• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sailor Moon Rough 87

Demando gets killed off after realizing he's being tricked after attempting to kiss rape Sailor Moon again. Black Lady has full power now, and will use Gospel Tracks at maximum volume to bring the world on the Soul Train. At least there's plenty of Soul Food to go around.

Oh hay Naru showed up again. She might have a hunch on the Senshi's identities. To this day, there has been two assholes who were assholes until the moment they died.

/XX/

me: "its my birthday, so probably will go out and drink or eat or something"
Damn, the new Love Lab is out, this will have to wait as Birthday type events are to take place.
Guys, say its your birthday directly, I can't cope wih all this subtetly! :p

Happy Birthday to chickdigger802 & Shard!

Before Sushio edited his Twitter profile to just "WORKING HARDER THAN HARD ON KILL LA KILL" it read "I love Maximum the Hormone, MomoClo and girls with pattun hair-style". I wouldn't be surprised if there is another character with such a design in KLK; I say another because Satsuki already has straight bangs.
My personal theory is that the "Mako" girl in the sketch is Satsuki's imouto.
Straight bangs everywhere on this series, the perils of leaving character design to Sushio!

I always saw him professing admiration for AKIRA on his profile, but didn't remember the 'pattun' hair-style part... I like his taste! Hoping KILL la KILL leaves him again with enough time for some more MCZ illustrations...

cajunator

Banned
I miss Free! and Gou this week.

Cute can make any show watchable.

This one is incredibly :cajun
96ca06764b3a96bdf508ffa8e832d1781309977235_full.jpg

yami4ct

Oh, I agree. Anime is ground zero for this stuff, since it really is the only genre of television that has a model of both simulcasting and near instant translation of episodes.

Some people aren't interested, of course, which is why Jdramas will always exist in the black depths of the internet, and some people need to basically sell the rights piecemeal to make back their money. I don't know if that will change without a complete shift away from cable subscriptions and toward the idea of all all content coming through the internet.

Cable companies make way too much money to want to abandon that model... and terrestrial television networks depend on their business models as well.

I think we're getting close in the US at least of having most shows available within a reasonable time frame online. If I can't straight up stream it the next day, like say the Colbert Report, I can at least buy it on iTunes. HBO shows are an exception, but they at least have a good reason for it. The time is closing in, though, where the money they get for offering HBO GO as an available subscription service can make up for the money cable companies would hold back if they did do that. Honestly, HBO is really the last big hold out for availability online at least for US citizens.

The biggest problem I've been having is with overseas stuff. A lot of great live-action stuff from Britain and Japan is either not available for some time (Top Gear, Sherlock) or is just never made available at all outside maybe a few episode DVD release (Game Center CX, Sentai, Kamen Rider, Black Mirror). The fact that BBC stuff is still not made available is especially sad to me. They don't even need to translate it. They could just put it up for sale or put up some subscription service, and I'd buy it.

Gatchman Crowds - 4

The story moves forward and to interesting places, but to be honest, this episode wasn't as good as I hoped. The direction felt weird, with sudden scene changes, and truncated flow. Also, in this episode I noticed much more the production problems (lots of derp faces etc)

The crowds are materialized souls of people, interesting. I wonder if they are concious of their use or for the users it's all invisible. The pillar hold alone enough time, the rope thrown into the air just happened to be aimed accurately, etc. Also, lots of interesting character reveals, the enemy Berg-Katze, O.D and his mysterious forbidden powers, Pai-Pai lost his best friend, Utsu-chan have cloning powers and energy-drain touch, etc.
And is Flame-kun to die already?

Just saw pacific rim ( it was great )

2 anime-related questions however :

1) Attack on titans
Why the heck do they have with walls ? Why do they think that attacked by a giant, creating a wall is the best option ? Are the people in charge dumb on purpose ? It's not like you have to think about it too much a wall doesn't have move , vulnerable to time , vulnerable to any structure defect , not to mention the freaking costs !

Seriously walls are bad, especially when it's used as a defense mecanism against giant creatures !

2) Anime studio retaled question
Give me a freaking side story during the 10 years of the kaiju fight featuring any team you want , as long as it's beautifully animated...

Seriously i want more over the top fights

ps: giant robots are cool

KKK 4
I think I'm the only one watching this at this point. And yeah, the meta humour is still there in a very blaise manner:
oMJBvE5l.jpg

TwExNC8l.jpg

M9YTUHpl.jpg

But something magical happened in the last 5 minutes of the episode. It went from manzai humour to rakugo humour to basically becoming an anime inspired version of the scene from
Space Balls where the characters watch the home video version of the show that they are on
. picture here!

And the big punchline that comes about caught me off guard enough that I actually laughed, which is nigh impossible for me when it comes to TV comedies these days. Good times.
I'm still watching. I enjoy the show.

Branduil

1) Attack on titans
Why the heck do they have with walls ? Why do they think that attacked by a giant, creating a wall is the best option ? Are the people in charge dumb on purpose ? It's not like you have to think about it too much a wall doesn't have move , vulnerable to time , vulnerable to any structure defect , not to mention the freaking costs !

Seriously walls are bad, especially when it's used as a defense mecanism against giant creatures !

Yeah that part of the story really makes no sense at all.

Sailor Moon Rough 88

Well then.... I'm surprised there's one more episode of R left considering how it ended right now. I mean the day is saved thanks to the Sailor Puff Scouts
Chibiusa is no longer sexy, she's back in the future and half the bad guys died.

Weeeeird way to end this, but I guess we'll see what the last episode is aboot.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm still watching. I enjoy the show.
That's four!

I realize firehawk that its very hard to change these trends.

But some of it is because when the leaders of the culture let the "educators" run rough shod. It has become apparent until and unless the culture gets a shock (new economic crisis or so on) not much will change...
Well, I'll address this all in one post.

I think we're getting close in the US at least of having most shows available within a reasonable time frame online. If I can't straight up stream it the next day, like say the Colbert Report, I can at least buy it on iTunes. HBO shows are an exception, but they at least have a good reason for it. The time is closing in, though, where the money they get for offering HBO GO as an available subscription service can make up for the money cable companies would hold back if they did do that. Honestly, HBO is really the last big hold out for availability online at least for US citizens.

The biggest problem I've been having is with overseas stuff. A lot of great live-action stuff from Britain and Japan is either not available for some time (Top Gear, Sherlock) or is just never made available at all outside maybe a few episode DVD release (Game Center CX, Sentai, Kamen Rider, Black Mirror). The fact that BBC stuff is still not made available is especially sad to me. They don't even need to translate it. They could just put it up for sale or put up some subscription service, and I'd buy it.

BBC needs to sell to PBS and BBC America. That's just the old model sticking around - in the same way that Australians used to be the biggest TV pirates in the world because it took so long for American shows to get bought by local networks and the studios make more money licensing to the networks than if they sold the shows directly to people.

It will take a fundamental shift in how we view global markets, but I don't know if we'll ever get there. We still have Bluray regions. We still have region locked Nintendo consoles. We still have region specific iTunes stores. Hell, even Steam is different depending on which country you live in, with people in Germany not able to buy certain games because of content laws. Media companies, for whatever reason, want to lock everything down to protect their local fiefdoms. It just depends on how long they will continue to try to struggle against the growing trend of globalization.

yami4ct

1) Attack on titans

2) Anime studio retaled question
Give me a freaking side story during the 10 years of the kaiju fight featuring any team you want , as long as it's beautifully animated...

Seriously i want more over the top fights

ps: giant robots are cool

To your first point, that's certainly a weak point in the story. I guess I kind of think about it like this.
Humanity is losing. The best hope of an offensive strategy is perceived by the rich and influential as a waste of time. In order to pacify those that the bureaucrats care about, they've built a fortress for them to live in. They clearly don't care about what happens to the poorer people who don't live behind the wall. Just look at what the "shelters" in hong kong were like.

That's four!

Well, I'll address this all in one post.

BBC needs to sell to PBS and BBC America. That's just the old model sticking around - in the same way that Australians used to be the biggest TV pirates in the world because it took so long for American shows to get bought by local networks and the studios make more money licensing to the networks than if they sold the shows directly to people.

It will take a fundamental shift in how we view global markets, but I don't know if we'll ever get there. We still have Bluray regions. We still have region locked Nintendo consoles. We still have region specific iTunes stores. Hell, even Steam is different depending on which country you live in, with people in Germany not able to buy certain games because of content laws. Media companies, for whatever reason, want to lock everything down to protect their local fiefdoms. It just depends on how long they will continue to try to struggle against the growing trend of globalization.

It's going to take a big player making a big move in order to demonstrate to the rest the value of direct sales to global markets. Something like Netflix getting a Game of Thrones level world-wide hit that pushes a major number or subscriptions or HBO opening up GO to the world through an online subscription. I think both are possible, but not for quite some time. We're talking 5 years out at the very least.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gatachaman Crowds Episode 4: It is astounding how much is compacted into each episode of this series as we have learned the true nature of the CROWDS, the intentions of Rui and Berg-Katze, the grips that GALAX is asserting over the populace and we learn a thing or two about OD and Utsu. Indeed seems like a real confrontation is brewing for the next episode, of which survivability is in doubt.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Make it five people that are watching. I actually really like Going Home Club.

Besides that, I'm only watching c3, Monogatari 2nd season and Watamote, so I'm catching up on spring anime.

Man why did I not watch SNAFU and Hentai Prince as they aired. So good.
Hachiman is the hero we need!

Sailor Moon Rough 89 END

I KNEW THERE WAS SOMETHING OFF! ITS A FUCKING RECAP EPISODE! WITH NEW SCENES.

Anyway, Sailor Moon Rough was certainly rough for some time, especially at the beginning with its filler arc, and Mamoru being a douchebag didn't really help it as well.

Although once we started dealing with
faceturning
the quality for R has risen and made the rest of the ride rather enjoyable. There was a shit ton of panties to scope out on top of leotard peeks that makes this season very lewd in showing off goods, although it's odd that CHibiUnitedStatesofAmerica got the brunt of them.

Anyway, Minako certainly got a raise in points for her nursing episode, and everyone else stayed the same. We have the movie the watch and then we start Sailor Moon Sexy/Spinning!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Sailor Moon Rough 89 END

I KNEW THERE WAS SOMETHING OFF! ITS A FUCKING RECAP EPISODE! WITH NEW SCENES.

Anyway, Sailor Moon Rough was certainly rough for some time, especially at the beginning with its filler arc, and Mamoru being a douchebag didn't really help it as well.

Although once we started dealing with
faceturning
the quality for R has risen and made the rest of the ride rather enjoyable. There was a shit ton of panties to scope out on top of leotard peeks that makes this season very lewd in showing off goods, although it's odd that CHibiUnitedStatesofAmerica got the brunt of them.
It's that blue dress. It produces pantyshots even when the camera is above her waist.

Anyway, Minako certainly got a raise in points for her nursing episode, and everyone else stayed the same. We have the movie the watch and then we start Sailor Moon Sexy/Spinning!
Minako's HAX Meter is now full. Brace yourself.

Oh, and you're now in pure Ikuhara territory.

Jex

I'm much closer to writing a lengthy review of Cowboy Bebop episode 1 than any anime currently airing. That makes me feel like a bad guy, especially when there's so many good shows this season.

yami4ct

I'm much closer to writing a lengthy review of Cowboy Bebop episode 1 than any anime currently airing. That makes me feel like a bad guy, especially when there's so many good shows this season.

Given the sheer amazing that is Bebop, I can't really blame you. It's so good I want to write crazy long reviews every time I watch it again.

Mr.Jeff

Since I am almost done with Utena, I need help deciding which anime series to watch next. I have four:

Soul Eater, Hajime No Ippo, Twelve Kingdoms, and Kaiji.

Which one should I watch next, Gaf?!
Twelve Kingdoms then Ippo. Don't bother with Soul Eater

Happy birthday Chickdigger and Shard. This month will be a month of birthdays it seems; another (confirmed) 7 in August.

cajunator

Banned
Novid posts aren't the same without the Thundercats avatar.

Not true. Novid posts are SPECIAL no matter what avatar he uses.

Sailor Moon Rough 85

Stupid sexy Chibiusa

And now she's a Black Lady, I don't think that's how it works, Japan. Actually, I think this is the subtext
Wiseman corrupted her, and blossomed her into a woman, yeah that's totally not creepy subtext. She's not very pure though considering how many times we see her panties.

Black Lady is one of the first anime characters I tried to draw, along with Utena and Sailor V.

Yep, Bartender is exactly what I had in mind when asking about it. Sucks to hear that.

Her too. she plays a great foil to Mitty. I'm honestly surprised at how well the characters are structured out here.

She really does. and her voice. Oh my god THAT VOICE.

The thing about birthdays....

i always get emails from forums that i've visited in years lol.

wonder what to do after work tomorrow/tonight w/e time zone ya at.

23 isn't really anything special... i guess 2 more years until i can rent cars?

Post pics of stuff i'd enjoy to celebrate!

Sorry I have been kind of out of it lately.
Happy birthday dude *hugs Cdig
Dont post any silly gifs ok?

I think it's time for Rozen Maiden to get an OT thread.

It deserves one.

CorvoSol

Everybody with a Watamote avatar is beginning to blur in my head. Like it'd be easier if it was different characters from the show, but there are like, six guys with this same scary faced girl for their avatar and I'm feeling like Ace from 999.

Upotte! 1

So umm... ummm.... "subtext"? "innuendos"? Like... what?

Making weird ass metaphors for fapping/schlicking? And they're... anthropomorphic guns?

What? I don't understand, I thought them being guns was a metaphor but it isn't, I don't understand.

They even have weird names that I probably won't ever recall D:

iavi

Justdoit.gif

There aren't many shows as fun to overanalyze as Cowboy Bebop. For all it's approachability, it's damn subtle about many of its conveyances. The perfect storm, IMO.

She really does. and her voice. Oh my god THAT VOICE.

Yeah, the voice is kinda orgasmic, everyone's is, truth be told. The VA is top notch, and actually the core reason I hope this adaptation ties everything up (long shot, I know, but they're moving FAST). The manga wouldn't be the same experience at all.

cajunator

Banned
Upotte! 1

Making weird ass metaphors for fapping/schlicking? And they're... anthropomorphic guns?

What? I don't understand, I thought them being guns was a metaphor but it isn't, I don't understand.

FNC is the cutest one and the best.
F4z6bKH.jpg

Theonik

Upotte! 1

It's also a Xebec show so it has some interesting "LOL LOOK AT US MAKING REFERENCES" humour. (same season as Nyaruko to boot)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I've had it on my to perhaps buy later list on Amazon for a while so I guess I could buy it soon. Still doesn't answer my question on whether Galaxy Express 999 in worth watching.

Happy birthday chickdigger!

Majestic Prince Episode 17 – Defensive Battle at Cosmopolitan Academy

Pretty good episode though
unbelievable how Klein survived, what even, the Ceres laser or whatever was hyped up to be some amazing weapon that even left a huge mark on the landscape and he got out unscathed. Their technology must be several generations superior.

Theonik

Well I've had it on my to perhaps buy later list on Amazon for a while so I guess I could buy it soon. Still doesn't answer my question on whether Galaxy Express 999 in worth watching.
Yuru Yuri makes a reference to it so you're pretty much obliged to watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom