• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Steins;Gate 14

I wasn't going to write this one up at first. I didn't really want to flood animegaf with my impressions of a show most of you have already watched long ago. Then, a certain set of completely world changing rule shifts happened and I desperately feel the need to get my opinion written down prior to future events possibly recoloring my opinions of what happens here.

Ok, this episode was pretty fantastic. Some great dark drama involving Okarin
trying and failing repeatedly to save Mayuri.
. The show really does a great job making his character really feel like he's taken a major psychological blow from all these events. I feel like he comes out of it a bit too quickly, but that's really what's needed to keep the plot moving. We also get the reveal that Part-timer is
John TItor
. Didn't guess that one. I knew
she was obviously a time traveler, but I felt she was someone looking for John Titor
. My crazy theory was that she
was Okarin's daughter and she was following a time traveling future Okarin who was going by the name John Titor
. I still sort of believe the first part.

The biggest thing that happened, and the thing I'm kind of mixed on, is that they sort of made a major change to the rules of time travel in this world. As it was sort of explained at the beginning and how I perceived it up until now was that everything was completely governed by causal relationships. As you made past changes, you shifted yourself to one of the infinite parallel world lines. Due to the butterfly effect, those changes in the new world line could be much larger than you expected. Now we find out that's not entirely true. Now we find out that
the world lines are clustered to all converge at certain major events and it's impossible to move from one cluster to another outside of certain inflection points
. Not really a fan of this idea honestly. It moves the series away
from causality and more towards predestination. An idea that doesn't really fit with the way the series has been presented up until now
. Now this opinion could change as they explain the rules more. Basic things like
Why is Mayuri's death so hard locked in these world clusters?
. Also, a small but goofier question I hope the answer is why the hell
the Gulf War of all things is one of those "inflection points"
. Still on board, but this move does makes me a little nervous that they may much up some of what I like about the series before the end. I'm confident they won't, but it seems possible now.

Steins;Gate 14

I wasn't going to write this one up at first. I didn't really want to flood animegaf with my impressions of a show most of you have already watched long ago. Then, a certain set of completely world changing rule shifts happened and I desperately feel the need to get my opinion written down prior to future events possibly recoloring my opinions of what happens here.

. The show really does a great job making his character really feel like he's taken a major psychological blow from all these events. I feel like he comes out of it a bit too quickly, but that's really what's needed to keep the plot moving. We also get the reveal that Part-timer is
John TItor
she was obviously a time traveler, but I felt she was someone looking for John Titor
was Okarin's daughter and she was following a time traveling future Okarin who was going by the name John Titor

The biggest thing that happened, and the thing I'm kind of mixed on, is that they sort of made a major change to the rules of time travel in this world. As it was sort of explained at the beginning and how I perceived it up until now was that everything was completely governed by causal relationships. As you made past changes, you shifted yourself to one of the infinite parallel world lines. Due to the butterfly effect, those changes in the new world line could be much larger than you expected. Now we find out that's not entirely true. Now we find out that
the world lines are clustered to all converge at certain major events and it's impossible to move from one cluster to another outside of certain inflection points
from causality and more towards predestination. An idea that doesn't really fit with the way the series has been presented up until now
. Now this opinion could change as they explain the rules more. Basic things like
. Still on board, but this move does makes me a little nervous that they may much up some of what I like about the series before the end. I'm confident they won't, but it seems possible now.

I wanna say something about Suzuha (the part-timer), but I can't. It's not even a spoiler; it's more like a hint. I don't want to risk it, though.

It'll be obvious soon enough.

cajunator

Banned
Steins;Gate 14

John TItor

It does seem to change the rules a bit on occasion but IMO not enough to mess it up.
This kind of story is extremely difficult to nail down perfectly and iron out the inconsistencies.

Hayate no Gotoku! 42

jvoRmn5l.jpg

Attack of the Hayates.

fertygo

MJP - 18
Okay, that was awesome.. man when this show good its that good, the character art also look surprisingly nice in this episode.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Chu-Bra!! Episode 2: I don't think I have ever encountered a show this obsessed with undergarments and indeed the particulars of undergarments.

Servant x Service - 2

I wasn't so sure with the first episode, but this series is a nice contrast to everything else I'm watching. Slice-of-life series always seem to be very hit-or-miss for me.

Plus, Lucy is adorable~

CorvoSol

It's really amazing how it went from absolutely awful to really good.

It's not my favorite UC series (Zeta always wins, although the original is a close second), but Judau is probably my favorite UC Gundam protagonist.

I kinda feel like Zeta went the opposite way. It started strong and then crashed. Mostly because I got sick of seeing people steal a something to escape the Argama and then listening to Reccoa and Sarah whine about Master Poptarts.

Of course I also watched the English dub so that didn't help. I just don't like Zeta as much as ZZ, even if the Zeta is cooler than the ZZ.

CorvoSol

So DTL's post about Gundam AGE today reminded me of the one good female character and in general one of the only good characters in that show:

I don't remember this girl's name because I mean, it was Gundam AGE and if your name isn't Yurin why the fuck are you a girl in Gundam AGE, but she was kick ass enough, and she didn't sit around and spread her legs politely waiting for an Asuno baby to pop out. She also didn't have a tragic back story or die in a battle. Girl broke just about every rule that Hino set down for women in that show, so congrats to her.

Her name is Arisa Gunhale.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Love Lab Episode 6: Welp, the day has finally come
the guys from Minami Middle School are here at last
and holy shit did this episode take a nose dive when
Nagino Satoshi rear his generic head into this mix.
Otherwise it manged to keep things amusing with the Love Lab antics and it looks like the research advice is spreading and indeed the Newspaper Club is closer to cracking the truth.

CorvoSol

I think he meant to quote ninja turtles

I did, but I'm going to leave it because it is funnier that I was wrong.

Megas XLR 204

Goat, at E3, referring to a new Volleyball game: "I just hope they improved the secondary motion engine. It makes the uh *shifty eyes* backgrounds look better."

Right over the heads of all the kids in the audience, that'n.

Branduil

Rozen Maiden 6

This show continues to be an enjoyable and surprisingly insightful drama. Jun's conversation with his boss was revealing in what it said about each character- someone really needs to kick that guy's ass, by the way. What a slimeball.

On the doll side of things, this episode has a lot more exposition about their goal and obstacles than any of the previous ones, but it's skillfully woven into the believable and humorously antagonistic relationship between Shinku and Suigintou.

It seems like poor Jun just can't catch a break, and he's on the path to making bad decisions again.
That e-mail is kind of ridiculously suspicious, and the fact that he's not telling Shinku about it means he knows she would find it suspicious as well. Unfortunately, his desire for happiness is getting in the way of his good sense.

The art direction continues to be very strong for this show, it really feels like the coherent vision of a skilled visual artist. The storyboarding was strong again in this episode, especially in the judicious use of closeups during conversations. Some decent animation as well.

igi6fkl0WI5si.gif

cajunator

Banned
Rozen Maiden 6

This show continues to be an enjoyable and surprisingly insightful drama. Jun's conversation with his boss was revealing in what it said about each character- someone really needs to kick that guy's ass, by the way. What a slimeball.

On the doll side of things, this episode has a lot more exposition about their goal and obstacles than any of the previous ones, but it's skillfully woven into the believable and humorously antagonistic relationship between Shinku and Suigintou.

It seems like poor Jun just can't catch a break, and he's on the path to making bad decisions again.
That e-mail is kind of ridiculously suspicious, and the fact that he's not telling Shinku about it means he knows she would find it suspicious as well. Unfortunately, his desire for happiness is getting in the way of his good sense.

The art direction continues to be very strong for this show, it really feels like the coherent vision of a skilled visual artist. The storyboarding was strong again in this episode, especially in the judicious use of closeups during conversations. Some decent animation as well.

igi6fkl0WI5si.gif

Isnt this by Deen? It looks a bit higher quality than Im used to seeing from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom