• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously I need Anime Limited to get it for the UK, and I hope this means BD and not just DVD (already got those, of course) but fingers crossed!

I could even listen to Mystic Eyes right now. But I won't, because I still have ears.

Do you think they're likely to pick it up? I'm new to anime BDs, but I recently ordered a few on amazon and was surprised there were so many I wanted. Was expecting a much more doom and gloom situation. Anime Ltd. even have TTGL lined up according to their site.

16:44:38 <bay|Ota|FUNi> Q: Streaming for Minamike s4 did well enough to look into the previous seasons?
16:44:46 <bay|Ota|FUNi> A: Don't have an information on that at the moment
16:44:52 <bay|Ota|FUNi> nothing's been talked about or finalized

Come on FUNi, we want Hosaka! I am eagerly wanting to see the four seasons and three OVAs licensed.

Mature

16:38:26 <bay|Ota|FUNi> Q: Which of the sunrise titles will be on BD?
16:38:31 <bay|Ota|FUNi> A: We don't have that information right now

Let the guessing games begin.
Escaflowne? ;_;

I don't actually like murder mystery anime very much (save something as visually interesting as Mouryou no Hako). I feel like they rely on visual and emotional nuances to elevate the more mundane procedural aspects, which most anime can't provide - what little I've seen of Conan, for instance, is killed stone dead (for me) by the animation and pacing.

Of course I'm a disgusting sakuga whore so my tolerance for long-running shows with limited budgets is pretty low, and I'd probably enjoy Conan if I read the manga, but that's just my stance on such things.
The better mysteries in Conan can stand on their great writing alone. Though you're right about the animation and pacing; they're typically inoffensive, but they're rarely something to write home about. Gosho Aoyama inserts a lot of parallels from Detective Conan to classic mystery literature, so you can tell he pays a lot of respect to the actual form and structure of a well written mystery.

Gankutsuou on blu-ray would be godlike.
So long as it's different/better than the Japanese BD release. Apparently it washed out a lot of the finer details in the style Gankutsuou is known for.

BluWacky

Do you think they're likely to pick it up? I'm new to anime BDs, but I recently ordered a few on amazon and was surprised there were so many I wanted. Was expecting a much more doom and gloom situation. Anime Ltd. even have TTGL lined up according to their site.

Andrew Partridge, who runs Anime Ltd, used to work for Bandai's European arm and has retained excellent links with them. I think Anime Ltd are by far the most likely licensor in the UK to get the rights to Esca as a result (since it was Bandai who released the show here first go around).

You're a lucky guy to find most of what you want on BD over here!

JCG

Well, I'd be willing to buy Escaflowne on DVD if they're using the Japanese R2 DVDs and not what Bandai originally released.

BD would be my first choice for such a beautiful show but I wouldn't let it become a make-or-break issue if the alternative still looks great.

duckroll

Well that's disappointing. :/

Gonzo shows were typically made very cheaply, so they have problems holding up when released in HD. It's worse because they're all digital, so.... yeah. :/

Well, I'd be willing to buy Escaflowne on DVD if they're using the Japanese R2 DVDs and not what Bandai originally released.

BD would be my first choice for such a beautiful show but I wouldn't let it become a make-or-break issue if the alternative still looks great.

The Japanese BD release for Escaflowne TV is a complete remaster from the original 35mm prints. I think it would be best to push FUNimation to acquire that for English release. It's amazing.

BluWacky

I'm not sure what they'd do about the cut scenes that were added back in for the Japanese home release in the first few episodes - obviously they were never dubbed as the TV version was what was released in the West the first time round, and I'm not sure how they'd get around that.

If I could chop out the credits sequences from the original DVDs and replace them with proper DVD versions rather than shoddy remastering from the VHS releases then I'd be happy with what I've already got, but delicious BDs would be more than delightful. I nearly imported the Japanese set until good sense prevailed...

JCG

The Japanese BD release for Escaflowne TV is a complete remaster from the original 35mm prints. I think it would be best to push FUNimation to acquire that for English release. It's amazing.

I'm sure of it, but you know how just difficult the Japanese are with BD rights sometimes.

duckroll

I'm sure of it, but you know how just difficult the Japanese are with BD rights sometimes.

I don't think they're difficult. It's just more expensive to press and release blu-rays, and anime is a niche market so all the publishers make up excuses when they want to skim on costs because they don't think they can make the money back.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou/Day Break Illusion Episode 6: As expected this was the focus episode of dime store discount Homura, er, I mean Seira as she gets a pair of friends in order to get some cheap and accelerated pathos that isn't bad per se, but just feels too forced to do over the course of one episode and indeed the expected character strings are being puled in order to puled Seira away from the darkness. I guess next week is the focus episode of the Token Yuri Couple.

Andrew Partridge, who runs Anime Ltd, used to work for Bandai's European arm and has retained excellent links with them. I think Anime Ltd are by far the most likely licensor in the UK to get the rights to Esca as a result (since it was Bandai who released the show here first go around).

You're a lucky guy to find most of what you want on BD over here!

That bodes well then. It's nice to have a better reason to hope than "well they got it, so...".

I think I came out happy with the UK selection because I was expecting there to be nothing and I ordered about 5 shows. Once I've watched those I'll probably be cursing our situation with everyone else :p

oGFXT40.jpg
gYuXgZb.jpg

Mushibugyo 18

Kuro was just adorable throughout the episode. Jinbei really needs to grow some brain cells for once and realize that she has a thing for him.

Rest of the crew have joined up with them. Worth it just for seeing Hibachi letting down her guard and showing off her Tsundere blush.

And Yukimura is certainly proving to be a good villain. Hopefully the fight scenes between his forces and #Team Flower are just as good as the battle against the Hunters.

CorvoSol

Glad that someone is finally picking up all the Sunrise stuff, since several of those old Bandai discs in my collection are starting to show their age by now.

No, Akito the Exiled is an 4-episode OVA/film series. Episode 2 comes out in Japanese theaters next month.

Ah, okay then. I might check it out some time.

duckroll

This can't be a BONES show. I refuse to believe it. It really looks nothing at all like their work. There's just nothing about it which makes it remotely look like a BONES show. They've done kid shows before too, and they certainly don't look like this.

This can't be a BONES show. I refuse to believe it. It really looks nothing at all like their work. There's just nothing about it which makes it remotely look like a BONES show. They've done kid shows before too, and they certainly don't look like this.

It doesn't make sense that a show which appears to be predominantly CG would be the work of BONES. Unless they're subcontracting out everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom