• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
RWBY 1-3

I just found about this series two days ago, I haven't kept up with Rooster Teeth since Red vs Blue ended. Anyways checked out the first three episodes and I am pleasantly surprised.

Part of my initial attraction centers around on wishing Rooster Teeth the best success with this, after all they came a long way from the beginning episodes of Red vs Blue. Whoever thought that this group will produce a westernized anime and an enjoyable one at that?

Objectively the series speaks of an amateur level but a pretty damn good amateur level. The action choreography is addictive and soundtrack is godlike. However the show doesn't really shine with its plain animation during non-action scenes (reminds be of Ironman: Armored Adventures which aired on Nick) and its voice actors aren't professionals (though I do enjoy Ruby's VA).

Really heavy interest in this series and if you don't believe my praise on the soundtrack just watch the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYW2GmHB5xs

Rozen Maiden 5
Still top-notch. The only caveat I have with the series (and it's really minor!) is the way they deform faces for comedic moments. I just don't feel it meshes well with the low-key, contemplative nature of most of the show, and the humour itself doesn't reach me. Everything else is as good as it gets.

Yeah, I'd agree that the gag moments are the weakest part of the series (though I do find some of them amusing, like the hair slap in 4), but thankfully they don't intrude in places where they'd spoil the mood. I do like the way they're framed in a panel; I can't think of a show I've seen that's handled gag/SD moments in the same way before.

Simple visual idea, but elegant and extremely effective. I've been paying attention lately to the way different directors deal with re-using layouts, something that quite often is done out of convenience and due to lack of time/budget. If you already have the layout laid down you don't have to craft a different one for other cuts (where applicable), even if a different angle or focus might be better in ideal conditions. But you can also exploit that and integrate it into the flow of the story, like in the above case where it summarizes the interaction of the two characters throughout the flashback, succinctly and without effort. It's not just about being creative, I think Omata is quite resourceful like this, which is a good quality in a storyboarder.

Yeah, I pointed out a similar moment in episode 3 with Jun's phone. Omata never gets lazy with his layouts - he's constantly framing the characters at different angles and distances - so when he does specifically reuse them, there's a deliberate purpose behind it.

So yeah, everyone should be watching this.

Absolutely!

Yeah, the music in RWBY is fantastic, as is the fight choreography, but everything else is so, so jank.

To be honest the only story I'm interested in is the ones alluded to in each of the character's "theme song" which relates back to its amazing soundtrack. But aside from that I'm only interested in the action choreography.

Jarmel

Banned
Gatchaman 3-

I am not feeling this show at all. It feels really poorly directed, visually it's not that interesting, the characters are shallow as a brick and aren't that fun to watch, and there isn't anything exciting with the premise or narrative. I'm giving it one more episode but I'm probably dropping the show. I'm getting C vibes all over this.

The whole thing just feels like a mess.

CorvoSol

And yet it was still indescribably superior to anything that came before or after it.

It was still painstakingly boring.

That little stretch of the movie where Shinji
runs away with Rei, running up to (but not including) the piano duet
is the only salvageable thing about 3.33.

The only salvageable parts of the movie for me were
the opening attack on the satellite Shinji was in, before I knew how downhill this ride was going
and
Shinji's conversation with Fuyutsuki.
I guess also
seeing Asuka beat him to a pulp
was kinda okay but by then it was too late.

iavi

To be honest the only story I'm interested in is the ones alluded to in each of the character's "theme song" which relates back to its amazing soundtrack. But aside from that I'm only interested in the action choreography.

Some of the compositions are up for sale on Itunes or on streaming services like Google Music. It's what I've been doing, tbh.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That little stretch of the movie where Shinji
runs away with Rei, running up to (but not including) the piano duet
is the only salvageable thing about 3.33.
Wat?

The
piano
is the best part.

RWBY 1-3

I just found about this series two days ago, I haven't kept up with Rooster Teeth since Red vs Blue ended. Anyways checked out the first three episodes and I am pleasantly surprised.

Part of my initial attraction centers around on wishing Rooster Teeth the best success with this, after all they came a long way from the beginning episodes of Red vs Blue. Whoever thought that this group will produce a westernized anime and an enjoyable one at that?

Objectively the series speaks of an amateur level but a pretty damn good amateur level. The action choreography is addictive and soundtrack is godlike. However the show doesn't really shine with its plain animation during non-action scenes (reminds be of Ironman: Armored Adventures which aired on Nick) and its voice actors aren't professionals (though I do enjoy Ruby's VA).

Really heavy interest in this series and if you don't believe my praise on the soundtrack just watch the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYW2GmHB5xs

I think nearly everyone here hates the series. Myself, I forgot to go back to watch the second episode. Dope.

Donyatsu 02

BmPDNsVl.jpg

When force is the only option.

Jarmel

Banned
Gatchaman 4-

Unless the later episodes become something spectatcular, this is dropped. The direction is just a mess and feels like it was directed by someone with ADD. None of the scenes are working.

duckroll

Silver Spoon - Episode 4

YAY PIZZA! I loved the episode. Hopefully now non-manga viewers will have a better idea of why the manga is so well regarded, and what the show is "really" about. Hachiken + ambition + resources = fun for everyone.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Silver Spoon - Episode 4

YAY PIZZA! I loved the episode. Hopefully now non-manga viewers will have a better idea of why the manga is so well regarded, and what the show is "really" about. Hachiken + ambition + resources = fun for everyone.

When does he stop pining for horse girl? Episode 5?

I'll be leaving for a week long trip tomorrow, and I need some suggestions for a short series to watch during that time that I might like.

I already have Cat Planet Cuties on my list Hito, you don't have to mention it.

I'll be leaving for a week long trip tomorrow, and I need some suggestions for a short series to watch during that time that I might like.

I already have Cat Planet Cuties on my list Hito, you don't have to mention it.

Well you either hated or already seen what I suggested, Yuyushiki.

Articalys

I was just about to make a post about how I'll be gone for a handful of days too, but now I don't feel special anymore. At any rate, I probably won't be anywhere near as active in this thread once I get back, save for the usual weekly sales. Thankfully there was pretty much nothing new on sale this week so it'll be boring anyway.

CorvoSol

Mega Man Sins 20

Whooooooooooooooo boy, where to begin? Where to begin. Well, so here's this: most of the time, the moment someone meets God or Jesus is supposed to be a solemn, but joyous moment. At least, this is the way I've always envisioned it and heard it.
But since this is Casshern Sins, the first time the team finally meets Luna, she is a selfish, vicious, arrogant and yet markedly unfeeling being who is no more a healer or savior than well, anyone else in this swiftly decaying planet.
So there's that.

And you know, some shows would be content with introducing a former badass who was broken down and on the verge of death and letting them pass at the end of the episode as something of an emotional moment.
But since this is Casshern Sins, Dune's corpse is dragged through several episodes of him basically having the life beaten out of him until at last he is reunited with Luna, who turns out to be an apathetic, amoral jerkass, and then he dies defending her in the ruins of the flower garden he tended for her, which she had discarded. Adding insult to injury, the last thing she says to him is how much she despises him for reeking of death.

There is a very strong air of, I don't know, nihilism in the air. One of the episode's strongest themes (and indeed a recurrent one throughout the show's run) is that there is no reason to build/create/nurture or live because death is certain. That's a huge one they pound on in this episode, and if you're feeling
that all of this is unfair, don't worry, so is Mega Man.

Indeed, there's a readily apparent difference between the two Christ archetypes here. Namely, Luna, who has all the trappings of being the savior who will rescue robotkind from the inevitable ruin brought upon them by a long forgotten transgression and Casshern, who has the scar in his palm, whose flesh is said to save those who eat it, whose death is meant to save the world from this ruin, and so on. Luna is unfeeling, uncaring, and self-centered. Casshern has become utterly selfless, kind and loving, if perhaps too saintly to be considered human. Hell, even the show's devil counterpart, Sigma/Briking Boss comes across more sympathetic in this episode than the alleged Big Good Luna.

The episode itself follows Zero, Ciel, and Alouette, who have at last arrived at what should be Neo Arcadia to see X. Turns out Neo Arcadia
is a dump full of unhealed reploids.
They can't get a hold of the management, but run into Phantom, who doesn't seem as happy as he should to be reunited with his old master.
Bunch of Mavericks show up and Phantom dies an ignoble death, X spitting on his grave before he's even in it. It's a positively heartbreaking scene.
Anyway, the episode concludes thus:
Zero is pissed as hell and confronting X for being the worst Savior since Flit Asuno, Sigma is talking to some old reploid about how he buried his men to remember the cost of his actions, and lastly some mavericks drag a reploid who knows of X's whereabouts before Leviathan, who may or may not be Dr. Weil. Note that Omega is not in the scene.

Things are definitely heating up for the finale.

Jarmel

Banned
Mega Man Sins 20

There is a very strong air of, I don't know, nihilism in the air. One of the episode's strongest themes (and indeed a recurrent one throughout the show's run) is that there is no reason to build/create/nurture or live because death is certain. That's a huge one they pound on in this episode, and if you're feeling
that all of this is unfair, don't worry, so is Mega Man.

This is mainly why I think the show is a forgotten masterpiece as it really nails the atmosphere and really raises some interesting questions about how people react in the face of certain death in a short time frame. What does a person do when the world goes to shit?

Hayate no Gotoku! 36

DwtALSol.jpg

The Spear of Despair.

So, Klaus focused episodes are better than Nagi focused episodes. Even the butler is a better character than you!

CorvoSol

This is mainly why I think the show is a forgotten masterpiece as it really nails the atmosphere and really raises some interesting questions about how people react in the face of certain death in a short time frame. What does a person do when the world goes to shit?

Definitely. The show is a really good study of how people react to the end of the world. The best part is that all that "GOTTA SURVIVE" and "INTER TRIBE MECHANICS" noise that bogs say, The Walking Dead, is gone 'cuz nobody is surviving this. The world itself is dead.

fertygo

Definitely. The show is a really good study of how people react to the end of the world. The best part is that all that "GOTTA SURVIVE" and "INTER TRIBE MECHANICS" noise that bogs say, The Walking Dead, is gone 'cuz nobody is surviving this. The world itself is dead.

I really like CS too, and thinking the ending are awesome.

Sailor Moon Sexy/Spinning 90

Right off the bat with Sexy, Rei is the main character! And she's having nightmares
with everyone dying before her
. Gives us a eerie atmosphere of this season coming up. It even gave us a little Reisagi moment to us. New bad guys make seeds the defile a maiden's pure heart for more power (not creepy subtext at all) to make a Daimon and...

Overpowered everyone like it was nothing...
AND IT FUCKING KILLED REI!
Mysterious Sailor Senshis saved the day without really letting us get a good grasp on who they are, but Rei lives again.

We're off on quite the start in comparison to R, and that is a very good thing.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Sailor Stars] 170
In which Ami saves the day with the power of coaching. I'd watch a spin-off series in which she becomes a basketball manager.

Surprised it took them this long to do the Back to the Future plot. Really shows how all this should have occurred at the end of SuperS, though.
On the other hand, I'm really enjoying the unusual pairings (as well as Neptune's remark on Usagi and Rei's budding yuri).

P.S. I've finally figured out why
Hotaru's
depiction in this show bothers me so much. She's drawn at inconsistent sizes all the time, much like an Evangelion.

Jarmel

Banned

Now that I'm reading The Road, I wonder if the anime captures the same feeling as the book. I watched Casshern before I started to go heavy into this stuff so I might appreciate it more. In both cases, the world itself is dying.

CorvoSol

Megas XLR 112

You know what's better than making Megas throw down with Voltron/Power Rangers? Making Megas throwdown with Mazinger and what is apparently an army of B-to-C-list Super Robot knockoffs!

The part where Megas literally stalks and hunts down the living giant robots inside the nebula is kind of unintenionally super creepy. I really enjoy that Kiva and Jaime never let Coop get away with blaming things on the bad guys, since technically things are almost always his fault, but on the other hand, it isn't that he intends to do horrible things. Coop's just really, really unlucky.

Also the button marked "5 minutes till end of episode" was glorious.

My problems with Casshern Sins are that it gets very repetitive with its imagery, language, and unrelenting oppression, and that the buildup of plot during the first half doesn't find a resolution in the second half, which just peters off to nowhere.

Great visuals though.

Wat?

The
piano
is the best part.

I think nearly everyone here hates the series. Myself, I forgot to go back to watch the second episode. Dope.

I assumed that it would have that majority opinion on here. However Red vs Blue wasn't a masterpiece show either, it only delved into a serious plot during the last half/third of the show.

Like I said its an amateur project and I decided to view it as such not expecting too much from it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He's made more progress in 82 chapters than Ed did in 300, so it's not too bad. He has time!
Dat "fast" pacing.

Yamada and the Seven Witches PV

1XpQ11Xl.jpg

I guess I'll watch this with all the kissing they'll be doing.
Hawt!

I assumed that it would have that majority opinion on here. However Red vs Blue wasn't a masterpiece show either, it only delved into a serious plot during the last half/third of the show.

Like I said its an amateur project and I decided to view it as such not expecting too much from it.
Yeah, I am just expecting more Dead Fantasy out of it.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Megas XLR 112

You know what's better than making Megas throw down with Voltron/Power Rangers? Making Megas throwdown with Mazinger and what is apparently an army of B-to-C-list Super Robot knockoffs!

The part where Megas literally stalks and hunts down the living giant robots inside the nebula is kind of unintenionally super creepy. I really enjoy that Kiva and Jaime never let Coop get away with blaming things on the bad guys, since technically things are almost always his fault, but on the other hand, it isn't that he intends to do horrible things. Coop's just really, really unlucky.

Also the button marked "5 minutes till end of episode" was glorious.

megas has the best buttons ever. the control gags they come up with are fucking awesome every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom