• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

You guys are starting to edge towards the spoiler line, you might want to back off a bit before duckroll's wrath appears.

I was about to post images asking you "which Wrath?" as a FMA joke. Then I realized that it would actually be a spoiler... in both cases. Lol. :(

My Daimyo Can't Be This Cute Oda Nobuna no Yabou 3
m6Kod.jpg

I don't know man, that sounds kinda sexist...
I'd question why monkey boy keeps trying to change history, but I guess the fact that Nobunaga is a girl already changes all that... The fact that it has for the most part followed history pretty closely is crazy as it is.
Not sure why Nobuna decided to mobilize her whole army to help an old guy and chase away a few horses, but I guess it's a nice set up for what looks like will be a action packed next episode. Can't get enough of that jiggly armor.

Branduil

I was about to post images asking you "which Wrath?" as a FMA joke. Then I realized that it would actually be a spoiler... in both cases. Lol. :(

And then you'd have to ban yourself.

Wrath's ending in the original FMA is so awful. LOL I'M A DRAGON.

Jarmel

Banned
Fate/Zero
Durarara
Eden of the East

Someone choose my fate.

My lack of animu watching the past few years is pretty shameful. Back in the day I would have never neglected a new Kamiyama show but I never even watched a single ep of EoE...lol

F/Z without a doubt first.

EotE I'm rather mixed on. It's a decent show that in the movies just putters out. Durarara is solid for the most part but definitely on the slow side.

And then you'd have to ban yourself.

Wrath's ending in the original FMA is so awful. LOL I'M A DRAGON.

Ugh please don't remind me of that.

duckroll

DtB2 is really one of those cases there the tone shifts so much from the original it makes no sense at all to have it as a sequel. It's just so... ridiculous and dumb.

As bad as this sounds, I actually want this. The premise would actually be interesting now.
End of the world and all
Wait what. It might be because my brain spent the last episode having a raging meltdown, but I don't remember it being
the end of the world.
At least, not after
Suo fucked off to Babby Earth.

Dead

well not really...yet
DtB2 is really one of those cases there the tone shifts so much from the original it makes no sense at all to have it as a sequel. It's just so... ridiculous and dumb.
I would love to be a fly on the wall during the meetings about the sequels development...lol. What in the hell could they have possibly been thinking.

Branduil

The worst part of Darker than Black as a franchise is that they establish early on a world that is potentially really interesting and proceed to never answer any of the questions you actually care about. Instead they get lost on boring, esoteric and jargon-filled pseudo-science crap that no one can even understand. It's a waste of a good premise and badass protagonist.

Jarmel

Banned
Wait what. It might be because my brain spent the last episode having a raging meltdown, but I don't remember it being
the end of the world.
At least, not after
Suo fucked off to Babby Earth.

DtBS2
End of the old world. They(as in that god-like entity) have to destroy the old world so everyone can migrate to the new one.

Dead

well not really...yet
The worst part of Darker than Black as a franchise is that they establish early on a world that is potentially really interesting and proceed to never answer any of the questions you actually care about. Instead they get lost on boring, esoteric and jargon-filled pseudo-science crap that no one can even understand. It's a waste of a good premise and badass protagonist.
DTB was a case where i dont think the answers to those questions would have ever been satisfying. I was perfectly fine with just accepting the setting as it was and the creators using it to tell the stories they were telling.

A lot of people like the original DTB, but I feel a lot of the stuff that was good about it isn't talked about that often, and DTB2 lacked pretty much everything that I think made the first season good.

Jarmel

Banned
DTB was a case where i dont think the answers to those questions would have ever been satisfying. I was perfectly fine with just accepting the setting as it was and the creators using it to tell the stories they were telling.

A lot of people like the original DTB, but I feel a lot of the stuff that was good about it isn't talked about that often, and DTB2 lacked pretty much everything that I think made the first season good.

DtB S1 did have a lot of issues that people tend to gloss over. The franchise did tend to follow the Lindeloff School of Writing in which you have a ton of mysteries that you never really address.

It's just that DtB S2 was so bad that people are now nostalgic for S1.

Yea all of this stuff was true for season 1 which did sorta come together near the end but the show as a whole had some serious problems that an editor, I think, would have done wonders.

Branduil

DtBS2
End of the old world. They(as in that god-like entity) have to destroy the old world so everyone can migrate to the new one.

Nah because we see
Misaki, Fake-Golgo, and Flying Squirrel Mao(why?!)
having wacky adventures during the ending scene.

Actually, one of the things I find genuinely funny in s2 was how Misaki was utterly Flanderized. She became such a joke character that I couldn't help but be amused.

Nah because we see
Misaki, Fake-Golgo, and Flying Squirrel Mao(why?!)
having wacky adventures during the ending scene.

Actually, one of the things I find genuinely funny in s2 was how Misaki was utterly Flanderized. She became such a joke character that I couldn't help but be amused.
Wasn't she saving her virginity for Hei? She was probably just desperate by that point.

I'm sure Tiger and Bunny has more mainstream appeal than Wolf Face.

Ookami Kodomo - an intimate tale of child-rearing - is exactly the kind of animated family film that appeals to the crowd who watch Disney/Pixar/Ghibli films. A superhero story, especially one with no tie to an established franchise, is going to necessarily have a less wide-ranging appeal.

Branduil

I never said in Japan. Also, let's wait for it to come out in either territory first.

There is zero chance that a Tiger and Bunny movie will outgross the Hosodapocalypse worldwide. I doubt it's worldwide gross will even come near The Wolf Children's current Japanese gross.

Jex

I really felt the series would have worked just fine as a series of short stories about super-powered people having one off adventures. Minimal world building required.

There is zero chance that a Tiger and Bunny movie will outgross the Hosodapocalypse worldwide. I doubt it's worldwide gross will even come near The Wolf Children's current Japanese gross.

I was actually talking more America, but then I realized neither will do well there.

Hello Anime-gaf, sorry for intruding but could you explain to me your love for F/Z? Are you all Type Moon fanboys?

Urobuchi is a pretty lousy writer and I find the series relies too heavily on his script, not to mention that the Fate mythos is beyond stupid.
Also Ufotable is a pretty mediocre studio, they've got a nice creative touch for aesthetics but completely ignore everything else. Manabi Straight was a complete disaster.
Sure, their shot composition is good but it usually doesn't make sense within the narrative.
Some action scenes were badass but that's about it.

Too many useless angle and long static shots made F/Z very boring. They're certainly not Shaft. Awful pacing, transitions were weird, every character and setting seemed so lifeless and uninteresting...
I thought Aoki could direct dialogues well when I saw Hourou Musuko but man in F/Z it was a whole other story.

I'm only asking because Anime-gaf is the only place I know on the interwebs that proclaim F/Z is an amazing series.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Hello Anime-gaf, sorry for intruding but could you explain to me your love for F/Z? Are you all Type Moon fanboys?

Urobuchi is a pretty lousy writer and I find the series relies too heavily on his script, not to mention that the Fate mythos is beyond stupid.
Also Ufotable is a pretty mediocre studio, they've got a nice creative touch for aesthetics but completely ignore everything else. Manabi Straight was a complete disaster.
Sure, their shot composition is good but it usually doesn't make sense within the narrative.

Too many useless angle and long static shots made F/Z very boring. They're certainly not Shaft. Awful pacing, transitions were weird, every character and setting seemed so lifeless and uninteresting...
I thought Aoki could direct dialogues well when I saw Hourou Musuko but man in F/Z it was a whole other story.

I'm only asking because Anime-gaf is the only place I know on the interwebs that proclaim F/Z is an amazing series.

Only place? Well shit. duckroll, can I have your permission to wage war? For all that is good and right within the anime world I wish to take arms!

Branduil

Well I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

Well, I'm not sure there's much to say here except I disagree that it's poorly directed. The overuse of CGI can certainly be problematic at times, but I think Ufotable has a strong pool of storyboarders, and I think Urobuchi is a good genre writer who understands the how to put characters into situations that will provoke interesting characterization.

I have a hard time believing that.

Don't know where you frequent but most places I've been F/Z has been very well received. It sold very well too so its not like its unpopular in its home country either.

Jarmel

Banned

Is your name by any chance Carlos Santos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom