• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

The Free! endcard was super interesting as always:

HpcQ3Oq.jpg

I just realized something incredible.

All of the episode preview images on the official Free! site all have their filenames start with "free-dtl".

edit: oh and they also revealed the first BD volume cover art (which also has "dtl" in the filename) and it's basically just a topless Haruka and an empty background.

Awesome cover art. Times like these I wish they had gone with a company to do eng subs for the dvds and bds...Hope later volumes have them paired up (team shot for final one even + Rin)

Syrinx

Cardcaptor Sakura 41

The more I see of Mizuki, the more I'm starting to feel that the woman is just stone cold evil. Just telling Shaoran, "It's almost time"...freaky. Freaky to the point where I really wonder if a good character would do such a thing. I don't want it to be true, and if I had to put money on it, I wouldn't put it on her being evil. She's seemed so good-hearted this whole time. Plus, her relationship with Toya is kinda throwing a wrench into the whole "she's evil" thing, as I think Toya would directly confront her if he knew this was the case, since his sister is involved in this whole thing. Speaking of which, he almost confronted her about everything, but pulled back at the last second. He's going to play a big role going forward.

Late, I know. But why the hell not?

Brilliant tier

Fairy Tail - The best fantasy adventure anime. Almost all the time, something interesting is happening in this show. When something not interesting is happening, it's usually something hilarious. That and it's OST is the best anime OST of all time in my book. A personal all time favourite of mine.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - A show where the characters just don't give a damn and punch the hell out of everything standing in their way. This show has everything I could ever ask for in an anime, it just goes all out and doesn't stop.

Black Jack - The Batman of medical dramas. This show stars a surgeon who lives atop a cliff who can cure any disease with an operation. This show is somehow able to blend in suspense, slice-of-life drama, adventure, and even supernatural elements all at once.

Great tier

Code Geass - Long story short, main character gets a superpower and starts screwing with a conquering nation. If there's one thing I love, it's that sense of knowing that the main character is always up to something for you to laugh at when you see how his plan works out. A lot like Death Note, which won't appear on this list since I've read the manga.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - I don't think I need to say anything here other than go watch this show. It's one of the show's downsides. You can't explain the show's plot to anyone otherwise A: They'll get turned off, or B: They'll get spoiled. Watch this show right now if you haven't and just keep going. That's all I can say.

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet - A show where a war-torn space robot pilot learns how to adapt to a peaceful society. I have waited a long time to see a show where people from vastly different civilizations meet and share their culture styles with each other, and this show delivered on that. That and it has the best AI anime character of all time.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's - This is what happens when you take an fairly standard and average mahou shoujo and put a lot of heart into it. This season took everything from the first one and cranked it up to the max. There is suddenly a lot more at risk, and there's a bigger sense of mystery than the first season had.

Clannad - After Story - When the characters get out of high school, that's when this show really shines. It's the evolution of a young man's life as his romance with his girlfriend gradually develops into adulthood. Touching, beautiful, and heart-wrenching at times.

Good tier

K-ON! (unfinished) - Well, with how many episodes I've seen, I can see where its popularity comes from. I'm not going to say it doesn't deserve its popularity because it's not in any way bad. It's like an art museum! It's got some nice pictures yeah, but it's not exactly the most exciting place in the world.

Dog Days - (unfinished) - I've yet to watch the last episode of the first season, but for what it is, It's a cute little series. It would have been better if there was an actual good sense of dark risk for the battles. But its got its fair share of nice characters, and there's nothing I can really say about this show that's truly awful. It's also adorable, so there's that.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha - It starts of VERY slow and boring, but gradually starts to pick up the pace. Then the show turns into Star Trek meets Kingdom Hearts.

Bad tier

Clannad (Season 1) - As much as I hate to say this, the first season of Clannad was really dull. Aside from a fairly stellar first part with Fuko, everything else after that was just boring.

Uhh.... tier

School Days
16597%20-%20animated_gif%20king%20laughing%20legend_of_zelda%20quality%20zelda.gif

Narag

Big O Dub 12-13

Wait so they originally just stopped the series at this point and didn't continue it till CT came though in the clutch to fund a second season? WTF kind of ending was that supposed to be? Things were starting to get really interesting and then... nothing D:

It concluded the whole character arc of Roger finally accepting Dorothy. Eberything else seemed like fluff that didn't really need expanding on but it was nice that we did get some in s2 .

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Mo~tto! Ojamajo Doremi 16

Imagine the life lesson these girls would get if they went through all that work only to be dumped on all the same. Probably truer to life, too.

Mo~tto! Ojamajo Doremi 17

Finally, a Pop episode!

03KgO1M.jpg

:kayos

Mo~tto! Ojamajo Doremi 18

English is hard.

Mo~tto! Ojamajo Doremi 19

Surprisingly hilarious episode.

fyhpyUq.jpg

Doremi working with the Guu trolling playbook here.

fertygo

It concluded the whole character arc of Roger finally accepting Dorothy. Eberything else seemed like fluff that didn't really need expanding on but it was nice that we did get some in s2 .

Yeah, even its ended with cliffhanger its VERY satisfying. And then S2 happened...

-Minsc-

I intended to add Genshiken 2 anime to complement the original series in my collection but for one reason or another I always held on to my money. Since I prefer to watch a series through legitimate means I've never never carried on past the first twelve episodes. Now with Genshiken Nidaime, on the spur of the moment, I caved and watched the OVA's, G2, and read some of the manga to fill in the gap. Well, I guess at heart I'm just as big a nerd as every one else. :)

OVA's/Genshiken 2/Pre-Nidaime manga/Nidaime

I haven't watched Genshiken however it was easy to get back in to. Being set in college I rather enjoy the slightly more matured (as matured as socially awkward otaku can be ;) ) way the various relationships between characters are handled. Friendships are deepened, love is sparked, and there's no waiting 200 for a "will they/won't they?". This certainly isn't high school.

In this section of the series we are introduced more to the perspective of the female otaku. This means yaoi and BL. I keep an open mind. Ogiue's fantasies were certainly vivid. Then again, in general, women always seem to be way more descriptive.

It's a shame portions of the manga between Genshiken 2 and Nidaime were not animated. I rather enjoyed the chapters pairing
Sasahara and Ogiue
together.
Sasahara sure knows how to set the mood, lol. His response to reading Ogiue's Sasahara X Madarame doujinshi, "When I look at it, it gets hard." That's one way to put the girl you love off guard. :p

Like life, Genshiken moves forward. Members graduate and are seen less, new faces are introduced. So far the male otaku perspective seems to be taking the backseat in Nidaime. I can't complain though, the past members had their time and are moving on just as would happen in any school setting. Given the large female cast I won't relate to the new characters as I did with the initial crew. Still, it gives me a perspective from an angle I normally wouldn't get and it looks as if the series will be enjoyable.

Dropped Rozen Maiden, will need to watch the previous entries to appreciate anything that is happening.

Monogatari 1-3
I missed these shows, Monogatari has been awesome so far. I do miss Arararararararargi's perverted jokes, but it's interesting to see the characters interact with each other.

Love Lab 03
Weakest episode so far, too much drama. I want more humour like in previous episodes.

The Free! endcard was super interesting as always:
It's certainly something.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Hidden treasure tier

Ojamajo Doremi

Hidden furry tier

RPG Densetsu Hepoi

Hidden acid-laced time portal opening nuclear bomb tier

Kenya boy

Theonik

yeah that would be a good idea. also, VHS anime is a unique experience. Having to watch those ADV previews and stuff was pretty exciting back then. Really nostalgic.
It's not like VHS is dead. That's how I watched Body Swap recently after all.
No other release for those OVAs which is a shame.

Nafe

[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon SuperS] 160
h4byCMy.jpg

Minako best Sailor Senshi.

I'm fabulous. ;)

pGloJTQ.jpg

(What does this logo even mean??)

I'll probably repost this later "today", but here is the latest episode of the podcast I am on featuring the sexily sensual svelte voice of zeroshiki.
http://thatothersquadcast.podomatic.com/entry/2013-07-23T20_01_14-07_00

Want to hear me ask zeroshiki important questions such as: "Why do Japanese people buy programs at the movies?" and "How do you even buy movie tickets in Japan?" and "What is it like watching anime at 26:40?".

Oh right! Also, a chat that builds on zeroshiki's post about Kaze Tachinu, even if he is unwilling to spoil the end of the movie for me. :(

Please to enjoy!

We get to hear zeroshiki, interesting. I've gotten way behind on these. I was listening to the first few like I mentioned but got away from them. I was actually thinking of looking at them again and wondering how far along you guys were. I intentionally skipped one or two of them though because in the little written preview it was mentioned you guys were going to be focusing more on Evangelion 3.0 and I haven't seen the Rebuild movies so I didn't want to get spoiled on it.

I listened to the first little bit of this episode. I like how you guys just start mid conversation all the time, haha. Pretty early in this episode you guys talk about the news of the passing of Ryan Davis from Giantbomb. I only really looked at the site maybe a few times very rarely so I'm not even sure if I had even heard of Ryan before this and can't really comment about what happened there.

Just after with the conversation about Japanese theaters though some people might find it interesting how they maybe compare or contrast to how their countries theaters operate. Haha, it's kind of funny how you guys spend about ten minutes talking about the theater before Kurt asks "so, how was the movie?",haha.

"People comment that I sometimes butcher the pronunciation of the Japanese titles so I'll just get zeroshiki to say the name of the movie for me this episode." Haha

(If you want to skip the rambling intro, I believe we start talking about the movie at 29 minutes. lol)

3 hours :lol

Yeah, this is why I kind of got away from them a bit, haha. They're kind of long to me and I often can't really do something with it on in the background. I'm either too focused on what I'm doing and miss it or get too focused on the podcast and can't do what I'm trying to focus on.

Shergal

Honestly, they would do good to include moments like that in the show. You know, to allow the characters to breathe outside of their roles and "plot" constraints. In that sense Free! is similar to K-On!, with both shows having to cover a set amount of time/events and sacrificing the characters to do so. I don't think we're ever going to get Free!! though.

jbug617

Banned
My pickups for the month.

Yumeria is used and I got it for cheap
CK BC was $.99
Hanasaku and Black Lagoon OVA were Right Stuf preorders
Dragonball is from Amazon Gold Deal
Kenichi and Fruit Baskets is from Amazon Sale.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, this is why I kind of got away from them a bit, haha. They're kind of long to me and I often can't really do something with it on in the background. I'm either too focused on what I'm doing and miss it or get too focused on the podcast and can't do what I'm trying to focus on.
It's a wild Nafe!
And yeah, I don't expect anyone to listen to the whole thing. lol Somehow we managed to talk about summer anime for the second half of the podcast and I don't really remember what came up other than 26 "oclock" anime and zeroshiki being late for work. lol

----

Hanayaka Nari Waga Ichizoku Kinetograph OVA 2
So the first OVA happened ages ago, and this was the weird shoujo about a girl becoming the maid to a bunch of hottie brothers. Also, random politics that no one gives a shit about.

H6QiNhZl.jpg

:DTL alert.

Dt0W3nUl.jpg

dbDjR93l.jpg

What I find interesting/weird is how in shoujos there is sometimes the pseudo-lesbian :)SDBurton) best friend who is particularly close to the protagonist but for some inexplicable reason is both unattractive to the other guys in the show and has no interest in those guys either.

It's interesting how this basically links up to the asexual best friend that you see in harems all the time. It's like a character the main character can confide in, but never actually have to risk any sort of betrayal.

---

Brothers Conflict
hNT2O7rl.jpg

DTL alert!

Perfect girl is still perfect and ready to embrace her harem, so there's really nothing to say.

CIrmxEql.jpg

But this is just weird, since it's seemingly two references mashed together combined with the fact that she's playing on a 360. I guess since she's also supposed to be a hardcore gamer, she would be the one Japanese girl to have a 360.

Dynedom

Is it that time in every OT where we re-establish ranking of best OG Sailor Scouts?

Minako > Ami > Makoto > Usagi > Rei

You can pretty much reshuffle those last 3 around I guess but Minako > Ami > * is absolute.

I
Brothers Conflict

But this is just weird, since it's seemingly two references mashed together combined with the fact that she's playing on a 360. I guess since she's also supposed to be a hardcore gamer, she would be the one Japanese girl to have a 360.

Well last episode, she revealed she was a huge fan of Biohazard which one of the (not) brothers is part of the game company or whatever.

I guess that's basically going to be her character trait since she doesn't have anything else worth of note.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Is it that time in every OT where we re-establish ranking of best OG Sailor Scouts?

Minako > Ami > Makoto > Usagi > Rei

You can pretty much reshuffle those last 3 around I guess but Minako > Ami > * is absolute.
As much as I like Minako, always been an Ami fan, so deciding between them is hard for me. The rest get ranked below not for being bad, but for not being as superlative.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
*googles* RPG? Catgirls? how bad is this? :<
Haha, only seen two eps so far, and it's kind of at the crossroads between shit and entirely watchable if not derivative. Outside the Aya Hisakawa voiced Miiya Miiya, of course.

It's a kid's show

Imagine if we had this in America. Would be worse than ponies right now
Dragon Ball, which the show takes from, has a sizable population of anthro characters too. They're all just banned from being in the spotlight.

Dynedom

As much as I like Minako, always been an Ami fan, so deciding between them is hard for me. The rest get ranked below not for being bad, but for not being as superlative.

I think my opinion changes on re-watches. Keep in mind, I haven't even watched the final season (ever) so I'm wondering if that tips the scales. From what I remember of the first few seasons, I enjoyed episodes centered around these 2 a lot.

Minako gets the bump because her attacks were pretty awesome.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I think my opinion changes on re-watches. Keep in mind, I haven't even watched the final season (ever) so I'm wondering if that tips the scales. From what I remember of the first few seasons, I enjoyed episodes centered around these 2 a lot.

Minako gets the bump because her attacks were pretty awesome.
Stars is pretty much the Usagi and Minako show, and it manages to be awesome for it.

Tenumi

Banned
Trying for the upteenth time to build a schedule so I don't fall behind on shows. Throwing a few surprises in there is fun, too.

Trying for a pace of 2 Precure a day, except for Sundays. That shouldn't be too difficult to manage.

Dynedom

Stars is pretty much the Usagi and Minako show, and it manages to be awesome for it.

Might need to give this a try.

I think I just need to watch/re-watch seasons 3 onwards properly. My memory is spotty for S and SuperS and I never caught any episodes in R after
all of the 4 sisters are healed

Syrinx

My pickups for the month.

Yumeria is used and I got it for cheap
CK BC was $.99
Hanasaku and Black Lagoon OVA were Right Stuf preorders
Dragonball is from Amazon Gold Deal
Kenichi and Fruit Baskets is from Amazon Sale.

Fruits Basket!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Might need to give this a try.

I think I just need to watch/re-watch seasons 3 onwards properly. My memory is spotty for S and SuperS and I never caught any episodes in R after
all of the 4 sisters are healed
Um, if you went with the dub before, you might as well start from the beginning.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I guess there's that too.

Sheesh, this is going to be a long investment.
Entirely worth it, though. It's not like drudging through something like One Piece where you go through huge patches of barren land only to find the occasional oasis.

Theonik

Sword of the Stranger
This was pretty spectacular. Hot damn. The whole thing just great to look at but those final 30-40 minutes hot damn.
RIP Bones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom