• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Teaser artwork for the next set of Anime Mirai shorts are up!

http://www.animemirai.jp/

06ENq.png

Trigger's and Madhouse's look neat. The other two, it's hard to tell anything from the artwork, plus the choice of studios gives me pause.

duckroll

Trigger's and Madhouse's look neat. The other two, it's hard to tell anything from the artwork, plus the choice of studios gives me pause.

Actually something really weird is going on here.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-06-06/gonzo-trigger-pierrot-madhouse-make-anime-mirai-2013

Pierrot
Director: Kenji Muto
Producer: Manyo Oshikiri
Title: "TV Kazoku Channel Jacker" (TV Family Channel Hijacker)

This was the announced third Anime Mirai 2013 short back in June.

But it has now been replaced with this: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...ama-eri-kitamura-lead-aruvu-rezuru-anime-cast

Tatsuya Yoshihara (episode director on Sket Dance) will make his full-fledged directing debut on this anime, while Yū Yamaguchi, the author of the original Aruvu Rezuru novel, is writing the script.

I wonder what the rules regarding this Anime Mirai thing is, because Aruvu Rezuru was supposed to be an OVA adaptation, and by all accounts a commercial project...

Branduil

I don't see the relevance of what the rest of the internet thinks, anyway. AnimeGAF is the only trustworthy resource for anime recommendations on the English-speaking web.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I don't see the relevance of what the rest of the internet thinks, anyway. AnimeGAF is the only trustworthy resource for anime recommendations on the English-speaking web.

LOL. Don't believe this guy. AnimeGAF is the last place you come for recommendations. With the exception of a few people.

I really shouldn't bite as it's late but please indulge me. Why do you think Urobuchi is a bad writer?
It is indeed late and I don't write very well. I just dislike how Urobuchi uses "dark" thematics as his selling point. They feel mature and gritty just for the sake of it. The scale of his stories also don't feel right. World ending scenarios but at the same time no real sense of tension. I also think the Holy Grail War is absurdly stupid and nothing can redeem it.

I really loved Madoka though but that's because of Shaft.

But I guess I should at least watch all of it before judging. Also, as shallow as that ANN review is I pretty much agree with it.

Anyway, I've been lurking for some time and Anime-gaf is a great place, carry on now :).

Jarmel

Banned
I'm dying right now. Hahahahahahaha.

I'd like to thank all the Type-Moon superfans for being fairly reasonable so far. I can't reply to everything you guys said about the Type-Moonverse, but I understand better now what their style is all about. For the record, I enjoyed Tsukihime ~decently~ ... although I was just a young-and-upcoming fan at the time who liked everything anyway. I also recall reading the first part of the Kara no Kyoukai novel in Faust, and enjoying the atmosphere although I also felt everyone was just babbling about metaphysical crap. (The Type-Moon trademark!)

Upon further examination of my conscience, I think my incredibly averse reaction to early Fate/Zero is not just the excessive exposition and dialogue, but that it combines elements like magic, battle, complex interwoven plots, and emo self-introspection ... in other words, Pretentious Weeaboo Things that wannabe fantasy authors and OEL manga artists do.

It's just that Type-Moon and Mr. Urobuchi are very talented and successful weeaboos who have figured out how to tap into their target audience's tastes.

Never forget.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It's true. So many are watching Sword Art Online thanks to these ill advised recommendations!

Sword Art Online is a guilty pleasure. I thought we recognized that already.

That includes me right? Right? Riiiight? :(

LOLOLOLOLOL

It is indeed late and I don't write very well. I just dislike how Urobuchi uses "dark" thematics as his selling point. They feel mature and gritty just for the sake of it. The scale of his stories also don't feel right. World ending scenarios but at the same time no real sense of tension. I also think the Holy Grail War is absurdly stupid and nothing can redeem it.

But I guess I should at least watch all of it before judging. Also, as shallow as that ANN review is I pretty much agree with it.

Anyway, I've been lurking for some time and Anime-gaf is a great place, carry on now :).

Well shit. I think I'm gonna do something.

Actually something really weird is going on here.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-06-06/gonzo-trigger-pierrot-madhouse-make-anime-mirai-2013

This was the announced third Anime Mirai 2013 short back in June.

But it has now been replaced with this: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...ama-eri-kitamura-lead-aruvu-rezuru-anime-cast

I wonder what the rules regarding this Anime Mirai thing is, because Aruvu Rezuru was supposed to be an OVA adaptation, and by all accounts a commercial project...

It got downgraded AGAIN!? :/

Dead

well not really...yet

Sweet, Fate/Zero confirmed for awesome. Can't wait to start watching!!

As long as you don't listen to the people who mention School Days.

Yeah something was off, but I had to go do some research on it to make sure.

It's really weird; I thought Anime Mirai was suppose to encourage original anime, so why is it sponsoring a (previously announced, no less!) adaptation. Plus, I would have thought this BOX-AiR problem that Aruvu Rezuru was a part of would be supplying the funding for it. Just what is going on?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
That includes me right? Right? Riiiight? :(

Who was it again that introduced me to Un-Go? I can't quite remember, but if I did, I would warn people against ever taking recommendations from that person.

I don't understand... maybe you can fill me in on something if you know more about this Zexcs project? Thanks.

It was originally supposed to be a series and was going to premiere this season, but then it was silently downgraded to an OVA with no time frame, and now apparently to this.

duckroll

It's really weird; I thought Anime Mirai was suppose to encourage original anime, so why is it sponsoring a (previously announced, no less!) adaptation. Plus, I would have thought this BOX-AiR problem that Aruvu Rezuru was a part of would be supplying the funding for it. Just what is going on?

Right, this doesn't seem to be in the spirit of Anime Mirai at all. On that note, I'm also pretty puzzled by Gonzo's entry. It has bugged me since it was announced. The other studios are putting forth animators or new directors who don't have a lot of experience leading their own projects. But Koichi Chigira? He's a total veteran director in the industry. That seems kinda... dumb.

Right, this doesn't seem to be in the spirit of Anime Mirai at all. On that note, I'm also pretty puzzled by Gonzo's entry. It has bugged me since it was announced. The other studios are putting forth animators or new directors who don't have a lot of experience leading their own projects. But Koichi Chigira? He's a total veteran director in the industry. That seems kinda... dumb.

That's nothing new for Anime Mirai though; Kizuna Ichigeki from the first series of shorts was directed by Mitsuru Hongo, who's also a veteran director.

duckroll

Wait I'm confused, is Aruvu Rezuru now part of Anime Mirai? I'm reading something wrong here.

Yes. Apparently it is according to the official site. Pierrot's short has been dropped for some reason. It's really strange.

That's nothing new for Anime Mirai though; Kizuna Ichigeki from the first series of shorts was directed by Mitsuru Hongo, who's also a veteran director.

I wonder why they do this. It seems like a poor move if the initiative is supposed to give younger talent a chance to shine.

Branduil

LOL. Don't believe this guy. AnimeGAF is the last place you come for recommendations. With the exception of a few people.

It's depressing, but I really think it's true. Probably because we have a few really smart posters here who actually know some things about film criticism, animation, and writing and can properly apply it to anime. I like to pretend I'm one of them but I must admit I often feel humbled by other posters in this thread. A big problem with lots of other forums and blogs is the people on them watch nothing but anime. That's not a recipe for constructive or insightful critiques.

How so? I'd like to see your reasoning behind this srsly.

I personally believe it's because a good portion of the population that inhabit AnimeGAF can clearly articulate their critique. Heck, you'll be hard pressed to identify places that can properly identify the good and bad elements of what they've watched. And if you expect most anime communities to be able to actually explain how those elements affected the show, then you seriously need to reexamine your standards.

This is exactly why more people need to see it in all its glory! I can't fucking wait for the Aku no Hana anime for this very reason!!

I was interested in Aku no Hana due to the premise and director, but if it's another School Days my interest is completely gone.

I wonder why they do this. It seems like a poor move if the initiative is supposed to give younger talent a chance to shine.

I could see the reasoning in letting a veteran oversee and provide guidance for a group of younger staff, though I'm not sure if that happened in this case.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I was interested in Aku no Hana due to the premise and director, but if it's another School Days my interest is completely gone.
Perhaps you should read the manga instead of letting anime gaffers lead you around with vague descriptions and flawed comparisons.

Jarmel

Banned
A big problem with lots of other forums and blogs is the people on them watch nothing but anime. That's not a recipe for constructive or insightful critiques.

Who the fuck would do this to themself? I watch too many anime as it is. I can't imagine watching only anime, I would probably hang myself after a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom