• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Attack on Titan 18

2/2 on good eps since they went past the wall. Nice to be able to be back to genuinely look forward to the next.

Theonik

Rabu Rabu 06
iMIWgSf3bBd2I.png

:SDBurton still going strong
I suppose this is the part where I'm expected to talk about the boys but I will not because honestly who cares. It's all about the Wild One.
So she actually expectedly had a lot of conquests. She was just too dumb to realise.
Maki continues on her path of being disillusioned by men and going down the pure path. JUST YOU WAIT.
Wrong. So wrong.

Articalys

All I know is that the difference between "General Director"/"Chief Director"/"Series Director" and just plain "Director" is important insofar as determining how much input Shinbo has in all the Shaft shows he works on.

Branduil

Attack on Titan 18

iEla7lfbLsAix.jpg
ibvNi6F8JY0bTs.jpg

ibghwwwcWjrr7t.jpg
ibmjzM4gXjoabi.jpg

Attack on waifus.

Another good episode. It's lower budget than the previous one, but all the important scenes are well-animated and we haven't re-entered time crunch hell yet. So far this arc has done a good job of recapturing the sensation of terror and inevitable doom that was so noticeably absent in the latter half of the Trost arc.

cnet128

Banned
Is there anything worth watching this season if I'm not interested in cute things and is not Blood Lad, Genshiken, Silver Spoon or Watamote(would rather just read the manga for these)?

Servant x Service. Gatchaman Crowds. Uchouten Kazoku. These are all top tier shows and do not require appreciation of cute things in order to enjoy them (though in Crowds' case it helps).

Also watch Monogatari SS, starting at the beginning with Bakemonogatari if you haven't already. Because if anime series were waifus, Monogatari would be best girl.

Narag

Another good episode. It's lower budget than the previous one, but all the important scenes are well-animated and we haven't re-entered time crunch hell yet. So far this arc has done a good job of recapturing the sensation of terror and inevitable doom that was so noticeably absent in the latter half of the Trost arc.

How far behind is the show in relation to the manga?

cajunator

Banned
You clearly haven't witnessed a British summer, we go crazy for the sun!
All two days of it.

You can have some of our summer. We get 5 straight months of it. More sun than you can handle!

Jousting is still horrible and the blue skirt, blond girl is still the superior girl.

Houki!!!!

Nyan~

Holy GOD.

Gargantia was good. so there.

Well to be fair, Gargantia looked very promising from the start and delivered on it for the most part.

The staff for this show is for the most part the same as Bebop. Same animation studio as Bebop, same key writers, Watanabe. Except Kawamoto has been swapped out for Ito (who btw did a ton of KA on CB), though im sure hell provide animation too. Just missing confirmation of Kanno.

Thats pretty promising. I like the feel of the PV.

And a very important confirmation too. I honestly would not have enjoyed Bebop as much if it wasn't for the music. Same goes for Aquarion and Ghost in the Shell. Her work is amazing.

Yeah her music puts the show on another plane of existence.

She has a concert tomorrow.

"And now I'm going to play you something from my next project, with Mr Watanabe, Space Dandy."

BELIEVE.

I would say its a very high possibility. Why wouldnt she want to be part of a project like that?

Sentai and Funimation just announced a ton of the Bandai/Sunrise titles they're getting:

Hmmm. might get Crest/Banner of the Stars.

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Act 1

Well the CG is clearly awful, I mean holy shit Luna!

In any case, there's some differences I can see here. I don't recall who the thief was in the anime, but Tuxedo RAMASAMA be a jewel thief? For the Silver Crystal! Which means he's aware of who he is at least. Considering this is also live action, that means more opportunities for underskirts, so I guess it'll be pure pantsu this time around (fat chance there will be any). Anyway, they changed their hair color in their cilivian forms, it's kinda like, why do that? Could've have them rock it out throughout the whole thing. At the same time, it does make their Senshi disguise more convincing overall.

Luna didn't make Usagi into Sailor Moon immediately, but just left her a phone that allows her to transform. Also, the Youma design is clearly different for this one, being a CG abomination of Ooze coming from the MotAct. It feels weird watching live action Sailor Moon though. Is it the low budgetness, or just the overall realism? Who knows.

Seems like the other Senshis will be introduced faster though, as Ami is next episode. I think she's not ready to embrace it though, and Usagi seems to be more accepting of it here.

cajunator

Banned
prism illya 5

so good.

magic.jpg

So very very good.

Gatchaman [C]rowds 5:

I feel bad because when I saw this:

2nrSmBfl.jpg

The first thing that came to mind was this:

scVWh.gif

You arent the only one lol.

Finally a confirmed date for Funimation's Wolf Children BD release: November 12.

Now I can finally see it!

Americas Youth is going to end up like Japanese Youth im fucking sure of it.

That what happens when you have a patriarchal sociality that damns the youth and forgets its own histories. Men and Women practically hate each other in various degrees but breed in order to keep up appearance of a world view that were owned by criminals. The sexuality is to the hilt, we created whole fucking industries for it and yet when it comes the actual act it 3 to 15 mins? The Youth now sees that human sexuality is a Joke. The only reason why we have brothas and bros, and gang life, and bro life and even fucking hipster life is because these men have accepted this malignant form of patriarchy in order to get as many girls as possible. Those that haven't - have gone into this moe/loli/dfc stuff.

Moe/Loli has always been the symptom. Never the cause.

The only way out of it is gender. Transgender Gaf has been a great model of what human beings can become.

If moe is a symptom I dont want a cure.

And there we go -- after the image leak, official confirmation that Funimation now has the licenses for Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star, along with My-HiME, all the various Mai-Otome series, and Escaflowne (including the movie).

Bebop on Blu-ray is dated for 2014.

YES YES YES YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Syrinx

Gurren Lagann 5

I wonder if Kamina is going to have a moment at some point that throws his worldview into a complete tailspin. He just seems so set in his idealism and principles that he really comes off as naive. I have to think that at some point all of this will be called into question. I realize that this isn't really that kind of show. It just seems like something they're setting up for.

I'm concerned about those two kids going forward. I hope they're not that annoying.

cajunator

Banned
WataMote 2

Why'd they censor the puke?

So they will make me buy the blurays.

I have returned.

I did not watch anything the whole week...

Unless Dinosaur Train counts...

welcome back! How did you survive out there?

Mushibugyo 18

Kuro was just adorable throughout the episode. Jinbei really needs to grow some brain cells for once and realize that she has a thing for him.

Rest of the crew have joined up with them. Worth it just for seeing Hibachi letting down her guard and showing off her Tsundere blush.

And Yukimura is certainly proving to be a good villain. Hopefully the fight scenes between his forces and #Team Flower are just as good as the battle against the Hunters.

Shes a cutie. Shes got some kind of Rukia thing going on with her hair.

Help. What the fuck is this garbage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ybVBHlzaMQ

T_T

Sorry duckroll. So very sorry.

wonzo

Banned
[Space Brothers] 69
I don't know if this show just became a little racist or VERY racist.
It's Japan so the later ofc. I mean, the Indian character being some kinda Mystic was racist as fuck so why the hell would they stop there?

CWarrior just anti-hyped Space Dandy, that means it will be good.
Hype meter through the roof now.

Help. What the fuck is this garbage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ybVBHlzaMQ

T_T
This… this isn't Dandy at all. :(

duckroll

The "general director" and "director" thing really doesn't matter. Credits are ultimately just titles people give themselves as labels, and can mean different things from production to production.

For example, if you look at Yamato 2199, Yutaka Izubuchi is the "supervising director", and Akihiro Enomoto is the "chief director". What do these labels mean? Almost nothing. Izubuchi writes and storyboards a bunch of episodes, he is the series director, he makes all the major decisions. Akihiro Enomoto is frequent unit director on the series, but mostly he appears to simply help delegate Izubuchi's creative vision.

There are other examples in other studios and productions where the "supervising director" does very little other than putting his name on the project and being involved in top level meetings. So clearly these labels don't mean the same thing across the board. There is no "standard" so to speak.

cajunator

Banned
Yoko is 13.

This still blows my mind to this day.

Uchouten Kazoku and Rozen Maiden.

Uhm he said no cute and Rozen Maiden is assuredly adorable.

SMASH is always in winter. Less (but not no) skin-bearing cosplayers, but almost no funk.

Well thats the best time for one for exactly this reason!

Being Akarin is suffering.

LOL. this joke never ever gets old.

Bleach 31 - 34 (nth rewatch)

The scene at the end of 34, no matter how many times I reencounter the story is still just powerful
Momo walking all happily then turning after hearing the blood dripping from here Aizen-sama's corpse as it hangs in the pillar in the air and then screaming. 35 hurry

Space Brothers 67:
So many good feelings watching this. The Mutta/Deneil relationship has really blossomed, and it's nice to see their interactions and grasp how everything is helping Mutta's progress, even those weird jokes. It was also nice to see Pico again, and let him get his closure with returning the astronauts to Earth.

The scene where
Mutta finally manages to fly through the other two planes, and those pilots just freak out
was wonderful, and a great release moment.

how was digimon xross wars?

completely forgot that was a thing lol. It was like the first season that had like 3 seasons right?

It's really two separate shows. The first show was split into two seasons, but it's one continuous narrative. Then there was a third season which was commissioned last minute and is an entirely separate show.

About the original Xros Wars, the first 10 or so episodes are pretty bland and formulaic, and even had a big Digimon fan like me questioning if it was worthwhile (which was a position I hated being in after the show was returning to the air after several years off). It starts to get enjoyable around Episode 15 or so, and then the entire second half of the show is great. If I was judging the series only on the second half, I would say it is better than Adventure, but not quite up to the level of Tamers or Savers.

The sequel is incredibly disappointing. Still better than Frontier, because lolFrontier, but pretty bad in general.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Act 1

Well the CG is clearly awful, I mean holy shit Luna!

In any case, there's some differences I can see here. I don't recall who the thief was in the anime, but Tuxedo RAMASAMA be a jewel thief? For the Silver Crystal! Which means he's aware of who he is at least. Considering this is also live action, that means more opportunities for underskirts, so I guess it'll be pure pantsu this time around (fat chance there will be any). Anyway, they changed their hair color in their cilivian forms, it's kinda like, why do that? Could've have them rock it out throughout the whole thing. At the same time, it does make their Senshi disguise more convincing overall.
Except they don't care about keeping their identities that secret, lol.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Rabu Rabu 06

I suppose this is the part where I'm expected to talk about the boys but I will not because honestly who cares. It's all about the Wild One.
So she actually expectedly had a lot of conquests. She was just too dumb to realise.
Maki continues on her path of being disillusioned by men and going down the pure path. JUST YOU WAIT.
Wrong. So wrong.

Love Lab needs to rid the show of icky men. ;_;

Novid

Banned
Toonami doesn't deserve the awesome if this is the faith you're going to exhibit.

Im not even sure it would even air on toonami. They didn't do it for Panty and Stalking - and Space Dandy is on the same vain. Regardless of what Bebop did.

cnet128

Banned
Monogatari SS 6 (Recapmonogatari 1)

I actually quite enjoyed this.

Basically it was just a recap of Nekomonogatari Black. There was a very brief overview of the events of Kizumonogatari right at the beginning, and a brief preview of the beginning of Bakemonogatari at the end (both of which may have been included in the Neko Black airing in the first place, I can't recall), but the bulk of the content was the Tsubasa Family arc covered in one episode. And it was executed really nicely, with all the key points covered, lots of key scenes played out almost in full, and linking narration from Araragi to tie everything together.

I think the main reason I enjoyed it was that when I originally watched Nekomonogatari Black, I did so pretty disconnected from all the other related arcs. It had been a long while since I saw the original Bakemonogatari with the Tsubasa Cat arc, I hadn't read Kizumonogatari at the time, and of course Nekomonogatari White hadn't aired yet. So it was quite fun to watch this condensed version with those arcs all fresh in my mind. The parts with Kisshot/Shinobu in particular were pretty nice to see right after reading Kizu, since of course I was able to recognise the brief scenes that were taken from Kizu itself, and it put other scenes in a whole new light. It was cool to see (Kizu spoilers)
just how little Shinobu had changed during that scene where she confronted Black Hanekawa. Her whole attitude in that scene, particularly the tearing-her-own-arm-off-without-a-second-thought thing, was pure Kisshot. I guess it makes sense, since chronologically that's the first time she emerges from her shell after she's "sealed" at the end of Kizu.

I wonder how many more recap episodes they're going to do - common sense would dictate that they're going to go on to cover all the Bakemonogatari arcs and possibly the two Nise arcs as well, so it seems unlikely they'll be able to devote a full recap episode to each arc - but if they manage to execute them as nicely as this one, I don't think I'll mind watching them at all. These stories bear repeating pretty well.

Now just gimme Kabukimonogatari next week, kay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom