• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I could see the reasoning in letting a veteran oversee and provide guidance for a group of younger staff, though I'm not sure if that happened in this case.

Hmmm, I suppose so. It's "Young Animators Project" anyway, not "Young Directors Project" right? Speaking of which, while checking up on the Aruvu Rezuru stuff, apparently the director is a really young animator who first handled unit direction when he was 21 (that was 1-2 years ago I think).

Narag

Who the fuck would do this to themself? I watch too many anime as it is. I can't imagine watching only anime, I would probably hang myself after a year.

I'm sort of guilty of that this year. I'll expand back into other stuff later but I'm playing a degree of "catch up" currently.

cajunator

Banned
MAL doesn't count :p.

But I haven't seen the entire second half. Does it get that much better? Planes in the first episode were lol.

Holy shit Neogaf Mobile is a steaming pile.

Anyway, Fate Zero was well received enough to move over 40,000 units at $400 per set, and thats just half the series.
I also ended up buying it, and will gladly shell out for the other half.
It was an intriguing series, with a lot of character depth, quality visuals and production, interesting storylines, and an exciting tone. Normally I dont care as much about most of that, but even then, the show still has characters I enjoy like Saber, kirutsugu, Ilya, irisviel, Rider and Waver.
It was highly enjoyable to watch and kept me hooked.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
In the past year I've watched tons of live action such as House, Arrested Development and Sherlock. I'm proud.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It's depressing, but I really think it's true. Probably because we have a few really smart posters here who actually know some things about film criticism, animation, and writing and can properly apply it to anime. I like to pretend I'm one of them but I must admit I often feel humbled by other posters in this thread. A big problem with lots of other forums and blogs is the people on them watch nothing but anime. That's not a recipe for constructive or insightful critiques.

Well that probably explains why I'm dissatisfied with my own ability to articulate my criticisms. I watch virtually no film or television and have no actual experience with serious art criticism.

The amusing thing is that learning about anime criticism has actually caused me to begin to be much more aware of the direction and cinematography in the few live-action programs that I do watch. I was watching that BBC America show Copper with someone the other day and I suddenly began to prattle on about how the outdoor scenes used a lot of close-up shots in order to obscure how small the sets were, to which I received a very annoyed "since when did you become a film critic?".

That's how I feel about it. I hesitate to call it good because it gets pretty stupid at times but it can be fairly entertaining.

It's quickly becoming my second favorite show of this season. Then again, there aren't a whole lot competing for that spot for me at the moment.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
NRKzQ.jpg

Haha, this anime was so bad.
NTHT02-Wat_zps635ea294.jpg

cajunator

Banned
I watch a mix of Tv, movies and anime.
I dont limit myself to anime only.
I will gladly watch,for example, my favorite movies like Twister and Minority Report over and over again. I just love being entertained by whatever catches my interest.
I do admit that I dont watch tv nearly as much as the other two mediums.

Aku no Hana is genuinely good. Really don't see the comparisons here. Excited for the anime, the director / source material means I'll be there day 31.

I trust you.

Hmmm, I suppose so. It's "Young Animators Project" anyway, not "Young Directors Project" right? Speaking of which, while checking up on the Aruvu Rezuru stuff, apparently the director is a really young animator who first handled unit direction when he was 21 (that was 1-2 years ago I think).

It's not "Young Animators Project" anymore! But yeah, if Anime Mirai's goal is to provide opportunities for young workers in the industry than this certainly fits.

Well that probably explains why I'm dissatisfied with my own ability to articulate my criticisms. I watch virtually no film or television and have no actual experience with serious art criticism.

The amusing thing is that learning about anime criticism has actually caused me to begin to be much more aware of the direction and cinematography in the few live-action programs that I do watch. I was watching that BBC America show Copper with someone the other day and I suddenly began to prattle on about how the outdoor scenes used a lot of close-up shots in order to obscure how small the sets were, to which I received a very annoyed "since when did you become a film critic?".

I can sympathize; the time I've spent honing my critical abilities in here have made me a more discerning viewer of film in general.

cajunator

Banned
I dont watch many tv shows that arent on history channel, nfl, or discovery/tlc so I cant comment on Breaking Bad or Mad men.
I did enjoy the fuck out of Firefly and own it on Bluray.
I enjoyed Treme so far, with the relevance to my state and New Orleans.
Other than that I dont follow Tv runs.

Uchip

Banned
I dont watch many tv shows that arent on history channel, nfl, or discovery/tlc so I cant comment on Breaking Bad or Mad men.
I did enjoy the fuck out of Firefly and own it on Bluray.
I enjoyed Treme so far, with the relevance to my state and New Orleans.
Other than that I dont follow Tv runs.

Firefly is great
Breaking Bad is good too but its a bit slow for me at times (its still 10x better than any recent anime)

Psycho-Pass expanded cast: Tomokazu Seki, Kana Hanazawa, Kenji Nomura, Kinryuu Arimoto, Akira Ishida, Shizuka Itou, Miyuki Sawashiro.

Psycho-Pass animation designs:

Brown-haired girl still kind of looks like Tsuna's mom, but other than that, the Amano-ness is completely gone.

Jarmel

Banned
I will say this, the art in the first scan makes the MC look like a younger version of Spike from Cowboy Bebop.

Brown-haired girl still kind of looks like Tsuna's mom, but other than that, the Amano-ness is completely gone.

The designs got whacked hard with an ugly stick.

Soma

Psycho-Pass expanded cast: Tomokazu Seki, Kana Hanazawa, Kenji Nomura, Kinryuu Arimoto, Akira Ishida, Shizuka Itou, Miyuki Sawashiro.

Psycho-Pass animation designs:

Girl looks kinda whatever but the other designs are looking pretty solid to me.

Can't wait to see it in motion.

Jarmel

Banned
Look same. WTF you talking?

Before you said GC's concept and anime was similar but this isn't? wow.

Protips, if its looks like Reborn's chara its a success.

The gap between this and the original designs are vastly larger than that of GC's concept art and actual character animations. There is no way you could put that on the same level.

Branduil

That second picture really does make it look like a reverse harem anime. You have a bland and timid girl who can serve as a self-insert surrounded by three archetypal male characters who have had a lot more thought put into their designs.

duckroll

More seiyuu news for upcoming stuff:

Kyoto Animation's Crazy girl show finally has a VA for the male lead character. it's Jun Fukuyama! They went right for Lelouch... lol.

Nerawareta Gakuen also has more cast announcements: Kana Hanazawa and Daisuke Ono are also part of the cast. Why is Hanazawa in everything lately... meh.

Jarmel

Banned
More seiyuu news for upcoming stuff:

Kyoto Animation's Crazy girl show finally has a VA for the male lead character. it's Jun Fukuyama! They went right for Lelouch... lol.

Ok that's awesome.

Going back to the Psycho scans, the art doesn't even look consistent. The first one looks leagues better and much closer to the concept sketches. Second one looks like garbage. I mean the physical characteristics for the MC are off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom