• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

Yeah, but the term Beater is contrived even when you move past the fact that it's a hilarious masturbation joke in English. They bitch at Kirito for being a Beta Cheater. People call him a Beater well after the points where the Beta ended, and the entire thing hinges on one guy stammering the words together and everyone just rolling with it. Nevermind that playing the Beta isn't equal to cheating, and that the guy who died had also played the Beta.

Keep in mind that combining different words like that is fairly common in Japan's online communities. Monster Hunter becomes "MonHun", "Smash Brothers" becomes "SmaBro". It doesn't translate well, but it's not weird for Japan.

Quasar

Watched both #6 of Dog and Scissors and #5 of The World God Only Knows: Goddesses.

Fun times. Again Dog and Scissors entertains me more than it has a right to, and I still have no idea why. Its more than just Marina Inoue.

And the Goddesses episode was pretty damn great too. More entertaining to me than the last episode or two has been. In part I guess because of Keima being out of his element a bit. Also because
Elseee returns. The show really suffers for me when she isn't around

Jintor

god fucking damnit crunchyroll i just want to watch the first episode of eccentric family what's fucking wrong with you

Jintor

Eccentric Family 01

I love how alive this world is, how dense and crowded it feels. The animation style is very clean and appealing, the backgrounds lush and detailed. And background characters are actually animated (sometimes), which is nice!

It's got a very urban fantasy vibe to it which I like, characters doing utterly inexplicable-seeming things for reasons that don't make a lot of sense to us but that within the rules of another world are utterly... if not banal, at least expected. But I like the vibe of characters knowing more than the viewer.

Picked up.

Taruranto

Well, uh.

Japan?

I'd rather have a Nanami dakimura.

aGHSWyO.jpg

cnet128

Banned
The only real problem with the higurashi adaptation is the fact that they didn't put in the anime things that couldn't be in the anime except via very long monologues from every member of the cast.

In short : higurashi , while flawed was a fine adaptation.

Yay, Higurashi talk! One of my favourite series ever (and not just because Satoko is up there with Mayoi as one of the Most Epic Lolis of All Time...though it sure helps).

Personally, I'm aware that there's a lot of criticism of the Higurashi anime, but I never really agreed with it. The anime was my first experience of the series, and I enjoyed every minute of it. Sure, there were a few plot points and details that the anime didn't make as clear as it could have, but it stood on its own just fine as a great experience.

After watching the anime, I went on to play the VNs (specifically, the consumer release on the DS), and while I agree they're probably the better experience because they provide a deeper level of detail and immersion, I don't think that devalues the anime as a perfectly valid way to experience the series.

Umineko, on the other hand...well, I feel like I enjoyed the anime more than most people seemed to, but yeah, the VNs are really the only way to go. I ended up playing the PS3 versions, and I think those are really the definitive form of the series. I can see why they didn't bother adapting the second half into an anime, because the mystery and meta level gets so convoluted (in the best possible way) that it wouldn't really work as an anime no matter how good the adaptation.

There's no way Higurashi wasn't intentionally hilarious. Most of the arcs in the first season were paced and directed as dark comedies, with the outcome being the joke.

Eh, I don't know if I'd call it a dark comedy. It's certainly very comedic at times, and it's part of Ryukishi's style to be very over the top a lot of the time, but I still think the horror elements are supposed to be legitimately tense and disturbing, and I'd say they succeed at that beautifully.

That's one of the great parts of Higurashi, actually: it manages to be enjoyable in a number of different ways. The "daily life" scenes at the beginning of each arc (before everything starts to go wrong) put most slice of life/moe anime to shame in terms of comedy, cuteness, heartwarming and general fun, and then the horror parts that make up a lot of the first two-thirds of the series are legitimately so, so creepy. Then at times, particularly towards the end of the series, it becomes more of a drama (well, perhaps "melodrama" would be the better word considering Ryukishi's over-the-top style), and achieves a ton of great stuff in terms of emotional content as well (the penultimate arc, Minagoroshi-hen, is probably my favourite because of what an amazing emotional ride it was). And then the final arc is basically a release of tension, letting the series go out on a positive note with a rush of fuck-yeah over-the-top what-do-you-mean-this-isn't-awesome moments, plus some legitimate drama interspersed to tie up the remaining character arcs.

If anyone has any doubts about Higurashi being a comedy, they only need to watch ep9-13. What an epic arc. I still remember the emotions going through my head as I watched it, and how the deadpan humor just built up episode after episode, scene after scene, until everything was a blur of hilarity. Higurashi was the fucking bestest.

Pro-tip: When They Cry refers to the audience crying from laughing too hard. :D

Eh, I wouldn't call Tatarigoroshi-hen a comedy. It was more of a massive tragic trainwreck, where everything that could possibly go wrong did go wrong. It was interesting because in a way, it was the first arc that really let the viewer get a glimpse of what was actually going on in the series, but the whole experience was such a massive clusterfuck for Keiichi that you couldn't really make sense of it all. I wasn't laughing during that arc, but it was certainly compelling viewing on a twisted level.

The only thing I know about Higurashi is that this character song or whatever has given me several heart attacks over the years. Also that one recent special with the girl voiced by Yukarin sliding her butt against a window.

Heh, I knew what that link would be before I clicked. Clearly the best of the Higurashi character songs, though I'm partial to quite a few of them.

It truly is the Year of the Snake.

Not until we get a Nadeko arc in Monogatari SS, it isn't!

Keep in mind that combining different words like that is fairly common in Japan's online communities. Monster Hunter becomes "MonHun", "Smash Brothers" becomes "SmaBro". It doesn't translate well, but it's not weird for Japan.

I love those four-kana Japanese abbreviations. They seem so ubiquitous. Oreimo, Haganai, Watamote, etc.

Crunchyroll in that news article was just leering at the chance to the streamer of choice for the new Sailor Moon franchise.

But I got bad news for them.

Hulu gonna get it.

Well since its Kodansha, then it most likely ought to follow how Attack on Titan is streaming, that is, its on Hulu, Funimation.com, and, get this, Crunchyroll too.

Acosta

Nothing like coming home after a long travel and having a bunch of episodes to watch. Hunter x Hunter here I go!

I missed you guys!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Sailor Stars] 173
Suddenly, boy band culture! DTL would be happy.

And so continues Mamoru's further descent into irrelevance. First his schtick was stolen by the Outer Senshi, and now he's literally flown far away from the action. I guess an airplane accident is too outrageous for the scope of this show... or not?

Yay, Higurashi talk! One of my favourite series ever (and not just because Satoko is up there with Mayoi as one of the Most Epic Lolis of All Time...though it sure helps).

Personally, I'm aware that there's a lot of criticism of the Higurashi anime, but I never really agreed with it. The anime was my first experience of the series, and I enjoyed every minute of it. Sure, there were a few plot points and details that the anime didn't make as clear as it could have, but it stood on its own just fine as a great experience.

After watching the anime, I went on to play the VNs (specifically, the consumer release on the DS), and while I agree they're probably the better experience because they provide a deeper level of detail and immersion, I don't think that devalues the anime as a perfectly valid way to experience the series.

Umineko, on the other hand...well, I feel like I enjoyed the anime more than most people seemed to, but yeah, the VNs are really the only way to go. I ended up playing the PS3 versions, and I think those are really the definitive form of the series. I can see why they didn't bother adapting the second half into an anime, because the mystery and meta level gets so convoluted (in the best possible way) that it wouldn't really work as an anime no matter how good the adaptation.
This experience with higurashi is the most common among westerners.
Even if i went to play the games after the first season ended.

Eh, I don't know if I'd call it a dark comedy. It's certainly very comedic at times, and it's part of Ryukishi's style to be very over the top at lot of the time, but I still think the horror elements are supposed to be legitimately tense and disturbing, and I'd say they succeed at that beautifully.

That's one of the great parts of Higurashi, actually: it manages to be enjoyable in a number of different ways. The "daily life" scenes at the beginning of each arc (before everything starts to go wrong) put most slice of life/moe anime to shame in terms of comedy, cuteness, heartwarming and general fun, and then the horror parts that make up a lot of the first two-thirds of the series are legitimately so, so creepy. Then at times, particularly towards the end of the series, it becomes more of a drama (well, perhaps "melodrama" would be the better word considering Ryukishi's over-the-top style), and achieves a ton of great stuff in terms of emotional content as well (the penultimate arc, Minagoroshi-hen, is probably my favourite because of what an amazing emotional ride it was). And then the final arc is basically a release of tension, letting the series go out on a positive note with a rush of fuck-yeah over-the-top what-do-you-mean-this-isn't-awesome moments, plus some legitimate drama interspersed to tie up the remaining character arcs.
Well when you factor in that this is what the writter comes up after playing too many KEY visual novels . i think this put everything into perspective.
Higurashi , while impressive is a twisted parody. and it shows when you adapt some bit in anime.

Eh, I wouldn't call Tatarigoroshi-hen a comedy. It was more of a massive tragic trainwreck, where everything that could possibly go wrong did go wrong. It was interesting because in a way, it was the first arc that really let the viewer get a glimpse of what was actually going on in the series, but the whole experience was such a massive clusterfuck for Keiichi that you couldn't really make sense of it all. I wasn't laughing during that arc, but it was certainly compelling viewing on a twisted level.
This isn't the worst " everything wrong happen" arc.
The problem i have with this arc is that the information usefull to guess the answer is sooo buried in a sea of nonsense and i honnestly didn't get it untill i saw/read the answer arc for this event later. The only thing to remember really is how this arc ended.

Heh, I knew what that link would be before I clicked. Clearly the best of the Higurashi character songs, though I'm partial to quite a few of them.

At least everyone agrees that higurashi as a whole had great music.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wonder how far back they'll go.
They've had some older shows that may or may not be called classics. But this is something that appeared for one season and is, unless this is predating some announcement, probably not coming back. Even the light novels are done, so there's nothing to pimp!

Narag

They've had some older shows that may or may not be called classics. But this is something that appeared for one season and is, unless this is predating some announcement, probably not coming back. Even the light novels are done, so there's nothing to pimp!

What a world this is if the waifu app leaks an annoucement.

Kazzy

I'm more impressed that people are still interested in cyberspace stories.

I'm more impressed that people are still talking about SAO. Yes, it's currently airing on Toonami, but that doesn't stop the scores of detractors (us) from feeling the need to chime in.

They won!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What a world this is if the waifu app leaks an annoucement.
It's all about synergizing your comarketing efforts!

I will say, the waifu app has opened my eyes to what the anime merchandise machine is like. From CDs to magazines to light novels to manga adaptations to video games to figures to the anime itself, it's all connected together in one giant nerd-exploitation machine. It's amazing. lol

Narag

It's all about synergizing your comarketing efforts!

I will say, the waifu app has opened my eyes to what the anime merchandise machine is like. From CDs to magazines to light novels to manga adaptations to video games to figures to the anime itself, it's all connected together in one giant nerd-exploitation machine. It's amazing. lol

I've a soft spot for the merch commecials I'd see on dvds and shit and how everything under the sun would be shilled. Glass Fleet had some funny dvd commercials where it's all "Buy this modestly priced regular box set if you like the show only. Orrrrrr get the super deluxe set for twice the price since it includes a harmonica!!"

That said, some of the Jojo merch tie-in commercials were pretty neat.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've a soft spot for the merch commecials I'd see on dvds and shit and how everything under the sun would be shilled. Glass Fleet had some funny dvd commercials where it's all "Buy this modestly priced regular box set if you like the show only. Orrrrrr get the super deluxe set for twice the price since it includes a harmonica!!"

That said, some of the Jojo merch tie-in commercials were pretty neat.

I still remember when they sold the phone from Eden of the East. lol

Acosta

Hunter X Hunter 90/91

Soooo....

We had several episodes preceding the final fight between Gon and Knuckle and you decide to resolve it with half the fight and a flashback? Pretty anticlimactic...

The design of the Chimera Ant King is lame as hell.

But I'm intrigued on what is going to happen, Gon and Kilua look down as they never had been, Hunter X Hunter keeps being good at not painting his main characters as invincible guys who can overcome any challenge just being more angry.

And the "math overload" of Gon in 90 was awesome, I was laughing loud at that.

Time for il sole penetra le illusioni.

Eh, I don't know if I'd call it a dark comedy. It's certainly very comedic at times, and it's part of Ryukishi's style to be very over the top at lot of the time, but I still think the horror elements are supposed to be legitimately tense and disturbing, and I'd say they succeed at that beautifully.

My thoughts exactly. I loved the Higurashi series and I remember i got into it because I thought it was a slice of life comedy (I don't even know how I came to this conclusion) but I was wrong. Instead it was a mix of slice of life and horror, with a tiny bit of comedy on the side. While I usually don't watch anime with no comedy, I couldn't resist keep watching it because after what Ren did on the first few episodes it had me hooked. I still remember jumping from my seat when they went to Keichii's door if anyone remembers that scene.

The anime really knows how to separate the drama, happy scenes with the emotional scary ones.

MikeMyers

[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Sailor Stars] 173

Suddenly, boy band culture! DTL would be happy.

And so continues Mamoru's further descent into irrelevance. First his schtick was stolen by the Outer Senshi, and now he's literally flown far away from the action. I guess an airplane accident is too outrageous for the scope of this show... or not?

About the spoiler...

He's dead, the big bad of the season killed him

Dynedom

First Patlabor movie was fantastic. Still soaking it in so no in-depth post just yet. I'm hoping the second and third movies are as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom