• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Jeff

Mushi-shi 08
Goddamn, this is beyond good.
I know people have said it's hard to comment on episodes in the series without devolving into talking about what happened in the episode itself but I love reading simple statements likes this. Enjoy it, it stays amazing all the way through.

Interest rising.
But...its manga.
You need to embrace some manga! Otherwise you miss out on My Name is Zushio and Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer both of which are excellent!

Jarmel

Banned
I think this is where I go:
"Eureka Seven retroactively ruined" or something like that.

I wasn't lying when I said AO was a masterpiece.

Not any director could dickslap his own franchise and take a shit all over it and afterwards tell it to take a shower like nothing happened.

Kwixotik

Man, I don't get why everybody hates Shinji. I can kind of understand how he got depressed/whiny from the shit he's gone through and having no one to raise him. And he's developing and getting more confident and open. Eva has gotten a lot better since my last post. It's like the director addressed my complaints in full a couple episodes after I made them lol.

Theonik

VHS WILL NEVER DIE.
Although Im kinda scared to play old VHS tapes cause machines, particularly old ones, love to eat tapes.
I've digitised most of my tapes worth digitising by now, though I should probably look certain things.

Not any director could dickslap his own franchise and take a shit all over it and afterwards tell it to take a shower like nothing happened.
Seriously. This is terrible. It's an argument on why society should have safeguards against this somehow.

cajunator

Banned
I'm not a fan of boring, nerdy, goody-two-shoes, seemingly perfect characters and Ami is kind of like the epitome of that archetype. Plus her shabon spray is stupid and useless.

Her attack is really quite laughably useless but shes smart and adorable. Several attacks were thwarted because of her skills and that computer.

I imagine many little Omigawas emulate the sound effects of water waves.

That would be an excellent way to depart the world.

Elena Peoples was the most transparently otaku pander character in any BONES show ever. There are way worse problems with E7AO, but the high incidence of kawaii adolescent girls and harem undertones with Ao being the only male pilot certainly detracted from the experience.

I cant deny her purpose, but she made the show at least watchable (for me and AWESOMEBEAR anyway)

CorvoSol

Maybe now you know why!

Cuz back muscles?

I feel like Evangelion's done this with Rebuild 3.33, but I dunno.

Man, I don't get why everybody hates Shinji. I can kind of understand how he got depressed/whiny from the shit he's gone through and having no one to raise him. And he's developing and getting more confident and open. Eva has gotten a lot better since my last post. It's like the director addressed my complaints in full a couple episodes after I made them lol.

I don't really hate Shinji, I just think he's kind of a wet blanket at first. He's pretty good in Rebuild until the 3rd movie and then I hate him about as much as the rest of that noise.

Chronoexe

image.php

Your new avatar would be perfect if you change Niko for Ayase or Nozomi

cajunator

Banned
Ami reads all the dirty books, and is secretly bi.

I knew I liked her for a reason!

That's how I wanna go. Pretty much the best way ever.

:(

That's Mama Hannah to you.
I'm all about the Elena.

This is why we get along so well AWESOMEBEAR

work keeps me away from postin' more. that plus dad shutting off the internet at the home at midnight because shit is crazy.

I do think it's time for a new avatar though. Maybe a hajime, or a UK loli.

Hajime! Hajime hajime hajime!
Also wtf @ turning internet off at midnight? I cant..

With The Onigiri Song playing at the funeral

Probably something to that effect.

cajunator

Banned
I have no problems calling her Mama. :D

And a fan of Elena too? Maru bear is just too awesome.

He is. Thats why he's AWESOMEBEAR.

I know people have said it's hard to comment on episodes in the series without devolving into talking about what happened in the episode itself but I love reading simple statements likes this. Enjoy it, it stays amazing all the way through.

You need to embrace some manga! Otherwise you miss out on My Name is Zushio and Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer both of which are excellent!

Its hard to get into manga for me.

Jarmel

Banned
Otherwise you miss out on My Name is Zushio and Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer both of which are excellent!

I'm still pissed the anime adaptation for Lucifer fell apart. This would have been insane if Gainax had gone through with it. Fuck the agents for the Pillows and fuck them hard.

cajunator

Banned
Fate Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya 01

I started watching this earlier and completely crashed so it basically took all day lol.
Anyway as said before, it started out with Rin and an ojou laughing which was already great. The magical wands are wisecracking smartasses and I like that. Rin is about as angry and tsun as expected so thats good. Ilya herself is fairly adorable but the character designs are a huge missed opportunity. Really not very good. But that aside, the transformation was pretty cute and the part with her being outside was kind of funny. Not much has happened yet so not sure what to make of it. I like it so far though.
Also ED >>>>>>OP.

Syrinx

Cardcaptor Sakura 42

Sakura's prince costume was her best one yet. So awesome. Well done, Tomoyo.

That got weird there. There was some :SDBurton going on there between Light and Dark. So Kero knew that Sakura had Light inside of her the whole time. But will "I will definitely be all right" work now that Light is in card form instead of inside her? Eh, probably. But Mizuki had that mysterious comment at the end that makes me not so sure. Woman is freaking me out, man.

So I'm really not familiar with Sleeping Beauty at all. Never watched it as a kid, read it in school, etc. Assuming that their rendition was somewhat faithful (Toya's class' rendition of Cinderella makes me not too sure about that), there are a couple of things I don't quite get. One, what does "truly" love mean? It would have to be in a romantic way, or else her mother or father could have done it. Which leads to the second; how can the prince fall truly in love with her while she's asleep? I understand "love at first sight" and all that, but shit, she's sleeping. He doesn't even get to look into her eyes. Also, why does the fairy make it so that she'll fall asleep instead of die and awaken upon a kiss from somebody who truly loves her instead of just cancelling out the witch's curse to begin with? And if she can't do that, why doesn't she make it easier to wake her up?

cajunator

Banned
One of the best series of the last 10 years.

Its very good. Not sure where it would fall in my rankings personally but I enjoyed it and wish there was more. It has a rather mysterious vibe to it thats really pleasant. Gotta be in the right frame of mind to watch it though.

Mr.Jeff

I'm still pissed the anime adaptation for Lucifer fell apart. This would have been insane if Gainax had gone through with it. Fuck the agents for the Pillows and fuck them hard.
Well, the argument's out on whether New-Gainax would have been able to have done it justice but a proper adaptation would be amazing. Maybe one day.

Out of the limited manga I've read, Zushio still ranks up as one of the funniest things I've ever read. I've gone through it about 5 times and I still end up sore from laughing so hard.

trejo

Genshiken Nidaime 3

e1c3olP.jpg

Random Frau cameo! I like how she actually winks as she's going down.
Also, that's A LOT of tissues.

I think I'm finally starting to warm up to the new cast. They'll probably never be able to live up to the original members but maybe they don't have to. It also doesn't help that so far there's not a whole lot of substance to most of them with the sole exception of Hato, who is quite an interesting character and one who holds a lot of potential. His
(in the case of this episode, at least)
interactions with Madarame in this episode were great and I'm actually really looking forward to see how this story develops.

I've also made peace with the fact that new Madarame will never stop sounding wrong.

Whaaa-? This is the first time I'm hearing of this! Say it isn't so!

cajunator

Banned
Genshiken Nidaime 3

I think I'm finally starting to warm up to the new cast. They'll probably never be able to live up to the original members but maybe they don't have to. It also doesn't help that so far there's not a whole lot of substance to most of them with the sole exception of Hato, who is quite an interesting character and one who holds a lot of potential. His
interactions with Madarame in this episode were great and I'm actually really looking forward to see how this story develops.

I've also made peace with the fact that new Madarame will never stop sounding wrong.

I dont mind the new cast much anymore. Once I got over the initial reaction it has become pretty charming.

Narag

Free! 4

Gou holding that team of slackers together. I can't help but think the real reason Rei couldn't swim was his heart was too heavy with unresolved feeling for Nagisa.

Jarmel

Banned
Interview from Newtype said:
>NT: Have you been approached about an anime for Hoshi no Samidare?
>MS: Yes. I talked with Gainax about it, but there were problems.
>NT: What kind of problems?
>MS: Well, I wanted The Pillows to do the soundtrack.
>NT: I think that was obvious!
>MS: Yes, of course. Gainax was interested and wanted The Pillows to do the soundtrack. We talked to the band and they were interested too.
>NT: What happened then?
>MS: Well it seems like the whole thing should be good to go, right?
>NT: Right.
>MS: But the labels for The Pillows music did not want to give up the licensing rights. The current label, Avex Trax wouldn't budge and King Records, their previous label, wouldn't either.
>NT: Why not just make new music or not use The Pillows?
>MS: Well... there is the next problem. We fought about it for several months trying to get them on board, and then...
>NT: And then?
>MS: The offer was off the table. Funding went to something else and the offer for a Hoshi no Samidare anime was removed.
>NT: Where did the funding go?
>MS: I think to Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt.
>NT: And you haven't had any other anime offers since.
>MS: Nope.

Would have been Old Gainax too.

Mushibugyo 16

Glad someone called out Jinbei about his rashness. I'm usually fine with it, but they are on a covert mission and him acting his usual self is just plain stupid.

Kuro continues to be absolutely adorable. Don't really mind if everyone else doesn't appear for awhile if it means she gets more screen time to be with Jinbei.

trejo

I dont mind the new cast much anymore. Once I got over the initial reaction it has become pretty charming.

The rest of the cast, while still sounding off to me at times, don't take that much to get used to after a while. However, Madarame's voice is so freakin' ubiquitously Nobuyuki Hiyama's to me that not hearing it come out of his mouth quite frankly never ceases to be off-putting.

Hattori

Banned
Yami Shibai
Zanbai

I love this this show. It's so wonderfully creepy (especially when watched at night or in darkened room.) Episode didn't scare me as much as the first, but it was still downright spooky.

cajunator

Banned
Mushibugyo 16

Glad someone called out Jinbei about his rashness. I'm usually fine with it, but they are on a covert mission and him acting his usual self is just plain stupid.

Kuro continues to be absolutely adorable. Don't really mind if everyone else doesn't appear for awhile if it means she gets more screen time to be with Jinbei.

I see MadP's fetish resurfaces in another anime. Irs a good trend. Tell me more about this Kuro?

Tenumi

Banned
My friends that went to Japan are back now. They told me they got me a souvineer. I shouldn't be afraid, but I am, especially considering they said they almost got me "a figure of Kobato and Maria from Haganai in revealing clothing"

I may or may not be doomed. Find out this Saturday!

Narag

My friends that went to Japan are back now. They told me they got me a souvineer. I shouldn't be afraid, but I am, especially considering they said they almost got me "a figure of Kobato and Maria from Haganai in revealing clothing"

I may or may not be doomed. Find out this Saturday!

You and madp can be bunkmates in rehab.

cajunator

Banned
Genshiken Nidaime 3

Yeah, the original cast was great, but this cast isn't so bad. Also Hato's character has become the most interesting character in Genshiken because he's being treated with a level of respect that I don't find often. Usually, characters like Hato are created to be a joke or some flat uninteresting character with a quirky twist, but Hato's a strong character with a lot of potential so I applauded Genshiken for that.

Mr.Jeff

Would have been Old Gainax too.
Kinda made sense there's been nothing since: the series ended around 2010 which is when Panty and Stocking started up. So at the very least he would have been fairly near the climax during negotiations.

Can't see many studios wanting to pick up a 3 year old series now and most especially we won't get glorious Old-Gainax and Pillows music.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom