• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

How did you feel about it before you watched an episode, lol. So many trollpinions on the net, I dont know who to trust anymore :(

No one praising the show is lying about it unless they say that the first episode is good or that all of the CGI is awesome.

Branduil

This is one of those times where the 'filler' elevates the original material and improves it considerably. This is true all the way through to the end of the original series which retains a tight, powerful focus on the two young brothers where as the manga/Brotherhood has a far wider (and therefore more diluted) ensemble showing.

I forget, did you ever actually finish the first FMA?

Jarmel

Banned
It's so long. They could have cut a cour and the show would have been stronger for it.

No. The show should have been much longer. It needed a bunch more episodes in the first half to slow the pacing down and set up Hughes a bit more.

This is one of those times where the 'filler' elevates the original material and improves it considerably. This is true all the way through to the end of the original series which retains a tight, powerful focus on the two young brothers where as the manga/Brotherhood has a far wider (and therefore more diluted) ensemble showing.

The original FMA is much more localized and smaller in view compared to Brotherhood/manga which has a larger worldview. The manga really makes it feel more like a world compared to the first series as we have other countries and locations to really place Amestris.

Dead

well not really...yet
Yeah, the original show did a good job of making the whole thing into one cohesive story, it never felt like it used episodes to stall or anything. In FMA:B the two brothers are out of action for insane stretches of time towards the end, and most of the new characters, save a couple, simply aren't that interesting to compensate for it.

I don't know, I liked it, but I can't help but feel a bit of "that's it?" considering the insane hype the mango readers gave to the original story.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo 02-04
1LGK4.jpg
The commanding presence of the Count himself is astounding in this portrayal. They really capture his control on each scene. I also have to say that the height of storytelling is on full display in the perfectly curated secrets that roll out one after another to keep the audience engaged. It is so easy for me to forget just what an excellent storyteller Dumas was as he juggles high society and the baser emotions common to all man. There's even quite a delightful amount of variance in the cast, and I'd forgotten entirely of characters like Peppo. I must say that the futuristic setting spins the entire story in a rather strange way. I do not particularly feel as though it adds anything yet, but it turns things enough to solidify the sensation of freshness.

Dead

well not really...yet
Fate/Zero
Durarara
Eden of the East

Someone choose my fate.

My lack of animu watching the past few years is pretty shameful. Back in the day I would have never neglected a new Kamiyama show but I never even watched a single ep of EoE...lol

Branduil

Fate/Zero
Durarara
Eden of the East

Someone choose my fate.

Well that list makes it pretty easy.

Fate/Zero

My lack of animu watching the past few years is pretty shameful. Back in the day I would have never neglected a new Kamiyama show but I never even watched a single ep of EoE...lol

Well you can watch his hideous new CGI Cyborg 009 movie when it comes out.

Narag

Fate/Zero
Durarara
Eden of the East

Someone choose my fate.

Fate/Zero

See, I just found myself forcing myself through all their side trips to find fake stones. I also didn't find the villains all that interesting either, in all honesty.

I'm a huge fan of ensemble casts so Brotherhood really pulled me in. Lots of favorite characters.

They're two different stories though and there's more than enough room for both to exist and have their fans. =)

Jex

Yeah, the original show did a good job of making the whole thing into one cohesive story, it never felt like it used episodes to stall or anything. In FMA:B the two brothers are out of action for insane stretches of time towards the end, and most of the new characters, save a couple, simply aren't that interesting to compensate for it.

I don't know, I liked it, but I can't help but feel a bit of "that's it?" considering the insane hype the mango readers gave to the original story.

Well, I can only imagine that (some) fans of the original were simply bothered by the existence of any change to the original storyline and, as such, disliked the first FMA anime on principle.

Jarmel

Banned
See, I just found myself forcing myself through all their side trips to find fake stones. I also didn't find the villains all that interesting either, in all honesty.

I'm a huge fan of ensemble casts so Brotherhood really pulled me in. Lots of favorite characters.

They're two different stories though and there's more than enough room for both to exist and have their fans. =)

Dante was a horrible villain. I can barely remember jack shit about her and the less said about the movie, the better.

Well, I can only imagine that (some) fans of the original were simply bothered by the existence of any change to the original storyline and, as such, disliked the first FMA anime on principle.

That's not true at all. Don't say crap like this unless you can back it up.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'll also throw my lot in with Fate/Zero of the titles listed, in the event it wasn't already completely decided on.

No. The show should have been much longer. It needed a bunch more episodes in the first half to slow the pacing down and set up Hughes a bit more.

While the beginning was rushed, the show as a whole certainly didn't need more episodes. If anything, they could have easily compressed the final arc and given the extra time to flesh out the start.

I appreciate the difficulty Bones had when approaching Brotherhood though. The original series had already covered the opening material brilliantly, and since they couldn't just rerun those episodes they had a tough task ahead of them. I'm sure they still could have done something better than the half-assed job they ended up doing.

What stands out in my mind when comparing how the original FMA and Brotherhood handled their final arcs is the difference in their treatment of characters. In the original FMA, everyone involved felt like they had a purpose; characters from early one-off episodes were brought back and given a specific role to play. In Brotherhood, it felt like a whole bunch of people were standing around Central doing nothing, even important characters like Al. It really bothered me.

I can safely say this without spoiling anything - yup.

Good to know!

Fate/Zero
Durarara
Eden of the East

Someone choose my fate.

You're going to want to go with Fate/Zero from that list.

Dresden

Fate/Zero
Durarara
Eden of the East

Someone choose my fate.

Fate/Zero is the best out of the lot, but EotE is pretty enjoyable too. Flawed, but it was fun enough for what it was.

Articalys

One Off 1-2

Well, that was a pleasant enough way to spend a half hour. Kind of makes me wish that there were more open-world games where you have to travel place to place by motorcycle.
Oh, of course there was the life lesson of "it's okay to rely on others" too.
I'll look forward to the second pair of episodes coming later this year.

Jex

That's not true at all. Don't say crap like this unless you can back it up.
I did say 'some' fans. As in, not all.

I don't think it's a particularly contentious statement either. Purists exist in all forms for all kinds of work and they simply cannot handle any kind of change to the some original work that they like. I don't need to prove their existence because they are omnipresent on the internet. Especially in terms of the endless "manga>anime" debates that occur.

Dead

well not really...yet
derp, Type Moon it is.

This is the part where I admit I liked Manabi Straight, and thus I have goodwill towards ufotable.

Jex

What stands out in my mind when comparing how the original FMA and Brotherhood handled their final arcs is the difference in their treatment of characters. In the original FMA, everyone involved felt like they had a purpose; characters from early one-off episodes were brought back and given a specific role to play. In Brotherhood, it felt like a whole bunch of people were standing around Central doing nothing, even important characters like Al. It really bothered me.

In the episode I just watched all Al did was try and lift up a car that had gotten stuck. That's it. After not appearing in the show for a number of episodes.

Jarmel

Banned
While the beginning was rushed, the show as a whole certainly didn't need more episodes. If anything, they could have easily compressed the final arc and given the extra time to flesh out the start.

I appreciate the difficulty Bones had when approaching Brotherhood though. The original series had already covered the opening material brilliantly, and since they couldn't just rerun those episodes they had a tough task ahead of them. I'm sure they still could have done something better than the half-assed job they ended up doing.

Yea it was a difficult problem as people wanted them to rush through the material but for quality purposes, they should have extended the opening quarter and proceeded through it a slower pace. So what we got was a 'Greatest Hits' version of the first half which does feel inferior to the original series in that regard. What they did to Cornello pissed me off to high heavens. Not that he was a good character anyway, just their version was worse to an extremely large degree.

As for the ending arc, they did burn through it at a decent pace. They couldn't really cut more without it feeling like a 'hit-and-run'.

I can't believe someone seriously say this. All the major characters in Brotherhood served a specific function, even the minor characters. Most had really good developmental payoffs and sendoffs.

I did say 'some' fans. As in, not all.

I don't think it's a particularly contentious statement either. Purists exist in all forms for all kinds of work and they simply cannot handle any kind of change to the some original work that they like. I don't need to prove their existence because they are omnipresent on the internet. Especially in terms of the endless "manga>anime" debates that occur.

While there are always some purists, I have never ever heard anyone say that Brotherhood was better just because it stuck to the manga. People had lots of problems with the ending of the original series in of itself, when it aired continuing way earlier before the manga ended. Even then, the first series is very highly regarded among fans of the manga.

Branduil

The original FMA was fine until they revealed the
real world
nonsense and ruined the ending. Well, I guess there were some warning signs before that, like the silliness of the
Terminator
-soldier. Typical BONES.

Dead

well not really...yet
real world
nonsense and ruined the ending. Well, I guess there were some warning signs before that, like the silliness of the
Terminator
-soldier. Typical BONES.
The final episode of FMA1 has always stood out as excellent to me. Ed transmuting himself, the scene on the train, etc. It was very memorable and worked very well as a final, but bittersweet ending. The movie has never been necessary I think. Sure your second spoiler was silly as shit lol, but oh well. Bones will find any excuse to animate robots!

Jarmel

Banned
real world
Terminator
-soldier. Typical BONES.

Exactly. Part of the reason people wanted the remake in the first place was because of how shitty the ending was in the original adaptation.

The final episode of FMA1 has always stood out as excellent to me. Ed transmuting himself, the scene on the train, etc. It was very memorable and worked very well as a final, but bittersweet ending. The movie has never been necessary I think.

And that's why the ending is garbage on a thematic level. Ed didn't learn jackshit from his adventures.

Jex

U9vWA.png

Yessss

So I knew most of the routes from the first Ore Imouto game, but I hadn't looked into the second one till now.

I knew Kyosuke gets Ayase pregnant in one of the routes in the first game. But I didn't know he gets most of the girls pregnant in the second one.
Why?

Jex

Waiting for the Oreimo apologists to tell us again how it's a wholesome story of a brother and sister getting over their estrangement and learning not to judge others for their hobbies.

You can't judge one work in one medium against a different variation of that work in a different medium.

As for the ending arc, they did burn through it at a decent pace. They couldn't really cut more without it feeling like a 'hit-and-run'.

I don't know; I felt it dragged to a painful extent, and obviously I'm not alone on that.

I can't believe someone seriously say this. All the major characters in Brotherhood served a specific function, even the minor characters. Most had really good developmental payoffs and sendoffs.

It just felt like the narrative wanted to get everyone in Central to build up the big climax, but once they all got there it didn't have enough stuff to keep everyone busy with. It wouldn't have grated on me as much if the arc was shorter.

While there are always some purists, I have never ever heard anyone say that Brotherhood was better just because it stuck to the manga.

I have.

The final episode of FMA1 has always stood out as excellent to me. Ed transmuting himself, the scene on the train, etc. It was very memorable and worked very well as a final, but bittersweet ending. The movie has never been necessary I think.

I agree; even though Brotherhood's ending was more conclusive in the sense of wrapping up all the loose ends, it wasn't as satisfying.

Branduil

derp, Type Moon it is.

This is the part where I admit I liked Manabi Straight, and thus I have goodwill towards ufotable.

Is that the one with the deceitful trailer that promised nuclear destruction and post-apocalyptic :firehawk?

But it wasn't bad. Why does everything have to be either great or shit?

Well the main problem is that the plot ties directly into season 2. It inevitably revives painful memories.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't know; I felt it dragged to a painful extent, and obviously I'm not alone on that.

It just felt like the narrative wanted to get everyone in Central to build up the big climax, but once they all got there it didn't have enough stuff to keep everyone busy with. It wouldn't have grated on me as much if the arc was shorter.

It kept pretty much everyone busy. The only one who you could say was on the sidelines was Al. Even still Al had his shining moment with the Philosopher's Stone and later got another moment when dealing with Father. Everyone else was pretty much fighting for their lives. Bradley wrecked everyone.

That's because there's a good contingency of people who preferred the way the manga handled things. Not just because Brotherhood was more 'pure' but because they think/thought the manga was better than the first anime adaptation.

Season 3 will save us
;-;

As bad as this sounds, I actually want this. The premise would actually be interesting now.
End of the world and all

Dead

well not really...yet
Is that the one with the deceitful trailer that promised nuclear destruction and post-apocalyptic :firehawk?
haha I think it was.

That show just ended up having such an awesome positive attitude/atmosphere, it was really endearing lol.

I think it also might have one of the, if not the very last shows to animated in 4x3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom