• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silver Spoon 3

The pig is super cute, lots of great drama between the main characters in this show. Author of FMA knows her stuff when it comes to making a real world

MJP 16-17

Can't wait for the Teoria reveal she's Izuru's mother or some shenanigans like that wouldn't that be super awkward lol. Great battle in episode 17 this shows really makes me enjoy CG mecha more then I thought I would..

yamato 2199 6

something i don't get. their gravity field thing is broken, and the ship is upsidedown, why is everything right side up?

I guess it makes sense for the bridge to be able to rotate, but for the whole ship's interior? probably thinking too much.

animeee.PNG

Gvaz

Banned
Watching Initial D.

I think I read like 200 chapters of this or something at one point but i forget what happens in some of it.

Jintor

Soul Eater 24 -DUB-

This series is so fucking hype. Dub delivery is perfect. Comedy and drama are perfectly matched. The sakuga when the dude exploded Black Star and Kid was glorious. Everything about this series is amazing.

Sword Art Online 2 -DUB-

I've seen some stupid fucking shit before but this is some seriously stupid shit. Here's a blue haired guy how about you care about him. Oh look beta testers are evil because they're rationally self-interested and this game is designed so that everybody gets fucked over. Beater. Beater. Beater. Last hit bonus. Noob. Beater.

Black guy was cool though. Asuna's VA seems okay. I already hate Kirito.

One Piece ??? -DUB-

LOL FOXY

Branduil

Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen

Nice post. Your comment on the hairband brings my attention back to the really nice texturing done in this series, the hairband being the most obvious, but it's also used in more subtle ways. The dresses on the dolls, for instance, have a soft sort of grain filter applied that brings to mind soft felt fabrics. And in general, with the subdued watercolor backgrounds and rounded character designs the series has a consistently smoothly textured feel to it. It's a good use of techniques that have only been made practical with digital coloring becoming the norm.

Episode 1

Thanks for the detailed impressions. This show is my only experience with the franchise, so I couldn't pick up on some of the finer points that you did. I think my favorite aspect of the first episode was how it set up the beginning of the second episode, actually. In general, while the first episode's summary may have lacked impact due to how much it had to contain, I think having that background gave added impact to the events in later episodes.

Gvaz

Banned
yamato 2199 6

something i don't get. their gravity field thing is broken, and the ship is upsidedown, why is everything right side up?

I guess it makes sense for the bridge to be able to rotate, but for the whole ship's interior? probably thinking too much.

animeee.PNG

The gravity was working, it was just translated weird or the script was weird. The best way to think of it was the gravity was "on" while upsidedown, keeping them in their seats. When they turned around, it was turned "off"

but of course that doesn't apply in space as gravity applied in the ship, it wouldn't matter if you're up or down because they would be the same.

Shergal

Episode 1
Anyway, thanks to those who actually end up reading this whole post (possibly only Branduil and hosannainexcelsis).

I read it too! Sadly I don't have anything to add, but your point about time was interesting.

Episode 1
Nice writeup! I felt the same way about the first episode as you and many others here. Nice direction with many instances of lovely visuals and symbolism, but condensing so much story into 24 minutes was definitely not ideal. It's interesting reading impressions from someone who is a fan of the series that can pick up on references from its past.

As has been mentioned, the direction in this first episode was really well done and even despite the rushed story elements it should help those still hopefully to understand what is going on. I really liked the use of similarity in the visuals as a transfer from one scene into the next. Right at the beginning you have the rabbit fellow with the letter which transfers into the exterior of the house. Just the way the window is center framed and being vertically rectangular and bisected in the middle reminded me of the letter just previous. The next scene is inside said house where you again see the letter fluttering to the ground. That then is followed by the clock changing time.
Wow, I can't believe I didn't pick on the similarities between the envelope and the door! Thanks for bringing that to my attention! I love detail like that.

Another quick scene I liked was that pictured above. For those that don't know, the character pictured in the poster in the back is Dectective Kun-Kun from the first series. Shinku would become a fan of his by watching his television show and obtaining some merchandising. The scene pictured above is Shinku inquiring Suiseiseki to explain about what is going on. With the two sitting there as they are and with what was going on it reminded me of a detective questioning a witness about an event, just like Kun-Kun! It's a pretty quick scene and the poster could have been more of a quick cameo for previous fans but I was again left with these thoughts.
This is something I know I missed having not seen much of anything from the prior show. I can totally see Shinku's questioning and the back and forth between the two being interpreted as detective work. Nice catch! Now I'm curious if there were any instances like this in recent episodes.

All this talk about height reminds me of a show called Lovely Complex, where it was about the short kid in class and the tall girl in class being interested in each other. The thing I always found funny about the show was that the girl was 5'6'' and the guy was 5'1''.

The girl was considered super tall and was taller then almost every character in the show. The thing is that in America she wouldn't be considered tall since 5'6'' isn't that tall.

Just me being nostalgic over here.

Tenumi

Banned
I'm like 5' 8 1/2 " or so. I'm still wondering how much looks my friends got in Japan. Both are several inches taller than me, and one of them is skinny with really white hair.

Kazzy

All this talk about height reminds me of a show called Lovely Complex, where it was about the short kid in class and the tall girl in class being interested in each other. The thing I always found funny about the show was that the girl was 5'6'' and the guy was 5'1''.

The girl was considered super tall and was taller then almost every character in the show. The thing is that in America she wouldn't be considered tall since 5'6'' isn't that tall.

I found it amusing when I read this description about K-ON!

Mio stands at 5'3", being the tallest in the group

And just within the realm of the shows extended cast, she's considered to be tall. I don't even...

cajunator

Banned

Just me being nostalgic over here.

This show is getting released on disc soon.

I'm like.... 5'5 or 5'6. Bleh. Tiny hands Yayoi gooo

I have large hands despite being a small person. Looks kinda funny.

The Eccentric Family 5

Ah so good. loved everything about this episode. We got to see what the Friday Fellows are. And we got more delicious Benten.
I was surprised to see that it was one of the Friday Fellows who saved Yasaburo's mom. So there is nothing really malevolent about the tanuki hot pot but that some how makes it even more sinister.

cajunator

Banned
$30 isn't so bad for an anime DVD.

I might have to pick it up once I get some spare cash. I never finished the last 3 episodes of Lovely Complex due to me beginning a One Piece marathon before finishing it anyways.

30 used to be the cost of 3-4 episodes, so it definitely isn't!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom