• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrovex

Utena 38

Well that was an unexpected end for that duel. Time to write up this email to my former professor about a recommendation letter for JET, and then to finish this final episode of Utena.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gatchaman Crowds Episode 5: I do have to say this show is growing more and more on me as the episodes go by, in fact, were it not for Love Lab I would say this is the show of the season. Anyway, seems like the theme of this episode was dissension in the ranks and on the nature of heroes and leaders, also the lamest and nerdist field trip I have ever seen.

Syrinx

Watamote 1

I was apprehensive about starting this because a lot of people were talking about how this show makes you cringe and hits close to home and makes you hate yourself or whatever. But it seemed popular around these parts so I decided to give it a try. In some ways this hit close to home and made me say "Oh damn, I've been there" (to some degree), and in others it didn't, but this made for a pretty enjoyable watch. I'm hoping she'll make at least some progress by the end of the show.

cajunator

Banned
Watamote 1

I was apprehensive about starting this because a lot of people were talking about how this show makes you cringe and hits close to home and makes you hate yourself or whatever. But it seemed popular around these parts so I decided to give it a try. In some ways this hit close to home and made me say "Oh damn, I've been there" (to some degree), and in others it didn't, but this made for a pretty enjoyable watch. I'm hoping she'll make at least some progress by the end of the show.

Its not really that cringeworthy but it does absolutely nail a few things.

Theonik

Armored Trooper VOTOMS 41
Fuck yeah
Rushako!
Chirico is broken. Nerf please.
Those twins are really getting to my nerves.

7Th

Yuzuru Tachikawa (Death Billiards) talks about his Kill la Kill episode (7):

Tachikawa said he’s good friends with Masahiko Otsuka and he asked him to work on an episode of Kill La Kill after Anime Mirai. Tachikawa admitted that his style doesn’t fit Gainax/Trigger, but Otsuka said the episode works specifically for him because Tachikawa portrays money, greed, and other aspects of the human condition very well.

https://twitter.com/linkington

Syrinx

Gurren Lagann 2

I decided Kill La Kill looks cool, so I picked this back up in something of a preparation.

Didn't know you could hijack one of those Gunmen. But at least Kamina has his own now. Wonder how he'll change as a result of learning his father is dead. He seemed to be the source of all his spirit and optimism, so realizing that he's kicked the bucket up in this dangerous world has to give him something of a blow.

Kainazzo

Its not really that cringeworthy but it does absolutely nail a few things.

If I can ask about Wakamote,
does she make any progress? If so, is it major and character changing, or minor with hope that she'll continue in a series we'll never see?
I'd hate to watch the whole series only to see otherwise; having it would certainly put it on my watch list.

Quasar

Tamayura: MORE AGGRESSIVE
VWGJpVkl.jpg

:firehawk lol

Although, I just realized... SatoJun gets away with a lot of stuff by having an all female cast I suppose. If any of the adults in this universe were male, none of this story would work. :p

And I suppose it's interesting that the whole idea of the Bed and Breakfast is foreign to most Japanese people.

I really liked this episode. Allowing Potte to interact with people her dad knew, following in his footsteps, and hearing tales about him was cool. Also a travel episode plays right into its strengths artwise.

I think you could have done the story if the co-worker was a dude, just that it would have to be a bit different - especially the emotional confession of hers.

Necrovex

Utena 39

Fantastic ending to a fantastic series. I shall miss the Utena crew. I know there's a movie out there, but is it a recap of everything or a legitimate sequel?

Anyway, I wouldn't change anything about this series. I can understand the hype for this show.

cajunator

Banned
If I can ask about Wakamote,
does she make any progress? If so, is it major and character changing, or minor with hope that she'll continue in a series we'll never see?
I'd hate to watch the whole series only to see otherwise; having it would certainly put it on my watch list.

She hasnt yet. I don't think she actually does.

Syrinx

Utena 39

Fantastic ending to a fantastic series. I shall miss the Utena crew. I know there's a movie out there, but is it a recap of everything or a legitimate sequel?

Anyway, I wouldn't change anything about this series. I can understand the hype for this show.

The movie's mostly a retelling, but it's worth watching, just cause it's so insane. And it's great visually.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Another 2

This dude dense as fuck, and it's not even a harem show.
How can they talk about countermeasures, keep a secret so blatantly from you time and time and time and time again and you don't have the balls to go, "Hold the fuck up. Tell me what's going the fuck on."

I am really loving the sound design and the show's atmosphere though. Very well crafted.

BluWacky

Masao Maruyama has confirmed that Watanabe will be announcing his new show with Bones at Otakon:

bayoab's excellent panel transcripts that he's been doing for years said:
17:01:39 <bay|Ota|Maruyama> i also brought shinichiro watanabe who is here to announce his animation which is with bones

Maruyama also stated for the umpteenth time that he wants to animate Pluto (SOMEONE GIVE HIM ALL THE MONIES), along with To All The Corners Of The World (which I think he's announced before?) and The Dream Machine. I guess he just needs the capital to do so for all of them :(

Theonik

Armored Trooper VOTOMS 45
So that's what that guy was after. Still doesn't answer everything. I suppose it can be assumed that the ship was controlled by 'that' too?
This went really crazy really fast.

Dresden

Maruyama also stated for the umpteenth time that he wants to animate Pluto (SOMEONE GIVE HIM ALL THE MONIES), along with To All The Corners Of The World (which I think he's announced before?) and The Dream Machine. I guess he just needs the capital to do so for all of them :(

Yeah, the Fumiyo Kono adapt was announced a while back, but there's still no funding. :(

Link to the transcript for those curious.

It had an awesome ED too.

Id have Arata: The Legend as my favorite OP of last season. Genesis Aria never got old and then Id also have SNAFU's OP there too, love the song.

Will listen. Shame this mediocre anime had such nice music and the thing is its like a common thing with bad/mediocre anime. Guilty Crown is one of the biggest offenders of this. Such a good OST.

cnet128

Banned
I have a question. What was anime-gafs best opening for last season. Just heard Devil Survivor's 2 opening and its now my favourite.

It's a close call between Aku no Hana, Muromi-san and Shingeki no Kyojin for me.

Wait, Gargantia had a great OP too. Maybe I should give it to that.

I can't choose ~.~

Syrinx

The Rose of Versailles 6

Wait, three years have passed already? Shit.

This was the first time they really showed the crippling poverty many were experiencing around this time in Paris and in other parts. This part seems to center around a family that has noble ancestors but ended up falling out after the last name died. That Jeanne girl seems to be the next in line to take a shot at Antoinette. Also another duke is getting his hands dirty to try and take her out. Antoinette's childlike charm that Oscar speaks of contrasts greatly with just how dangerous her situation is, as some powerful people want her dead, even if she doesn't realize it.

cajunator

Banned
Attack on Titan, Haiyore Nyaruko-san W, and Gargantia are my favourite openings from last season.

Gargantia really had some good themes.

I'm counting on you to notify me if a decent Kurumi figure gets released. Ultimate Madoka was supposed to be the only one I was ever going to buy but... well, you know how it is.

Will do. If I see a Kurumi figure at any point, first I buy it immediately then I post here squeeing about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom