• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
It was
Okarin depressed and lethargic over the choice of Kurisu and Mayurin. Okarin and Kurisu admitting that they love each other. Okarin and Kurisu having a pretty amazing goodbye scene and Okarin returning to the original timeline and throwing out the phone microwave.

Oh god. THAT episode >_
Wow. Yeah I had to take a break after that one.

gM5XdoS.jpg

Freed sure has some nice quotes now and then

Highschool DxD New 5

Kiba's moment with his friends was touching. Music definitely set the mood well.

Valiper was borderline incompetent. Leisurely throwing an enemy a potential power up and realizing his mistake with an "oh crap" face not a minute later, was so freaking stupid.

Guess he must have lost a ton of brain cells after seeing that Koneko pose in the intermission.

http://wizardbarristers.com/

Wizard Barristers

Concept/Director: Yasuomi Umetsu
Animation Production: ARMS

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3sIxFTDBMQ

I have no idea what I bore witness too, but it intrigues me.

Gurren Lagann 3

I forget who that little guy who follows Simon around is.

That was pretty ballsy/reckless/insane of Kamina to just put Lagann on top of Gurren like that. The drill ended up being, like, not even a foot from his head. But hey, whatever works. I don't know how that worked, but it did. I guess desperate times call for desperate measures; after all, that "human eradication squad" or whatever dude's Beastman was kicking Gurren's ass.

Now they're off to the base of these Gunmen. Sparks are surely going to fly.

You are in for a treat with this show.

Hate the faces.

Interested in the story.

Not really big on a cycling anime.

Doesn't help that I don't really like the character designs.

This could easily turn out to be very good or very bad.

Will give it a chance, at least.

I'm moderately aware of the LN and manga adaption, so I'll give this a look as well.

Syrinx

To Loveru 16

Run's the one that turns into one of them things with a penis when she sneezes, right?

The "sensei" was funny. "Who are you?" "I don't know." "Can I go home now?"

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Love Lab 06
It's interesting to see this show keep expanding. What originally started as something hyper-focused on two specific characters seems to keep growing out by introducing new ones at a regular pace. Seeing the families of the characters kind of expands them out in a weird but interesting way, and the amount of history that is built into certain cast members kind of makes things seem more genuine. It's nice that the show isn't really resting on its laurels, and it is setting up multiple wrinkles and threads that create situations with higher stakes that the comedy can play off of.

Quasar

I really don't understand why Hyouka has not been licensed for any other country for anything. No streams, no disc releases, etc. What is KyoAni thinking?

I don't either really. It seems long enough that any fear of reverse importing would be gone. And its not so odd that it wouldn't sell compared to other things that have been licensed. Hell Madman or Hanabee licensed Chihayafuru I thought.

yami4ct

Steins;Gate 23-24 (END)

That was a nice, sweet ending. For the time they had to pull off something off that complexity, I think they pulled it off. They basically had to do all the work of the previous episodes in the space of 3. I like all the little changes they made in this
new timeline
. Things like what was the cause of the
dystopian future and
. Also, return of the
metal oopa
! Lots of little things made this feel really well thought out.

The plan to
save Kurisu
I felt was pretty well handled. It kind of felt like it bent the rules of the world a bit, but it worked well enough. The fact it didn't go off without a hitch made things interesting, even if
Okarin using his own blood
was a bit predictable. I don't think the end hit the emotional high of episode 22, but it didn't need to either. It was the falling action, the wrap-up to 22's climax.

I was glad to see the show solve the mysteries of
Kurisu's stabbing, Okarin's Reading Steiner
and even the disappearance of the
Metal Oopa
in ways that made sense and weren't entirely predictable. Some really great moments. The one thing the show didn't really solve directly were the weird scenes of
Mayuri and Okarin in prehistoric times
. I take it those are supposed to be thematic, though. Symbolic of the way peoples feelings surpass time and space. In that way, it worked.

If I had a single criticism of the end, it feels like a lot of the side characters didn't really get satisfying caps to their arcs. I don't really feel Moeka, Faris, or Ruka really got any sort of work outside of the episodes that focused on them. I even think that Daru and to a certain extent Mayuri's arcs are sort of just dropped. Daru never even really had much of one. Still, in a story this complicated, I can understand those sacrifices have to be made for the sake of time.

Overall, I think Steins;Gate was a really enjoyable experience. Really hit well on an emotional level. I love good time travel stories, and this one kind of came at it from an angle I've never seen before. I really enjoyed that. It was a nice character piece wrapped up in the guise of sci-fi. It has problems, for sure. Like I said, I don't think it handles side characters that well overall and the pacing of the first handful of episodes is sort of abysmal. Still, those problems are far outweighed by what it accomplishes later on. I don't think it'll make my "all time best" list, but it's certainly a show I really enjoyed. Definitely one of my favorite sci-fi dramas.

Seems like the OVA is the only non-dub thing that Funimation doesn't offer for free streaming. Grrrrrr. Might have to grab a free trial sub so I can check that out.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Turn A Gundam 14

HOLY SHIT IT'S
ZAKUS.
What. How. Damn. Delicious Gundam vs SUMO fight in this episode, too, stacked atop more character development for Diana Soreil as she realizes that the man who looks like the man she loved is not that same man at all. Meanwhile, Harry proves he can kick some
Zaku
ass with his SUMO and does. Most upsetting, though, is the revelation that Lt. Harry really doesn't realize that Loran Cehak and Laura Rola are the same exact person.

Sailor Moon Sexy/Spinning 106

She felt up Minako and Mako's ass. Like a boss. KIDS SHOW

I see we develop more on Haruka and Michiru's past, and how they became Senshis, as well as lovers. They were actually introduced to each other by the victim of the week no less.

It was neat to see Michiru saying that there are Haruka fan freaks at her school saying that they want to go cruisin in Haruka's car forever, and it actually turned out to be Michiru, Haruka had it way back then to make people in lesbians with her. Of course they didn't get close until Michiru really saved her from a rather disturbing looking monster that doesn't fit the mold with any of MotWs. Part of me hopes they can get to Rei or something since she can see the Silence coming up out of the Inner Senshis, but they obivously don't know who they are yet. *sigh*

In any case implied sex at Haruka's place gives me tight feelings on this. KIDS SHOW

CorvoSol

Sailor Moon Sexy/Spinning 106
In any case implied sex at Haruka's place gives me tight feelings on this. KIDS SHOW

Red sports cars are basically a metaphor for sex in Ikuhara shows.
I don't know what I am talking about.

Dai-Guard 7

vpOzNpk.gif

The entire. Episode. To the point where when they beat it, it explodes into white stuff that rains down on the entire city. Anyway, what little of this episode there was aside from giant alien dicks, was spent with Akagi and Shirota getting to know each other and saving each other's lives and becoming bros about it. Which means Akagi is gonna be seriously pissed when Shirota shows up with his military grade Dai-Guard in the near future.

cajunator

Banned
Another wave of Aussie announcements. Hanabee . Madman.

Again no Hyouka. Fail.

Regardless, they got Dennou Coil so Im so fucking jelly.

A Blazblue ANIME?
Please make an Arcana Heart one :D

Steins;Gate 23-24 (END)

That was a nice, sweet ending. For the time they had to pull off something off that complexity, I think they pulled it off. They basically had to do all the work of the previous episodes in the space of 3. I like all the little changes they made in this
new timeline
. Things like what was the cause of the
dystopian future and
. Also, return of the
metal oopa
! Lots of little things made this feel really well thought out.

The plan to
save Kurisu
I felt was pretty well handled. It kind of felt like it bent the rules of the world a bit, but it worked well enough. The fact it didn't go off without a hitch made things interesting, even if
Okarin using his own blood
was a bit predictable. I don't think the end hit the emotional high of episode 22, but it didn't need to either. It was the falling action, the wrap-up to 22's climax.

I was glad to see the show solve the mysteries of
Kurisu's stabbing, Okarin's Reading Steiner
and even the disappearance of the
Metal Oopa
in ways that made sense and weren't entirely predictable. Some really great moments. The one thing the show didn't really solve directly were the weird scenes of
Mayuri and Okarin in prehistoric times
. I take it those are supposed to be thematic, though. Symbolic of the way peoples feelings surpass time and space. In that way, it worked.

If I had a single criticism of the end, it feels like a lot of the side characters didn't really get satisfying caps to their arcs. I don't really feel Moeka, Faris, or Ruka really got any sort of work outside of the episodes that focused on them. I even think that Daru and to a certain extent Mayuri's arcs are sort of just dropped. Daru never even really had much of one. Still, in a story this complicated, I can understand those sacrifices have to be made for the sake of time.

Overall, I think Steins;Gate was a really enjoyable experience. Really hit well on an emotional level. I love good time travel stories, and this one kind of came at it from an angle I've never seen before. I really enjoyed that. It was a nice character piece wrapped up in the guise of sci-fi. It has problems, for sure. Like I said, I don't think it handles side characters that well overall and the pacing of the first handful of episodes is sort of abysmal. Still, those problems are far outweighed by what it accomplishes later on. I don't think it'll make my "all time best" list, but it's certainly a show I really enjoyed. Definitely one of my favorite sci-fi dramas.

Seems like the OVA is the only non-dub thing that Funimation doesn't offer for free streaming. Grrrrrr. Might have to grab a free trial sub so I can check that out.

It definitely had to balance a huge cast of characters and did reasonably well but given the length and amount that had to be covered I think they wrapped everything up about as well as could be done without sacrificing the narrative. Overall it is a hugely enjoyable show with a memorable and likeable cast, great moments throughout, and a great soundtrack. Steins;Gate is really special.
And Kurisu is a GODDESS.

iavi

THE STEINS GATE FILM CONTINUES FROM THE END OF THE ANIME MY GOODNESS

and it's releasing on blu-ray/dvd later this year. Why am I just finding this out.

CorvoSol

Ass Fleet 9

How can they be Royal Family Secrets when Isaq keeps blaring them out in public and the Holy Empire has information on everyone on the ship? Anyway, it is really hard to take Betty seriously as the villain since all the guy seems to be doing is trying to attain power via political means. Hell, Betty doesn't even seem like that bad of a guy. Meanwhile, Cleo is a HUGE ASSHOLE and Michelle is basically only concerned with war and violence.

So basically at this point the bad guy is infinitely more sympathetic than the so called heroes, but none of them are very credible as heroes or villains.

Sailor Moon Sexy/Spinning 107

So Chibiusa has a boy she likes, only to get him stolen by Michiru... 5 minutes in. She didn't even give him that Sweet Apple Pie (Usagi's fault).

Anyway what's interesting is that Chibiusa's sculpture was based on the Holy Grail (FORESHADOW) that was in Neo Queen Serenity's books (why didn't they have clues on what this shit is?).

On that note of foreshadow, I remember making a prediction in regards to S's plot to a friend, and apparently I was right on the mark. Think I'll leave it out of this post.

I have to say though, the melted MotW looks like she has nipples now. KIDS SHOW! At least Chibiusa actually manage to beat Michiru and has her very own boy cock to play with. Near the halfway point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom