• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

ikVRnfXLefHbO.jpg

OceanBlue

You can make a full version if you just link to it instead.
Please.

To be honest, when I said I deleted animation, what I meant is that I deleted every third frame in the sequence after the hand-poses (which had a very unique image for each frame!), so things like zooming, the wolf charging at you, and the camera shaking aren't as fluid as the original.

Basically, after the hand-poses, the rest of the GIF is animated at 16fps. Aside from this one, most well-animated scenes are done by twos instead of by ones anyway. The difference isn't really big visually, so I hope you aren't expecting too much out of it. In terms of filesize, though, it's a difference between 217 and 339 frames.

Here it is though. Don't expect too much!

Also, I agree with Duckroll. There are a lot of really good scenes in episode 10 (I'm not caught up to 20 yet so I can't say, but it's probably just as amazing).

Dead

well not really...yet
2 years late but I finally finished FMA Brotherhood lol.

Not as good as the original series in many respects, and the final episode certainly wasn't as elegant as the original shows final episode, but it was still enjoyable. The story was fine for what it was, but it certainly wasn't some transcendentally amazing thing that was leagues above the original show like mango readers made it out to be. Overall still a good show, but the superior direction and artistic direction of the original series put it on top.

Branduil

To be honest, when I said I deleted animation, what I meant is that I deleted every third frame in the sequence after the hand-poses (which had a very unique image for each frame!), so things like zooming, the wolf charging at you, and the camera shaking aren't as fluid as the original.

Basically, after the hand-poses, the rest of the GIF is animated at 16fps. Aside from this one, most well-animated scenes are done by twos instead of by ones anyway. The difference isn't really big visually, so I hope you aren't expecting too much out of it. In terms of filesize, though, it's a difference between 217 and 339 frames.

Here it is though. Don't expect too much!

Also, I agree with Duckroll. There are a lot of really good scenes in episode 10 (I'm not caught up to 20 yet so I can't say, but it's probably just as amazing).

Thanks.

duckroll

Not as good as the original series in many respects, and the final episode certainly wasn't as elegant as the original shows final episode, but it was still enjoyable. The story was fine for what it was, but it certainly wasn't some transcendentally amazing thing that was leagues above the original show like mango readers made it out to be.

The only FMA vs FMA:B question that matters: Kameda or Nakamura?

Dead

well not really...yet
The only FMA vs FMA:B question that matters: Kameda or Nakamura?
That's a hard fucking question lol.

Kameda was responsible for most of the Mustang going bat shit vs Lust and later Envy right? That stuff was legit amazing, but Nakamura's choreography is second to none and I can still vividly picture his stuff in my mind even 8 years later.

I guess Nakamura lol, but thats not a slight for the other dude.

oh yeah, one last thing. Ending the show on
Ed being on a train
... bad idea lol, the scene simply wasn't as good as the one in the original shows ending, for so many reasons.

SAO is definitely stupid, but the novels don't really avoid those pitfalls either, at least judging from the first volume.

It's just really entertaining I guess. Coming off of the emotional rollercoaster that was Fate/Zero last season, it's nice to have something light and cool to watch. Haha.
You don't need to justify your enjoyment like that! SAO looks nice, it's fun, and there are sparks of intelligence here and there.

Embrace the good, ignore the bad. Eventually, you won't feel shame for enjoying even the most mediocre of ecchi harem!
No need to go that far, of course. You just need to embrace the good with the bad.

duckroll

Kameda was responsible for most of the Mustang going bat shit vs Lust and later Envy right? That stuff was legit amazing, but Nakamura's choreography is second to none and I can still vividly picture his stuff in my mind even 8 years later.

Ed being on a train
... bad idea lol, the scene simply wasn't as good as the one in the original shows ending, for so many reasons.

Kameda's style is very, very noticeable. When you see the thick brush strokes in the animation, you know it's him. He does it as a kind of trademark. Sorta like Yutapon's cubes. Lol.

You should watch Milos. Lots of amazing animation there. :D

Not as good as the original series in many respects, and the final episode certainly wasn't as elegant as the original shows final episode, but it was still enjoyable. The story was fine for what it was, but it certainly wasn't some transcendentally amazing thing that was leagues above the original show like mango readers made it out to be. Overall still a good show, but the superior direction and artistic direction of the original series put it on top.

I'm in the camp that never read the manga and didn't see why everyone loved the original FMA so much. I thought it was slow, found the filler painful to sit through and generally wasn't very grabbed by it at all.

I also thought the ending was weak and the film only cemented that to me.

I was pushed to watch Brotherhood because a friend kept telling me that it was significantly different, and I'm glad I listened. I proudly own all the Funimation BD sets. =)

Also seconding what Duck said; Milos is an animation orgasm for the eyes.

Jex

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, except that I am only half-way through the extremely long ending arc.

Dead

well not really...yet
Kameda's style is very, very noticeable. When you see the thick brush strokes in the animation, you know it's him. He does it as a kind of trademark. Sorta like Yutapon's cubes. Lol.

Yeah, that style showed up a lot, and looking at credits, he was involved in a ton of episodes.

Hopefully he has a role that big in a show again soon.

Speaking of Nakamura, how did Tow no Quon end up? That is on my to watch backlog, and I doubt anyone else but you has seen the whole thing, lol.

You are correct here.

Ed being on a train

And here.

And definitely do this!

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, except that I am only half-way through the extremely long ending arc.

It's so long. They could have cut a cour and the show would have been stronger for it.

Dead

well not really...yet
Yeah, it was extremely long winded, like absurdly so. I enjoyed a lot of the content in it, but after every episode I kept telling myself "damn this is going on forever." That one day was some Namek level stuff lol.

Pacing and direction wise, the show just wasn't up to par compared to the original. I don't have it in for Irie as a director, I love Kurau, a lot, but he wasn't the right guy for the job here.

Mature

Yutapon? Is that another name for Nakamura?

duckroll

Yeah, that style showed up a lot, and looking at credits, he was involved in a ton of episodes.

Hopefully he has a role that big in a show again soon.

The last I read on his twitter, he was talking about how he probably won't have any new work on broadcast for the rest of this year, but he's working on some unannounced game related stuff at BONES now. So that kinda rules him out of Zetsuen, which I'm hoping with be the glorious return of Nakamura.

Speaking of Nakamura, how did Tow no Quon end up? That is on my to watch backlog, and I doubt anyone else but you has seen the whole thing, lol.

Pretty disappointing. The first episode was promising in a retro-anime style X-men scenario kinda way. Then it kinda got lost in bad pacing and poor writing. The final episode had both Kameda and Nakamura handling action scenes, but by then the villain was so lame I couldn't really enjoy it that much. Nakamura storyboarded all the action in ep1 and ep6 iirc, and animated the major scenes too. ep2-5 are far less interesting, but ep3 or 4 had a really interesting flashback sequence with a pretty unusual art style.

As far as BONES shows go for that director, Skullman >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Towa no Quon.

Jex

I'm in the camp that never read the manga and didn't see why everyone loved the original FMA so much. I thought it was slow, found the filler painful to sit through and generally wasn't very grabbed by it at all.
This is one of those times where the 'filler' elevates the original material and improves it considerably. This is true all the way through to the end of the original series which retains a tight, powerful focus on the two young brothers where as the manga/Brotherhood has a far wider (and therefore more diluted) ensemble showing.

Fantastic Children 2

I see this show saved its real WTF moments for the second episode. I'm hooked for now; I just hope there are some satisfying answers by the end.

While there is some visual awkwardness from time to time (the above shot isn't that well composed, for instance), there's also real beauty to be found. The final scene made great use of layers to realistically depict what the rushing landscape viewed out the window of a moving train looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom