• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm not a fan of boring, nerdy, goody-two-shoes, seemingly perfect characters and Ami is kind of like the epitome of that archetype. Plus her shabon spray is stupid and useless.
Ami keeps a lot to herself, but the moments when things slip out are the best. There's more to her than you give her credit for.

Jarmel

Banned
Such a shame.
Though moe isn't at fault for E7AO etc.
Where did they go wrong? RIP.

pkVIT.jpg

Don't worry guys, BONES will revive with Space Dandy and that one toy show they're doing.

The fact that we haven't jack from Space Dandy makes me think it's not coming out this year and probably Winter of next.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm not a fan of boring, nerdy, goody-two-shoes, seemingly perfect characters and Ami is kind of like the epitome of that archetype. Plus her shabon spray is stupid and useless.
Ami becomes a rounder character in S and SuperS. She's pretty boring in the first two seasons otherwise.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Though moe isn't at fault for E7AO etc.

Elena Peoples was the most transparently otaku pander character in any BONES show ever. There are way worse problems with E7AO, but the high incidence of kawaii adolescent girls and harem undertones with Ao being the only male pilot certainly detracted from the experience.

Theonik

Elena Peoples was the most disgustingly, transparently otaku pander character in any BONES show ever. There are way worse problems with E7AO, but the high incidence of kawaii adolescent girls and harem undertones with Ao being the only male pilot certainly detracted from the experience.
I mean it's obvious BONES is struggling trying to find a balance between Otaku pandering and meaningful content, but at the same time they are suffering from much much more substantial issues with regards to their recent efforts.
Also 7th would like a word about making female pilots into a bad thing.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I mean it's obvious BONES is struggling trying to find a balance between Otaku pandering and meaningful content, but at the same time they are suffering from much much more substantial issues with regards to their recent efforts.
Also 7th would like a word about making female pilots into a bad thing.

No disagreements there, it was just an easy opportunity to shit on my least-favorite character in my least-favorite BONES show, hahah.

Does 7Th actually like any of the E7AO waifus? Because shame on him if so.

7Th

No disagreements there, it was just an easy opportunity to shit on my least-favorite character in my least-favorite BONES show, hahah.

Does 7Th actually like any of the E7AO waifus? Because shame on him if so.

More female pilots is better than less female pilots; that's all I say. Ao should have been a girl, too; he already looks like mid-series Eureka, anyway.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
The only good female character in AO is the milf that titty-smothers Ao on the space station. I don't remember any more about her because I quit watching right after that.

I know who you're talking about. I think her name was Hannah?

I should check to see if she got any doujin material.

Thoraxes

I imagine many little Omigawas emulate the sound effects of water waves.
That's how I wanna go. Pretty much the best way ever.
But that means less AWESOMEBEAR in this thread :(
:(
I know who you're talking about. I think her name was Hannah?

I should check to see if she got any doujin material.

That's Mama Hannah to you.
The only good female character in AO is the milf that titty-smothers Ao on the space station. I don't remember any more about her because I quit watching right after that.
I'm all about the Elena.

work keeps me away from postin' more. that plus dad shutting off the internet at the home at midnight because shit is crazy.

I do think it's time for a new avatar though. Maybe a hajime, or a UK loli.

CorvoSol

My god that's a giant wall of black text.

It's a giant wall of white text on Dark GAF at like, 3 AM. Painful to look at.

But the Garzey's Wing Pixie is the best thing ever.

Those back muscles, though . . .

The entire show is based around this gif:

oh_wow.gif

The show goes to ridiculous lengths to build up certain plot points only to make the end result amazingly anti-climatic. The whole Elena and Truth subplot don't amount to jackshit and were a waste of both the story's time and the audience's.

It really is. I think Elena and Truth stand out the most, though, because they were given such significance and build up. Especially with all the implying that Elena might be Ao's sister and stuff. And then the ending rolls along and it can't even explain the actual plot of the show in a coherent way, let alone the subplots.

Can't think of many people that find EVA 'fun' per say.

That dance fight Shinji and Asuka do against the Twin Angel was a lot of fun.

The only subplots that have any significance to the end are established in episode fucking 2, and everything with Generation Blue, Elena, Truth, the Secrets, the Quartz, the Japan/Okinawa/USA geopolitics, and everything else were completely meaningless, and most of them have barely any significance to whatever the larger "message" of the ending was.

The show feels like the writers were just making shit up episode by episode, and didn't give any thought whatsoever to how to end things until the post-22 hiatus. And even then they had no clue what they were doing.

There's also the way the ending reveals feel incredibly forced and not at all planned ahead of time. The most egregious of these being that
Eureka is time traveling to keep Ao alive because the Coralian apparently didn't account for the effects of Trapar on their own cross-species babies.
That scene felt pretty much like a cheap grab for sympathy points at a point when the series had long since ceased to deserve any. Most bizarre of all, though, is that this required time travel to resolve when
even if the Earth beneath the Coral was trapar filled, there was still the Sage's space station which should've been a trapar free zone.
And it clashes essentially with what we see on screen. There's sort of that build up with
the coral infected soldiers getting turned to coral
but in spite of the various times that Ao is exposed to high density trapar situations
it never effects him, making the whole thing sort of bullshit.

AO is a perfect example on how not to tell a story. Instead of providing emotionally resonant storylines or answers, all the mysteries were answered with more mysteries. As I noted when watching, the execution feels like Lindelof. The show is just treading water for most of its run and has no clear end goal in mind or even theme. It throws in a lot of concepts such as politics but doesn't do a good job fleshing out those concepts and so it leaves a bunch of half assed things that only serve to waste time.

At least the show was nice enough to retcon itself out of existence.

That's a really good break down of it. So many of the show's plot points are just darts on a board that don't line up. Characters getting retconned partway through serve no greater purpose than to make everyone shrug and go "oh whatevs". And then
when Maggie Kwan momentarily regains her memories only for them to just up and fade again, and for her to figure out Elena's entire backstory using basically the internet.
Like Sonic 06, though, at least we can say that even the show agrees that it all never happened.

Doesn't seem to stop people from reading/watching Attack on Titan.

The vain hope that things will improve is what keeps me going with that IP.

I would say the most offensive... actually... second most offensive thing AO did was make
Truth out to be the bad guy the entire show. The entire cast was fighting desperately to defeat him only for him to turn into some pointless villain with no aspiration, motivation, etc but to be nothing and eventually he ended up being some stupid ally AI in the end. That was fucking stupid and made the previous episodes completely pointless.
POINTLESS

I would say that the most offensive thing AO does is
murder Eureka and Renton's characters, making them selfish, and their quest to protect the Scub hypocritical and wrong when they turn around to kill the Scub themselves.
Truth is just the most frustrating thing about the show. They take a perfectly interesting character design, discard it for a generic white haired pretty boy (WITH CURAAAZY EYES) and then inconsistently manage and explain his powers for the remainder of the show.
Not only does he just stop shape shifting part way through, the other Secrets never do this, nor exhibit half the power he seems to have.
Also including a wizard in an E7 show was just awful. And let's not forget
the unnecessary drama of Truth not knowing he was a Secret. I mean, dude, your color motif is identical to theirs.

Which part was stupid, though? Was it
making him a villain when he didn't have any credible motivation or significance despite pushing tons of other pointless plot pieces around? Or was it trying to make him sympathetic (and ultimately redeeming him) as he murdered innocent people and caused tons of chaos?

For me it was definitely the second over the first. I mean the first was super stupid already, but that second part was just so skull smashingly awful.

The fact that they
retconned him out of being a villain. lol.

What bothered me most about that was that
he escaped any punishment for what he'd done.

TVTropes is the devil and I refuse to support that place.

Well okay, but I was more talkin' about the funny fan nicknames I found on it.

I don't know. Let's let Corvo and firehawk think this over.

I don't know. I mean, Suguha and Kirito were already cousins, so how would they alter that relationship to make it even remotely okay? They'd have to drop the blatant aspects of it and just completely drop her meltdown. Tentacle rape would have to go, and Sugou's slurping of Asuna's tears wouldn't be sticking around, either, methinks.

Maybe they'd dub in a motivation for the main bad guy, though.

Elena Peoples was the most transparently otaku pander character in any BONES show ever. There are way worse problems with E7AO, but the high incidence of kawaii adolescent girls and harem undertones with Ao being the only male pilot certainly detracted from the experience.

Oh yeah, I definitely did not like that aspect of her character. At first it was okay, but then it got to the point where I felt Elena's constant references to anime and manga was the anime equivalent of "US GAMERS, HUH?"

Fleur is mai waifu.

Fleur becomes decent waifu material by the show's end, I'll give you that.

cajunator

Banned
It's not like VHS is dead. That's how I watched Body Swap recently after all.
No other release for those OVAs which is a shame.

VHS WILL NEVER DIE.
Although Im kinda scared to play old VHS tapes cause machines, particularly old ones, love to eat tapes.

My pickups for the month.

Yumeria is used and I got it for cheap
CK BC was $.99
Hanasaku and Black Lagoon OVA were Right Stuf preorders
Dragonball is from Amazon Gold Deal
Kenichi and Fruit Baskets is from Amazon Sale.

Black Lagoon, Fruits Basket, Yumeria, and Hanasaku Iroha? I like your tastes!

Is it that time in every OT where we re-establish ranking of best OG Sailor Scouts?

Minako > Ami > Makoto > Usagi > Rei

You can pretty much reshuffle those last 3 around I guess but Minako > Ami > * is absolute.

Minako has always been my favorite but Id put Makoto next then Rei or Ami. Hard to pick. Ive only seen season 1 though really.

*googles* RPG? Catgirls? how bad is this? :<

Have you seen Villgust yet? It has a genki catgirl in it called Ryuqir. shes really adorable.

cajunator

Banned
Trying for the upteenth time to build a schedule so I don't fall behind on shows. Throwing a few surprises in there is fun, too.

Trying for a pace of 2 Precure a day, except for Sundays. That shouldn't be too difficult to manage.

For me, making a schedule is well nigh impossible.
I just wait for my off time and then try to cram a few episodes after the second or third day off. Sometimes I marathon stuff with my friend until I start falling asleep and have to leave.

Drowning in a wave of moe sounds like a great way to go.

Yeah I wouldn't mind going like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom