• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
Wako and Sugata never wore those costumes in the original Star Driver right? If so then the movie definitely has to be more than just a re-arrangement + new epilogue...

I need to finish watching the show actually :3

Considering this is still Enokido Im hoping he goes the bat shit crazy route a la Utena movie...

duckroll

Wako and Sugata never wore those costumes in the original Star Driver right? If so then the movie definitely has to be more than just a re-arrangement + new epilogue...

I need to finish watching the show actually :3

Lots of re-arrangement movies these days have a lot of new footage and designs though...

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Can they really fight for 20 mins? Doesn't seem likely...

Prep and filler crap if they want to do it. If they aren't doing just the duel then it's odd for them to show the preview of JUST the duel. You'd think they show a scene from elsewhere. Meh...

duckroll

Yeah I suppose.

After all E7 had different designs WITHIN reused footage. lololol.

Can we not talk about that movie please? :(

Let's talk about how awesome the new Tauburn looks instead! :)

Prep and filler crap if they want to do it. If they aren't doing just the duel then it's odd for them to show the preview of JUST the duel. You'd think they show a scene from elsewhere. Meh...

Wouldn't showing any other scene potentially spoil the outcome of the duel itself? Considering the big cliffhanger in ep9 is the duel, it makes sense that the preview will only show teases of the actual fight, and leave the audience guessing.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Can we not talk about that movie please? :(

Let's talk about how awesome the new Tauburn looks instead! :)

Wouldn't showing any other scene potentially spoil the outcome of the duel itself? Considering the big cliffhanger in ep9 is the duel, it makes sense that the preview will only show teases of the actual fight, and leave the audience guessing.

Well fuck. I didn't think about that. Yeah. You're right. Shit.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I've been looking for an excuse to marathon Star Driver, so I suppose that this is as good a reason as any.

Medaka Box 6
spsTt.png

KlKwz.png

How precious.
And with that Medaka's harem grows.
Calvary battle always seems to be the last event, doesn't it? Well whatever, it was a fun conclusion to the inter-club competition. Looking forward to what the new girl will bring to the show. Loving this show so far.

I just finished listening to this, some really good stuff, mainly because Helen runs the whole thing.

I've just listened to the first few minutes but there are a couple of points already where you could tell if it were any other guest (or just twitter questions) Zac and Justin would have resorted to their usual snarky "film school blah blah..." but held back presumably out of respect to Helen. Good times :).

DiGiKerot

For those who live closer to the London end of Blighty than the Scotland one (Edinburgh SLA tickets went on sale today, by the way), Wolf Children is playing three times as part of the London Film Festival in October.

Now I'm just waiting to find out what the anime programming is for the Leeds Film Festival in November. Last year was a bit disappointing (Colorful and Children who Chase Lost Voices, with Hotorubi no Mori E added at the last minute), but the year before that they ran a whole days worth of anime programming. Looks like they have an entire days worth of programming on November 11th at the Town Hall (hands down the oddest place I've seen a movie), so hopefully they might have something that's not playing elsewhere.

I have to admit, I'm kind of hoping they have the third Mardock Scramble. I saw the first part there two years ago now, and I'd kind of like to have the dubious pleasure of having seen all three theatrically.

Hunter X Hunter (1999) 2

I believe this is anime-original "filler" material, and indeed it doesn't really contribute anything meaningful to the narrative. But it was a good episode in how it introduced and fleshed out important characters. Leorio receives the bulk of the focus, and Gon's affinity with animals is expanded upon, but I was most impressed with its treatment of Kurapika. He first appears as a random passerby on the street:

Though his bright colors make him stand out from the rest of the crowd. A bit later there's a scene in a restaurant where he's eating which simply but vividly showcases his chilly personality and skilled reflexes through his actions. This happens in the background to Gon and Leorio's adventures; Kurapika sees them but does not interact with them. It's an organic way of doing a character introduction, which makes it feel like he has a life beyond the requirements of the narrative or the needs of the protagonist.

It was well directed in general, with slick transitions. Some more obvious animation shortcuts than the first episode, which is to be expected when you're dealing with large crowds, but the few moments of action had the necessary impact.

Jex

Hunter X Hunter (1999) 2

I believe this is anime-original "filler" material, and indeed it doesn't really contribute anything meaningful to the narrative. But it was a good episode in how it introduced and fleshed out important characters. Leorio receives the bulk of the focus, and Gon's affinity with animals is expanded upon, but I was most impressed with its treatment of Kurapika. He first appears as a random passerby on the street:

I can't remember if you've seen the opening of the new series yet. If you haven't it might be interesting for you to go and see how much stuff they inserted into those opening episodes.

Medaka Box 7
WeQhx.png

Shameless plug
The new girl, Kikaijima, is great. I love her.
Besides her awkward introduction, this episode was a fan service episode. It's to bad this show is targeted to little boys. Some man service was not missed. Medaka's pout voice is straight up Yui's
I like how they keep foreshadowing the genre shift. "Yo, this is totally going to become a battle shounen show, keep watching please! We're begging you!" Well, I like it the way it is now.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So a new season of High School DxD and Maken Ki. I want to see where DxD is going but Maken Ki was a bad show.

Season of Shounen (potentially) gets followed up with Season of Smut. These themed seasons are kind of turning out to be a double-edged sword!

Mandoric

Banned
Eden of the East 1-7

It was my vague understanding that this show was fairly well-received, but so far it's full of utter nonsense that makes me want to put it in the laughably bad category. Episode 7 and it's
penis Clipper who just needs to be loved by a man
might be too much for me.

It was a perpetual-cliffhanger thriller than eventually tried to resolve itself and failed spectacularly. Skip the movies, stop at the end of the TV, and pretend it was just an all-flash popcorn flick, you'll be happier that way.

The description on the site sounds like it will be a remake. The blurb calls the movie a "new construction" of the story featuring Takuto, Wako, and Sugata. This is supposed to be a brand new work which presents the characters in a completely new light, and represents the new vision of the Star Driver franchise. Or... something like that. Lol.

They should just cut out Wako.

But, yay, new Star Driver stuff!

cajunator

Banned
His turn to shine will come again... and very soon, as he is one of our spiritual guides:

intdz87gCelQn.png

Sir PdotMichael! Reporting for duty, sir! I'm ready, sir.

Next month, /ak/ will re-emerge stronger than ever...

Maybe I'm crazy, but when I saw that logo I immediately saw "Aoki"

Medaka Box 6

And with that Medaka's harem grows.
Calvary battle always seems to be the last event, doesn't it? Well whatever, it was a fun conclusion to the inter-club competition. Looking forward to what the new girl will bring to the show. Loving this show so far.

I love how much of a hedonist/troll Hansode is. Shes amazing.
Medaka Box without her would definitely be missing something important.

I can't remember if you've seen the opening of the new series yet. If you haven't it might be interesting for you to go and see how much stuff they inserted into those opening episodes.

Yes, I've seen the first three episodes of the current HxH; the praise its more recent episodes have received is actually what motivated me to start the original. From what I'm able to compare, the 1999 show certainly has a lot more material that gives the series a rather different flavor.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
oh, I read Maken-ki but thought Minami-ke (which is also a winter anime). I was little confused about the smut comments.

20Cnn.jpg

Best character in the show and he's got the most fanservice too. Shirtless at almost all times!

Also had no idea there was a new Minami-Ke season coming. Neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom