• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

OceanBlue

I don't really watch mecha, so I don't keep track of every mecha that comes out, but don't most do relatively well? You have those that sell a ton like Gundam and Geass, you have those that make good numbers like Star Driver... even numbers in the 4-7k range like Aquarion EVOL and Eureka Seven AO are still better than a lot of ecchi harem.

I guess EVOL and AO have more effort put into them than the average ecchi harem, though, but that never means anything anyway.

But have any of Toei's other shows varied as widely as Saint Seiya Omega, from the ultra-beautiful Umakoshi episodes to the ultra-ugly Z team episodes?

I skimmed over some of the animators and some of the episodes to see if there's anything I missed, and Ohnishi Youichi (I've never heard of him, so I grabbed his name from ANN) does an okay job. It isn't Umakoshi level and it still has its share of off-model shots and wonky animation, but it's not all awful like a lot of the other episodes. More importantly, he gave us this.

Excuse the choppier-than-usual framerate. It's not my fault, I swear! Dumb 30fps-encoded video files!

You guys make me feel awful for enjoying Sword Art Online every single week.

But that's ok, because Lisbeth makes it all better.

j16b6.jpg

Saint Seiya Omega 22

That was a nice Ryuho Haruto episode actually. Hopefully we get more time with them both, they really alright together, mellow and low key unlike Souma and Kouga, but a bit better than Yuna and Aria. So many cool jutsus like Shadow Clone Jutsu, Substituation Jutsu, Water Dragon Jutsu, Hidden Mist Jutsu, and some genjutsus made it fun.

Flashback was also good, I want more on that time controlling saint.

It's frightening to consider that for every one of these that we notice, there may be several that we miss.

In the end, as frustrating as Toei's fluctuating production values can be at times, I am grateful to them for providing spaces for talented directors and animators to spread their wings. They've done some great stuff over the years. (Which reminds me, can I see Niji-Iro Hotaru already?)

Enjoy what you enjoy; it's OK! Nothing wrong with popcorn entertainment.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I dont get the big deal with this picture.
Its a badly translated fansub.
The dvds have much better translations.

Fuck yes she does <3<3<3<3<3<3<3

I don't think the problem is with the translation. He really might've said something dumb and tautological. lol.

Ouran High School Host Club 13

That was all I could have asked for out of an episode entitled "Haruhi in Wonderland". Bravo, Igarashi.

Besides the surreal dreamscape, it even had character insight to boot!
The scene with Haruhi and her mother was quite touching. I was initially frustrated that Tamaki interrupted Haruhi explaining what her dream was, but the courtroom scene made it clear that it was to follow in her mother's footsteps and become a lawyer.

OceanBlue

Even if the line is poorly translated (I don't have the DVDs and I don't know Japanese so I can't really compare), the line makes a lot more sense in context in my opinion.

Oda Nobuna no Yabou 1
xamet.png

100% improvement I say.
Haha, just about what I imagined this show would be like. Mostly just introductions in this episode, but it laid out the ground work well. Shibata is best girl. Dat jiggly armor.
This show is surprisingly well animated too. I'm kinda shocked how good it looks sometimes.
Yo51f.jpg

It's not what it looks like!

OceanBlue

"The sky is blue" makes sense too.

I know, and I don't completely remember the scene, but to be fair,
in context he hadn't been acting as if he would die if he were killed and he hadn't really died due to Avalon being embedded in his body. He's acknowledging that he shouldn't be exempt from such a basic rule and that Saber needs Avalon more instead for the fight against Gilgamesh..

cajunator

Banned
That's probably just the localisation taking a more liberal approach to it.

I think you are right. It was probably tranlated to make more sense in english.
If someone can remember what episode he said this in I can look it up when I get home.

Gundam Age 46
tumblr_m9s7umCooT1rnfeito6_500.jpg

The battle was glorious, Zehearto v Kio, Gundam FX v Gundam Legilus is definitely up there for one of the flashiest battles for the still epic C-funnels and the bits for the Legilus, even those shields they put up and Kio's mastery of controlling them in various formations in highspeed battle. Loved it.
Did scream at the screen since Kio didnt use FX Burst immediately, why!!!

For plot stuff I liked the direction and how things come together.
Zehearto is still leaning on the bad side too much I hope he doesnt go too far, though I think we may get another team up with Zanald taking things on his own. I just hope Fram doesnt get caught up and die in this as she was an decent subordinate and added an extra normal human element to the Vegan side. (that denied romance scene...)

Three more episodes to go :(

jman2050

But that's ok, because Lisbeth makes it all better.

SAO is fun to watch but also oppressively stupid.

I'm still not sure what I think of it in the end. I'm leaning towards "like" right now for what it's worth.

SAO is definitely stupid, but the novels don't really avoid those pitfalls either, at least judging from the first volume.

It's just really entertaining I guess. Coming off of the emotional rollercoaster that was Fate/Zero last season, it's nice to have something light and cool to watch. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom