• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

Uchouten Kazoku - 05

Even twisted Love is still Love i guess ...

Wild guess : i'm pretty sure the 2 absent from the diner would be the most hard to deal later on.

Just realized that he got a whole face full of boob there. Then again, he can transform into her at will, so maybe a face full of her boobs isn't that exciting anymore.

Oofuri Episode 6 (summer)
tumblr_mr17yrntZj1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mr17yrntZj1qbxqfpo2_500.png

They communicated well even if it came off more of Mihashi in utter admiration for how much Abe cares for him
he said it over three times, I believe
. Abe's comment regarding Tajima and stretching was hilarious, why so paranoid.

Wish they played this episode but hyped for the next one. Hope the good mood continues.

cajunator

Banned
Anyone who says Precure is made for 2ch otaku (or that Toei gives them any thought) doesn't deserve to be taken seriously.

Precure is definitely made for a wide audience. However, like MLP, Toei is most assuredly aware that otakus like it as well.

it is quite possible that Precure has supplanted the old Sailor Moon audience and the new show may not do as well. Theres a generation of kids who know mainstream mahou shoujo as "precure" rather than Sailor Moon.

Precure is definitely made for a wide audience. However, like MLP, Toei is most assuredly aware that otakus like it as well.

it is quite possible that Precure has supplanted the old Sailor Moon audience and the new show may not do as well. Theres a generation of kids who know mainstream mahou shoujo as "precure" rather than Sailor Moon.

The new Sailor Moon, should it ever come out, will be targeted primarily at fans of the old Sailor Moon.

zeroshiki

This came from somewhere

There's a discussion up top that the new Sailor Moon might be an answer to otaku dissatisfaction with Precure. I wanted to call bullshit.

Toei might know that otaku like Precure but they have done absolutely nothing to encourage any of their behavior. Hell, its probably easy money but they refuse to pander to the otaku.

Metrotab

Banned
It's Not My Fault etc. - 2

I really, REALLY love Tomoko's hat. Fits her perfectly and she looks bute cute and rather fashionable with it.

I didn't expect Sugita to show up.

if one piece taught me anything, anime aging is just bigger boobs.

precure 27

aguri is probably one of my more likeable kugalolis for sure. shamef or the nerf though... wonder what this means for the 'final form' in a few months. will Ace get one too?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Squid Girl OVA 2

I really hope this isn't the last Squid Girl we ever get. I don't want it to end. Please pull a Seitokai Yakuindomo and stay alive forever through OVAs. ;_;

Novid

Banned
There's a discussion up top that the new Sailor Moon might be an answer to otaku dissatisfaction with Precure. I wanted to call bullshit.

Toei might know that otaku like Precure but they have done absolutely nothing to encourage any of their behavior. Hell, its probably easy money but they refuse to pander to the otaku.

I see it this way.

Hasbro did the same thing with MLP.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Anyone who says Precure is made for 2ch otaku (or that Toei gives them any thought) doesn't deserve to be taken seriously.
Toei actually addresses the "grown-up audience" in the Smile Precure movie. It's played for a joke, naturally.

That said Novid is cray cray.

Pokemon B/W Adventures in Unova 27

PzIKz9Al.jpg

It's Beedrill! It's only purpose is to show up and scare off everybody!

So we got Team Rocket back to doing nothing but putting on disguises that no one can tell its them and whose only goal is to steal Pikachu. Along with Beedrill doing nothing but showing up and everyone running away.

What a fun episode.

Novid

Banned
Toei actually addresses the "grown-up audience" in the Smile Precure movie. It's played for a joke, naturally.

That said Novid is cray cray.

I'm just passionate and sometimes that passion doesn't work and the bad side shows.

Besides, I could be doing worse things. The worse things are much easier where im at.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I hope someone has the panty shot PDF ready for when people start making dumb comments about how new Sailor Moon is too sexualised.

cajunator

Banned
Last years comic con.

They had ultra rare transformers
Gi Joe first prints
a Jem doll.
another Hasbro toy
and a special edition Pony.

The pony sold out.

Ponies are also the most recent show. Recency bias and all that.

I'm just passionate and sometimes that passion doesn't work and the bad side shows.

Besides, I could be doing worse things. The worse things are much easier where im at.

We appreciate your passion.

OceanBlue

I see why you guys have been praising Uchouten Kazoku so much. I just watched the first three episodes and it's really good! I kinda watched the three episodes back-to-back, so I haven't really given too much thought into what I like about it, but I'm really enjoying it. It's very aesthetically pleasing. Plus it has Nakahara Mai!

Edit: Also, it's kinda hard to believe that it's the same PA Works. I'm almost looking out for CG backgrounds in each scene, lol.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Really? That's what I get for not watching the movies. (Except for Suite, naturally)

The only films worth watching are the Yes 5, Heartcatch, and Smile films, so you're not missing much.

This reminds me that I never did a write-up on All-Stars New Stage 2 even though I thought that it was shockingly stellar for what it was. I'll get around to it at some point.

zeroshiki

The 14th showing of Laputa: Castle in the Sky got ratings of 18.6% last Friday. It was the best ratings Laputa has gotten since the 2007 showing got 19.9%

The "barusu" tweet campaign destroyed the Japanese record of 33k tweets per second set during the New Year hitting a world record high of 143k tweets per second. It unfortunately did not bring Twitter down but it did kill 2ch for a few minutes with everyone posting barusu at the same time.

sonicmj1 and I watched it in the IRC and getting into it was really fun in addition to Laputa being a genuinely awesome movie.

Oreimo 11

Kirino's Tsun was in full display those first 20 minutes. Didn't really mind it in the first half (Manami's cleaning skills were top) but Kyosuke irritation was completely warranted when he started complaining at the party. But good lord, was her dere side in the last few minutes consisted of 100% heartwarming.

She really needs to show that side more often.

cajunator

Banned
The only films worth watching are the Yes 5, Heartcatch, and Smile films, so you're not missing much.

This reminds me that I never did a write-up on All-Stars New Stage 2 even though I thought that it was shockingly stellar for what it was. I'll get around to it at some point.

APOLOGY NOT ACCEPTED

Sailor Moon Sexy/Spinning 93

Today, Usagi wants to be a good wife because she feels less capable than Mamoru, of course everyone was sick of her shit because she's usually not serious, and then she met our outer senshis due to sexy violin play.

Michiru seems like a very capable person with a lot of talent, she should style and profile in the future.

Anywho, I wonder when they'll discover their identities.

Nafe

Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen

Episode 1

(Also known as probably the only anime where someone uses a magically imbued watering can as their main weapon.)

Despite some of the problems the series may have had I personally am a fan of the first Rozen Maiden anime. I can't remember which thread it was but about early last year or even during 2011 at the start of the OT when people usually just joke with "anime is doomed" etc. someone wrote something like "Rozen Maiden Season 3. Believe." Honestly I thought it was one of those things like a third season of Spice & Wolf but even less likely to happen. I was surprised and pleased then when it was announced that more Rozen Maiden anime would indeed be made.

I looked at some of the promotional material and was somewhat disappointed to find out Studio DEEN would be working on this adaptation given some of their current history. Not all hope was lost however as the early episodes of Sankarea proved to be well done for example and the artwork looked rather ornate and detailed. Naturally the detailing made me wonder about the animation quality. In the end I think I was just happy to get more Rozen Maiden even if it turned out potentially disappointing or of lower quality.

VmMNbj4.jpg

Personally I love the designs of the Rozen dolls in this adaptation and how they're so ornate and varied from one another. You can see that Suiseiseki's hair band is insanely detailed and would be probably impossible to animate traditionally. A better look can be found in this image. I can't remember the name of the technique but it's where the object itself isn't actually moving but the pattern on said object is moving to give the look of animation. In this case I really don't mind it just because I like the design of it so much.

This first episode turned out rather well I think aside from maybe trying to condense so much story into one episode. I haven't read the manga so I wasn't sure initially where things would be going post this first episode. It also might not be as much material as it seems as I seem to recall the second half of the anime veered away from the manga and kind of went it's own anime original route regarding the story. That and the first half had some filler material such as the episode revolving around the kind of play "battle" at the households stairwell.

Unfortunately some of the characterization does suffer a bit as Jun and Shinku's introductions don't carry the weight they did in the original and you don't really get the same sense of Jun's hikkomori type lifestyle. You get hints towards Suiseiseki and Souseiseki being close but it again doesn't carry the same impact for first time watchers. I saw some comments about the original anime maybe being somewhat convoluted and perhaps it's because it's been a few years since I've seen the first anime series but I don't really recall it being that complex. Not really any more so than it has been up to this point in this current adaptation anyway.

The first episode more or less sets the stage with all the major elements anyway introducing the audience to the seven Rozen Maiden dolls and the idea of the Alice game and trying to acquire the Rosa Mystica to become "Alice" or what Rozen believes to be the perfect girl.

xPIHKCR.jpg

"Rozen Maiden no daiichi doru. Suigintou."
The Rose bordering used during when the dolls introduce themselves reminded me somewhat of Utena and how it did things similarly with its character introductions.
I also always LOVE Rie Tanaka's voice work for Suigintou. She's the first character I heard her voice or at least certainly take notice of her voice work.

As has been mentioned, the direction in this first episode was really well done and even despite the rushed story elements it should help those still hopefully to understand what is going on. I really liked the use of similarity in the visuals as a transfer from one scene into the next. Right at the beginning you have the rabbit fellow with the letter which transfers into the exterior of the house. Just the way the window is center framed and being vertically rectangular and bisected in the middle reminded me of the letter just previous. The next scene is inside said house where you again see the letter fluttering to the ground. That then is followed by the clock changing time.

This might be over analyzing things and it's just one of those "the blue curtain is just a blue curtain" things but I thought it was interesting how it worked out with the clock and the visual flow just described. The clock could have been a face clock or a digital clock but instead it's an older flip style. The tiles reminded me of the letter in that they are square with a line bisecting the middle, only this time now horizontal to show the letters position on the ground and the number flipped down almost echoing the falling down of the letter.

After seeing the later episodes it's also kind of interesting to look at how one of the first things you see is this clock and how important the idea of time becomes in the story. You could see it as young Jun becoming the older Jun and the idea of only having so much time to deal with Kirakishou. The tiles also remind me of where you have something that's the same but the top and bottom are also different as well. It seems to be a reflection of some of the characters such as Jun. Jun is still Jun and that he knows how to sew for example but they're different in that one is younger and lives in the "wind" world and the other older living in the "unwind" world. This could also be applied somewhat to Shinku. Again, not saying that was all intentional by the direction but these are some of the thoughts I was left with.

iWijAk7.jpg

Another quick scene I liked was that pictured above. For those that don't know, the character pictured in the poster in the back is Dectective Kun-Kun from the first series. Shinku would become a fan of his by watching his television show and obtaining some merchandising. The scene pictured above is Shinku inquiring Suiseiseki to explain about what is going on. With the two sitting there as they are and with what was going on it reminded me of a detective questioning a witness about an event, just like Kun-Kun! It's a pretty quick scene and the poster could have been more of a quick cameo for previous fans but I was again left with these thoughts.

While there's many more examples of nice visual flow or symbolism in this episode, I think my favorite is right near the end with Kirakishou standing on her web transitioning into the moon behind the power lines. Again, it not only presents a nice visual flow but the context makes sense as well where you have these material lines that are ever reaching carrying something which is immaterial.

There's other details present in the show which people might not initially pick up on. Looking at the Rosa Mystica which Shinku is holding you see it emanating out lines of energy. This is a pretty standard thing which many works have done before and people might not pay attention to but if you look at how the rings of energy are presented you can see they're done in a style to reflect that of a rose.

I did notice one error in regards to Suiseiseki and Souseiseki and their heterochromia when the two are looking at each other and the screen transitions. You first see Suiseiseki's teary eyes and the face switches eye colours and the hair spins a different way with the tears removed to show you're now looking at Souseiseki. The hair reverts back as well as the tears reappearing but the eye colour remains the same. I think this was an error in that they should have changed to transition back to Suiseiseki.

---

Haha, this post "winds" up looking much longer than I originally intended. Whenever I get around to next episode comments they won't be anywhere near this long. Maybe just a paragraph, possibly two...probably,haha. Anyway, thanks to those who actually end up reading this whole post (possibly only Branduil and hosannainexcelsis). I'm actually caught up with the show but seeing as there is some support from it I thought I might post some comments now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom