed with MONSTER HUNTER at the time, if he doesn't have one since then.

Kazzy

I was specifically talking about anime. I remember how the P4A staff mentioned in an interview that they loved the game and I just rolled my eyes.

Well, it contained enough little references and creative flourishes that it was quickly apparent that was the case. The animation was certainly spotty, but there was some genuine affection for the source material, at least at some level.

Space Brothers 20-22

Certainly one of the consistently good series this year. I really like how well developed the characters have become, not to mention likeable...even Ya-san.

Martian Successor Nadesico 8-13

Still amazing at the halfway point. All of the various elements (comedy, mecha, etc) have been handled very well. Even Ruri alone would make this worth watching :).

Hyouka 13

Into the culture festival arc now...pretty good so far. Seems to have allowed for at least a more varied color palette for the show's overall look.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
so she's... selling out?
I only listened to a bit of it, but it was fun to see the guys be so differential rather than their usual assholic-selves. I don't think they have the balls to tell her that they know better because they went to film school anyway.

Excellent. ANN is only tolerable when they have a good guest on, after all.
Yar. At least they're using their position for good, even though a Japanese guest will never happen.

Ryuukan, Firehawk, -Minsc- and my other GTO 2012 bro's.

Tomorrow is the finale :(

Is your body ready for Onizuka-Sensei?
Man, over so fast. I'm still on 8 though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom