• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such good images for the Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist cafe.
635b872008cfaacca7756ff3cee2a21b5bc260cf.jpg
b0263ecb56850cfef88a14d59424567c5cd0680e.jpg

duckroll

This is from the newest episode of Uchoten:

Just random pics, too. Not that I'm expecting shaft to hit the kind of visual competency expressed by this show, but avoiding basic failures in composition would be a good start.

But I don't think this dismisses the point that "perspective is hard", because perspectives are usually determined by the layout of a cut, which is in turn usually influenced by the storyboard. The reason why shows with good layouts look impressive is specifically because the people responsible for the storyboards and layouts have a great eye for perspective. Yuyushiki and Uchoten are recent shows which exhibit this really well. Something being hard to get "right" generally means that when someone does consistency get it right, it is all the more noticeable.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Servant x Service 5

Holy shit, so much happened in this episode.
Ichimiya and Chihaya are dating?! :eek:
Also
Hasebe's sister telling him that she'd be totally cool with a threesome with him and Lucy was pretty creepy, :lol
. And I usually don't mind tsundere characters, but man Toko can just fuck right off.

This shit's basically Japanese Scrubs in a different work environment at this point. :lol

cajunator

Banned
Servant x Service 5

Holy shit, so much happened in this episode.
Ichimiya and Chihaya are dating?! :eek:
Also
Hasebe's sister telling him that she'd be totally cool with a threesome with him and Lucy was pretty creepy, :lol
. And I usually don't mind tsundere characters, but man Toko can just fuck right off.

This shit's basically Japanese Scrubs in a different work environment at this point. :lol

I cant remember the names in this show for some reason. Who is ahoge girl?

Lucy Kimiko Aki Airi Shiori Rinne oshiho Chihoko Ayano ...

Now that i'm typing all those names , where the heck did they find enough space on the registration paper to write so much ?
You're telling me that there was no character limit on the computer program ? Enough blank space on the paper ? WTF.

i'd be angry too.

7Th

You're right, of course, but it's a little unfair to even begin to compare a show directed by a Production I.G. veteran whose been in the industry for years with some kid at SHAFT who makes everyone ramen and occasionally storyboards the odd scene.

I dunno; Rie Matsmoto is 28, she works with the cheapest studio on Japan and she still styles all over IG's and PA's TV output.

Dog & Scissors 1

Dog is adorable. I just had the yearning to pet him on his head and rub his tummy throughout the episode. Has quite the little snark in him as well.

Sadist is alright though I'm not keen on her complex over her being a washboard. Already know she's going to be at odds when the blond girl is introduced.

Doki Doki Precure 27 Contextual Edition

So beyond being powered by batteries, Aguri's grown up look as Cure Ace is because feelings form the OCure-rina of Time.

And guessing on how it was worded,
She predates these girls, lost a battle and lost her partner, who was Ai, who later found Aguri when she was with Joe. She eventually found her way there.
She's a Precure of this world, not of Trump Kingdom. She's pretty much a normal girl with no other special connections.

Also she can troll. But Sweets are her other weakpoint beyond being powered by batteries.

detective conan mystery train arc finish

So good. Shame there isn't much story arcs in the near future.

ivfq3JIFKO4ck.gif

wish real glasses were as cool as anime glasses.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I find the writing itself exceptionally poor for the format. It is meandering, circular, and the dialogue completely lacks bite as pitiful nothings are shot back and forth. The tiger has just generally made for a terrible verbal sparring partner. His ideology is unflinching, and childish in a one-note pattern that leaves engagements with him to be painfully droll. It lacks back and forth or revelations that are personal or thoughtful.
On a grander level, Monogatari feels increasingly at odds with its intersection of the abstract and the real. During the ultimate confrontation Hanekawa never conceptually embraces envy as a piece of her being. For me the scene simply felt at odds with itself. Within the world Hanekawa is trying to act selflessly to save those around her, but on an abstract level she is trying to incorporate emotions often considered ugly into her being. At no point is the tiger really portrayed as a piece of Hanekawa, and even its actions that are tied to her are passed off as coincidental.

Then I guess I just have loose ends. Like...why is Araragi able to see a manifestation of Hanekawa's thoughts? How does him slaying the beast symbolize appropriate character growth, particularly when he just kind of appears from the ether?

While watching the show I feel little reverence for the original text. It mostly just feels like a very awkward and unnecessary translation into another medium.
Well, of course, in terms of the dialogue, that ignores the previous four episodes anyway. Ultimately, it was a conversation by proxy, so it could never have the impact that a Senjou or Shinobu based conversation would have.

Although the tiger is shown as her
envy of others and their family, the subtext is that she is jealous of Senjou and her relationship with Ararararararagi. Whether or not that in itself is problematic or destructive, because of what that represents in anime/nerd culture, is something else I suppose. But given how definitive Araragi has always been - since Bakemono - about his feelings, it's at least not as bad as say, everyone wanting to ride Kirito.

Reveal via male gaze?

Disregard.
Furries.

cnet128

Banned
Perspective is hard.

I'm not expecting a great deal of animation from SHAFT but I have come to expect them to step up their game when it counts. The "fight" between Cat and Tiger would've been one of those moments, in Bake or Nise, that would've received the star treatment, even if it was only for a few seconds. But here we just get Precure level tweening.

Can't really comment on the animation in the recent Monogatari episodes since I'm still two behind, but if Shaft have been skimping on the animation in action scenes, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they're devoting all their budget/effort to making the Kizu movie look glorious =D

Akko>>>Sucy. Truth.

Agreed.

kiniro mosaic 5

this show would work better if it was like... middleschool?

idk what y'alls highschool is like, but people were smoking weed, giving each other head, getting pregnant and shit...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Can't really comment on the animation in the recent Monogatari episodes since I'm still two behind, but if Shaft have been skimping on the animation in action scenes, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they're devoting all their budget/effort to making the Kizu movie look glorious =D

Jokes.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
kiniro mosaic 5

this show would work better if it was like... middleschool?

idk what y'alls highschool is like, but people were smoking weed, giving each other head, getting pregnant and shit...

That was middle school here too. Kinmoza would be an extremely idealized depiction of any level of education, although granted it's even worse at the high-school level given that the characters look and act like children.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Assume it's a private school.

An environment predominated by rich asshole kids? That's even worse. I may be wrong, but I was always under the impression that bullying and rigidly-enforced social pecking orders were more severe in private school environments.

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILYA - 04

Rofl

Teamwork is always the best when it's between magical girls and when it's fuelled by friendship.

Fate%20Kaleid%20Liner%20PRISMA%20ILYA%20-%2004.jpg

Rich girl logic lol

Dat fight ( pretty good ) , dat cliffanger ( so excited for next week )

I don't know why anyone would expect an all-girls slice-of-life show such as K-ON or Yuyushiki to give a realistic depiction of high school with all its warts.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom