• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

I don't know if it's an attempt to please the audience per se, as much as simply an attempt to translate the visual language of manga onto the screen. These kind of moments probably do play better in Japan, though. I've had several non-anime fans tell me that comedic deformations are one of the things they dislike about the medium as a whole.

Aside from the general level of ugly in Jormungand, I found comic deformation/anime faces to be really intrusive. I've no idea how rough it is in Rozen Maiden though.

Compare the regular expressive designs:

dadZ3YVl.jpg

to

I've also no real idea why this still bothers me. :lol Guess I was hoping the show just wouldn't need that sort of crutch.

Or does Academy City have better health care than America?
lol. But really, you're thinking too much about this. It's just a dumb setting from a LN.
It just feels like all this Index crap ruined Railgun because it is so much nonsense.
I don't think you can really separate the Sisters arc as "Index crap" when it's pretty central to Misaka and Railgun.

Railgun S - 17

Superb episode ..
New opening is much better than the first and this episode was quite good on all front ..railgun is finally back on their regular antics !!

Toaru_Kagaku_no_Railgun_S_-_17_02.jpg

Tokiwadai cast is back ...yeaaaah

Now they are clearly setting things up for future events in this episode but they didn't forget to bring somethings for the fun.
Toaru_Kagaku_no_Railgun_S_-_17_01.jpg

Ah frenda :)

Dat familly restaurant scene :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
lol. But really, you're thinking too much about this. It's just a dumb setting from a LN.
I don't think you can really separate the Sister's arc as "Index crap" when it's pretty central to Misaka and Railgun.
Yeah. The sisters arc is central to Misaka.

I know, but that doesn't man it isn't nonsense. The whole Level Upper thing from S1 was at least internally consistent and effected the entire city. Here you have shit blowing up and thousands of people dying and no one notices?

It's a Republican's wet dream.

Gvaz

Banned
Unrelated to current anime but I was feeling nostagic and was looking up old Digimon stuff as a lot of it was consumed during my childhood.

250px-TaichiEpilogue1.jpg

Agumon wearing a freaking suit!

Apparently Sora married Matt, some major nonsense. Should have been Tai! Worse than Ron/Hermione

I was tempted to re-watch the Digimon movie but apparently it's awful. It'll go along with Space Jam in the movies I can't watch under fear of ruining my memories :/

Digimon movie owns, you hater.

Railgun 17

gmLlgBNl.jpg

Not quite shark fin, but because of that stupid Asian Girlz video, I couldn't help but snicker at this ingredient.

I need Index loremaster dresden to explain what the shit is going on though.
i'll try in the meantime
Who the heck is funding the support of the billion Misaka clones? Or does Academy City have better health care than America?
There aren't that many clones. They planned to make 20000 clones , made over 10000 , most of them killed by accelerator. Don't forget that they were being made according to the various needs ( the project speed ) over the course of 2 years.
If this wasn't obvious enough in index S2 , the doctor misaka talked to is a big shot ..i don't want to spoiler who he is really but he can afford to support the sisters needs.
Why hasn't the sudden appearance of thousands of clones mattered to anyone? What about the people running the Accelerator program in the first place?
They manipulated information and made the fights occur in places where nobody was. To the common populace it was a student dressed like a student , to tokiwadai students it was an impossible to aproch oujo-sama from affar, to friends it was someone who looked like misaka..

All the people running into the program were terminated ( but nobody found out , the planning was that good , that's why when touma interfere acellerator says : "what happens now ?" ( that a civilian is involved )).
Which is also related to how the heck are those mercenaries still around having wacky boob-grabbing antics at Wagnaria/a family restaurant?
Sorry we tried to murder you, killed some scientist, and tried to kill thousands of clones while working for this secret organization. But see you later!
Meltdowner doesn't care about the sisters program , she just wanted a match against railgun , the familly restaurant wasn't the place to do it.Beside the work she does with frenda as ITEM is the dark face of the city , it doesn't change that they are living in it. As for the tension between the group ,misaka doesn't care , frenda can't do shit against misaka even if she wanted to. For the time being they had no reason to fight.
It just feels like all this Index crap ruined Railgun because it is so much nonsense. lol
Except that the sisters & misaka are 100% railgun stuff , ITEM included.

I know, but that doesn't man it isn't nonsense. The whole Level Upper thing from S1 was at least internally consistent and effected the entire city. Here you have shit blowing up and thousands of people dying and no one notices?

It's a Republican's wet dream.

Information in the academy city is tightly controlled. People noticed the thing blowing up ( in touma fight for example ) but that was reported as something else.
And no nobody noticed the accelerator fights , that's why there was a money card thing that the e other scientist tried but even then it was no use.
Heck when touma called the cops , the thing was already cleaned & erased.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It *involves* Railgun, but if you are going to make a 16 episode arc about it, you'd think they'd have answers in place to make all of that stuff make sense. The follow up/denoument doesn't really satisfy in terms of its plot, so I almost wondered why they even bothered to bring any of that stuff up in the first place.

They could have just cut out the entire bit with the mercenaries, for example, because other than boob-grabbing fanservice, it just opened up more questions that I assume they aren't interested in answering.

And anyway, giant super computers in orbit are blowing up, buildings are blowing up, the wind turbines in the entire city apparently stopped during that big climatic fight, not to mention the entire docks area was fucked up, and in a society where everyone is connected and has super powers, no one notices this stuff?

I know, I know, this is like complaining about how Superman
apparently nukes Metropolis in Man of Steel.
lol

Stuart444

i'll try in the meantime

There aren't that many clones. They planned to make 20000 clones , made over 10000 , most of them killed by accelerator.

They didn't plan to make 20,000 clones, they DID make 20,000 clones last I checked... well actually 20,001 clones. Index spoilers:
That last clone being Last Order with the serial number for her being 20,001

If they went in order ie clone 1 is serial number 1, clone 2 is 2, etc then it stands to reason that with the one in the spoiler tags having the serial number 20,001 that there would be still just under 10,000 clones.

At least that's how I've figured it ever since I watched Index originally.

They didn't plan to make 20,000 clones, they DID make 20,000 clones last I checked... well actually 20,001 clones. Index spoilers:
That last clone being Last Order with the serial number for her being 20,001

If they went in order ie clone 1 is serial number 1, clone 2 is 2, etc then it stands to reason that with the one in the spoiler tags having the serial number 20,001 that there would be still just under 10,000 clones.

At least that's how I've figured it ever since I watched Index originally.

You're right , i should have worded it better .. the point is that there are less clones than he thinks.

A little less than 10k

Also a big majority of them are not treated in academy city

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I suppose the other thing is that there seems to be zero accountability.

I assume that they won't go full Nuremberg in a light novel series about a guy punching nuns, but you'd think they'd show someone getting taken out back and put into "early retirement" or something.

Jarmel

Banned
From what I understand most people's problems with Cashern Sins stem from the overt repetition of the themes, tone, imagery etc. Once you've seen a handful of episodes of the show you've pretty much seen all it has to offer.

I really would have to rewatch this but I think the repetition of the tone does help the atmosphere. The show is supposed to be unrelentingly dark and it sticks to that. I do think the show might have been more effective at just 13 episodes but that's neither here nor there. I also thought the imagery tied into the deadness of the world.

It *involves* Railgun, but if you are going to make a 16 episode arc about it, you'd think they'd have answers in place to make all of that stuff make sense. The follow up/denoument doesn't really satisfy in terms of its plot, so I almost wondered why they even bothered to bring any of that stuff up in the first place.

They could have just cut out the entire bit with the mercenaries, for example, because other than boob-grabbing fanservice, it just opened up more questions that I assume they aren't interested in answering.

And anyway, giant super computers in orbit are blowing up, buildings are blowing up, the wind turbines in the entire city apparently stopped during that big climatic fight, not to mention the entire docks area was fucked up, and in a society where everyone is connected and has super powers, no one notices this stuff?

I know, I know, this is like complaining about how Superman
apparently nukes Metropolis in Man of Steel.
lol

This part with item didn't happen in Index , this is in railgun as the first appearance of ITEM ( the mercenaries ) they will be back ( later )

I'm pretty sure the scientists know that their requests aren't processed by tre diagram ( the giant computer in orbit ) the populace doesn't know and are still receiving the weather updates and stuff. The buildings blowing up was also part of a cover-up it's not that hard to hide.

i'm pretty sure that like the bridge, like the electrical plant ( both in S1 ) , like other places the fact that they were disabled/destriucted was made public without letting the populace know the details.

Jex

I don't know if it's an attempt to please the audience per se, as much as simply an attempt to translate the visual language of manga onto the screen. These kind of moments probably do play better in Japan, though. I've had several non-anime fans tell me that comedic deformations are one of the things they dislike about the medium as a whole.

There's a few points in there. Firstly, I agree that it's presumably an attempt to translate the visual lanuage of manga onto the screen but when you're adapting into an entirely different medium you would do better to understand the visual language of the medium you're working in, not the medium of the source material.

Of course, for some anime titles there's a very deliberate attempt to bring over aspects of the manga 'style' into the anime which is fine if you're consistent about it, but it seems that Rozen Maiden spends most of it's time eschewing those conventions and instead embracing a more traditional 'film-like' approach to the visuals.

Finally, I've heard similar things about people's reactions to comedic deformations and I think that in certain places they work better than others e.g. in a comedy that uses comedic deformations on a regular basis or any work really that's being consistent about how the style is being applied.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This part with item didn't happen in Index , this is in railgun as the first appearance of ITEM ( the mercenaries ) they will be back ( later )

I'm pretty sure the scientists know that their requests aren't processed by tre diagram ( the giant computer in orbit ) the populace doesn't know and are still receiving the weather updates and stuff. The buildings blowing up was also part of a cover-up it's not that hard to hide.

i'm pretty sure that like the bridge, like the electrical plant ( both in S1 ) , like other places the fact that they were disabled/destriucted was made public without letting the populace know the details.

It's just unnecessarily... I dunno, big, I suppose. And I would have been perfectly fine with absolutely no answers. The thing is that this episode was something that existed somewhere between a Star Trek episode that forgets everything that happened last week and an episode of The West Wing where Bartlet is worried about how he will win the debates against Ritchie, so it doesn't really satisfy on either front.

This is just an ongoing plot.

Accelerator is still there , item is still there , the clones are still there and so on...

Think of it as the first part of a trilogy.

I mean there are plenty of factors that are treated later ( misaka network , misaka clones , accelerator , the one behind the experiment in the first place ) .. This is for another arc.

Danganronpa: The Animation Episode 5 Not Normal Arc: Weekly Shonen Despair Magazine

Despair indeed when an otp is crushed right before your very eyes and the character in question is wailing and in disbelief the entire episode, it was so hard to watch. Probably the best Danganronpa episode yet I think. And all those shocking reveals back to back to back.
I think I was most stunned by the Chihiro Fujikawa one. How did they even keep that underwraps like that and then for Monokuma to reveal to everyone. I will miss Chihiro he was tied for my third favorite character in the cast (with megane togami). Ishimaru really gave it the emotional edge it needed and then just being stunned the whole time and wanting it to not be so even voting against everyone else, Oowada, why (he even seemed to have like Chihiro even). Oh well fortunately another episode with Ishimaru surviving. Hopefully he lasts through the end, and I wonder if the 16th student will be good.

Didnt really understand the punishment
I guess he kept spinning and spinning in the electricity...then somehow ended up in a lunchbox?

Necrovex

Utena 30

Can any men here bake a cake? If not, you'll never have Utena's heart. I'm sorry, Anime-Gaf.

I was a little surprised how much screen time Akio finally got. Akio X Utena? No. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! Utena, stay true to your prince who is trapped in a dungeon somewhere!

wsippel

Banned
What's the draw of the Horizon anime? I only know of it via terrible LN covers.
It's extremely over the top, colorful and imaginative. Good action, too. Very fun characters as well, though considering how fittingly over the top they are, your mileage may vary in that regard. The main problem is that it's hard to get into. Very convoluted, tons of characters and factions, some massive exposition dumps.

Horizon anime manage to stay logical in a very complex setting , full of rules that aren't common sense.Some like it for the setting , for the good fights and animation, other for teh sheer amount of crazy that happens.

The first 5 eps of the first season are the hardest to watch because you have this INSANE amount of info to process and it managed to drive back many viewers. However if you managed to get past that and know a bit of history the rest is full of great things

Danganronpa: The Animation Episode 5 Not Normal Arc: Weekly Shonen Despair Magazine

Didnt really understand the punishment
I guess he kept spinning and spinning in the electricity...then somehow ended up in a lunchbox?

it was butter, not a lunchbox.
What you watch in that art style is stylised so you don't see the real thing .. maybe you can guess what remained on the bike after that spin ?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is just an ongoing plot.

Accelerator is still there , item is still there , the clones are still there and so on...

Think of it as the first part of a trilogy.

I mean there are plenty of factors that are treated later ( misaka network , misaka clones , accelerator , the one behind the experiment in the first place ) .. This is for another arc.

That's fair, and there's always Index. But I can't handle that show. lol

Narag

Jewelpet Kira Deco! 8

nJttez6l.png

I think I'm falling for Opal. I'm sorry, Garnet.

Pretty sure the Decostone was shipping cast members too.
And was that music in Passion Space an homage to Indiana Jones? I love this show.

It's pretty much the ultimate kitchen sink world. You got ninjas, samurai, blob monsters, demons, angels, flying ships, and about a billion other things.

On top of that, it actually has some really impressive fights, especially in season 2. The plot is a mess because they apparently skipped a bunch of stuff for the first season, but it's just plain fun in general even if the designs are hit or miss.

Narag

@Cosmicblizzard: kitchen sink world has a charm to it. intersting

@Jexhius: fault in the first batch of the bluray. Just that frame or two too. It's supposed to be corrected in the next batch.

Jex

@Cosmicblizzard: kitchen sink world has a charm to it. intersting

@Jexhius: fault in the first batch of the bluray. Just that frame or two too. It's supposed to be corrected in the next batch.

Ah to be an early adopter. The joy of cheap BD production.

Narag

Ah to be an early adopter.

It's also rough for non-region B folk as that first batch is apparently region free that will probably get fixed too Settle for an error at a reasonable price or cross my fingers for an overpriced NA release? Such tough decisions.

Kazzy

At least it has been acknowledged. I guess that my procrastination has paid off!

Early adopters always get the short shrift.

Jex

It's also rough for non-region B folk as that first batch is apparently region free that will probably get fixed too Settle for an error at a reasonable price or cross my fingers for an overpriced NA release? Such tough decisions.

Well, it is fairly minor but the only reason I've bought it on BD is to have a 'definitive' copy of the series for my collection so it does irk me slightly to have an imperfection in it.

Narag

Well, it is fairly minor but the only reason I've bought it on BD is to have a 'definitive' copy of the series for my collection so it does irk me slightly to have an imperfection in it.

Think they'll offer replacement discs? I've no idea how common that sort of thing is in the rest of the world.

jbug617

Banned

I think they said there is going to be a way to trade the bugged disc for a new version.

Theonik

Buy it, RIP it, ask for replacement when they fix it.
I suppose.

Think they'll offer replacement discs? I've no idea how common that sort of thing is in the rest of the world.
They should. I'd demand such thing till they complay.

Defuser

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S ep 17

Fuck, we're back to season 1 style of filler slice of of life segments and a filler arc which means no liberal city arts arc adaptation not to mention this episode took a production nosedive after the excellent quality we been having for the past few episodes.

Oh well, I'm sure this filler arc will explain shinobu's disappearance.

OP is stylish.

Syrinx

Last night I had a dream where I learned that Sailor Moon was where Curious George made his first ever appearance. Though I think he might have been evil? Either way, it sucks to wake up and realize that that mind blowing thing you just learned wasn't real after all. Oh well, reality time.

Maybe it's a sign that I should write some Sailor Moon x Curious George fanfiction.

I found that it has one of the best musical soundtracks in years and the action manages to be really moving and diverse in regards to either hand to hand typical combat, combat with swords, or even mechs and other god of war...The debates and discussions they have in it are also quite logical and interesting giving non combat orientated characters a chance to shine.

Jex

Last night I had a dream where I learned that Sailor Moon was where Curious George made his first ever appearance. Though I think he might have been evil? Either way, it sucks to wake up and realize that that mind blowing thing you just learned wasn't real after all. Oh well, reality time.

Maybe it's a sign that I should write some Sailor Moon x Curious George fanfiction.

Well clearly.

Tenumi

Banned
Let's Play! Suite Precure: 33

The episode begins on a movie set when all of a sudden, Miyuki appears!

...Wait a second, started Smile instead of Suite.

Right. This episode was really just strengthening the ideas of Hibiki, Kanade, and Ellen's dreams and what they want to protect. Naturally, Hibiki and Kanade have competitions to be in, so Ellen gets a small solo fight. She loses, naturally, and is about to be "killed" when Melody and Rhythm appear.

Cure Muse sighting, and looks like the Big Boss is getting in on the action, next episode!

Narag

Mamoru as The Man With The Yellow Hat please.

Coxy

It's like a strategy RPG anime, you have the huge cast and all the factions and stuff and all their moves and battles. Really like the music too.

I'm never getting a front mission anime, the Valkyria anime was bad and the Shining animes are nightmare fuel, so I've got this and Utawarerumono and SRW OG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom