• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upotte! 1

So umm... ummm.... "subtext"? "innuendos"? Like... what?

Making weird ass metaphors for fapping/schlicking? And they're... anthropomorphic guns?

What? I don't understand, I thought them being guns was a metaphor but it isn't, I don't understand.

They even have weird names that I probably won't ever recall D:

Their names are guns, you will learn them. They have specific history lessons in most of the episodes.
Plus they come up with nicknames for them anyways.

Novid

Banned
That's four!

Well, I'll address this all in one post.

BBC needs to sell to PBS and BBC America. That's just the old model sticking around - in the same way that Australians used to be the biggest TV pirates in the world because it took so long for American shows to get bought by local networks and the studios make more money licensing to the networks than if they sold the shows directly to people.

It will take a fundamental shift in how we view global markets, but I don't know if we'll ever get there. We still have Bluray regions. We still have region locked Nintendo consoles. We still have region specific iTunes stores. Hell, even Steam is different depending on which country you live in, with people in Germany not able to buy certain games because of content laws. Media companies, for whatever reason, want to lock everything down to protect their local fiefdoms. It just depends on how long they will continue to try to struggle against the growing trend of globalization.

see, I agree with that. PBS however... is fascistically stupid. BBC America (Lionheart TV or what have you) has kept the new series of Doctor Who alive MUCH, MUCH longer than it had to. But then again...there is that 6 month rule.

The US TV Industry has kept bad old traditions alive and let the good ones die. That's why IMO there is no such thing as "Conservatism" or "Conservative Media" only "Religious Media" and "Right Wing Media" as the Liberals correctly make the point. The greatest lie Fox News made was that the was a Liberal bias, no there was not - their is a "Religious Bias" that became a "Right Wing Bias" because even when the networks talked about these things there was always a sense that the media wasn't biased towards the main two religious Christian denominations. This changed in the 1990's and that's where we have that problem.

But, Ironically - we still edit shows based on the same models that Fox News say most of the media is against. So its all a bald faced lie. And if people really knew the history of how Roger Ailes sees minorities, from the way Rupert Murdock views them, that's one of the reasons they don't really Talk that much.

Gvaz

Banned
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is finished until they release the dvds.

Now how do I fill this void in my heart? I have to find out what happens!

wonzo

Banned
Donyatsu 2

donyatsu2.jpg

This reminds me of a certain seminal manga by the great Machino Henmaru.

Jintor

Everybody with a Watamote avatar is beginning to blur in my head. Like it'd be easier if it was different characters from the show, but there are like, six guys with this same scary faced girl for their avatar and I'm feeling like Ace from 999.

THPOILERTHS

Theonik

Armored Trooper VOTOMS 31
This arc is moving at the speed of strawberry jam. Also depressed Chirico is terrible to watch. Still some good action on this episode so I can't say I'm bored or anything.
Preview implies answers so hopefully things should start moving again.

7Th

I always saw him professing admiration for AKIRA on his profile, but didn't remember the 'pattun' hair-style part... I like his taste! Hoping KILL la KILL leaves him again with enough time for some more MCZ illustrations...

He actually said recently that he won't have any time for MomoClo art until 2014. ;_;

Straight bangs everywhere on this series, the perils of leaving character design to Sushio!

Don't forget "lesushioface.jpg":

tumblr_mqkn85dRBt1r7c87xo1_500.png
tumblr_mqkn85dRBt1r7c87xo3_250.png
tumblr_mqkn85dRBt1r7c87xo2_250.jpg

Accel World 16 (engdub)
iwqm6zv6bPwad.gif

Incarnation system is still the best system, always remember override reality. Sky Laker had a good eng voice.

Fate/Zero 16 (engdub, NA)

Lancer is treated so bad, all the verbal abuse
and then cheaply offed like that. His VA's best performance in this anime yet

Love Lab - 3-4
Not a fan of the drama that that set up the group being together, but episode 4 was much snappier and enjoyable. The lingerie song was great.

Silver Spoon - 2-3
Ya know, I don't think the show excels in any particular department yet there's something about it that I find very pleasant. I think it's beginning to find its groove despite its jokes still falling flat.

Uchouten Kazoku - 3-4
Both episodes were very good. Even a japanese festival is taken to new heights when the fantastical elements come into play. While the writing and characters receive well deserved praise, the storyboarding continues to shine as well. I loved the brief visual of the parlor taking off like a rocket ship with the trees and grass blowing around it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 10

0BuHZJO.jpg

What happens when your chalk aim isn't as good as Seki's.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 11

6gNpbY6.jpg

Speaks for itself.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 12

kVBmsEQ.jpg

Doremi finally figures it out. Great school trip mini-arc.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 13

2POkIb2.jpg

1GBWEHi.jpg

We're back to that place. "Ecchi."

Shergal

Gatchaman 4
I don't know if I can handle this for much longer. The episode felt disjointed and awkward, failing to establish a solid tone in almost every scene (salvaging the very short action bit). The storyboarding was flat-out bad, with characters popping up out of nowhere, no sense of visual communication and weird editing. There was a disproportionately large number of long shots, almost all of which were detrimental to the quality of the episode, but I guess they had to be there due to budgetary concerns.

The art and animation were not as bad as in the previous episode, but it's still actively hampering my enjoyment of the show. It really baffles me, but I'm just going to blame it on Tatsunoko :p.

The script was kinda tiresome, and there was quite a bit of unnatural exposition and uncalled references (
the whole conversation between OD and Paiman was pretty bad, with the two mentioning to each other things they already know directly for the purpose of... who knows? They were clearly talking to the viewer.
).
I'm liking the overall story and the base thematics of social media and how society at large copes with them are something quite fresh for anime, but if the execution is so bad I don't really care to know more. I'll give it one more episode.

;__;

Gatchman Crowds 04

A weird episode. Cutting away from the action wasn't the best of thing to watch and everything kinda just went here and there without really feeling like anything was really connected.

I mean some of the individual parts of the episode was interesting but as a whole it didn't really flow all that well together.

Oh right, at least we still have that FABULOUS Mamoru Miyano voice.

Kurenai 12 - End

I wasn't expecting that car chase. Pretty wild.

This wrapped things up nicely. The action provided for a suitable climax, and the Kouhouin plot came to a satisfying conclusion.
I appreciated that Murasaki found a balance between rejecting the Inner Sanctuary and not rejecting her family. Her parting with Kurenai and reconciling talk with her father were sweet.

The two Kouhouin characters who were introduced in the last couple episodes weren't particularly interesting, especially as compared to the fascinatingly conflicted Renjou, but they allowed for some cool fights so I can't complain too much.

And the end, when Kurenai sent his texts to the other people in his life, it made me think how he's got the perfect setup for a harem, with all the main people he interacts with being females with varying degrees of interest in him. Not particularly surprising for an LN. I'm glad the show avoided going down that route for the most part.
It walked a dangerous road with the relationship between Kurenai and Murasaki, but avoided crossing the line into something untoward.

Overall, a pleasant show. The highlight was easily the conversations, Matsuo's pre-recording creating lively banter and accentuating certain dramatic dialogues. I'd like to spend more time hanging out with the people in Samidare. The script was good when it came to this back and forth, and in setting up key backstory and characterization, but I wish it could have given a little more substance to the platitudes about strength and protection it offered. (As I think about it now, the best exploration of these staples of shounen manga I've seen is One Piece Movie 6.) There was some iffy character art in the middle episodes, but overall a well produced show. The action was well choreographed and animated throughout, and the art design was superb. I'm glad I watched it.

Gatchaman 4
I don't know if I can handle this for much longer. The episode felt disjointed and awkward, failing to establish a solid tone in almost every scene (salvaging the very short action bit). The storyboarding was flat-out bad, with characters popping up out of nowhere, no sense of visual communication and weird editing. There was a disproportionately large number of long shots, almost all of which were detrimental to the quality of the episode, but I guess they had to be there due to budgetary concerns.

Kenji Nakamura's biggest flaw as a director has always been his tendency towards angular, obtuse direction that lacks flow. I felt like Tsuritama was his best work in avoiding that problem, so it's unfortunate that the same team doesn't seem able to replicate its success.

The art and animation were not as bad as in the previous episode, but it's still actively hampering my enjoyment of the show. It really baffles me, but I'm just going to blame it on Tatsunoko :p.

Tatsunoko has made some nice looking stuff lately, such as Muromi-san and Yozakura Quartet, so I don't think it's fair to blame the studio here.

Here lies Love Lab, 2013-2013

;_;

Picking this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom