• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Yeah, we need some GOOD fight scenes.

ibi4Nnhk3EwXHn.gif

Completed the English dub of Haibane Renmei this afternoon. It was just as good, and heart wrenching, as when I watched it subbed on Hulu.

Guess it is finally time to start watching the new summer season shows. I need to watch something new before getting those Lain blu-rays.

e_i

Is it known that it's a sequel and not a remake or something of the sort? On ANN it seems rather ambiguous.

It just shows that quality doesn't sell and sex does. Okay...there are shows that got a second season and deserved it (Yuru Yuri), but still. Gah. And Highschool DxD gets a second season too.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That gif reminds me of Naruto's Bridge Arc.

Remember Naruto back then? Yeah, good times.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Bebop the Cowboy has some decent music, it's true.

Anyway, inconsistent animation is pretty much a trademark of Toei's long shows, sad though it is.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It just shows that quality doesn't sell and sex does. Okay...there are shows that got a second season and deserved it (Yuru Yuri), but still. Gah. And Highschool DxD gets a second season too.
Highschool DxD deserved a second season. You wouldn't want one for Usagi Drop either.

OceanBlue

I don't think Maken-ki sold though...

(Also, in my opinion, sex doesn't sell in the anime industry. Mecha does.)

7Th

Yeah, that scene was incredible. The complete inconsistency in quality is this shows greatest weakness. :(

Episode 22 was by the shitty staff because Toei doesn't care about Haruto. :(

don't spend more effort than the animators.

Episode 10 was one of the well-animated episodes, actually.

Anyway, inconsistent animation is pretty much a trademark of Toei's long shows, sad though it is.

No, even Toei's 13 episode shows are filled with horrible animation.

Andrew J.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous 01

I have no interest in this show, but so many people around here have been calling it the anime of the season that I figured I should jump on the bandwagon. Can probably get caught up by the time the last episode airs next week.

It definitely looks nice. Dem flowers! You know how people are always complaining that so much effort is put into the visuals of Hyouka even though the subject matter is so mundane? Basically the same situation here, but to a lesser degree.

Speaking of Hyouka, it's a little weird that Yuichi Nakamura's doing another snarky inner monologue guy a la Kyon. I hope he doesn't get typecast.

The story manages the tone shifts between comedy and drama pretty well.

Good to see characters that don't just dance around their feelings for half the show or more.

7Th

But have any of Toei's other shows varied as widely as Saint Seiya Omega, from the ultra-beautiful Umakoshi episodes to the ultra-ugly Z team episodes?

One Piece has that 1 animation director with a completely different style that makes the show look more serious and arty.

Yeah, I think it's pretty common. We're talking about the guys who did Dragonball after all. :p

Suite Precure was ugly all the time. :V

Kazzy

I seriously can't tell if I watched episodes eighteen and nineteen. Even scrubbing through them brings about no recollection of having seen them. This is not a good sign.

I look forward to this lunacy, tomorrow. I've only watched the first two episodes, and this will be the best time for me to catch up on stuff. I might see if I can manage to go the full distance!

Maybe...

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
But have any of Toei's other shows varied as widely as Saint Seiya Omega, from the ultra-beautiful Umakoshi episodes to the ultra-ugly Z team episodes?

Precure shows can have some horribly terrible art, but I don't remember seeing fights quite that bad, I could just be repressing them though.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Give me a second to look for my "Suite Precure" running gifs.

Suite didn't have good art to start with, though.

I do like some of their transformed designs, but the proportions look quite awkward and stylisticly inconsistent too much of the time

wonzo

Banned
Episode 22 was by the shitty staff because Toei doesn't care about Haruto. :(
Ninja's just can't catch a break these days.

Precure shows can have some horribly terrible art, but I don't remember seeing fights quite that bad, I could just be repressing them though.
There was one episode of HeartCatch I've seen that really stood out as having some truly bad animation. Can't remember the episode number though. :<

Phi Brain 2 ep 22
tumblr_m9womsBYNW1qb9i9c.png

I liked the puzzle and the music that played through it. The really good puzzles this season has always combined aspects of being both a giver and solver of sorts. Klondike-sama's personality was perfect for it too. Not to mention these hovercrafts seemed fun especially with their lighting. So in sum, a good puzzle.

Melancholy is awful though
If she ends up final boss !!! :/

Yeah, I think it's pretty common. We're talking about the guys who did Dragonball after all. :p

I know Toei has some rather ugly shows, but I thought they were pretty much ugly all the time and didn't have something like SSO 10 to be proud of. Well, it's not as if I've really spent much time with their long-running shows aside from Sailor Moon.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Chris' song actually sounds metalish to me while the others are straight up j-pop.

To me, Chris's songs just sounded like a somewhat weak attempt to create angsty or "evil"-sounding j-pop because she was a villain, but I suppose it's not like there's any single valid interpretation of what exactly it was supposed to sound like.

I'm bored. Someone recommend me something so bad it's good.

Even if you've already accepted someone else's request, be sure to watch the dub of Dark Cat.

One Piece for damned sure. Some of the bad episodes made me want to cry.

duckroll

I know Toei has some rather ugly shows, but I thought they were pretty much ugly all the time and didn't have something like SSO 10 to be proud of. Well, it's not as if I've really spent much time with their long-running shows aside from Sailor Moon.

Nah, that's not true at all. Toei has a very long tradition of being a good place to start out in the anime industry. Many talented animators and directors originated at Toei. Don't forget that Hosoda worked on Toei originally too. Digimon? One Piece? Doremi? Nadja? Been there done that. Pretty much every long running show which is popular will tend to contain episodes which are exceptional. It's just that Toei also has various studios in and out of Japan which they use to keep the huge machinery going, so their level of consistency is rather low.

7Th

Nah, that's not true at all. Toei has a very long tradition of being a good place to start out in the anime industry. Many talented animators and directors originated at Toei. Don't forget that Hosoda worked on Toei originally too. Digimon? One Piece? Doremi? Nadja? Been there done that. Pretty much every long running show which is popular will tend to contain episodes which are exceptional. It's just that Toei also has various studios in and out of Japan which they use to keep the huge machinery going, so their level of consistency is rather low.

Understatement.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Nah, DBZ has a lot of really nice looking episodes, but it is Toei levels of inconsistent of course. Often times they're followed by the C team episodes, and it's really noticable when they draw stuff that already happened in the recaps/early episode segments.

From this

to this
In one episode.

comp12.png

madp

The Light of El Cantare
One Piece has that 1 animation director with a completely different style that makes the show look more serious and arty.

Don't be dissing Tate Naoki, dood.

Suite Precure was ugly all the time. :V

That it was. Did it even have a single sakuga episode?

Among the Precure series that I've seen, Fresh probably fits the "wild Toei inconsistency" bill the best, even if the episodes that don't look like they were drawn in MS Paint are a small minority.

Toei is humongous, so they're bound to have something that surpasses SSO 10.

And yes, plenty of their long running stuff fluctuates like crazy. One Piece and Toriko both have stuff ranging from essentially stills to movie quality stuff.

Of course I know Toei has been a hotbed of talent. I guess I just haven't followed any of their shows before SSO to notice this wild inconsistency before - I don't remember any Sailor Moon episodes looking as bad as some of this stuff and the early One Piece episodes I've watched have just been mediocre across the board. Just another sign of my inexperience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom