• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Symphogear G 5

That ending 0_o

And there's ANOTHER scene reminiscent of Madoka, only this time it's
an arm instead of a head.
Of course, it's presented with the same amount of impact, even if it's significantly less serious and may even be rendered moot at some point. Still, damn....

Nafe

Thank you for your replies! So many responses! :)

tumblr_mpw8doIln91r3x2t8o1_500.gif

Tumblr gif I know

Nice post. Your comment on the hairband brings my attention back to the really nice texturing done in this series, the hairband being the most obvious, but it's also used in more subtle ways. The dresses on the dolls, for instance, have a soft sort of grain filter applied that brings to mind soft felt fabrics. And in general, with the subdued watercolor backgrounds and rounded character designs the series has a consistently smoothly textured feel to it. It's a good use of techniques that have only been made practical with digital coloring becoming the norm.

It felt like I wrote a lot and yet there's so much more I could comment on in regards to just this first episode alone. You make a good point about the softness. The general colour palate seems more subdued so as to reflect maybe the more serious take this adaptation has as well. I'm not sure for all the dolls but certainly for Shinku I thought it did a good job at mimicking fabric for her dress.

Honestly I'm kind of mixed opinions on the backgrounds. At times I really like the style but other times it almost comes across as just having that kind of filtered photograph effect which makes things seem almost cheaper. Maybe others disagree on this point.

It looks like the OT got a few more replies as well, even if some of them are very misinformed unfortunately.

Thanks for the detailed impressions. This show is my only experience with the franchise, so I couldn't pick up on some of the finer points that you did. I think my favorite aspect of the first episode was how it set up the beginning of the second episode, actually. In general, while the first episode's summary may have lacked impact due to how much it had to contain, I think having that background gave added impact to the events in later episodes.

Yeah, I agree that even if it came across as a bit messy it still should be there as it adds important details about this parallel world idea that's been presented in the story.

While I think this past weeks episode was very well done again, it does cover some material with regards to Suigintou that was introduced in the first series that might have lost a bit of impact or not picked up at all by some viewers. They're not big spoilers or anything so I'll point them out when getting to commenting on the episode.

I read it too! Sadly I don't have anything to add, but your point about time was interesting.

Thank you. :)

I'm sorry. I did think of you after as I recalled reading (and enjoying!) your comments on the show. I normally try to read your comments as I like your posts being one of the people here who is knowledgeable with staff and will go into technical details such as directorial techniques. :)

Nice writeup! I felt the same way about the first episode as you and many others here. Nice direction with many instances of lovely visuals and symbolism, but condensing so much story into 24 minutes was definitely not ideal. It's interesting reading impressions from someone who is a fan of the series that can pick up on references from its past.

Wow, I can't believe I didn't pick on the similarities between the envelope and the door! Thanks for bringing that to my attention! I love detail like that.

This is something I know I missed having not seen much of anything from the prior show. I can totally see Shinku's questioning and the back and forth between the two being interpreted as detective work. Nice catch! Now I'm curious if there were any instances like this in recent episodes.

The pieces of symbolism and visual connectors between scenes are some of my favorite parts of the show so I'll try and point them out or reinforce them whenever I see them.

Yeah, it could be interesting to compare and contrast between the works. As I just mentioned to hosannainexcelsis there's some particulars with Suigintou and Megu this past episode that might get glossed over so I'll be sure to point those out when I get to commenting on the episode.

The gravity was working, it was just translated weird or the script was weird. The best way to think of it was the gravity was "on" while upsidedown, keeping them in their seats. When they turned around, it was turned "off"

but of course that doesn't apply in space as gravity applied in the ship, it wouldn't matter if you're up or down because they would be the same.

idk, people were clearly floating around and the script mention the zero g thingy was broken after the first hit.

I like cute ghost girls.
well I like cute anything but ghosts surely apply as well.
what other shows resemble it?

Well, it's a pretty standard battle series with demons and stuff that kind of relies on the rule of cool to an extent. Maybe Blue Exorcist or Soul Eater are similar? I don't know, something like that. It's just plain fun with cute mixed in.

The show really needed high production values and good set design to sell that kind of color palette, and it has neither.

Not really sure if it deserves such a budget, but it could make it not so shiny for starters

Its not the best looking show but I wouldnt say its ugly.

I think the artstyle reminds me of how I felt about the first episode. It's visually unappealing to me, and it just bores me looking at it.

Honestly I'm kind of mixed opinions on the backgrounds. At times I really like the style but other times it almost comes across as just having that kind of filtered photograph effect which makes things seem almost cheaper. Maybe others disagree on this point.

I think the filtered style is strong enough and consistent enough that the art design remains attractive throughout. Obviously some backgrounds are better than others, but I can't think of anything that's made me think it's particularly cheap or ugly.

While I think this past weeks episode was very well done again, it does cover some material with regards to Suigintou that was introduced in the first series that might have lost a bit of impact or not picked up at all by some viewers. They're not big spoilers or anything so I'll point them out when getting to commenting on the episode.

I have read that the anime took a different tack on this material when compared to the manga, so there may be some discrepancies due to that.

Nafe

I think the filtered style is strong enough and consistent enough that the art design remains attractive throughout. Obviously some backgrounds are better than others, but I can't think of anything that's made me think it's particularly cheap or ugly.

Yeah, maybe it's just me, haha.

I have read that the anime took a different tack on this material when compared to the manga, so there may be some discrepancies due to that.

Sorry, I meant more highlighted in the first series. Like the relationship between the twins for example, it's elements that exist in all works but weren't as focused on here so some might not see it as much perhaps. I'll explain it in more detail later.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, maybe it's just me, haha.

Sorry, I meant more highlighted in the first series. Like the relationship between the twins for example, it's elements that exist in all works but weren't as focused on here so some might not see it as much perhaps. I'll explain it in more detail later.

Nife is that Suigintou in your avy?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So what shows are worth watching this season?

About to hit up Love Lab and Kiniro Mosaic but was looking for something a little less :sdburton as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom