• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

The more Love Lab manages to infuriate the Yuri fans the better.

ipFibiIDn4HAJ.gif

Quasar

That's just the old model sticking around - in the same way that Australians used to be the biggest TV pirates in the world because it took so long for American shows to get bought by local networks and the studios make more money licensing to the networks than if they sold the shows directly to people.

I'm not sure how much that has changed. I think we are still right up there. Certainly thats true of GoT. I do wonder how much Australia not having a history of cable (and thus never actually paying for TV shows aside from on disc/tape) and expecting everything on broadcast TV impacts piracy habits.

And certainly even now I know folks who see bittorrenting of shows as no different to DVRing shows or getting tapes of shows from friends. Which of course reminds me of ye old days where I paid for folks in the US send me VHS tapes of Babylon5 as their aired when it was on TV in the US (and not in Australia).

Shergal

Kenji Nakamura's biggest flaw as a director has always been his tendency towards angular, obtuse direction that lacks flow. I felt like Tsuritama was his best work in avoiding that problem, so it's unfortunate that the same team doesn't seem able to replicate its success.
That can work to his advantage, for example the Bakeneko arc from Ayakashi is extremely unrestrained yet it's probably his best work. The fast cuts and surreal space forwarded by the editing created a kind of tension that hinged purely in the construction, rather than the dramatic aspects, and as the story progressed and things were revealed to us, I found myself more and more immersed in the situation. It also had its basics well-covered, and it came down to a matter of preference for his style, I think.

This episode of Gatchaman Crowds was just amateur. Have you watched it? I don't think it has to do with an obsession of Nakamura, but rather with the production being rushed and cheap. It was also storyboarded by Mamoru Kurosawa, who appears to be rather new to storyboarding and not very remarkable at it (he did episodes 6 and 11 of From the new world, for a reference). I didn't feel the direction was obtuse, it was just weak and uninspired.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Love Lab - 05

leqBk4q.png
bkpDA8Y.png

Yuri switch: ON!

F3Tqk8C.gif

New Ship found! Praise the garden!

Funnier episode than the last, that's for sure. Here's hoping Maki crossdresses more often, would love to see Enomoto falling head over heels for her rival.

*prays at shrine for a doujin*

Here lies Love Lab, 2013-2013

;_;

FML.

At least Kiniro Mosaic won't be tainted by males. #Purity #ProtectTheGarden

Novid

Banned
I'm not sure how much that has changed. I think we are still right up there. Certainly thats true of GoT. I do wonder how much Australia not having a history of cable (and thus never actually paying for TV shows aside from on disc/tape) and expecting everything on broadcast TV impacts piracy habits.

And certainly even now I know folks who see bittorrenting of shows as no different to DVRing shows or getting tapes of shows from friends. Which of course reminds me of ye old days where I paid for folks in the US send me VHS tapes of Babylon5 as their aired when it was on TV in the US (and not in Australia).

What they need to do is that they do in Revolution: Sky has BOUGHT two seasons of the show even if NBC cancels. The International channels need to do the same for the American series they want to air. That way they can air the show a month to at least 3 weeks. Or what they did in Touch's First Season - Air the SHOW on a zero day basis (which means Sky airs the show in 5 to 10 hours from Fox's airing). We have ways to solve these fucking problems.

We have solutions plaguing every single problem in this industry, its just that dudes want to keep the bad traditions that keeps them in power and gives them the most money.

Hoping Love Lab doujin artists at least plays it right with making a majority of it being yuri much like Yuru Yuri.

Of course since these girls are essentially hunting for cock...

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Hoping Love Lab doujin artists at least plays it right with making a majority of it being yuri much like Yuru Yuri.

Of course since these girls are essentially hunting for cock...

Best case scenario is Maki
crossdressing again and getting in on with Enomoto with a strap-on. Win/Win

Dresden

Kurenai 12 - End
And the end, when Kurenai sent his texts to the other people in his life, it made me think how he's got the perfect setup for a harem, with all the main people he interacts with being females with varying degrees of interest in him. Not particularly surprising for an LN. I'm glad the show avoided going down that route for the most part.
It walked a dangerous road with the relationship between Kurenai and Murasaki, but avoided crossing the line into something untoward.

It definitely turns into a harem (or perhaps always was; the anime is a very different beast from the manga, due to Matsuo's influence perhaps). I'm just glad it ended here, because regardless of the differences in material the story inevitably turns in that direction, anyways, especially with Murasaki. There's the OVAs which showcase this distinction pretty well--different artstyle, different vibe, etc. The manga/ln feels like a product of the market it's being produced for.

My recollection of the story is spotty enough that I didn't want to get into the debate earlier in the season (or was it in Spring? can't remember) about how well or not-well the show ended, but I'm glad my initial impression of that ending is somewhat confirmed by your take, at least. It wrapped up well, perhaps at the expense of its strength, in the characters it set up and their interactions.

This episode of Gatchaman Crowds was just amateur. Have you watched it? I don't think it has to do with an obsession of Nakamura, but rather with the production being rushed and cheap. It was also storyboarded by Mamoru Kurosawa, who appears to be rather new to storyboarding and not very remarkable at it (he did episodes 6 and 11 of From the new world, for a reference). I didn't feel the direction was obtuse, it was just weak and uninspired.

I have not kept up with Gatchaman Crowds past the first episode, and due to the impressions here am unlikely to do so. If the production is turning out rushed, I'm pretty sure Nakamura is the primary person to blame for that though.

prism ilya 4

ooh the big budget eps. show really does feel like a less derpy s1 of lyrical nanoha. Tons of beam spamming and dodging.

animeee.PNG

mahouyuri.jpg

most adorable save of the week.
saber.jpg

a new challenger appears! Why are you out of the kitchen???

Narag

Gatchman Crowds 4

• Sugane looks like he has some hero worship going with Jou.
  • That look between Paiman and OD sure was ominous. This side of OD is really nice too. I'd been wondering if he was even human given how low his assignment number was.
  • Glad JJ was brought back up too. Given Berg Katze has a note, I'd been wondering if he's been feeding false info to the G team as their assignments lacked a voiceover that all previous communication had. In the first episode, Hajime just assumed it was JJ which might have been to mislead the audience. JJ actually narrated his entry again this time so the lack of such seems to be really suspect.
  • Glad Utsutsu was addressed some too. Seems like the background members of the Gatchaman team are due to get their development rolling.
  • Rui watching Berg Katze kiss that girl seemed so unnatural. Scene of convenience.
  • I didn't quite get the bar scene. Women were across the bar talking to Jou and it was implied they were all there together or something. Felt like it didn't make sense.
  • Episode felt really lackluster past the slight plot advancement. Editing (?) seemed off.. I didn't even realize the Jou encounter had concluded because of that.
  • I think Jou is going to die nooooooo lol

Gatchaman 4
no sense of visual communication

Hey there's the phrase i needed.

Shergal

Gatchman Crowds 4
  • I think Jou is going to die nooooooo lol

You mean
because of the last scene with the bird setting on fire? Considering his type of character and how he's been set up as Sugane's "mentor" of sorts, and confronting Berg-Katze alone, I think it's way too obvious. I was hoping they didn't do it, but if they follow through with that symbolism at the end it's probably going to happen. I still hope they don't play it straight though.

cajunator

Banned
It's more about tweaking people who watch/drop anime for superficial reasons.

Dont be silly. Nobody ever does that.

Love Lab - 05

F3Tqk8C.gif

New Ship found! Praise the garden!

Funnier episode than the last, that's for sure. Here's hoping Maki crossdresses more often, would love to see Enomoto falling head over heels for her rival.

*prays at shrine for a doujin*

FML.

At least Kiniro Mosaic won't be tainted by males. #Purity #ProtectTheGarden

Being SDBurton is suffering.

prism ilya 4

ooh the big budget eps. show really does feel like a less derpy s1 of lyrical nanoha. Tons of beam spamming and dodging.

animeee.PNG

mahouyuri.jpg

most adorable save of the week.
saber.jpg

a new challenger appears! Why are you out of the kitchen???

M-moe~

Actually this show is better than I was expecting.

Narag

You mean
because of the last scene with the bird setting on fire? Considering his type of character and how he's been set up as Sugane's "mentor" of sorts, and confronting Berg-Katze alone, I think it's way too obvious. I was hoping they didn't do it, but if they follow through with that symbolism at the end it's probably going to happen. I still hope they don't play it straight though.

It'd be a callback to the original series too. If they do go through with it, I hope it's not actual death but a symbolic loss of his power. I think that'd impact Sugane more than actually losing Jou..

OD supposedly not being able to transform and the new info of being defeated by Berg Katze in the past might have a correlation then.

Sailor Moon Rough The Movie

Well that certainly was a 60 minute movie that's for sure. It has the lewd of Rough, on top of having an almost exact rip off of that one alien bozo from the filler arc at the beginning of Rough. And panties. We have our first Ami is a big pervert moment, suggesting that Mamoru is into dudes. Well you might be on to something actually, Ami. I mean he has a fetish for getting penetrated.
Ba dum tish

The movie also gives off more Reisagi vibes, further justifying my position on OTP (if Mamoru didn't exist). There was some pleasant animation going on throughout the movie, and feelings everywhere for Usagi, mostly from Mamoru and Rei. It really does have oodles of Sailor Moon Rough's mechanisms shown through the season and---

Woah woah what? WOAAAAAH! THIS IS CLEARLY A MOTHER FUCKING KIDS MOVIE! YEP YEP! No groping naked girls either! Nope! NOPE! This movie already shits on the vast majority of Precure movies for the sake of nudity, I wish I got this kind of shit in my kids movie. And kids shows....

ANYWAY, I enjoyed this movie in its full lewdery, on top of Ami's first big perv moment and the likes. And more Reisagi moments
I mean she is the first one to hold Usagi at the end
. A prefect way to celebrate moving on to Sailor Moon Sexy/Spinning.

Branduil

Eva 3.333333333...

iXgp5jQJ5deZe.jpg

Pretty sure this was my face during the last half hour.

Oh hey, for a second there during that middle section you almost tricked me into thinking Eva could be good again. Fortunately the absolute mess of nonsense in the last third quickly dispelled that idea. The worst thing the success of Eva ever did to Anno was making him think that pretentiously obtuse jargon equals good writing. It's especially bad in this case because none of this would have happened if someone would have just told Shinji anything at any point. I realize barriers between communication is a core theme of Eva, but it's never been as forced and badly done as it was here.

CorvoSol

Eva 3.333333333...

Oh hey, for a second there during that middle section you almost tricked me into thinking Eva could be good again. Fortunately the absolute mess of nonsense in the last third quickly dispelled that idea. The worst thing the success of Eva ever did to Anno was making him think that pretentiously obtuse jargon equals good writing. It's especially bad in this case because none of this would have happened if someone would have just told Shinji anything at any point. I realize barriers between communication is a core theme of Eva, but it's never been as forced and badly done as it was here.

By middle section you're not referring to that mind-bendingly boring part where
Shinji spends his time with the two boring as hell white haired boring characters doing nothing and sometimes piano,
are you? Cuz I thought that was a little boring.

Branduil

By middle section you're not referring to that mind-bendingly boring part where
Shinji spends his time with the two boring as hell white haired boring characters doing nothing and sometimes piano,
are you? Cuz I thought that was a little boring.

And yet it was still indescribably superior to anything that came before or after it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Ah, I just wasn't sure. I know Australia was #1 back in the mid 2000s, but I wouldn't be surprised if you guys still did it. lol

Here lies Love Lab, 2013-2013
;_;
Thank god!

see, I agree with that. PBS however... is fascistically stupid. BBC America (Lionheart TV or what have you) has kept the new series of Doctor Who alive MUCH, MUCH longer than it had to. But then again...there is that 6 month rule.
The delay is probably one of the most idiotic parts of international licensing. I can't believe people still watch Downton Abby on PBS since it takes a year for the show to get over here. But then again, I suppose that show is for old people.

Dresden

That little stretch of the movie where Shinji
runs away with Rei, running up to (but not including) the piano duet
is the only salvageable thing about 3.33.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon Rough The Movie

Well that certainly was a 60 minute movie that's for sure. It has the lewd of Rough, on top of having an almost exact rip off of that one alien bozo from the filler arc at the beginning of Rough. And panties. We have our first Ami is a big pervert moment, suggesting that Mamoru is into dudes. Well you might be on to something actually, Ami. I mean he has a fetish for getting penetrated.
Ba dum tish

I thought Ami suggested dudes were into Mamoru, as opposed to the other way around?

Unrelated to current anime but I was feeling nostagic and was looking up old Digimon stuff as a lot of it was consumed during my childhood.

250px-TaichiEpilogue1.jpg

Agumon wearing a freaking suit!

Apparently Sora married Matt, some major nonsense. Should have been Tai! Worse than Ron/Hermione

I was tempted to re-watch the Digimon movie but apparently it's awful. It'll go along with Space Jam in the movies I can't watch under fear of ruining my memories :/

Kyousogiga (2012) 4-5

Finally got around to finishing this series. These episodes eschew the antics of the previous two for a more serious character study, and it works out pretty well. I remember the 2011 ONA and to a lesser extent the first episode of the 2012 ONA just confusing me, but here, while it's still not direct, I'm able to get a good sense of the history behind the characters. I feel the bittersweet nature of their past and the hope they yet have for the future. The direction continues to be sharp and creative, particularly the last episode. I always like to see visual storytelling that's confident enough to carry itself in the absence of dialogue. (Though the song was pretty sappy.)

So glad this world is going to be fleshed out even more this fall. A lot of potential remains.

Lurky

Watamote: Episodes 1-4

So far my initial impressions are, "Wow that girl is really really friggin' creepy." I like her. She's almost so creepy that it's cute. The same way that pugs are so ugly that they're almost cute... almost. But what really steals the show is her little brother and her old friend. They are definitely way better characters than she is.

This is one of those shows where it's almost unbearable to watch but at the same time I want more of it. I will keep watching it for sure.

Shergal

Rozen Maiden 5
Still top-notch. The only caveat I have with the series (and it's really minor!) is the way they deform faces for comedic moments. I just don't feel it meshes well with the low-key, contemplative nature of most of the show, and the humour itself doesn't reach me. Everything else is as good as it gets.

The second half of the episode was wonderful. When a simple, self-contained story is well-told, it can be one of the most poignant and satisfying things, because it allows for densely packed, very focused storytelling. And Omata proves himself again by handling the material perfectly.
Simple visual idea, but elegant and extremely effective. I've been paying attention lately to the way different directors deal with re-using layouts, something that quite often is done out of convenience and due to lack of time/budget. If you already have the layout laid down you don't have to craft a different one for other cuts (where applicable), even if a different angle or focus might be better in ideal conditions. But you can also exploit that and integrate it into the flow of the story, like in the above case where it summarizes the interaction of the two characters throughout the flashback, succinctly and without effort. It's not just about being creative, I think Omata is quite resourceful like this, which is a good quality in a storyboarder.

So yeah, everyone should be watching this.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Kirbyguy: The movie was a thematic retelling of the TV show. The similarities were deliberate, as was flowers being in nearly every scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom